Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

The fact that they made nearly $3k on the last weekend will probably put a huge damper on the most crazy stuff, except for Red of course. My hope is that their income will decline fast because hungry people make for better drama.

Oh wow, how did they accomplish that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that there are enough people out there who will pay $40 to be a on tv for a few seconds by buying a tour. They advertise that you can pay to go there during the commercial breaks.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NESguerilla posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that there are enough people out there who will pay $40 to be a on tv for a few seconds by buying a tour. They advertise that you can pay to go there during the commercial breaks.

Pretty much. On saturday they made about $1.1k (about 40 visitors) by doing the tours and another 300 through artwork they sold. I dont know the distribution for Sunday, but I figure it will be about the same. They dont need masses of fans to go out there, but I figure there are enough people that live nearby and would like to visit the spot where this show is made. Production probably limited the number of people that were allowed to visit so this might get them through a few month.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

Pretty much. On saturday they made about $1.1k (about 40 visitors) by doing the tours and another 300 through artwork they sold. I dont know the distribution for Sunday, but I figure it will be about the same. They dont need masses of fans to go out there, but I figure there are enough people that live nearby and would like to visit the spot where this show is made. Production probably limited the number of people that were allowed to visit so this might get them through a few month.

Also apparently this.

The pioneers are excited they will have their own honey shortly. Everything is being donated to them to keep the bees and training is being given to them free. The representative says they call sell it for $10 or $15 a bottle once they figure out a way to package it and they can label it organic. Not only will the pioneers have hives in Utopia the sales representative has agreed to wholesale his wax candles to the pioneers so they can retail them to their visitors. Better yet, the representative has agreed to make the candles in shapes most conducive to creating sales. Stay tuned for buzzing updates.

http://www.utopiamadness.com/2014/09/the-bees-pioneers-are-excited-they-will.html

Can't believe I'm quoting stories about this show. What is happening to me?!?!?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The beekeeper said the bees won't even be producing the honey until next Spring. Given the bad ratings, I'm not sure the show will be in production anymore by the time they can collect it.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
They haven't really been showing bad things about Aaron, but yeah that's messed up that he won't support spending money on "feminine hygiene" products.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Hahaha, what an incredibly dickish way to tell Bella about the water filter.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SteveVizsla posted:

They haven't really been showing bad things about Aaron, but yeah that's messed up that he won't support spending money on "feminine hygiene" products.

Frankly I'm shocked Bella wasn't pushing for them to weave maxipads from wild organic grasses.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Dienes posted:

Frankly I'm shocked Bella wasn't pushing for them to weave maxipads from wild organic grasses.

I am too. There are some great natural ways to make them if you clean them often... but they don't have filtered water so that would be unacceptable.

Trust Red to know the only spot.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
"You got time to chill, you got time to till."

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
If I were Josh I would have ordered an empty box and told Bella it was the filter.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

TV ratings prediction: Tonight's episode freefalls to a 0.4 overnight and impacts New Girl and The Mindy Project's numbers.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
One of the cows just gave birth on the feeds to its calf.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Spiky Ooze posted:

One of the cows just gave birth on the feeds to its calf.

On the feed? WTF. I really, really hope their was a vet or farmer or someone there, or at least nearby, because of all the problems that can go wrong. That poor calf is going to die.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Red sometimes reminds me of a more composed GG allin.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
How can Red secede (again) and ask for his share of the money? Didn't he already steal his share of the money and blow it on junk food?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^
It's his hobby pretty much. He either tells people he's quitting or argues about the money every single day.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

sleepingbuddha posted:

How can Red secede (again) and ask for his share of the money? Didn't he already steal his share of the money and blow it on junk food?

I think he means his share of future earnings.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think he should get a share of earnings, other than if he helps with tours. He doesn't help with the bees or teach yoga or do whatever else it is they're doing.

My favorite part of last night's episode was near the beginning, when they're showing the utopians talking about stuff and there's random tourists just hanging out in the groups and acting like they belong there.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The tours make this show terribly lame and are killing it imo

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Oh I agree. It's so absurd.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

It's a huge flaw in the show itself. Three acres can't feed these people, they aren't farmers anyways. They can't be employed and aren't particularly skilled in any commercial way. They had no chance at making a decent living.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

Fooz posted:

It's a huge flaw in the show itself. Three acres can't feed these people, they aren't farmers anyways. They can't be employed and aren't particularly skilled in any commercial way. They had no chance at making a decent living.

looks like these pioneers need to learn a thing or two about bootstraps

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's really funny they will become sustainable by exploiting it being a TV show. It's not even a clever thing someone thought up. They have been advertising Utopia tours since the first episode. What an interesting "social experiment".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This episode was better. Why did Nikki vote for Aaron? She mentioned food safety, which can't be right. Did she mean his opposition to getting rid of fluoridated water?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

She hates how he manages the kitchen and he was accused of stealing food/money when he was doing the ordering.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

hcreight posted:

She hates how he manages the kitchen and he was accused of stealing food/money when he was doing the ordering.
The accusation is true though.
He pocketed $60 and cooked the books and ditched the receipt.
No one is really making an effort to follow the money trail despite many people becoming wary that there could be some underhandedness going on.

Nikki recently called for an audit (based likely on the vistors over the weekend getting into her ear) which sent Aaron into a smear campaign against Nikki.
Him and Kristen have been skimming and are now talking about pulling "their" money from the community pile.

Gee, who else did that because he saw that the group money would become a problem?

Over the weekend someone from JokersUpdates was a visitor on the compound and clued some people in things without outwardly saying anything. Told certain members that "We are always watching and there is a reason America chose they way it did."

Here's his post(s) about his visit...

http://forums.jokersupdates.com/ubb...&o=&rc=&fpart=1

BEWARE: It contains spoilers because the broadcast show hasn't aired the summary of last weekend yet.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 1, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

And so it begins...

FOX drops Utopia's broadcast to only one day a week (Friday).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/10/01/fox-pulls-utopia/?hootPostID=1721311fde38964cea96e48a07e32782

Anyone that bet cancellation before Halloween could using house money soon.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Ha, that's the day I don't watch it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SteveVizsla posted:

Ha, that's the day I don't watch it.

So what you're saying is we have you to blame! :colbert:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Red is gone :(

And Mike and Aaron and Dedeker and Rob and Kristen are attempting and succeeding to become a voting majority block. Their goal is to "cage rattle" any and all oppositions so they can bend their will to the weaker pioneers.

It's quite sick actually but they are succeeding because it's being left unchecked.

Their target now is Nikki, the holistic doctor because she can be "broken down" emotionally and via Aaron's badly planned and sporadic cooking schedules physically as well. They also don't like that a newcomer onto the compound has a fancy to her and they are scared he could drop truth bombs on her and turn her rogue.

Josh is also in the crosshairs because he is not playing by the rules of the Cool Kids Club (CKC).

This show is dumb as gently caress but it's turning into another BB16 where those in charge strive to keep the weak off of the same page.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Red going can't be good for the ratings.

I'm surprised he wasn't replaced by a hillbilly type named Blue.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
The best thing to happen to this show is for it to be cancelled (on TV)- but still have the show go on and come back to it a year later.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

click the shit outta^

Robnoxious posted:

And Mike and Aaron and Dedeker and Rob and Kristen are attempting and succeeding to become a voting majority block. Their goal is to "cage rattle" any and all oppositions so they can bend their will to the weaker pioneers.

Well Murica will throw any wrenches at them that get offered for the throwing so it's not the greatest plan.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Red was entertaining but he was a continual problem for the group. He didn't want to cooperate with anyone else. He threatened to leave every other day. He liked to brag about how much poo poo he could do more often than he actually did anything. His solution to his "gluten problem" was to order his own food, including a bunch of poo poo that had gluten in it. He let a cut turn into a serious infection and then tried to blame it on the food. He was even happy when he was voted out, so he was probably the best choice for everyone, problems with Bri, Aaron, and Bella notwithstanding.

I've about had my fill of this show, I think. I haven't watched the broadcast version in a few weeks and even checking in on the webcams periodically is getting stale. Not sure what the Dutch version did differently to hook people in, but things clearly aren't working as well here.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, last night I deleted the three episodes that piled up on my DVR. The idea of slogging through them just sounded terrible. The show just isn't constructed in an interesting enough way and the pioneers aren't doing anything terribly compelling themselves. The lack of a game to give it structure seems to hurt it and the starter cash plus the open house seems to make things a little too easy for them for "surviving" to be a draw. It's juSt not working for me.

Of cours if I had realized they were cutting back to one episode a week I might have forced myself to watch those episodes since that's not too much to watch going forward. But whatever. I don't regret losing this show.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I have like eight of these piled up on my tivo and I'm trying to get through them, but question: did the rooster die or something? the short angry man was bitching about how much it cost and someone else said it wasn't breathing, but I watched it five times and couldn't parse what was happening.

I don't care about these people; I want to save the ladies. Josh and the Ladies for sweeps.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

So what you're saying is we have you to blame! :colbert:

Nooo, I should have phrased that better, I don't watch it on fridays. Because Amazing Race. Sometimes I get around to watching it later, sometimes I don't.

I'm sad that Mike is in the cool kids group :(

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
What I can't figure is that they must be making something off the dopes that want to pay however much a month to get the full live feeds, right? Maybe they just don't have the viewer numbers because most people already know what's up from the feeds and don't want to re-watch it.

Or maybe its just a a lovely show and I'm making up excuses for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
If this show comes back they have to eliminate this stupid loophole for making money. I'd be a lot more interested if they were starving, freezing and considering cannabalism. At this point it's no more than Big Brother on a farm.

Just remove money next time. Why is that so hard? If you can't build a water purifier using sticks, rocks, chicken feathers and Amanda's placenta, then guess what - you don't get to have a water purifier. This show had a lot of potential that was completely invalidated in my opinion when they were able to make money by capitalizing on the show's popularity.

"In my Utopia I won't have to do any work to support myself because there will be TV cameras following me around and a bunch of weirdo stalkers from the Internet will just show up and pay me to hang out with me."

• Locked thread