Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Unsurprisingly hard to get in and out of when holding a drink.

Isn't that what enlisted men are for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

drgitlin posted:

There's also a blackbird cockpit you can sit in:

Yeah, I have that picture of me too. :3:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
anyone who goes and doesn't is a fool. You can say, in all honesty, "yeah I've sat in the cockpit of an SR-71" and leave out the part where the rest of the plane is missing.

On the other hand it's also kind of depressing to learn that you are, in fact, too drat tall for the thing. Unless there's a lot more seat adjust than I think there is, at any rate.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I've sat in the one at March ARB's museum, and it was actually attached to the thing. So there.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I tried to sit in our Uni's Harrier, but my knees hit the panel. I could get bum on seat or feet on pedals but not both. :(

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
I sat in a F104 when I was 8... I was too tall even then, I can't have been more than 5'0, wtf Lockheed?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

They've got a Viper and an F8 cockpit over at Selfridge, and I'm way too big for either of them despite being pretty average sized. Makes me feel a little better about failing at my dream job of being a Viper pilot.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid, then my grandma told me that when they measured my femur at birth I'd grow up to be 6'4" and those dreams were quickly dashed :(

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Army Tells Karem, AVX To Take A Hike. Big companies win bids, little guys told their technology is "interesting."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My dad's cousins flew CF-104s and he is definitely over 6', I think he is 6'3" even. Not sure how that happened. Perhaps it is torso height or leg height dependent?

He lived too, and went on to fly for Canadian/Air Canada.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The F18 cockpit felt tight to all 5'9" of me, but I'm extremely broad shouldered for my height. College buddy who just recently took his last F18 flight before becoming an instructor at PNS NAS is about 2" taller. Can't imagine how someone much taller than that could fit in one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You guys haven't experienced small work spaces until you've sat in sixties Russian tanks and IFVs.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm 6'5" and I tried to get into a Mercury capsule at KSC. How do you think that worked? :v:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Spaced God posted:

I'm 6'5" and I tried to get into a Mercury capsule at KSC. How do you think that worked? :v:

If it's anything like the time I tried that one, your head stuck out.

I had a hard time getting into a C-130 simulator a few years ago.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Aviation is a short man's/moderate height woman's game :sigh:

Being tall is not a benefit to anything military related either as far as I can tell (I'm over 2m)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

drgitlin posted:

There's also a blackbird cockpit you can sit in:

Then when you get in you realize how beat to poo poo it is from years of kids/fatties/meatheads. :sigh: Also, last time I was there the drat Shuttle Landing "simulator" was broken. That display had been open for like two months and it was already F'd up.

sofullofhate posted:

Yeah, I have that picture of me too. :3:

hah, same. :reject::respek::D :respek::v:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

priznat posted:

Aviation is a short man's/moderate height woman's game :sigh:

Being tall is not a benefit to anything military related either as far as I can tell (I'm over 2m)

FSU equipment is nuts. I'm above average height, but not huge. 71". I can't fit in any FSU closed top equipment save some aviation stuff and basic trucks. My head sticks out of tanks even without a helmet. The Russian stuff after the fall is a bit better, but still bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rscott posted:

I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid, then my grandma told me that when they measured my femur at birth I'd grow up to be 6'4" and those dreams were quickly dashed :(

Were they right?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I sat in a bunch of stuff and thought it was pretty cool that my 73" self could possibly have a shot at things until I got to helicopters. Cobras are TINY. Apaches: TINY. Hueys? TINY. H-60s were alright, though. H-53s are huge. Chevy Suburban huge, with ashtrays and everything. And rear-view mirrors.

H-53s rule.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Madurai posted:

Army Tells Karem, AVX To Take A Hike. Big companies win bids, little guys told their technology is "interesting."

I literally lifted this from the Karem website for their entrant, the "Optimum Speed Tilt Rotor."

I can't even tell if they're serious, or are just trolling the DoD.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

:stare: It... it looks like a birth defect. The stabs look like they were never fully developed in the womb. Seriously, go google image search all their poo poo renders for Karem Tiltrotor. :barf:

Also the Bell V228 looks like A Dumb Thing I've tried to make in KSP.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MrYenko posted:

I literally lifted this from the Karem website for their entrant, the "Optimum Speed Tilt Rotor."

I can't even tell if they're serious, or are just trolling the DoD.

WTF. Are they using differential thrust to compensate for the fact that there is no yaw stability? Tilting the rotors because the elevators are cosmetic?

How can a single-engine procedure work when you have no rudder authority? Total engine loss? Good luck getting the elevators to make that airframe move.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I'm just confused how those stick wings could possibly support a c130 size airframe full of fuel. Structurally they seem way too thin nevermind providing lift.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MRC48B posted:

I'm just confused how those stick wings could possibly support a c130 size airframe full of fuel. Structurally they seem way too thin nevermind providing lift.

Wings are sized for takeoff and landing performance, which is kind of a moot point in a tiltrotor; cruising you actually want as small a wing as possible for drag reduction.

If anything, that's the least stupid thing about that Karem proposal.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
What's the advantage of the pusher propeller design over a conventional rotor setup in that Boeing proposal?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Because mechanically speaking, from an engineering perspective, the gains of a pusher propellor are up to 10% over the more conventional puller rig layout when correcting for the constants and variables which are inherent in the values of awesome and even, to a limited degree, radical.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So the Melbourne Air Show is tomorrow, my family over there have been posting updates the last few days about the Thunderbirds doing practice runs over the airport. I'm gonna head over tomorrow and watch with my dad; he has a perfect view of the air stage from his porch, but we may end up getting tickets anyway to see the other stuff up close.

All I have is my camera phone so no shots of the performance most likely, but I'll snap pictures of anything interesting that may pop up.

E: Air and Space show, because Brevard County; wonder if there'll actually be any spaceflight stuff there.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Mortabis posted:

What's the advantage of the pusher propeller design over a conventional rotor setup in that Boeing proposal?

Coaxial is good for lift. Twice the disk swept while rotor tips remaining approximately subsonic. The problem is when you want to actually move (which many helicopters are designed to do)

The big problem is the rotor disk tilting at high speed. You will obviously tilt forward to direct thrust forward and go forward, but you also get lateral problems. Like in a normal helicopter, the advancing blade generates more lift than the receding one, so the receding one has to have higher alpha, which will then gently caress up the torque balance, so one side (I can't remember which) has to sweep up slightly and effectively also tilt the disk to the side as well as forwards. Then you have the other coaxial rotor moving the opposite direction and doing the opposite (and tilting the other way as a result), so where the lower disk is at the highest part of its plane, the higher disk is at or near the lowest part of its plane. This is made worse because the alpha of the two rotors is different (as in the advancing blade of the lower rotor has a higher alpha due to down-wash from the upper blade), so the lower disc will tend to flex up further than the upper disc. Chaos ensues when the two planes cross.

This is what governs the top speed of coaxial helicopters, not the engine. If they go too fast the rotor discs tilt too far and cross, and that's A Bad Thing. There is an explanation of this in one of the DCS Black Shark game manuals.

The solution Boeing is using is a pusher.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 4, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Madurai posted:

Big companies give flag officers cushy low-:effort: jobs when they retire. Little companies (provided they don't go bankrupt after all-inning on the failed bid or have themselves and their 'interesting ideas' bought on-the-cheap by the big contractors) hire the flags who didn't 'play ball' as 'consultants.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 4, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnBr3enzW1I

747 waves goodbye

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Make sure The Media and their associated soccer mom viewers never catch wind of this video and maneuver or they'll never get to do this again. It'll be 787-9 Farnborough 2014 all over again. That's legitimately awesome. :stonklol:

ed: oh my god the comments in that are the best.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 4, 2014

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The 'wing wave' is mostly done to say goodbye as the airplane will never see the home airport again (where it was made). :smith:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Were they right?

I've got a pretty bad case of scherumann's kyphosis so not quite (I'm 6'3.25" w/o shoes), but I'd be probably 6'5" or so without it, so yeah, doctors are pretty good at that poo poo

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Duke Chin posted:

Make sure The Media and their associated soccer mom viewers never catch wind of this video and maneuver or they'll never get to do this again. It'll be 787-9 Farnborough 2014 all over again. That's legitimately awesome. :stonklol:

ed: oh my god the comments in that are the best.

Does no one commenting on the video realize the plane is empty so it has a thrust-weight ratio of approximately a bunch? Fake edit: Oh right, Youtube comments.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
E-2s tend to be a dumping ground for people who are too short or too tall for jets, so we get a very wide variety of body types. I was really jealous of the 5'1" NFO who could walk around without crouching over and turning sideways to get in the back.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I sat in a bunch of stuff and thought it was pretty cool that my 73" self could possibly have a shot at things until I got to helicopters. Cobras are TINY. Apaches: TINY. Hueys? TINY. H-60s were alright, though. H-53s are huge. Chevy Suburban huge, with ashtrays and everything. And rear-view mirrors.

H-53s rule.

Now imagine those tiny cockpits when you're not just wearing street clothes, but a plate carrier, ALSE vest, helmet and NVGs, lead brick of a survival radio, 6 M4 mags, M9 and 3 mags, survival equipment, kneeboard, gps, etc. Also you're 6'4" and you've been trapped in there for six hours and you have to figure out how to pee in the gatorade bottle you brought without knocking the cyclic too bad. :cry:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

bitcoin bastard posted:

Does no one commenting on the video realize the plane is empty so it has a thrust-weight ratio of approximately a bunch? Fake edit: Oh right, Youtube comments.

Well it isn't that empty; they loaded enough fuel to get to Luxembourg nonstop, which is about 240,000 pounds of fuel. With all the goodies they carry on a delivery flight, the takeoff weight for that flight is probably in the 700-725,000 pound range; not near MTOW, but certainly not light either.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Got into a huge argument about this on another board. These guys aren't airshow pilots and they're not flying a pitts. It's a 375 million dollar whale and wagging the wings that severely and that low could very well have caused a crash. Had that crew not almost certainly been some kind of training/management pilots they would have gotten fired over that poo poo. Don't believe me how dangerous that is? Go troll youtube for guys dying by playing around at low level in heavy, roll spoiler equipped aircraft.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Tide posted:

The F18 cockpit felt tight to all 5'9" of me, but I'm extremely broad shouldered for my height. College buddy who just recently took his last F18 flight before becoming an instructor at PNS NAS is about 2" taller. Can't imagine how someone much taller than that could fit in one.

I'm 6'2" and pretty broad shouldered and I didn't have too much trouble with the Hornet. The toughest one for me is what I'm flying in right now, the T-45. First time I strapped in the maintenance guys got a good laugh because I was visibly uncomfortable. I've gotten used to it but its tight. I flew in F5 once before and when I got the seat brief the pilot giving it asked me how much I weighed. I told him and he said "well, you're in limits but if you have to eject its probably going to be more like the jet pushing away from you rather than the seat leaving the jet." Now that was a complicated seat to strap into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
47 years ago today the airspeed record was set in the X-15. The SR-71 holds the record for an air breathing aircraft, 3745km/h slower than the X-15.
http://alert5.net/2014/10/02/47-years-ago-today-the-fastest-manned-aircraft-flight-ever/

Here is a minute of footage of the X-15 at the start of the first episode of When We Left Earth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOLHClNTOI