Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
Anybody got a cricket ref code they wanna hook up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Casual Yogurt posted:

Are you signing up for cricket? If so I can send a referral.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Casual Yogurt posted:

I just sent one out to another goon by I can do it. PM me your full name and email address.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

I assume that the $100 switch credit for Cricket can apply if you're switching from a pre-paid T-Mobile account? Can you also stack the $25 referral on it, too?

Thinking about switching since some life changes makes the lack of LTE or HSPA everywhere in my area a bit of a deal breaker, and the poor building penetration makes me a little frustrated, too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can always try, I can hook you up with a referral if you want.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Merv Burger posted:

I assume that the $100 switch credit for Cricket can apply if you're switching from a pre-paid T-Mobile account? Can you also stack the $25 referral on it, too?

Thinking about switching since some life changes makes the lack of LTE or HSPA everywhere in my area a bit of a deal breaker, and the poor building penetration makes me a little frustrated, too.

They stack, yes. Get a referral and switch if you have good AT&T service in your area.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know much about Straight Talk?

My mom recently got on there with an android phone, but for some reason she can't get picture messages. She can get emoji and all that jazz, but not pics of stuff that I send her.

Keeps telling her it's expired.

Any ideas?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Do any of you goons have other randoms on your Cricket plans? I'm looking to fill two spots and none of my friends want to save money and have more data, I noticed on reddit's r/nocontract people doing this but I guess I'm not sure how to do it reliably without getting burned on either end.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Lblitzer posted:

Do any of you goons have other randoms on your Cricket plans? I'm looking to fill two spots and none of my friends want to save money and have more data, I noticed on reddit's r/nocontract people doing this but I guess I'm not sure how to do it reliably without getting burned on either end.

I'm doing this. I don't think there's too much risk, the only thing is that there's only one person with an account that can login to see things, that's kind of a pain.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

I'm doing this. I don't think there's too much risk, the only thing is that there's only one person with an account that can login to see things, that's kind of a pain.

So basically I'd have the other person's phone number held hostage unless they pay? I'm assuming you just accept paypal or google wallet?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lblitzer posted:

So basically I'd have the other person's phone number held hostage unless they pay? I'm assuming you just accept paypal or google wallet?

If you use google voice as proxy the actual carrier don't need to touch your number, which is the only valuable thing.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know much about Straight Talk?

My mom recently got on there with an android phone, but for some reason she can't get picture messages. She can get emoji and all that jazz, but not pics of stuff that I send her.

Keeps telling her it's expired.

Any ideas?

Have you checked her APN configuration? StraightTalk's support page which apparently provides instructions for configuring it is here.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah, basically, but those people can also pay with credit card using the quick pay option too.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/support/account-management/pay-for-my-service/customer/quick-pay.html

I think paypal would be a better option though, i THINK people can just do an automatic recurring payment without having to manually do it every month

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012
Any goon know how difficult it is to switch from StraightTalk to Cricket? I have been on ST since January, but a few times a day, I get zero service out of no where in places I have always gotten service. I don't know if it's ST or AT&T, but I'd still like to switch for all that extra data.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

carb0nex posted:

Any goon know how difficult it is to switch from StraightTalk to Cricket? I have been on ST since January, but a few times a day, I get zero service out of no where in places I have always gotten service. I don't know if it's ST or AT&T, but I'd still like to switch for all that extra data.

Not too hard, just need to give them your account # (which is the last 15 digits of your sim card #) and your pin. PM me if you need a referral and we both get $25.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

carb0nex posted:

I had these issues for awhile, it's more likely your local tower or your phone than the actual service. That said, cricket is pretty great so you should switch anyway. Seriously, gently caress ST.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
My wife is joining Cricket. Anyone want to shoot me a referral?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

clockworx posted:

Shoot me your name and email here. rdodger594---at---gmail.com

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

clockworx posted:

E: ThermoPhysical has dibs.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

ThermoPhysical posted:

Shoot me your name and email here. rdodger594---at---gmail.com

Just sent an email.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

carb0nex posted:

I just switched from ST to Cricket last week. I had a terrible experience when I tried to port into Cricket a couple of months ago from a post-paid ATT account, but I had no issues at all this time. Not sure why.

My experience compared to Straight Talk so far:
-The port was easy
-The cell coverage is extremely comparable (not surprising since they both run on ATT towers)
-I no longer get those stupid "ACCESS DENIED" messages when opening web pages or mysterious lack of data connection
-The MMS quality is worse (text message pics are severely compressed. This is an issue since I frequently take photos of documents and message them to people. I'm probably a fringe case)
-Having visual voice mail is nice.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

peterjmatt posted:

I just switched from ST to Cricket last week. I had a terrible experience when I tried to port into Cricket a couple of months ago from a post-paid ATT account, but I had no issues at all this time. Not sure why.

-The port was easy
-The cell coverage is extremely comparable (not surprising since they both run on ATT towers)
-I no longer get those stupid "ACCESS DENIED" messages when opening web pages or mysterious lack of data connection
-The MMS quality is worse (text message pics are severely compressed. This is an issue since I frequently take photos of documents and message them to people. I'm probably a fringe case)

I like cricket's visual voicemail, but I hate how I get 2 notifications whenever I have a voicemail (one from the visual voicemail app, and the native one from my phone.)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Athenry posted:

I like cricket's visual voicemail, but I hate how I get 2 notifications whenever I have a voicemail (one from the visual voicemail app, and the native one from my phone.)

Yeah, that bugs me too. I also hate how it doesn't take into account the proximity sensor in your phone, so the screen stays on when you're trying to listen to the message...

carb0nex
Nov 5, 2012

peterjmatt posted:

-The port was easy

How did you port into Cricket? Online?

Can anyone else comment on the MMS quality issue here? I don't use MMS a lot, I much prefer Hangouts to send stuff. But to the people who don't have that, it'd be nice to know it doesn't happen to everybody.

Also, is the visual voicemail a downloadable app that is not required?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

carb0nex posted:

Can anyone else comment on the MMS quality issue here? I don't use MMS a lot, I much prefer Hangouts to send stuff. But to the people who don't have that, it'd be nice to know it doesn't happen to everybody.

Haven't had any issues with MMS quality on Cricket, and the VVM is a downloadable app that is optional. You can access the voicemail like you can any other cellular carrier otherwise.

Don't hesitate, do Cricket, there's literally no downsides.

PM me your info (full name and email) if you need a referral.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

carb0nex posted:

I haven't had problems with MMS, but I could see it being a problem if your data connection is spotty. I use an iPhone and most of my friends use them too, so everything gets sent over iMessage, which helps a lot.

For visual voicemail, if you're on an iPhone it just seems to work as it normally would on a post-paid carrier. No extra app needed.
When I used a Nexus 5 on Cricket, I had to download their visual voicemail app.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

So I decided I'm going to make the jump to Cricket, anyone want to provide me with a referral?

I don't have PM, so I'll have to go through email.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

How does the thread want to handle the referral business? It feels unfair and/or scummy that I gave out the last referral but am first to reply here. I hate to over process stuff but maybe some guidelines would be good to prevent a devolution of this great thread.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

TraderStav posted:

How does the thread want to handle the referral business? It feels unfair and/or scummy that I gave out the last referral but am first to reply here. I hate to over process stuff but maybe some guidelines would be good to prevent a devolution of this great thread.

I agree. I've given out a couple of referrals already and of course I love having my monthly bill lowered, but I don't want to step on other people who would like to benefit from them.

Maybe a public Google sheet posted in the OP? We can list those who want to give them out and we can each provide a date of our last referral. It will have to depend entirely on the honor system though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Merv Burger posted:

So I decided I'm going to make the jump to Cricket, anyone want to provide me with a referral?

I don't have PM, so I'll have to go through email.

Yeah, hit me up at my user name @gmail.com

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah, hit me up at my user name @gmail.com

Thanks, sent (and got your reply while typing this.)

Venkmanologist posted:

I agree. I've given out a couple of referrals already and of course I love having my monthly bill lowered, but I don't want to step on other people who would like to benefit from them.

Maybe a public Google sheet posted in the OP? We can list those who want to give them out and we can each provide a date of our last referral. It will have to depend entirely on the honor system though.

Yeah, there's got to be a better way, I was just going with the flow. A Google Sheet is probably the best quick and dirty solution to it.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I'd like to get in on the sheet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm new to forms, but I threw one together on google.

Referer form

List of people who have given out referrals

Hopefully it works.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I agree that something should be done, like honor system as has been previously said?

However, the list would get pretty long after a while and it'd have to be maintained very diligently. Each time a person would get a referral would be a new addition to the list as they will also get their own unlimited pool. While referrals are unlimited in number, you are limited to the number you can have out at one time (I think the limit is 10 per day).

I can't actually add anything to the OP until tomorrow though since I'm not at home for the week. Just wanted to pop in and say I'm still reading and I agree. :P

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

$250 a year max credit too

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)
Dumb cricket referral question, but if you're on a group plan, can you give out referrals if you're not the main account holder? Or do you have to give out the main account holder's information to get the referral?

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
I'm up for giving out cricket referrals as well.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Why not just make a separate phone plan referral thread in the coupons forum, and put a big notification in the original post here? There's been tons of "JOINED UNDER YOU" stuff there in the past, and this qualifies perfectly. That takes care of every provider, even though Cricket is the most popular one for referrals right now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

sweart gliwere posted:

Why not just make a separate phone plan referral thread in the coupons forum, and put a big notification in the original post here? There's been tons of "JOINED UNDER YOU" stuff there in the past, and this qualifies perfectly. That takes care of every provider, even though Cricket is the most popular one for referrals right now.

This is a better idea. We can reference the first post to point people to the thread. The thread can then list the folks who can offer referrals and their preferred contact method (PM or email) and then some black magic voodoo for sorting/rotating who gets the referral, complete with some timeout period where it goes to the next guy.

Now someone go make that magic happen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sweart gliwere posted:

Because it doesn't work that way since they need the email and name of the prospective new account holder and will check the code against that. You can't just generate a code and post it, and nobody probably really wants to post their full name and email in a thread when they could arrange it via PM or whatnot.