Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

:siren: Voting Closed :siren:

Bonecruncher Level
Dirty Player - 11
Kick - 9
Wrestle - 5
Tackle - 2
Block - 2

Spare Cash
Save - 22
Zombie - 2
Third Cheerleader - 1

welp I guess fouling is a thing now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

GNU Order posted:

The real Blood Bowl starts here :kheldragar:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Zombie gonna stand on ur mans, Stomp Zombie, Ztompbie.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Enough fooling around, get bowling some blood, make it snappy, chop chop.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Hopefully getting Dirty Player isn't the catalyst for your opponent to step on your wolves' necks. Although if I was fighting your team I'd probably try and knock out the MB wolf anyway, especially if I'm playing Orcs or Lizards.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Anyone who doesn't foul when it would be the slightest bit beneficial (or at least not detrimental) in Blood Bowl is missing the point. Every injury, even on your own team, is cause for celebration.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Male Man posted:

Anyone who doesn't foul when it would be the slightest bit beneficial (or at least not detrimental) in Blood Bowl is missing the point. Every injury, even on your own team, is cause for celebration.

Whenever I'm setting up a game with friends, I always see the public league guys whining that they'll only play 'no bash teams, no fouls' because God forbid their precious little elves get their necks snapped.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Whenever I'm setting up a game with friends, I always see the public league guys whining that they'll only play 'no bash teams, no fouls' because God forbid their precious little elves get their necks snapped.

When i was playing way back when I really appreciated this meme, as i played a lot of delves. The opposing coach's surprise and panic when I decided I needed to foul a motherfucker made risking that 70K lineman getting ejected all worth it.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Male Man posted:

drat right. BB is all about how many people I can kill before the ref sends my team off.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

GNU Order posted:

I will still make macho man randy savage lines for your fouls. don't puss out.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Male Man posted:

This is why we should have voted for an AV 7 team.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Blackmage Yapo posted:

This is why we should have voted for an AV 7 team.
Lose rats, win games.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Veloxyll posted:

Lose rats, win games.

S'okay, there are more rats.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
In WH Fantasy, some of their units have a rule called Life is Cheap, allowing them to fire at units in melee combat. 50/50 chance of hitting your own troops, but eh, there's always gonna be more rats. :v:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Vicissitude posted:

In WH Fantasy, some of their units have a rule called Life is Cheap, allowing them to fire at units in melee combat. 50/50 chance of hitting your own troops, but eh, there's always gonna be more rats. :v:

'There are more rats' is one of the key philosophies behind Skaven tactics and strategy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Neruz posted:

'There are more rats' is one of the key philosophies behind Skaven tactics and strategy.

To borrow a page from TVTropes:

We have ratserves!

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

:siren:Match 15:siren:

Fairly Elected (GNU Order, Necromantic) vs Leaping Fire (Veloxyll, Wood Elf)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SDS - it's roughly 1/3 chance to fail a -2db. same as a 1db without block.

Sad that we lost the 1st half chat.

Also, Pass Block was because this is the team that played Agent's Rats in his LP. And they lost to Pass Block. So I got that in recognition of Rat bullshit. Because as mentioned, Wardancers are bullshit out of the box.
<3 Wardancers.

100% okay with the Randy Jade Savage VO.

Cyanide pathing in this game is incredibly bullshit. It happens something like 3 times this game. I was really sad at it, especially the second time when the reroll failed me.
As well as Cyanide pathing, but I think that shows up in the 2nd half.

Edit2: I was egging him on to pass in chat. I was just as aware of his 15/16 SPP as he was.

Double Edit: Remember SDS, I threw 150k in. I have money. Or had. I could easily buy another lino.

Triple Edit: Incorrect, Gnu. I lightning bolted Santos on turn ONE.
Because I wanted no ghouls in the match. Also because spite wizarding is hillarious.

Quad Edit: It was totally a vanity pass because I got a level on my lino from it :D

spoilers: the 2nd half is also great.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 5, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Fireballs have mighty blow too.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You didn't blitz that one turn! :argh:

You didn't blitz that one turn? :sigh:

You didn't blitz that one turn. :negative:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Slaan posted:

You didn't blitz that one turn! :argh:

You didn't blitz that one turn? :sigh:

You didn't blitz that one turn. :negative:

Slaaaaan eh? You were what SDS warned us about!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm pretty sure Veloxyll is that sonuvabitch that had like 3 elf teams at the top of the open goon league when I was playing, he must pay.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Corte posted:

I'm pretty sure Veloxyll is that sonuvabitch that had like 3 elf teams at the top of the open goon league when I was playing, he must pay.

So what you're trying to say is that he is an elfbowl connoisseur?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Corte posted:

The worst part about cyanide (and fumbbl blackbox) is that absolutely nobody plays elfy teams. There isn't really a focus on winning so much as developing teams to murder other teams efficiently (and thereby winning more or less by default or by moral victory), and when your elf/rat teams DO show up there tends to be a lot of anger or hostility directed at the elf bullshit and the rat bullshit. Most people are unprepared to deal with the technical aspects of interfering with/effectively countering a non-bashy team, so you end up with 11 vs 5 matchups where the 5 rats still - keep - scoring.

It's rather sad, really.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Olesh posted:

The worst part about cyanide (and fumbbl blackbox) is that absolutely nobody plays elfy teams. There isn't really a focus on winning so much as developing teams to murder other teams efficiently (and thereby winning more or less by default or by moral victory), and when your elf/rat teams DO show up there tends to be a lot of anger or hostility directed at the elf bullshit and the rat bullshit. Most people are unprepared to deal with the technical aspects of interfering with/effectively countering a non-bashy team, so you end up with 11 vs 5 matchups where the 5 rats still - keep - scoring.

It's rather sad, really.

Passing games are an order of magnitude more complex than bashing games and involve rolling more dice and taking more risks with more different potential skills having an impact on the outcome, as such passing games are just harder to process than bashing games. It's way easier to just punch the other team and it works almost as well.

This has always been the case with Blood Bowl, I've only ever seen a handful of games where both players were playing to win rather than to kill the opposing team even in tabletop games.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Olesh posted:

It's rather sad, really.

Spoilers - I played this team (sort of by accident. I had a catcher MNG but was equal TV with Gnu) the day before playing this match.

I had 4 players on the pitch for the last drive. And was kicking to Norse. I scored on his drive.
Again.
Elves (and rats) can be frustrating when all your key players take naps. But when it works it's just wonderful and obnoxious as hell :allears:
Elves.

The other thing is that Cyanide doesn't keep in league stats. So when it reports passing distance or whatever, it's for the team's whole history.
Which is why I have multiple players in the top passing stats in the Mr Hadwick Invitational. It's where my Khemri spin these days. Despite only having had 2 or 3 games there.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Neruz posted:

This has always been the case with Blood Bowl, I've only ever seen a handful of games where both players were playing to win rather than to kill the opposing team even in tabletop games.

This is something that Jervis Johnson, the writer of blood bowl, has acknowledged as a fundamental (and unforeseen!) problem with the game. Most of the teams are largely built around a passing game and a running game - the punching off the pitch game was supposed to be limited to undead, chaos, orcs and dwarves. As it turned out, the combination of mighty blow and piling on is too good and most of the game is now murdering the other team.

However! Murderbowl is much more fun than passing bowl, though I do acknowledge the passing game is harder, and more satisfying to pull off.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Playing a passing game against someone who is playing a murdering game is indeed stressful and somewhat unfun, but playing a passing game against another passing game is actually pretty nuts. Elf teams squaring off are some of the most entertaining matches I have ever seen, also some of the most high scoring.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Olesh posted:

It's rather sad, really.

It's why Dark Elves exist. Too slow to elf like a bitch, and too bashy to end up with only 5 guys left on the field. Most of the time anyways.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
NFL Skype chat time.

Jade Star: Daaaa Bears
GNU Order: i'm going to kill myself
GNU Order: i'm not kidding
GNU Order: i want you to have my LP
GNU Order: as my last will and testament
GNU Order: don't let the LP die after I jump off my balcony

Seems GNU wont be making it any farther than the wood elf game. It's okay though, he gave me his cyanide log in. I've never worked with SDS, but I'm willing to give him a shot.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Olesh posted:

It's rather sad, really.

Oh look an elf/rat apologist! I have nothing against their particular style of bullshit personally, my issue is that they are so drat good at winning, hence Velox being able to top the charts with them in GGL. Certainly there is a propensity for people to play bashy teams and treat crippling the other team's players as an alternate win condition, I don't find that interesting myself. When I used to play it was all about the claw/mb/po Chaos teams which got old fast.

I think this game has been pretty hard on Velox so far with some of these failed dodges and I won't pretend that doesn't give me a little bit of satisfaction considering he has 8 turns still to score like 5 TDs.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Olesh posted:

It's rather sad, really.

This isn't true of my experiences in Blackbox at all. Naggaroth skews bashy, but you'll also have 10 game stretches without facing anyone who actually knows how to play the game. There is a "No Bash" league on Cyanide where the bashiest teams you'll see are Humans, Dark Elves, and Amazons. It's a good fit for people like you.

Neruz posted:

This is a gross exaggeration. Are you a gross exaggerator, Neruz?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Play in a GoonBowl when it happens, usually people there are aiming to win rather than murder.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

drat, Victor rolled a 4+ with out assistance from a team mate.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Jade Star posted:

drat, Victor rolled a 4+ with out assistance from a team mate.

Not so. Nuffle is always adjacent to my heart.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

This isn't true of my experiences in Blackbox at all. Naggaroth skews bashy, but you'll also have 10 game stretches without facing anyone who actually knows how to play the game. There is a "No Bash" league on Cyanide where the bashiest teams you'll see are Humans, Dark Elves, and Amazons. It's a good fit for people like you.

Because actually wanting the community at large to have a wider variety of teams and play styles is somehow wanting to play in a no-bash league? Oh wait, no, that's not true at all.

Saying that isn't true of your experience in Blackbox is ingenuous at best, since looking through your own match history shows that a disproportionate number of your opponents are bashy high-armor teams - above and beyond the fact that most teams in bloodbowl are bashy.

Also CongoJack, I've played in goonbowls before; the problem with goonbowls has more to do with the fact that people don't play their loving games in a timely manner and also drop out en masse.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Corte posted:

Oh look an elf/rat apologist! I have nothing against their particular style of bullshit personally, my issue is that they are so drat good at winning, hence Velox being able to top the charts with them in GGL. Certainly there is a propensity for people to play bashy teams and treat crippling the other team's players as an alternate win condition, I don't find that interesting myself. When I used to play it was all about the claw/mb/po Chaos teams which got old fast.

I think this game has been pretty hard on Velox so far with some of these failed dodges and I won't pretend that doesn't give me a little bit of satisfaction considering he has 8 turns still to score like 5 TDs.

That's not true at all. Look at the last play of the half. I could've scored with two of my catchers. But I rolled a 1 on a GFI.

let this be a lesson to you all

Never
Going
For
It.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Olesh posted:

Because actually wanting the community at large to have a wider variety of teams and play styles is somehow wanting to play in a no-bash league? Oh wait, no, that's not true at all.
It is easier to sustain a high AV team in an open league format. You aren't going to find all teams/playstyles represented equally outside of something like No Bash or a gimmick league.

quote:

Saying that isn't true of your experience in Blackbox is ingenuous at best, since looking through your own match history shows that a disproportionate number of your opponents are bashy high-armor teams - above and beyond the fact that most teams in bloodbowl are bashy.
You said people don't play to win, they play to develop murder teams or whatever. I'm saying that isn't true in my experience.

But to humor you, here is a breakdown of the teams I've played against in Blackbox:

Over half of my 118 BlackBox games (61%ish) have been against teams that weren't Orc/Nurgle/Dwarf/Chaos Dwarf/Khemri/Chaos Pact/Undead.

Human: 11
Necromantic: 11
Lizardmen: 10
Skaven: 7
Wood Elves: 6
Dark Elves: 4
Slann: 4
Amazon: 4
Ogres: 4
High Elves: 3
Vampires: 3
High Elves: 3
Underworld: 2
Pro Elves: 1
Halfling: 1
Goblin: 1

Elves, like the fun-tier teams, are niche. I am sorry Blood Bowl isn't the Blood Bowl you want it to be. Start a league that caters to a playstyle. Make a ruleset. We're running a Lino League right now that is a lot of fun. People don't seem to want to play this way, though- they either want to play in leagues that cater to bash, or do nothing and cry about bash.

edit: Here are the optional league rules available in Fumbbl. Some neat stuff in there, and supposedly more options will be coming eventually: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21942

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 6, 2014

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

Veloxyll posted:

That's not true at all. Look at the last play of the half. I could've scored with two of my catchers. But I rolled a 1 on a GFI.

let this be a lesson to you all

Never
Going
For
It.

Swear to God GFIs are more dangerous than -2DBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

edit: Here are the optional league rules available in Fumbbl. Some neat stuff in there, and supposedly more options will be coming eventually: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=21942

The optional league rules, by and large, don't work or work only in test games. There's some discussion in threads where people try and pin down which ones actually work - additionally, the options have a tendency to reset themselves to unchecked without warning.

Also I'm not really sure in what universe you consider Necromantic and Lizards not on the bashy end of the spectrum, but I guess you needed to throw 20% of your games on the other side to make the data fit your point, so whatever.

• Locked thread