Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Skwee posted:

So you say you installed the MSI 970 after installing the EVGA 970? Because I did the exact same thing. I got my drivers from the nvidia website for the EVGA, and when my MSI came in, I just swapped them out and have been using it just like that with no problems yet. Mostly playing battlefield 4 and Shadow of Mordor so far. Seems like maybe a card problem instead of a driver problem? Not sure how you could test that though

Well, it's finicky. I haven't overclocked the card past its stock settings, and I've got the fan running at 60% all the time now (still silent).

It's definitely not a PSU issue, as I've got a 1kW Seasonic Platinum feeding it, and the Seasonic is effectively brand new, as I had to RMA it a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Something something early adopters?
I really hope I don't regret this purchase. :ohdear:

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Fallows posted:

This post is me exactly, but I went with the EVGA ACX 1.0. This thing is fast and being able to turn the textures up too was a big plus.

The fans at 100% are quite loud but I had to manually put it there to see how loud it was because they haven't gone above 60% and temps have never broke 65 so far with the automatic fan profile. Really happy with this purchase and I am going to be selling my old EVGA 2gb 670 FTW now. If anyone wants it pretty cheap(120?) PM me I'm gonna put it on SA mart soon.

I think it's time to get one of those Korean 1440p displays.

Yeah, for being only two generations apart, the 970 is a pretty substantial increase in power while running both quieter and cooler than my old FTW card.

Sadly, since my case has a window in the side (Love the case design, H440, but damnit they need a windowless door) the bright blue glowing Windforce logo on the side of he card needs to be unplugged. It is kind of distracting.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

My MSI 970 Gaming has been running solid since the day I got it. Steam in-home streaming + Shadowplay owns, G-sync owns, everything owns.

edit: Shadow of Mordor owns, too.

burndtjamb fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 4, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I want to use Steam streaming but my remote computer has a Linux due to my cheapness and as such it's kind of a pain in the balls :(

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
DirectX 12 is shipping with Windows 10. It's definitely not on XP, but there's no word about 7 or 8.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

I think the host computer can stream from Linux now. My client is a Zotac CI520 that I dual boot Ubuntu+XBMC and SteamOS on. Also, alchemist_beta 137+ has support for DS4/Xbone controllers with rumble! Don't think the DS4 rumble works in wireless, though.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Actually the only really bad bit is the HDMI audio bug and my laziness w/r/t running an analog audio connection

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
[edit] I was thinking a 670 to hold me over would have been awesome, but I think I just need to be patient and wait for the 970 I have my eyes on... I just KEEP missing them coming in stock :(

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 4, 2014

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

[edit] I was thinking a 670 to hold me over would have been awesome, but I think I just need to be patient and wait for the 970 I have my eyes on... I just KEEP missing them coming in stock :(

I just ordered an out of stock MSI 970 on Amazon, so it'll ship when one's available instead of me hoping that I'm actually online when they back in stock elsewhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So my fresh-drivered no-PhysX-installed MSI 970 just had a stopped driver on *Hearthstone*, despite doing 2+ hours of Wolfenstein New Order without a hiccup.

EDIT: Make that two three. And artifacts *in* Hearthstone. Fuuuuuuuck.

I think there is just an issue with hearthstone - my 780ti produces artifacts in hearthstone from time to time - a split second black diamond pattern that flashes over the screen - and I've never had the slightest issue with any other game.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Factory Factory posted:

DirectX 12 is shipping with Windows 10. It's definitely not on XP, but there's no word about 7 or 8.

Last I heard windows 10 was going to be a free upgrade for windows 8 users, so it probably wouldn't matter for people on 8 at least.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Part of me wants to RMA the 970 simply because I've still got valid stand-ins available. Also, MSI's stated policy (having just read it) is to replace RMAed products with 'certified refurbished' parts - and I'm thinking this soon after the launch, there's a good shot at getting just a new product...or a pool of returned ones that were damaged by sperglords with Christmas Morning hands ripping the sticker off and damaging their cards.

That being said, at least when the driver fails in Hearthstone, it recovers in time for you to keep playing.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 4, 2014

Mad_Lion
Jul 14, 2005

I just bought a 280x for 160 dollars shipped. I think I made as good choice?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, it's finicky. I haven't overclocked the card past its stock settings, and I've got the fan running at 60% all the time now (still silent).

It's definitely not a PSU issue, as I've got a 1kW Seasonic Platinum feeding it, and the Seasonic is effectively brand new, as I had to RMA it a month ago.

Check if the fans are actually turning, either by looking at them or go to GPU-Zs RPM readout. If your fan is stuck it will show that it's being fed the power but it will just twitch failing to spin up. If it does that give it a small nudge.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Mad_Lion posted:

I just bought a 280x for 160 dollars shipped. I think I made as good choice?

Considering the 970 is about 40-50% better than your card for double the price then I would say that it's not bad if that's for a brand new card.

I would still love to hear if anyone's heard of anything about the 980 Asus Strix.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

Check if the fans are actually turning, either by looking at them or go to GPU-Zs RPM readout. If your fan is stuck it will show that it's being fed the power but it will just twitch failing to spin up. If it does that give it a small nudge.

Yeah, they're turning. Things have been rather stable for the past few hours.

It's entirely possible the driver-stoppage is due to two applications (one being Hearthstone) being poorly coded, and the other being ancient, which would explain why Wolfenstein was fine.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 4, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's entirely possible the driver-stoppage is due to two applications (one being Hearthstone) being poorly coded, and the other being ancient, which would explain why Wolfenstein was fine.

I've had one driver crash - in BF4, so I just assume it's on :dice:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Is this the kind of thing you were getting?

Just had this happen while playing Warthunder..

the error from here says "The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a driver upgrade for the video card has occurred. The application should destroy and recreate the device."

Also the wallpaper on my monitor got all funky on the bottom portion, repetetive blue gradient boxes

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've had this problem with a lot of Blizzard games over the years for some reason over multiple computers. Scanning and repairing the install in options on the B.net client has almost always cleared it up.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Shrinkage posted:

I would still love to hear if anyone's heard of anything about the 980 Asus Strix.
I got the 970 Strix and I like it. I haven't overclocked it or anything, I like the heat/noise/performance just fine at stock settings.

I had an Asus 9600 back in the day and never had any issues with that one either.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Does anyone know of any good guides for getting the most out of a GTX 560ti similar to the guide linked from the OP for the 700 series. I've been playing Mordor at medium/high setting and I'm pretty happy with performance but I'm wondering if I could get a little more performance out of my card.

Thanks!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Rhaegar posted:

Does anyone know of any good guides for getting the most out of a GTX 560ti similar to the guide linked from the OP for the 700 series. I've been playing Mordor at medium/high setting and I'm pretty happy with performance but I'm wondering if I could get a little more performance out of my card.

Thanks!

Same general idea. Raise the voltage within safe limits (that's 40nm if I recall correctly, and it should be able to take a pretty solid overvolting if the drivers and such allow it), then see how far you can take the core before it starts throwing artifacts or driver resets, then once you have a good limit established for the core start cranking the memory up. Increments are left to discretion, but with the VRAM, Fermi's memory controller setup kinda sucked and I wouldn't expect an especially large memory overclock. Going to get more out of overclocking the core and shaders, but you will gain performance by raising your memory bandwidth. There will be some situations where geometry becomes an issue for that card, and large textures obviously are a no-go, but you can probably stretch another 10-15% out of it maybe?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Looks like EVGA and Zotac 970s are in stock at Newegg, but it seems like I'm better off waiting till MSI cards come back in stock at Amazon or Newegg.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So my fresh-drivered no-PhysX-installed MSI 970 just had a stopped driver on *Hearthstone*, despite doing 2+ hours of Wolfenstein New Order without a hiccup.

EDIT: Make that two three. And artifacts *in* Hearthstone. Fuuuuuuuck.

So I've got the same card and the same issue BUT it's only on Blizzard games. Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and WoW all get a stopped driver. I can play BF4 for hours with no issue.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

jisforjosh posted:

So I've got the same card and the same issue BUT it's only on Blizzard games. Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and WoW all get a stopped driver. I can play BF4 for hours with no issue.

That's bizarre. My 290 gave me issues in everything but Blizzard games and Guild Wars 2.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I've had occasional weirdness with Starcraft 2 and Kepler cards. 680, 780, 650Ti, 780Ti all kicked up some visual oddities for a period of time. Driver issue, I guess, who knows?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Any reviews for the Zotac 970 or this EVGA 970? It doesn't look like the MSI cards are going to be back in stock for quite a while at Amazon, but if it's worth waiting for them over those two cards I will, as I heard there's some coil wine in another EVGA 970.

SolitarySolidarity
Dec 29, 2012

Evolve. Control. Combine.

Mr E posted:

Any reviews for the Zotac 970 or this EVGA 970? It doesn't look like the MSI cards are going to be back in stock for quite a while at Amazon, but if it's worth waiting for them over those two cards I will, as I heard there's some coil wine in another EVGA 970.

I've only come across one Zotac owner in a review article and he said his card ran hot. He didn't mention if he overclocked. As far as EVGA goes, the only thing I heard is that there's an issue with the ACX cooler. Although that's not on the card you linked as far as I know.

I haven't done a lot of research though because I settled on the Gigabyte a while ago.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
I've decided to go for SLi 970's, and my preferred dealer has the MSI 780 Twin Frozr edition in stock - but I'm quite frankly unsure about if I want them because of all the sticker-pulling-incidents / fan damage. Have any of you guys had issues with the coolers while having pulled off the stickers like an extremely gentle person? My guarantee is probably going to be pretty good on this, but it's daft returning cards by post.

I would like to go for the ASUS Strix version - but it's not going to be in stock until november, apparently. Any other "pro" version of the 970 that I should be considering?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AMD has made their first response: the R9 290 has been reduced by $100 (from $399 to $299) and the R9 290X has been reduced by $150 (from $549 to $399).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Well, that puts them basically back into the right price:performance points. Can't do much about the wattage difference, though.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Skwee posted:

Is this the kind of thing you were getting?

Just had this happen while playing Warthunder..

the error from here says "The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a driver upgrade for the video card has occurred. The application should destroy and recreate the device."

Also the wallpaper on my monitor got all funky on the bottom portion, repetetive blue gradient boxes

I got a similar (non-fatal) error message the first time I decided to fire up Arkham Origins to get "Cold, Cold Heart" done, but it was only once.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are MSI and Zotac my only options if I have ~11" of clearance (without taking a dremel to it)? I think the MSI is just <11" and the Zotac is CRAZY small, but I'm SOL if I wanted the Gigabyte or Asus, right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Right, I'm confirming the same mm lengths, your two best options are MSI or Dremel.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It seems that slightly pre-overclocked Zotac 970 that I posted earlier has a max temp of 71C from tests I've read, is that... good? If so, I'll probably order one in a bit since it seems Zotac is alright.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Mr E posted:

It seems that slightly pre-overclocked Zotac 970 that I posted earlier has a max temp of 71C from tests I've read, is that... good? If so, I'll probably order one in a bit since it seems Zotac is alright.
It's nothing to worry about, at least.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I came across http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/r9-290-accelero-xtreme-290,3671.html this article a while back on slapping an aftermarker cooler on a base 290. Is that a terrible idea for someone who doesn't have a whole lot of expertise in the area? In fact, how common is it for people to do that with their video cards? For a CPU it is almost braindead simple.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Rastor posted:

AMD has made their first response: the R9 290 has been reduced by $100 (from $399 to $299) and the R9 290X has been reduced by $150 (from $549 to $399).

Hard to get much force when you're punching while walking backwards. Glad to see they're not totally asleep at the wheel, and at least they're comparable in price:performance now. I have seen some gamers get pretty annoyed by the fact that nVidia didn't make a purely more powerful card (because perf per watt isn't something people with 1000W+ power supplies are concerned about). Hopefully this will help buy some time until they can respond more fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I got a similar (non-fatal) error message the first time I decided to fire up Arkham Origins to get "Cold, Cold Heart" done, but it was only once.

Hmm, well I am not sure what caused it, but I made my fan curve much more aggressive, and also turned on vsync in that game so that my gpu doesn't try to render 100+ FPS like it can, and it seemed to not mess up, but time will tell I suppose.