Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When we launched the Kraken benchmark, I think we only won 1/3 of the subtests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Knormal posted:

My concern with the spin-offs is that it seems like they're all done by just done small groups of people as a hobby rather than any kind of official group, so updates and the future of the project as a whole is up to their whims.

To be fair, doesn't every browser do that?
You're right on both points, and that's the issue with Waterfox: It's not a browser, it's a development preview of Firefox that's had some UI changes backed-out and without timely and consistent updates from Mozilla, being billed as something you should use to browse the web because it's faster. I used custom-compiled builds of Firefox back in the day, THOSE wee faster, Waterfox is just different choices on a set of performance and technical trade-offs. If the Waterfox site was all "hey I made this surprisingly usable preview of 64-bit Firefox you can check out, no security updates unless I feel like it tho" I wouldn't complain. Instead it's more like "hey use this instead of Firefox, it's better and faster ;)"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Alereon posted:

You're right on both points, and that's the issue with Waterfox: It's not a browser, it's a development preview of Firefox that's had some UI changes backed-out and without timely and consistent updates from Mozilla, being billed as something you should use to browse the web because it's faster. I used custom-compiled builds of Firefox back in the day, THOSE wee faster, Waterfox is just different choices on a set of performance and technical trade-offs. If the Waterfox site was all "hey I made this surprisingly usable preview of 64-bit Firefox you can check out, no security updates unless I feel like it tho" I wouldn't complain. Instead it's more like "hey use this instead of Firefox, it's better and faster ;)"

I think you've gotten very confused.
Waterfox is built off of current release versions of Firefox and does not have any UI rollbacks, and has some bs benchmarks on its homepage right now. Typically the developer waits to release until a week after the regular Firefox release, which usually ends up meaning that an x.0 Waterfox release will have the base of an x.0.1 Firefox release when there's a major issue patch in the first few days.

Pale Moon is the one that both tries to look like Firefox 3.5 by default, and builds itself off long term support releases (currently it's based off of 24.7.2).

Firefox project itself makes available official x64 builds but only for the latest nightly, which doesn't have any changes done to optimize x64 peformance. This is the only one that's a development preview.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

I think you've gotten very confused.
Waterfox is built off of current release versions of Firefox and does not have any UI rollbacks, and has some bs benchmarks on its homepage right now. Typically the developer waits to release until a week after the regular Firefox release, which usually ends up meaning that an x.0 Waterfox release will have the base of an x.0.1 Firefox release when there's a major issue patch in the first few days.

Pale Moon is the one that both tries to look like Firefox 3.5 by default, and builds itself off long term support releases (currently it's based off of 24.7.2).

Firefox project itself makes available official x64 builds but only for the latest nightly, which doesn't have any changes done to optimize x64 peformance. This is the only one that's a development preview.
Waterfox either delays or doesn't include UX changes the developer doesn't like. You're right that Waterfox eventually merged in Australis in a later version, but I don't know that UI parity has been achieved or is even a goal from the developer. Is there anywhere to see the actual changes the developer has made from default?

Waterfox is a development preview because it exists to give you a preview of code that is in development and not yet release quality. It's not like you're getting Firefox 32 compiled with some different flags, you're testing a new JavaScript JIT backend that outputs optimized x64 code, and that's not tuned or ready for production. If it was, it wouldn't be stuck at Nightly status. Firefox development also works by implementing new features that are pref'd off until they are considered ready for use. Waterfox has some of these features pref'd on. They have downsides, not all of them are necessarily smart choices, and there's little transparency about what changes have been made. Finally, the concern with updates is the time window between a critical vulnerability being found out of cycle and when the developer gets a new build out. You know Mozilla will have a very consistent patch time, but what if this developer is on vacation?

Again, I don't have any issue with Waterfox for what it is, I have issue with it being presented as a quality piece of software that people should use as their daily browser. I don't see anything wrong with running Aurora if you like being on the bleeding edge, but I don't think it makes much sense to recommend running it to your average person, and it gets prompt security updates direct from Mozilla.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Rastor posted:

I seem to recall waterfox found a way to address the javascript performance issue; they now proudly feature benchmarks on their front page.

You mean they improved 64-bit codegen? That's a lot of work, I hope they upstream it.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Firefox crashes a lot for me, like at least a couple times a day, especially when I'm at home. I've updated it/reinstalled several times and that never fixed the problem. Thankfully firefox remembers where things were before they crashed but it's really annoying. Is this issue common for most Firefox users or is my experience a little more unique?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Crashing multiple times a day seems out of the ordinary to me. Have you tested your hardware or OS recently? The last repeatable issue I had with Firefox came down to its memory use and what turned out to be a faulty RAM controller on my old motherboard.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I'm going to do a complete uninstall when I get home. Whenever I use another browser I don't have any crashes but I always end up missing Firefox's interface and switch back.

If that doesn't work I'll test the system out. Does Windows 7 have built in stuff for that these days or do I need to get something like memtest?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Firefox crashes a lot for me, like at least a couple times a day, especially when I'm at home. I've updated it/reinstalled several times and that never fixed the problem. Thankfully firefox remembers where things were before they crashed but it's really annoying. Is this issue common for most Firefox users or is my experience a little more unique?

Firefox issues are usually down to corrupt profiles. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't normally remove the profile. Try resetting the profile you're using now (see the OP) and see how you get on.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I'll try that out. Thank you both. :)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
If the profile flush doesn't help and you end up prodding at hardware, I suggest using third party programs. Windows is pretty good at self-repair, and I think there's a built-in memory tester these days, but I still run memtest off a CD overnight when I suspect a DIMM got baked.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I'm running Firefox 32.0.3.

I have a web interface for managing our IPS that doesn't work properly with Firefox. Specifically it is the McAfee Network Security Manager interface for version 8.1 (if anyone has specific experience with it).

I am able to log in to the web app and get to most pages just fine. Some parts of it call Java and those also load fine.
What breaks is buttons that use JavaScript. If there is an "edit" button on a page and hovering over it shows something like "javascript:validateForm(document.forms[00,'edit')" nothing happens when I click it.
There is no error or any indication that I've done anything.
I've tried using the built-in debugger tools and it doesn't register me clicking on a button.

I had a similar issue in the past (with a completely different product WUI) that I was able to resolve with the Remote XUL Manager add-on, but that did not resolve the issue in this case.

I have the same issue in a new profile with no add-ons / extensions installed.

I cannot find anything in the McAfee Knowledge Center about issues with Firefox so here I am.

The buttons work with IE8 and the latest Chrome.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Has Firefox suddenly gotten bad at remembering your session for anyone else starting version 32? I just BSOD'd and despite having Firefox set to remember my session it forgot it on relaunch. Same with my laptop's Firefox install, which is randomly forgetting the session on launch.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Has Firefox suddenly gotten bad at remembering your session for anyone else starting version 32? I just BSOD'd and despite having Firefox set to remember my session it forgot it on relaunch. Same with my laptop's Firefox install, which is randomly forgetting the session on launch.

This happened to me on my desktop, but not on my laptop or work machines. I just assumed one of the 32.0.x updates reset my session for some reason since its only happened once so far.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Firefox issues are usually down to corrupt profiles. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't normally remove the profile. Try resetting the profile you're using now (see the OP) and see how you get on.
I did a couple different things with that idea and it still crashed often. Add-ons did not matter. The crashing was made even worse and I restored the old stuff. The only thing I can do is close out the tabs after a crash and bring them back on.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Restarted FF today and TabMix Plus got updated. Since then, new tabs opened via Ctrl+T open at the end of the tab row, not next to the current. I've checked the setting to no avail.

FF v. 28, TabMix Plus v. 0.4.1.5.1

Anyone else?

Edit: I knew I'd find the answer within 5 minutes: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18884

Oh well.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Pilsner posted:

Restarted FF today and TabMix Plus got updated. Since then, new tabs opened via Ctrl+T open at the end of the tab row, not next to the current. I've checked the setting to no avail.

FF v. 28, TabMix Plus v. 0.4.1.5.1

Anyone else?

Edit: I knew I'd find the answer within 5 minutes: http://tmp.garyr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18884

Oh well.
While you found the issue to be with the extension, you probably shouldn't be using an unsupported version of Firefox anyway.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Preamble: I have foolishly downloaded a free program recommended by a a well known blogger. It came with a complimentary copy of "Linkey". The very first google link recommended I remove it from my computer and reset firefox.

The actual problem: Resetting firefox naturally removed my greasemonkey plugins and similar firefox modifications. Is there a way to retrieve them? Or at least figure out what they all were so I can reinstall them?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Xander77 posted:

Preamble: I have foolishly downloaded a free program recommended by a a well known blogger. It came with a complimentary copy of "Linkey". The very first google link recommended I remove it from my computer and reset firefox.

The actual problem: Resetting firefox naturally removed my greasemonkey plugins and similar firefox modifications. Is there a way to retrieve them? Or at least figure out what they all were so I can reinstall them?
There is a folder on your desktop called "Old Firefox Data" containing everything in your old Firefox profile. You can copy and paste anything from that old profile folder into your current one, which is located at C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename.default\. This Mozillazine article has information about the contents of your profile and what they do. I see a "gm_scripts" folder in my profile that would probably hold all your Greasemonkey scripts if you reinstall Greasemonkey from the addons.mozilla.org (I don't actually have any scripts installed right now so I can't confirm). Be careful not to copy over the actual extension store or folder, because then you'd put the bad extension back.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 30, 2014

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Cheers, I'm reasonably sure that worked. :)

Edit - Hmm, all the youtube links autoplay now. Guess that wasn't a greasemonkey plugin. Off to search for a... smart youtube addon or whatever that was called?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Xander77 posted:

Cheers, I'm reasonably sure that worked. :)

Edit - Hmm, all the youtube links autoplay now. Guess that wasn't a greasemonkey plugin. Off to search for a... smart youtube addon or whatever that was called?

YouTube Center is a greasemonkey script for making YouTube better, but addon versions do exist. You either had the greasemonkey version or the addon version. You can find them here:
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki
https://github.com/YePpHa/YouTubeCenter/wiki/Developer-Version

I use the developer version. I don't know if the non-developer version works. Sometimes it breaks and it takes a bit to be fixed.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I use it too. Started out with the Greasemonkey script, but Google twiddles things often enough that the developer version is probably the best way to go.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
One word of warning about the YouTube Center addon is that every time it updates it will completely forget all its settings.

But apart from that one thing, it's great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For the past few days, I've been getting unresponsive script messages a few times a day. Here's an example from insider.microsoft.com:

How can I track down what's causing this? I've seen it on many different sites.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

hooah posted:

For the past few days, I've been getting unresponsive script messages a few times a day. Here's an example from insider.microsoft.com:

If the same problems happens with your add-ons disabled, use Reset Firefox to build a clean Firefox profile.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
When I try to open a locally-stored PDF document in Firefox, it brings up a dialog box prompting me to use another program. I tried pointing it at itself, but that just brings up the dialog prompt again. What am I doing wrong?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

hooah posted:

jid1-iqdnyiaxnc724q is apparently the Greenhouse extension

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

jid1-iqdnyiaxnc724q is apparently the Greenhouse extension

And, that's helpful, and makes sense, too since I did install that a few days ago. Thanks for digging that up.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Dark One posted:

When I try to open a locally-stored PDF document in Firefox, it brings up a dialog box prompting me to use another program. I tried pointing it at itself, but that just brings up the dialog prompt again. What am I doing wrong?
Does it work for Internet-based PDFs? What OS?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Knormal posted:

Does it work for Internet-based PDFs? What OS?

Internet-based PDFs work fine. The OS is Win 8.1 Pro.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Try renaming your profile directory (C:\Users\whatever\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla to Mozilla.bak or something) so it starts with a fresh profile and see if it still happens. That'll narrow it down if it's a Firefox setting or something to do with Windows' pain-in-the-rear end file association settings. After the test just delete the new Mozilla folder it'll create and rename your original profile directory back.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The fresh profile was able to open the local PFDs without a hitch. Do any of these settings look out of place?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

The Dark One posted:

The fresh profile was able to open the local PFDs without a hitch. Do any of these settings look out of place?

I don't have: plugin.state.nppdf, any of the extensions.dta stuff.
The only thing changed is that I have pdfjs.firstRun set to true.

In your Options/Applications, is your Portable Document Format (PDF) set to "Preview in Firefox"? Mine is.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Nalin posted:

I don't have: plugin.state.nppdf, any of the extensions.dta stuff.

The dta ones are for DownloadThemAll, if you don't have that extension you can disregard them.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have a minor but frequent issue with .gif playback in firefox. It doesn't really bother me much but I figure I'd get around to figuring out what's going on.

Whenever I play a .gif in its own tab or window, the .gif will play normally for a bit and then stop. It will start up again if I move my mouse cursor over the bookmark toolbar or close/reopen the gif. I'm using firefox 32.0.3 on a windows 7 machine and my addons are adblock plus, noscript, pdf viewer (pdf.js), and classic theme restorer.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

When I'm trying to close a bunch of tabs at once, there's a delay once in a while and I double click in the tabs area. This... err, does the opposite of maximize - turns firefox into a little square that occupies about a quarter of the screen (not knowing what the hell the opposite of maximize [or rather, the middle, between maximize and minimize] is called is probably why I can't google an answer to this). Anyways, I never ever need this to happen, so how do I turn it off?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Xander77 posted:

When I'm trying to close a bunch of tabs at once, there's a delay once in a while and I double click in the tabs area. This... err, does the opposite of maximize - turns firefox into a little square that occupies about a quarter of the screen (not knowing what the hell the opposite of maximize [or rather, the middle, between maximize and minimize] is called is probably why I can't google an answer to this). Anyways, I never ever need this to happen, so how do I turn it off?
When you double-click in the titlebar of any window it will Maximize it (or restore if maximized). Since tabs are in the titlebar, if you're not clicking on a browser chrome element you're double-clicking on the titlebar. I don't think there's a way to turn this off because it is how windows works.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think Classic Theme Restorer can make it so that doubleclicking there opens a new tab instead (if your tabs are in the titlebar area when maximized). Which isn't really a solution, but there you go.

Ideally, you'd get rid of the delays somehow, I guess, but that likely means hardware upgrades.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Ideally, you'd get rid of the delays somehow, I guess, but that likely means hardware upgrades.
If you can recommend a PC build (unlimited cost) where Firefox's UI never, ever, ever lags or hitches I'd love to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

xamphear posted:

If you can recommend a PC build (unlimited cost) where Firefox's UI never, ever, ever lags or hitches I'd love to hear it.

Is Mozilla now encouraging people to build machines around browsers like they were high end games or video editing boxes?