Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

The Monkey Man posted:

Does the word "heel" come from "shitheel"?

Heel was a more common slang term in the early 20th century than it is now. It just meant 'bad guy', really, and the (inside) term has stuck since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Here's something I've been wondering in the era of heavily-scripted promos that all sound the same...what happened? During the Attitude era, and for a few years afterward, it seemed Vince realized that people being allowed to ad-lib and get themselves over was best for business. Now, not only are most wrestlers being told to recite every word that has been typed out for them, but those to do improvise or use social media to get themselves over end up punished. It's insane.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Scripted promos are safe, ad-libbing is risky. WWE has no direct competition, so they might as well go with the safe option.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is there a master list of old PPV threads? Was wanting to look at the SummerSlam 2010 thread for some reason, but can't seem to find it.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Didn't a leaked script have word-by-word promos for everybody, except Sandow's segment was just "Sandow antagonizes the crowd"?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shine posted:

Didn't a leaked script have word-by-word promos for everybody, except Sandow's segment was just "Sandow antagonizes the crowd"?

I think the only people allowed to improvise at this point are Rock, Cena, Heyman, Punk, Sandow, Wyatt and Ambrose.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I think the only people allowed to improvise at this point are Rock, Cena, Heyman, Punk, Sandow, Wyatt and Ambrose.

They should let gold and stardust on that list

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Heyman's promos are usually written out in leaked scripts but he probably writes them anyway and goes off-script anyway

Jericho also throws in improvised lines for better or worse

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Is there a master list of old PPV threads? Was wanting to look at the SummerSlam 2010 thread for some reason, but can't seem to find it.

I'll look more later tonight if time permits, but I'm pretty sure the Summerfest 2010 thread is linked somewhere in this thread.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rock and Wyatt both have guys that write out most of their material. It's a safe bet Ambrose does too unless reported otherwise.

The problem isnt scripted promos it's characters not consistently having their own voice.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 2, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

oatgan posted:

Rock and Wyatt both have guys that write out most of their material

Why? All Rock has to do is string together phrases of his past promos inserting the name of the new guy

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
After seeing Michael Hayes in another one of his ridiculous Big Bird suits in the picture threat, it got me thinking about what are some of stupidest Michael Hayes stories from backstage?

So far, I can think of the following:

- Getting drunk at a Wrestlemania party and mouthing off to Mark Henry(?) about him being more black than Henry will ever be.
- Claiming that after HBK's final match, he sat alone in a room with HBK and Undertaker while they all cried together for 30 minutes straight.
- Dressing like a 14 year old kid from 1999 when he managed the Hardys, complete with silky shirt and Jncos.

I know there are a ton more, what is everyone favorite stupid Michael Hayes Moment?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Havoc904 posted:

After seeing Michael Hayes in another one of his ridiculous Big Bird suits in the picture threat, it got me thinking about what are some of stupidest Michael Hayes stories from backstage?

- Getting drunk at a Wrestlemania party and mouthing off to Mark Henry(?) about him being more black than Henry will ever be.
- Claiming that after HBK's final match, he sat alone in a room with HBK and Undertaker while they all cried together for 30 minutes straight.
- Dressing like a 14 year old kid from 1999 when he managed the Hardys, complete with silky shirt and Jncos.

I know there are a ton more, what is everyone favorite stupid Michael Hayes Moment?

Causing Rosa Mendes to relapse.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This has been accidentally bookmarked in a wrong folder for like 4 years now, glad it came in handy!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3339039&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Also it's in a random subforum of FYAD, what.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
How was Eugene allowed to do the Stunner/Rock Bottom/People's Elbow as finishers? Was Stone Cold and The Rock cool with it or was it never an issue?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Probably because he wasnt a threat to either of them and there was no way hell he would have a legit shot at the main event other than comedy jobber.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

keevo posted:

How was Eugene allowed to do the Stunner/Rock Bottom/People's Elbow as finishers? Was Stone Cold and The Rock cool with it or was it never an issue?

He didn't know better.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nick_326 posted:

September 23 or something, but it was also on this week's RAW and WWE were wise enough to put it on their channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQWVf2v_WE8&list=UUJ5v_MCY6GNUBTO8-D3XoAg

I hadn't realized before how well the 3MB riff fits into Titus's theme's beat. It works surprisingly much better than most of the mashups they've ever tried for makeshift tag teams.

I also like that the video is like 50% wrestling and 50% backstage antics.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

I hadn't realized before how well the 3MB riff fits into Titus's theme's beat. It works surprisingly much better than most of the mashups they've ever tried for makeshift tag teams.

I also like that the video is like 50% wrestling and 50% backstage antics.

Please let Darren Young be in their stable.

Or at least feud with them so he can call Titus out for being unable to make it without a goofy fun tag team partner after all his big talk when he broke up PTP.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Havoc904 posted:

Michael Hayes getting drunk/high during the 2002 Plane Ride from Hell and nearly pissing on Linda McMahon because he thought he was in the plane's bathroom.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

Michael Hayes getting drunk/high during the 2002 Plane Ride from Hell and nearly pissing on Linda McMahon because he thought he was in the plane's bathroom.

he also started a fight with Bradshaw and X-Pac cut off his mullet after he passed out

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

oatgan posted:

he also started a fight with Bradshaw and X-Pac cut off his mullet after he passed out

I remember when the Plane Ride From Hell went down. The small tidbits of info leaking out bit by bit was glorious. :allears:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

What actually is this? I've seen it mentioned but never with any details.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

What actually is this? I've seen it mentioned but never with any details.

Here's a good summary.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i think it's not a matter of being "allowed" to improvise as much as some people can't or just don't

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Any time they want to do a promo, they should just have Sandow come out dressed like the wrestler who will be giving the promo and do it for them. A stunt promo, if you will.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Havoc904 posted:

Freebird Road. It sucks they took it down.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Freebird Road. It sucks they took it down.

He literally danced on Terry Gordy's grave

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I still wonder what the hell Sandow's deal is where he's a jobber to rival Zack Ryder, but is still apparently trusted enough to be practically the only guy in the scripts to have his segments read "Sandow does stuff."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

I still wonder what the hell Sandow's deal is where he's a jobber to rival Zack Ryder, but is still apparently trusted enough to be practically the only guy in the scripts to have his segments read "Sandow does stuff."

It looks like they want to make him a manager and he's pretty good at it if he can make me want to watch Miz matches.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I think they recognize Sandow's talent as a talker and improviser. Watching him live, he's constantly doing hilarious "in-character" stuff even when it's clear he's not on camera.

I could see Sandow being a fantastic manager or even heel announcer.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yesss if they replaced JBL with Sandow Raw would improve 300%. Aww that would be perfect.

Does anyone else do Batista's machine gun entrance to dry themselves after they have a shower?

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Yesss if they replaced JBL with Sandow Raw would improve 300%. Aww that would be perfect.

Maybe briefly. JBL was really good during his run on Smackdown years ago... would Vince have been as much in his ear then, or would he have left Smackdown alone? I remember Foley complaining about Vince during his brief turn as a Smackdown announcer, but that was a bit later...

I like Sandow, but I get the sense that anyone on the Raw commentary team has a thankless job that it is difficult to excel at under the circumstances.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Alan_Shore posted:

Does anyone else do Batista's machine gun entrance to dry themselves after they have a shower?

No but I release the doves whenever I pee at a public urinal

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

oatgan posted:

Rock and Wyatt both have guys that write out most of their material. It's a safe bet Ambrose does too unless reported otherwise.

The problem isnt scripted promos it's characters not consistently having their own voice.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of writing out promos ahead of time, but not everybody should say "quite frankly", which is really noticeable when you start looking for it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alan_Shore posted:

No, but I do the Lesnar Dance every chance I get.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Machine gun, Lesnar dance, release the doves, yes yes yes, even the thing the Miz does, all fun to do, especially in public. Wrestling is fun.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the idea of writing out promos ahead of time, but not everybody should say "quite frankly", which is really noticeable when you start looking for it.

Y'see Top Bunk Wanker, the thing about that is...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
From a report about Stephanie McMahon's and Mr Stephanie's wedding.

quote:

Later, Michael Hayes made a complete jackass of himself. He got on the mic and started singing his own rendition of "Jailhouse Rock". He tried to get on the stage again, but then the band, who was really annoyed already, stopped playing music. So Hayes decided to make his own little speech. "Steph and Hunter," he said. "I mean Steph and Paul" Then he just started swearing on stage trying to be funny, but Linda McMahon walked up on stage and took the mic saying "Thank you, Michael." As his wife took him upstairs, Hayes kept yelling, "A Freebird is a Freebird!" This left people feeling bad and many thought the whole thing was ruined, but everyone went on with the party.

Michael Hayes is a jackass.

Also the exact quote for the Mark Henry thing is "I'm more of a friend of the family than you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Gonzo McFee posted:

Also the exact quote for the Mark Henry thing is "I'm more of a friend of the family than you!"

But he's allowed to say it because he knows black people.