Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

sharktamer posted:

Liking the new cast, we've got some interesting characters in there. Hweejong is as awesome as we all expected. It's a shame there's so many passive people though, I wanna see less people just floating around playing chummy and more backstabbing!

I think a lot of people aren't necessarily passive as they are worried about coming out too strong right out of the gate. Considering the hit to the reputation of players last season for unsportsmanlike conduct, I can't really blame them.

Hweejong is totally my pony. I'm going to be pissed if he gets knocked out in the first few rounds. I'm less worried about it now than I was, because the players seem to be wary of nominating him for a death match because they feel sorry for him. Probably won't extend past the second episode though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its only the first episode and there are already five different duos of buddies. :allears:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The best part of S1 was the "it's just a dumb TV show" attitude. S2 was really competitive, and it was just unsatisfying. While this episode isn't as friendly as S1 as I would have hoped, it's certainly a big step forward over S2.

Dongmin and Kyunghoon are respectable. Otherwise, I'm a racist gently caress who can't tell the rest apart yet.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
I found it interesting in the Death Match how high up on the tablet they were writing their numbers. Considering the angles they were standing at, it seems like you might've been able to have a fair guess at what your opponent wrote just by observing the movements of their hand and the stylus. That might explain why Ahyoung's handwriting was a little odd for some of her numbers.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Fuoco posted:

I found it interesting in the Death Match how high up on the tablet they were writing their numbers. Considering the angles they were standing at, it seems like you might've been able to have a fair guess at what your opponent wrote just by observing the movements of their hand and the stylus. That might explain why Ahyoung's handwriting was a little odd for some of her numbers.

Yeah, I saw it as a way to find who was conscious enough of what was going on to mask or falsify input while observing the input of the other player. If they wanted to have prevented that they would have used covers and pens that were not super long. I hope they've put this clever little ingredient in more games and deathmatches, but only to this degree just so we can see the real geniuses.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
The cast is definitely better this season. Besides Hweejong, I'm excited about the lawyer. He didn't stand out in Crime Scene, but I like how he appeared in this episode of The Genius. What I liked was how he agreed to the other alliance's proposition. He was able to grasp their situation and their offer, knew what result it would have for him, and then took it for goodwill and for a better reputation. Instead of going for the other offer, he chose to help three people that were in danger instead of helping one person making deals everywhere. It's great to see someone be able to make a sound decision without having second thoughts or looking like a buffoon.

I can't wait to see how well he does in the next game because he looked excited in the preview.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
So some of my thoughts as I was watching.

The death match being sealed in an envelope makes me wonder if there were behind the scene allegations that the death match was changed based on who was playing in it.

They stole my game! I already knew this though. They added some interesting elements that I think worked well because they had so many people that if I had tried to do it, it would have been chaos.

One thing I have found difficult making games in this style is trying to prevent an all-way tie. I noticed that there was no rule pertaining to that, and it was possible if people kept on going $5 every round. I wonder what they would have done or how they encourage their players not to tie like that.

The quality on Bandage Face's video is much better. It's very grainy in the other seasons, but he's nice and crisp in this one. I may have to steal a screenshot and replace my version!

Hweejong coming in like the angel of death when they're all strategizing to pull away the apple was absolutely hilarious. They all just stop and the guy silently gets up and leaves.

Thank god they did away with those ugly tokens and replaced them with something simple.

There was no extreme ways. That "me me me me me" song they played at the reveal was terrible.

I really, really like that death match and may be tempted to steal it in the future.

Also in response to this about alliances versus individual matches:

Zythrst posted:

Yeah I just hope they keep mixing things up.

A lot of it really is up to the players. I'm noticing this in my own game. Games may be designed where it's supposed to be individuals or supposed to be one group against another, but if people choose to create a group that they want to work with, then there's very little you can do to stop it short of not allowing people to interact, which can be very boring.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I was disappointed that there wasn't some kind of betrayers league at the first round. "Because someone will betray eventually in this game so let's be the first ones to do it! :byodood:"

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Everyone in the cast so far are pretty entertaining. I like the 20 year old, seems like a more competent Dohee just running around trying to make the best technical choices but not particularly getting the interpersonal scheming involved. Shame that Juri just gave up more or less during the death match but it's probably been 3 to 4 hours at that point. I thought she would've done better considering it was mostly just game theory and she was being coached by the mathematicians.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
UGH that death match was annoying. I was rooting for Juri since Ahyoung wasn't really doing anything for the entire main match and panicking during the beginning of the death match while Juri was relatively composed and based just on that it seemed like Ahyoung would be the less interesting of the two later on. But what the hell was Juri doing, seriously. Just...like...come on.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I worry for the ladies this time around. Wouldn't be surprised if they all get eliminated within first few weeks.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I'm so happy this is back. That wonderful opening koreankoreankoreanFIFTEEN !!! Music, editing, pacing and use of quick flashes forward are still top notch and it looks like a solid group of players without too much cliques already in place.

Juri should have picked Hweejong who would have had a nervous breakdown for being in another first round deathmatch. And I would have hated to see him go, he's not at all like he was in season 2 and it was great when he said too much and went 'I should have said nothing but I'm a teacher and telling people stuff I know is just what I do'.

It's interesting how the first deathmatch was a pure one on one contest of skill and not a team building contest like the other seasons. I hope they do keep participation of the other players in the game, it's just that much more interesting as people have to avoid being a dick to make sure they can have some help in the deathmatch.

Once people start accumulating black garnets it could get interesting, possibly even people making sure a player with three garnets does not lose if that puts them in danger of being picked for the deathmatch instead. The value of a black garnet is quite difficult to estimate so early on. It's very well possible no one ever gets even more then one as they leave the game with eliminated players.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Much like everyone else, I am supremely disappointed that there was no Extreme Ways in the entire episode. The ₩4000 reveal of melons would've been the perfect time too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dragonatrix posted:

Much like everyone else, I am supremely disappointed that there was no Extreme Ways in the entire episode. The ₩4000 reveal of melons would've been the perfect time too.

No moments that warrented Idiotape Pluto either. :(

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
I really hope they didn't suddenly remember the existence of copyright laws and decided to get rid of Extreme Ways for good... especially since the replacement seems to be that awful me me me song :sigh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CHiRAL posted:

I really hope they didn't suddenly remember the existence of copyright laws and decided to get rid of Extreme Ways for good... especially since the replacement seems to be that awful me me me song :sigh:

They're still using the dexter soundtrack so I doubt it's that.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

CeeJee posted:

I'm so happy this is back. That wonderful opening koreankoreankoreanFIFTEEN !!! Music, editing, pacing and use of quick flashes forward are still top notch and it looks like a solid group of players without too much cliques already in place.

Juri should have picked Hweejong who would have had a nervous breakdown for being in another first round deathmatch. And I would have hated to see him go, he's not at all like he was in season 2 and it was great when he said too much and went 'I should have said nothing but I'm a teacher and telling people stuff I know is just what I do'.

It's interesting how the first deathmatch was a pure one on one contest of skill and not a team building contest like the other seasons. I hope they do keep participation of the other players in the game, it's just that much more interesting as people have to avoid being a dick to make sure they can have some help in the deathmatch.

Once people start accumulating black garnets it could get interesting, possibly even people making sure a player with three garnets does not lose if that puts them in danger of being picked for the deathmatch instead. The value of a black garnet is quite difficult to estimate so early on. It's very well possible no one ever gets even more then one as they leave the game with eliminated players.

Well about the Black Garnets- There has got to be other ways to get them or the odds of them being relevant seems very remote, and well they named the season after it so... On the other hand what your saying might not be true at all, because why not make the player burn their lifeline if you can? Especially if you win a main match in the process or have nothing to lose since your going to a deathmatch yourself. Alternatively you could trade Black Garnets to a death matchee in order to influence who they pick.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

CHiRAL posted:

Someone told me way back with season 1 korean tb channels have licenses that enable them to not care about copyright stuff

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
They didn't really use Extreme Ways in Season 1 or Season 2's episode 1 as well. They used some lovely dubstep song there as well (Skrillex's Bangarang for Season 1, Knife Party's Power Glove in Season 2). It will come back. They gotta give it a reveal worth it.

There was still plenty of Dexter and Ocean's 11 / Ocean's 12.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
While I missed Extreme Ways, "Me, Me, Me" (by Serebro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlt5Wa13fFU) was actually very fitting of the very egotistical move by Kyunghoon. He was not deserving of an Extreme Ways reveal like a Sangmin or Jinho because he did not work out a strategy to beat the game but did the easy move that will probably cost him in the future. To me it was the worst move any contestant could have made at this point in the game, because the rewards are very little but the damage he did to his reputation (inside the game) is probably irreparable.

My first strategy to "solve" the main game was the "3 people 6 fruits always bid 1" but I'm no longer a fan of it. First of all there is a good chance that one of the 3-person alliance will be in the deathmatch (and without much support from the group) and you are only building relationships with 2 other people instead of cooperating with a larger group. My goals for the first contest would be to establish good relations with a larger group, get a reputation for being trustworthy and to not stick out to much while not coming in last.

The deathmatch game was great twist on the black/white game from last season. The players get enough information to play with strategy but not too much. I dont think going 1 in the last round was that much of a mistake, because she did not know exactly how many points her opponent hat left. She probably thought that the comment "let's end it quickly" was a bluff and therefor put only up 1.

As for the black garnets, I really hope they will have different ways to earn them (the fact that they had the line in from a contestant is a strong hint in that direction) because otherwise there is a good chance that no one will ever gather 3. Unless of course only the "regular" garnets are forfeit if you lose and the black garnets are given to the winner of the deathmatch.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Gonna say that I didn't really like the deathmatch at all. There was way too much information and the opponents were always a few points off another -- you could accurately guess who did what, and the black vs. white distinction was useless.

Also, one of the big things I always liked about this show is how physical a lot of the props are (e.g. actually giving out cards instead of just saying numbers, moving giant chess pieces with mirrors and firing a laser instead of just doing it in your head), and having an iPad stuck in a podium felt cheap. There was a lot more you could pick up on in Black and White I based on which piece you chose, how you went for it, how slowly or fast you put it on the slot, etc. Here, you just seemed to have which odd way you drew your numbers. It didn't feel right.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo I have never hated a song as much as I hate that song.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
First episode was pretty good, though I wish there had been a little more "genius" at play. The Jinho/Sangmin tier Extreme Ways :aaaaa: moments are what make this show the best. The cast seems to have some potential. Lawyer/politics dude seems like he could be very dangerous in terms of playing groups off each other.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd be very surprised if Kyunghoon undercutting his allies did not come back to bite him, especially since it sent Ahyoung to the deathmatch. Like, sure you get two garnets, but the early games have never really had things to spend garnets on. He already burned two bridges, compared to Yongseuk who decided not to betray three others who would have been joint last place.

I'm also loving Dongmin. Hongchul was good last season but he never took as active a role as Dongmin has. I'll be very disappointed if he gets eliminated early.

Asiina posted:

Holy poo poo I have never hated a song as much as I hate that song.

The song was pretty awful, I really hope they stop using it. Unfortunately it's also stuck in my head. :sigh:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
What about this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJVmu6yttiw

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I loved the first episode of this season, especially the death match. I was hoping for it to go the way it did in the final round, and then it totally did!

I feel like the smartest move to make when the opponent plays black is to play 9. A tie shouldn't hurt you much, and as we saw at the end every point counts. I thought at first that I would just play 1 if my opponent played black, but losing a round by doing that would be so damaging that I don't think you really ever can. It's basically a bluff that's not worth calling, in my opinion.

You might be best served playing white right from the get go and working in the 20-point margins. Make it a wider range and play somewhere around 15-18 points most of the time, and adjust plans if your opponent keeps playing 0. It's a pretty tricky game, very suited to the Genius, but I still prefer black and white 1.

My sleeper pick is definitely the Oriental Doctor. Tell me that his allies not even letting him know what they were planning isn't the perfect beginning for a Keyser Soze-esque mastermind. It's invaluable to be overlooked on the Genius.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 5, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

I mean, like or dislike the song it's got enough energy to be appropriate when a big twist occurs.

the mi mi mi song doesn't serve the same purpose and I seriously doubt it's the replacement because it's totally inappropriate

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Everyone hating on the Mi song gives me power

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I mean, like or dislike the song it's got enough energy to be appropriate when a big twist occurs.

the mi mi mi song doesn't serve the same purpose and I seriously doubt it's the replacement because it's totally inappropriate

What about https://soundcloud.com/mitaknight/bangamon

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
May it reign for a hundred more years

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

True art.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It reminds me of a narcissistic version of Popcorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My roommate never watched season 2, so we're going through them now that season 3 has started. We're up to the episode where Doohee got screwed, and I still don't understand why ID cards were used. It literally adds nothing to the game.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I assume it was intended to be similar to the tickets in Abundance and Famine, which was really successful for pulling off a successful alliance when they traded around at random and bonded together.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I assume it was intended to be similar to the tickets in Abundance and Famine, which was really successful for pulling off a successful alliance when they traded around at random and bonded together.
That's too far back for me to remember, but I might rewatch it later.

The death match they picked was also atrocious. It was already shown to be flawed and completely sabotagable when it was a main match game.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I believe that they had IDs to facilitate secret trading. If you form a secret two person alliance with someone then all of their out in the open alliances can be your alliances. I don't remember the exact resources so I'm going to make them up for a few example:

1) You need one gold. You know who has the gold but you doubt they would betray their team to work with you. Instead of approaching that person you approach someone they are allied with that is more self serving. You say "If I get Player X's gold I win. Help me and I give you a token of immunity". You give the sneaky player your card and they come up with an excuse to trade gold with their own ally. Your hand is now full of gold and the game is over.

2)It basically doubles your inventory to have access to someone else's card. Let's say you're trying to collect gold and you have all of the gold except one but you're trying to keep that fact hidden. You would only have one other resource to trade, let's say steel. if you find out who has the gold you need and ask to trade and they say "what do you have" and you reply "just steel" then it might be obvious that you only have one card left besides the ones you need.

However, if you can use a friend's card and say "I have oil, bronze, a bomb and steel. I'm trying to find the last four gold" then they think they know you're not close to getting all of the gold. So you both go up and make your trade, and they would be more willing to trade you the thing you actually need. Then, you just trade your ally for the last gold and nobody knows that they basically handed you the win.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
If the players had really gotten into it, there are all kinds of next-level mind games that can be played by people using cards that belong to other people. Sadly we never got to see them because:

1. Nobody thought of it.

2. Jiwon was a dick.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 6, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
#IStandwithDoohee

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
First EP owned, cast is gonna take some getting used to but I like most of them so far. Also hweejong being super humble is amazing compared to the first episode of season 2. I'm stoked for more genius game and bandage oppa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They probably edited Hweejong to look extra poorly in the first episode of season 2, but still he really has showed improvement and I like how he is playing. He wants to keep his head down but his personality will just not allow it and its hilarious.

I really hope he lasts for a while.