Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
September Updates: Hella CPU gains

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/09/30/dolphin-progress-report-september-2014/

quote:

Dolphin POV-Ray Benchmark: 62% faster
Sonic Colors: 39% faster
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader: 103% faster
F-Zero GX: 110% faster
The Last Story: 38% faster
Xenoblade Chronicles: 40% faster

If your CPU has been a been a bottleneck for you in certain games before, you should really try a recent revision, because the progress they've made in the last two months is crazy.

Hace fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
God drat :stare:

Xenoblade runs alright on my machine already but ~40% faster The Last Story sounds fantastic. Potentially being able to run that game at more than native resolution without having massive slowdowns in fights sounds pretty awesome.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Man, that is super rad. Tempted to give right in to some games but I think I'll wait and see what other magic they pull off.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Kinda-sorta recent versions of Dolphin broke some things in Xenoblade. How's the latest builds doing on that front? Because I am experiencing some slowdown when lots of effects are on the screen and it's sort of bumming me out. Xenoblade with the texture pack and higher resolution rendering looks so much better than on the Wii.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
I really love these update posts.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

pun pundit posted:

Kinda-sorta recent versions of Dolphin broke some things in Xenoblade. How's the latest builds doing on that front? Because I am experiencing some slowdown when lots of effects are on the screen and it's sort of bumming me out. Xenoblade with the texture pack and higher resolution rendering looks so much better than on the Wii.

Yeah, and (at least last time I checked about a month ago) to use the smaller texture pack, you have to use one of the old specialized versions of Dolphin that's pretty old at this point. :/

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Pretty amazing performance improvements there. When's the next Dolphin release scheduled?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just grab the automated builds.

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I really wish cutscenes played at full speed whenever I tried to play Sin and Punishment. The newest version of Dolphin gave me consistent 60fps during gameplay, but those still seem to be pretty lagged with the dialogue.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I really wish they'd update these updated builds to support netplay.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

F. Lobot posted:

I really wish they'd update these updated builds to support netplay.

It supports netplay entirely as far as I know, in fact they recently updated it to support dual-core mode while in netplay.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Wow, apparently all my stupid problems with the newest versions of Dolphin were because the Framelimit had its default set to 5. :confused:

Hopefully the strange graphical errors I've been encountering in Melee (green tints in Peach's Castle, Venom becoming a very green planet, Pokemon stadium looking like somebody pasted green balls over the audience and making the abyss purple.) will go away.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Wow, apparently all my stupid problems with the newest versions of Dolphin were because the Framelimit had its default set to 5.

Wow, was that something you did and forgot about or something that the builds are doing for... some reason?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

wdarkk posted:

Wow, was that something you did and forgot about or something that the builds are doing for... some reason?

I hadn't even ventured into the configuration settings. I thought I had pasted over my config from the previous version so I thought it was an issue with the emulator and not my settings.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
drat, just tried this on my 2013 Macbook Pro and can play Super Mario Sunshine and Waverace Blue Storm perfectly at 60fps!

Can even bump the resolution up a bit on WaveRace and anisotropic filtering and per pixel lighting.

Going to have to try this with some Wii games!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
October updates: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/10/31/dolphin-progress-report-october-2014/

Notably, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door looks to finally actually be emulated correctly! No more corrupted punies! They also seem to have squashed the bug that caused all that crackling in audio when using HLE instead of LLE.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

flatluigi posted:

October updates: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/10/31/dolphin-progress-report-october-2014/

Notably, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door looks to finally actually be emulated correctly! No more corrupted punies! They also seem to have squashed the bug that caused all that crackling in audio when using HLE instead of LLE.

If we can ever have a well emulatable Rogue Squadron II/III along with Metroid Prime 2 then I can finally stop using my Gamecube and it will be a great day. Glad they fixed the TTYD and audio issues with HLE, too.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.
I know this is a Dolphin thread for Wii and Gamecube, but does this forum have a Project 64 section?

If not, I just wanted to ask if it's common to receive a large number of Plugin Incompatibility errors in the ROM list? Most of them are minor video issues (and some standard major ones like Mario Tennis which doesn't want to work properly). Although I wasn't sure if I should expect to run almost everything on a single emulator or if I'd need to swap them around based on the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Sadly, N64 emulation is garbage, so that's absolutely normal. Some games like Paper Mario even work better emulated in Dolphin with the Virtual Console emulator than they do with an actual N64 emulator.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Sadly, N64 emulation is garbage, so that's absolutely normal. Some games like Paper Mario even work better emulated in Dolphin with the Virtual Console emulator than they do with an actual N64 emulator.

Okay, thanks. That's kind of a relief. I was worried I did something wrong. I'm going to stop messing around with all of these plugins because it's driving me crazy.

Would using Dolphin for all of the Virtual Console titles be a better experience than attempting to run the 64 versions? I think I'll probably be sticking to Mario 64 & Zelda for now anyways.

SolitarySolidarity fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 5, 2014

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Actually Paper Mario works alright if you use Glide as a graphics plugin, but yeah, N64 emulation is finicky as hell sometimes and I hate messing around with all the different plugins. That's why Dolphin is probably my favorite emulator, it's the the least messy one I've ever used.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Colonel posted:

Actually Paper Mario works alright if you use Glide as a graphics plugin, but yeah, N64 emulation is finicky as hell sometimes and I hate messing around with all the different plugins. That's why Dolphin is probably my favorite emulator, it's the the least messy one I've ever used.

I wish all emulators were like Dolphin and PPSSPP. PCSX2 is also good, but not quite what I wish it was.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just fired up Dolphin for the first time and it's running great on my i5. However, when I tried to play Skyward Sword it never recognizes that I plug in my Nunchuk. Whenever I try to switch to Hybrid mode on the Wiimote (Google suggested as such) Dolphin crashes and I have to restart. Is this because I don't have Motion Plus controllers? Any ideas on a workaround? I also noticed that Twilight Princess wouldn't respond to my controller at all, so maybe Zelda hates me?

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Is it possible to move my 'Dolphin Emulator' folder out of My Documents and have it continue to save in the new location? I'd like to keep my saves (in addition to the other folders) in the same folder as all of my other emulators, but I don't want to break anything as it seems like the Dolphin Emulator folder in Documents has quite a few other files.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Here SolitarySolidarity, this will explain everything: link

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr E posted:

If we can ever have a well emulatable Rogue Squadron II/III along with Metroid Prime 2 then I can finally stop using my Gamecube and it will be a great day. Glad they fixed the TTYD and audio issues with HLE, too.

Metroid Prime 2 has worked really well for me. I'm playing the PAL Gamecube version, and EFB to RAM has to be enabled for scanning to work, but even on a laptop it's running at a solid 60 fps.

According to the wiki, there are stutters when it generates a new shader, but these happen less frequently after a while. They might start up again if I enter a new area though, but I haven't gotten to Torvus Bog yet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Metroid Prime 2 has worked really well for me. I'm playing the PAL Gamecube version, and EFB to RAM has to be enabled for scanning to work, but even on a laptop it's running at a solid 60 fps.

According to the wiki, there are stutters when it generates a new shader, but these happen less frequently after a while. They might start up again if I enter a new area though, but I haven't gotten to Torvus Bog yet.

Hmm, maybe the issues I have are from my disc being a NTSC copy. I also haven't tried it since I upgraded my computer, so I'll give it a shot again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mr E posted:

Hmm, maybe the issues I have are from my disc being a NTSC copy. I also haven't tried it since I upgraded my computer, so I'll give it a shot again.

I have read that the water effect on your visor on Torvus Bog can cause heavy slowdown, so it might still be a problem there. It might also be worth trying out the Trilogy version, since it has proper widescreen. It's a little glitchy in the Gamecube version since geometry isn't rendered properly outside the normal field of view.

The wiimote controls for the series are really good, but it's still annoying how pointing far enough away from the screen causes it to stop being detected. Changing visors and beams is a pain too, and there's no need to aim independently of your lock-on target outside of some bosses in Metroid Prime 3. They don't give you the option to use the Gamecube controller in the Trilogy version, unlike Resident Evil 4.

E: For reference, it's running at 1080p60 with a laptop i7 at 3.30 GHz and an 860M. I also have a computer with an i5 at 4.40 GHz, but until I find an easy way to transfer save files between them, I don't know which games require that clock speed.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 6, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Metroid Prime Trilogy works pretty well with Mouse+Keyboard. I played through all 3 Primes on a Wii and on Dolphin, and (aside from the slowdowns), i think i prefer Dolphin.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I have read that the water effect on your visor on Torvus Bog can cause heavy slowdown, so it might still be a problem there. It might also be worth trying out the Trilogy version, since it has proper widescreen. It's a little glitchy in the Gamecube version since geometry isn't rendered properly outside the normal field of view.

The wiimote controls for the series are really good, but it's still annoying how pointing far enough away from the screen causes it to stop being detected. Changing visors and beams is a pain too, and there's no need to aim independently of your lock-on target outside of some bosses in Metroid Prime 3. They don't give you the option to use the Gamecube controller in the Trilogy version, unlike Resident Evil 4.

E: For reference, it's running at 1080p60 with a laptop i7 at 3.30 GHz and an 860M. I also have a computer with an i5 at 4.40 GHz, but until I find an easy way to transfer save files between them, I don't know which games require that clock speed.

Don't know if you have some sort of cloud drive, but if you do you could always set your save directory to back up to the cloud, it's what I do with my skydrive for steam saves.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Here SolitarySolidarity, this will explain everything: link

Perfect. Thanks for that.

I've been reading through the FAQ to no avail.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm having issues pairing a wiimote plus. I get it added to my computer with pairing a bluetooth device, then pressing 1+2 simultaneously. After that, the wiimote turns off. I open up Wiimote settings in dolphin with continuous scanning and press 1+2 at the same time, and then the lights on my wiimote plus just continue to blink without actually being paired :sigh: Any idea what could ge going wrong?

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

I'm having terrible performance in SNES VC games. I can't seem to find a fix online. Anyone know optimal settings?

Also, do you guys categorize your files in any particular way or just deal with a mixed list?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SolitarySolidarity posted:

I'm having terrible performance in SNES VC games. I can't seem to find a fix online. Anyone know optimal settings?

Also, do you guys categorize your files in any particular way or just deal with a mixed list?

You'd probably be better off just using a SNES emulator like SNES9x or higan if you want very high accuracy. It might be difficult to convert your current save games though.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Not a new month yet, but a new progress article nonetheless: The Rise of HLE Audio

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Im_Special posted:

Not a new month yet, but a new progress article nonetheless: The Rise of HLE Audio

I just tried MGS Twin Snakes for the hell of it and it's indeed a lot better. Best is Yet To Come music in the intro always had some weird crackling in it so did the voices, but it was less noticeable.
They're really doing great job as always.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't understand any of the really technical stuff (apart from getting the general idea of it) but I love their old vs new videos. Really cool to see how far Dolphin's progressed and see the kinds of things they're knocking out with seemingly every big monthly update.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Seeing all these performance improvements, I can't wait until I upgrade to a Devil Canyon processor from my Nehalem 920.

My CPU was really my biggest bottle neck

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Can anyone help me with my Somic Adventure 2 Battle emulation? I'm getting subtitles and sound on a black screen during cutscenes. I've tried to google a solution, but the facts are so well hidden I can't find the truth. Is it a directx 9/11 thing?

Also, maybe it's just me, but my tower gets so hot during emulation I feel like it could almost melt steel. Probably unrelated. Here's a video of what in getting:

http://youtu.be/3qSRsdkPIq8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I played through the whole game a month or two ago without any issues. Are you using a recent build? DirectX9 was removed a while ago so it sounds to me like you're not.

• Locked thread