Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I saw Gone Girl last night and goddamn the soundtrack definitely elevates that movie quite a bit. Thought it was much better than TGWTDT soundtrack as well.

How would you rank the soundtrack vs. movie as compared to The Social Network? That was an amazing movie made even more amazing by the score, while TGWTDT was a pretty great movie only complimented by the soundtrack. It was great and all but I didn't think Trent and Atticus' work had as big an impact as it did in The Social Network. So far I think the Gone Girl soundtrack is better than Dragon Tattoo but not as good as The Social Network's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I never heard a version of A Warm Place with vocals. When I was like a sophomore in high school I strongly believed it was like the most perfect song in the universe. I haven't thought that in a long time but I'm still not sure if I could stand hearing a version with vocals in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

One of the best parts of Gone Girl was its soundtrack, honestly. The tracks worked extremely well in tandem with the scenes they were accompanying, and in some cases the music was even better than what was being displayed on screen.

I also haven't heard A Warm Place with vocals either and that sounds weird as hell :psyduck: A Warm Place is a beautiful instrumental that has held a special place in my heart for years, so uhhh, vocals seem like they'd ruin it? But I'm not sure.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here's an idea for you idiots: Just listen to the drat thing so you can find out if you'd like it or not

It's good, by the way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh so it's not even Trent's vocals?

I didn't feel like those vocals really added much of anything to the song and I would probably never listen to that version again over the original.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh so it's not even Trent's vocals?

I didn't feel like those vocals really added much of anything to the song and I would probably never listen to that version again over the original.

Yeah. NinWiki has this to say on the track:

NinWiki posted:

This is the original version of the song, but features new vocals and lyrics by Stella Katsoudas (aka Stella Soleil), the lead singer and main force behind Sister Soleil, added on top. The song was put together in 1999 for the soundtrack to the film Stigmata but was not included, allegedly due to a quarrel between Reznor and Billy Corgan, who produced the soundtrack. Previously, the song had never been officially released, although Katsoudas has used it in some ballet performances, causing the track to subsequently surface on torrent websites. More recently, the track has been uploaded to remix.nin.com by Reznor and is available for download. Its title means "touching him" in Latin.

Like you said, I don't think the vocals really add all that much to the song, either, but I like that version too and listen to it once in a while when I happen to remember it exists. Like most remixes then, I guess. It definitely wouldn't work on TDS, though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
My feelings on those vocals are basically that I Do Not Want This.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO_MHYgUg2E

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Things falling apart is a really great album if you pretend all of the starfucker remixes do not exist

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

echronorian posted:

Things falling apart is a really great album if you pretend all of the starfucker remixes do not exist

Poor Starfuckers #3 doesn't deserve to get lumped in with the first two remixes.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Ok I'll give you that

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That lady vocal remix of A Warm Place is pretty bad. The vocals don't really add a thing and honestly just sound osrt of bad at parts.

The sidebar of that video did have a link to this which is pretty sweet IMO.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

echronorian posted:

I'm fairly partial to the Starfuckers remixes :shobon:

I just wish they had the sense to title them all something different.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thing about the social network is the film is designed to interact with the score in a certain way and it does absolutely incredibly, where as Gone Girl is all about dissonance and there are periods where the most notable aspect is there is no score, only background noise.

So I don't want to say "hey they're different things" because the Social Network Soundtrack is incredible, but the Gone Girl soundtrack is very good but in a different way.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

An interview with Trent on the CBS Morning News, talking about scoring Gone Girl and looking loving sharp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8Vy9MmINh0

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Reznor poking fun at himself is one of my favorite things

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

roboshit posted:

How would you rank the soundtrack vs. movie as compared to The Social Network? That was an amazing movie made even more amazing by the score, while TGWTDT was a pretty great movie only complimented by the soundtrack. It was great and all but I didn't think Trent and Atticus' work had as big an impact as it did in The Social Network. So far I think the Gone Girl soundtrack is better than Dragon Tattoo but not as good as The Social Network's.

I fall on this line of thinking as well. The social network soundtrack is pretty much a masterpiece in my opinion and just a great album to listen to. Gone girl I like a bunch more than dragon tattoo soundtrack though. But also partly why I like the social network's score is because of the piano and beats it has.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

That was an interesting and even entertaining interview, thanks for the link.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Earwicker posted:

I never heard a version of A Warm Place with vocals. When I was like a sophomore in high school I strongly believed it was like the most perfect song in the universe. I haven't thought that in a long time but I'm still not sure if I could stand hearing a version with vocals in it.

If you've heard The Great Below, you've basically heard A Warm Place with vocals.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Social Network score is an album you can listen to on it's own, without the movie, and it still works in the same way some of Ghosts does. It even has some fairly catchy songs on it. Gone Girl is much, much more ambient, and while it would work as an ambient album if you listened to it on it's own, it really needs the context of the film to elevate it. The score would not be as great as it is without the movie, and the movie wouldn't be as good as it is without the score. It's a really great symbiosis.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

well there goes your opinion about anything ever

I might like it a little more if it wasn't seemingly aimless runs. I was waiting for her to break out into that Cranberries song.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Was listening to With Teeth today while working.

I wonder why Reznor left 'Home' off the US release of that album? I like it.....goons?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
For me Non-Entity was song I didn't understand its complete removal.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Home is one of the best songs from those sessions, but I'm not sure where it would fit on the album. Probably says more about the album than the song, I guess.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Perfidus posted:

I always thought he wrote it after With Teeth. :monocle:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Perfidus posted:

Maybe he just had some personal reasons after writing them? They're pretty derivative NIN and a lyrical drag. This live performance of Non-Entity is the one of the most awkward NIN things of all time, to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGYBP1_D1U

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sir Lemming posted:

Home is one of the best songs from those sessions, but I'm not sure where it would fit on the album. Probably says more about the album than the song, I guess.

Between Sunspots and The Line Begins To Blur on the vinyl version.

echronorian posted:

Maybe he just had some personal reasons after writing them? They're pretty derivative NIN and a lyrical drag. This live performance of Non-Entity is the one of the most awkward NIN things of all time, to me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGYBP1_D1U

General consensus around these parts was that that version is the superior version

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 7, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

It's OK, but the original is so exponentially better it's not even funny.

Ever since I heard it the first time I've pretty much spent my musical life trying to find more songs that sound like it.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
If we're talking A Warm Place remixes, I'm partial to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRtiLhEoqI

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nominated for the Hall of Fame
http://www.thefader.com/2014/10/09/nine-inch-nails-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd be surprised, given who he's up against. Lou Reed is probably going to take it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just give it to Kraftwerk.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

sticklefifer posted:

I'd be surprised, given who he's up against. Lou Reed is probably going to take it.

Do they only do one every time?

I'm not being facetious, I have absolutely no idea how that works.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I seriously cannot understand why anyone gives a poo poo about who gets nominated or "honored" in a tourist trap in Cleveland. I mean it's about as significant as an artist having an old guitar put up on the wall of a Hard Rock Cafe.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I seriously cannot understand why anyone gives a poo poo about who gets nominated or "honored" in a tourist trap in Cleveland. I mean it's about as significant as an artist having an old guitar put up on the wall of a Hard Rock Cafe.

'Modern History museum' and 'tourist trap in Cleveland' run a hard line of distinction.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Just give it to Kraftwerk.

:agreed:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Earwicker posted:

A few years ago I would agree with you that the R&R HOF is a tourist trap and a retarded one at that.

But then this happened and totally justified it's existence

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Note the end where Prince throws his guitar back to heaven and it never comes down.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

magiccarpet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Note the end where Prince throws his guitar back to heaven and it never comes down.

Can we put this in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Perfidus posted:

If we're talking A Warm Place remixes, I'm partial to this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlRtiLhEoqI

This is definitely my favorite Warm Place remix as well.

On the subject of remixes: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ruiner/videos/ruiner-2010-gameplay-footage#imagebox

This (stupid looking) mod for Doom 3 has a gameplay trailer that clearly uses a remix of Ruiner but I've never been able to track it down. Anyone know which one it is?