Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
the last tour hiatus breezed by to be honest, and I think breaks that long are necessary to maintain your sanity and to come back with new ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Didn't see this posted yet, so here you go:

http://www.theprp.com/2014/09/30/news/nine-inch-nails-trent-reznor-to-take-some-time-off-from-touring/

Looks like Trent is going to take another break from touring.

When asked what was wrong with touring, he said:

See you in 3-5 years, NIN (again)!
Well it's been known that he was gonna take a break for a while now (Trent said so during a few of the shows on the tour this summer), but hopefully it won't take that long to see NIN on the road again. Then again, he's got a wife and 2 kids. He was able to bring them on tour with them, so that's cool that he didn't go without seeing them for a long time, but I can also understand him wanting some normalcy for his family.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Those kids are gonna start school in a couple of years and I bet my rear end Trent won't be doing mega tours for a long while when that happens.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Awh, that's adorable....Trent is 'nesting.'

Being serious, wtf not?
He has success, a good reputation, money, and (i hope) a loving family.
He should work when he wants to, or when he has something artistically he needs to get off his chest.

There's nothing sadder than a guy in his 50s that keeps trying to act and party like he's in his 20s. Grow older and mature gracefully....and that still leaves plenty of room for more great music in the future.
I mean poo poo, look at Bowie...a new album at 66 and its actually very listenable.
Also like Bowie, if Trent just wants to release nin songs/albums from home and not tour with them, I'd be cool with that. I myself don't do the concert thing any more (drug testing at work makes it kind of pointless...and wife and all that poo poo too...yeah).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is Pretty Hate Machine really considered innovative? I think it's probably the most derivative-sounding NIN album, owing a ton to bands like Depeche Mode. TDS is really the most unique of them - tons of bands made ripoffs of PHM/Broken, but virtually no one even attempted to sound like Spiral. The closest thing I've heard to it is Splinter by Gary Numan, released last year (!).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wouldn't call PHM or Broken or even TDS innovative. PHM sounds like Ministry's With Sympathy, Broken again sounds like what Ministry was doing at the time, and TDS is like 90-92 Era Skinny Puppy with better production. The Fragile is where I'd say the 'NIN sound' first originated and is most exemplified, though you can see hints of it in FTDS.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

It does seem like NIN found their signature sound with Fragile...it seems to echo most heavily in all of the later albums.

I enjoy Depeche Mode and New Order, and as for Gary Numan...i both enjoy his music and admire him as a person greatly (i have personal reasons for this that i don't want to go into here, so lets just say he has been an inspiration for me in life).

Still...for 1989...and after all the big arena and big hair bands of the '80s; PHM was a very welcome breath of fresh air.
Yes, its influences are clear to true music lovers, especially those who listen to Brit/Euro stuff from before NIN's time...but for the average American Joe and casual music fan in the early '90s? PHM really did sound quite different compared to most of what else was out there. It helped blaze the musical trail out of the '80s and into the new styles of the '90s.

Not my favorite album, but i can still get into it. That said, it hasn't aged as well as Spiral or Fragile I feel.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wouldn't call PHM or Broken or even TDS innovative. PHM sounds like Ministry's With Sympathy, Broken again sounds like what Ministry was doing at the time, and TDS is like 90-92 Era Skinny Puppy with better production. The Fragile is where I'd say the 'NIN sound' first originated and is most exemplified, though you can see hints of it in FTDS.
Broken I'll give you, but With Sympathy? I think DM was a way bigger influence. They had a much gloomier mood (most of the time :)) and were experimenting with weird sampled percussion. I also think TDS is pretty drastically different in style from Too Dark Park / Last Rights; Skinny Puppy always liked to sound like barely contained apocalyptic chaos with tons of vocal samples. The most puppyish thing off TDS is probably The Becoming, although off the top of my head I can't think of a single NIN song with a movie dialogue sample in it.

To Mishaco's point, I think one of Trent's greatest strengths was always fusing his pop sensibilities with the harsher noisier stuff. For the intended audience PHM may very well have been a breath of fresh air. The internet is full of those awful, tired discussions on whether NIN was "real" industrial since he dared to make things more approachable than the typical Wax Trax act.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

david_a posted:

although off the top of my head I can't think of a single NIN song with a movie dialogue sample in it.

Like half the PHM demos had movie dialog in them but they was all removed for the proper release.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Didn't Reptile have some clip from Texas Chainsaw in it?

Online 21st opinions or not, back in the '90s, NIN really spoke to me and had their own unique sound (again for me).
I was never into Skinny Puppy though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
The start of Mr. Selfdestruct is a voice sample from THX 1138.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

TOOT BOOT posted:

Like half the PHM demos had movie dialog in them but they was all removed for the proper release.
That's really interesting.

Samopsa posted:

Well, sure, and The Becoming has a loop from Robot Jox, but neither one of those are similar to the typical Skinny Puppy or Ministry samples.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Sanctified had that Midnight Express sample in the bridge. It was taken out on the remaster.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have been a big Skinny Puppy fan for a long time but I don't understand how TDS sounds like early 90's SP at all. Parts of PHM do sure, but TDS owes as much if not more to David Bowie and Prince than it does Skinny Puppy.

I wouldn't call it radically innovative but NIN was really the first mainstream pop act combining elements of industrial with elements of synthpop, funk, hard rock, and ambient and it had a pretty unique sound.

Samopsa posted:

Yes there are odd film samples sprinkled throughout several NIN albums but he does not use them in the same way at all. Skinny Puppy generally uses samples in a very dense and clear way whereas with NIN you might here elements of one once or twice per album at most, and it's even more rare that they have any audible words. Whereas Skinny Puppy has a ton of songs with parts that have intense collages of very clear vocal samples that form almost a second set of lyrics for the song.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 2, 2014

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
The looping screams in the The Becoming are from Robot Jox

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Leon Einstein posted:

Sanctified had that Midnight Express sample in the bridge. It was taken out on the remaster.
Ah, I totally forgot about that one! Did he take it out for legal reasons?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The beat to Closer is a manipulated clip of Iggy Pop's Nightclubbing and the main noise in Ruiner was probably stolen from Prince's Alphabet Street

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
^^
He just sampled the kick drum.

david_a posted:

Ah, I totally forgot about that one! Did he take it out for legal reasons?

Yes.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

The cover of Get Down, Make Love also has movie samples in the beginning (not looking up where it's from since I'm on a phone right now.)

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHKgfar1IuM&t=21s

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
While the origins of obscure Nine Inch Nails sound effects is on the table, has there ever been anything said definitively about whether they used Reznor's vocals on 1000 Homo DJ's cover of Supernaut? Al Jourgensen claimed he did them, but Reznor also faced a lawsuit if it came out that he sang on the track. It sure as poo poo sounds like Reznor, so unless Jourgensen is just doing an amazing impression I always figured he was just covering Trent's rear end while still releasing the track.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pretty sure there are a couple of versions of it floating around, one with AJ and one with TR who is uncredited in order to avoid some legal bullshit with TVT

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

My version of 'Supernaut' came off my Purest Feelings II bootleg disc (bought it while living in Europe), and i always thought it was Reznor's voice.
I could be wrong as I never delved deep into the issue or anything, but it sure does sound like him during the Broken era.

My labrador, who passed away last month, was named Prince hehe.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The one that sounds like Trent is Trent. The one that features Ministry-style distorted vocals is either Al or just Trent again depending on what rumors you believe.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Was it a common thought that Trent's song A Warm Place took a lot from David Bowie's Crystal Japan? Or was that something people recognized in a more modern time frame?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Perfidus posted:

Was it a common thought that Trent's song A Warm Place took a lot from David Bowie's Crystal Japan?

Trent straight up admitted it in an interview, and I don't remember when that interview was but I'm pretty sure it was with infamous MTV "VJ" Kennedy, which I'm pretty sure means it was the 90's

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Perfidus posted:

Was it a common thought that Trent's song A Warm Place took a lot from David Bowie's Crystal Japan? Or was that something people recognized in a more modern time frame?

Treat must've heard it way back and didn't realize he was basically remaking it. That's my guess.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
As a huge NIN fan I can fully admit that Reznor lifts rhythms and melodies frequently.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Honestly, who doesn't?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's mostly just an ascending scale anyway; which also makes it a great counterpoint to the recurring descending scale motif from Closer.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sir Lemming posted:

It's mostly just an ascending scale anyway; which also makes it a great counterpoint to the recurring descending scale motif from Closer.

It's obvious on The Downward Spiral, but I never heard it on Heresy until about 3 years ago.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I saw Gone Girl last night and goddamn the soundtrack definitely elevates that movie quite a bit. Thought it was much better than TGWTDT soundtrack as well.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Well yes the melody is an ascending scale, but what makes it derivative of Crystal Japan is the way that scale interacts with the underlying chord progression. As well as that little turn at the end of the scale.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 3, 2014

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

One of the best things about Reznor is how much he's into many different types of music, and how serious he takes his instruments.
He is into all kinds of classical, and then pretty much everything up through Bowie and beyond.
The ways in which he mixes and matches all kinds of different sounds? that's very interesting to me.

I was reading reviews lastnight on Amazon, just for the poo poo of it.
I saw a goodly number of people comparing NIN to mesh....anyone here know mesh? If so, like/dislike and do you feel the two should be compared so heavily?

Right now, i am going through some life changes (all be it all very good ones), and when that happens i tend to turn to music to even me out.
Plus, i finally bought a new mp3 player after 8 years of my old one haha.

Its drat hard to find a non-Apple and/or non-touch screne device things days. Seriously, this whole touch screne thing is killing me.

Anyway....just at work but without a lot to do right this moment.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Everyone borrows, I'm not faulting anyone for it. :)

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Of course...in music and in everything else.

Everything is built on what came before. Whats good is that that process also acts like a filter...good ideas are taken further and bad ones often fall aside, becoming historical curiosities.

I think one reason i like both nin and the Pumpkins as much as i do is that both bands were influenced by a lot of the same music. The two sounds are very different, but have similar cores.

The only thing is, when a person borrows (or is inspired by), they should openly give credit, and I've never felt Reznor tried to hide where his music came from.
He's even done a few high profile covers of songs from artists he likes: Dead Souls, Get Down Make Love, and Metal come to mind.
Plus touring with Bowie!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Because I'm a massive nerd I like to make my own versions of NIN albums with various remixes and alternate versions and I have to say: I love the version of A Warm Place with vocals but it never fits on the album. I'm glad we got the version we did but I wish that track had a proper release.

Swarm
Aug 18, 2014

by XyloJW

Earwicker posted:

Trent straight up admitted it in an interview, and I don't remember when that interview was but I'm pretty sure it was with infamous MTV "VJ" Kennedy, which I'm pretty sure means it was the 90's
Yep, it was in this interview with both Trent and Bowie.

Quote-Unquote posted:

A Warm Place with vocals
Also, I didn't even know this existed. Pretty cool.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Kennedy is a conservative talk radio host in California now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Mishaco posted:

Plus touring with Bowie!

I saw his duet of Hurt with Bowie.

Life changing, lemme tell ya.