Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

rear end Catchcum posted:

ITunes Match seems neat. Say someone's library contained some pirated music, how would that work/what would the risks be?

Those songs still get matched. No risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Does it only store as much space you have on iCloud? I just bought it but I don't have a big iCloud account just the basic. Think I made a mistake.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

rear end Catchcum posted:

Does it only store as much space you have on iCloud? I just bought it but I don't have a big iCloud account just the basic. Think I made a mistake.

No, it's completely separate from iCloud. I think the limit is 25,000 songs.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I can still really only have 4 icons in my dock on a 6+?

Really Apple?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
It matches whatever music you have to what is on the iTunes Store. You could even delete crappy quality MP3 files you may have after they've been matched and download a nice high quality AAC version from the iTunes Store that's yours to keep. It's a pretty good service for the price.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
On the flip side of that does it replace my nice high quality MP3 with lower?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
It's late so can't tell if that's a joke but to it doesn't replace anything by itself. You have to replace your files if you want by deleting them and redownloading them.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

serebralassazin posted:

It's late so can't tell if that's a joke but to it doesn't replace anything by itself. You have to replace your files if you want by deleting them and redownloading them.

Sorry I meant which file would it match to the iPhone. Like if it's a high quality one in my library, it will just be matched on my phone with a lower quality one.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Not sure if it's still true, but when I used Match after it first came out, the big problem for me with it was that it would "match" explicit versions of the songs in my library with clean versions from the iTunes store. Once I turned on Match, there was no way to manually override the Match library and throw in my own (correct) version of the song.

I was in a support thread with them for a long time, and it basically boiled down to there was nothing they could do. They refunded the $25 and gave me a $10 voucher on top of that. I could have probably used that money to re-buy the music from the iTunes Music Store itself, so that iTunes would know I wanted the explicit version, but meh. It only affected like 3-4 albums for me (and even on the album itself, it was spotty, some songs would be the explicit versions while others would be clean) but it was a dealbreaker for me.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

better idea: pay for spotify instead

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
Oh sorry, I believe it uses the iTunes Store version so it would be 256Kbps AAC. I'm not 100% on that though but seeing as only unmatched files are uploaded (if I remember right) can't see them using your original files for your devices.

Ya I remember the explicit bug but don't recall if they fixed it or not. I tried it when it first came out but then chose to stick with Spotify. If you have a library of music and that's what you mainly listen to match is a great deal at $25 a year. Spotify is awesome and I highly recommend it to my friends because you listen to what you want but it does cost $120 + tax ($10/month) a year. Would be nice if they offered a full year at a discount. Oh well.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 6, 2014

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

No, it's completely separate from iCloud. I think the limit is 25,000 songs.
Note that the song limit is only for what has to be uploaded. If it exists in the iTunes Store, then it doesn't count. All of your anime and Norwegian chant soundtracks will eat into that limit though.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

A little case chat, I've noticed my leather case is already wearing after only having it for about a week. I'm not sure if the dark streaks forming are normal wear or from my raw denim jeans, but they're kind of unsightly, especially since the 5S cases seemed to take a little longer to start wearing.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Variable_H posted:

A little case chat, I've noticed my leather case is already wearing after only having it for about a week. I'm not sure if the dark streaks forming are normal wear or from my raw denim jeans, but they're kind of unsightly, especially since the 5S cases seemed to take a little longer to start wearing.

Thats not wear, thats oil or a stain.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Gio posted:

better idea: pay for spotify instead

Spotify does not have my Vocaloid covers of Mongolian throat singers. :colbert:

Seriously though, Spotify is like $10/month isn't it? If you already own the music and you just want it in the cloud, iTunes Match is much cheaper at $25/year.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Thats not wear, thats oil or a stain.

Ah, okay then. I'll be taking this to the Apple Store since I haven't spilled anything on it, and I don't have oily hands that I rub all over it.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

the kawaiiest posted:

Spotify does not have my Vocaloid covers of Mongolian throat singers. :colbert:

Seriously though, Spotify is like $10/month isn't it? If you already own the music and you just want it in the cloud, iTunes Match is much cheaper at $25/year.

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I pay $10/month for a streaming service is for the 'all access' aspect. I can listen to whatever music I want, even if I've never purchased it. I'm not a big fan of the 'radio' style of streaming so iTunes Radio won't work for me.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Venkmanologist posted:

I can't speak for anyone else but the reason I pay $10/month for a streaming service is for the 'all access' aspect. I can listen to whatever music I want, even if I've never purchased it. I'm not a big fan of the 'radio' style of streaming so iTunes Radio won't work for me.

I can understand that. I like to just buy my music and that's that. I can't really think of a reason I'd want to have access to all the music if I'm not going to listen to most of it. I guess I'm just old.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Ok I'm done kidding myself. Reaching to left side of the 6 plus screen with my right hand is painful. My hands are just large enough to stretch without changing grip but it makes my thumb sore. I never thought I would admit this but I wish reachability was like android one-handed operation.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

1997 posted:

Those songs still get matched. No risk.

That kind of boggles my mind. So you could literally download thousands of pirated songs and pay $25 to "launder" them through iTunes Match for legit copies? I'm surprised the RIAA or whatever didn't flip the gently caress out over that.

Anyways, I got the case for my 6+ and I'm super excited to get my phone now (back ordered through the end of the month :( ). I know people rage against super-protective cases here, but having a phone-obsessed 2 year old (she actually says "iPhone" oh my god) puts you in the market for some heavy-duty poo poo. It's nice not having to worry about your princess dropping and breaking your new expensive gadget so she can chase the kitty while she's watching Sesame Street or whatever. I got the Griffin All-Terrain Survivor which seems loving amazing and it's not even all that bulky considering the protection it offers; hell, it's skinnier than the otterbox defender I used on my 4 so I can easily fit it in my pocket. I can't 100% recommend it yet since I don't have my phone, but if you're looking for something heavy-duty I think this is the best one out there so far. Now give me my drat phone T-Mobile!

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Variable_H posted:

Ah, okay then. I'll be taking this to the Apple Store since I haven't spilled anything on it, and I don't have oily hands that I rub all over it.

I have the same case and mine has zero signs of wear on it, I'd bet its the raw denim. You boil your denim right?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

Nope, just this phone and just this PC. My iPad syncs too, but not the music. If it comes down to having to reinstall iTunes, how do I transfer the library, songs, apps+data, movies, etc to the fresh install?
All your media is stored in the iTunes folder, which is probably in User/Music, but you can check in iTunes in Preferences/Advanced. Back that up, then copy it back when you uninstall/reinstall iTunes. Hell, I have my iTunes folder on a different drive.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Variable_H posted:

It's almost certainly from your raw jeans. If not the dye itself then from the oils accumulated since I assume you don't wash them more than twice a year. So unless you never plan on wearing those jeans again, any replacement leather case is going to be similar colored.

Give it a little time and the entire back will be "colored" in.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Funny, I wear raws too, and while I have a little bit of navy around the edges of my brown leather 6+ case, it looks more like natural patina IMO

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Variable_H posted:

Note that the song limit is only for what has to be uploaded. If it exists in the iTunes Store, then it doesn't count. All of your anime and Norwegian chant soundtracks will eat into that limit though.
I'm pretty sure it's 25,000 *unpurchased* songs, so even if it matches, it still counts against that. I might be wrong, though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hakarne posted:

That kind of boggles my mind. So you could literally download thousands of pirated songs and pay $25 to "launder" them through iTunes Match for legit copies? I'm surprised the RIAA or whatever didn't flip the gently caress out over that.

Apple figured out a way to get music pirates to give them $25/yr for music they already downloaded and were never going to pay for.

RIAA loves it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Apple figured out a way to get music pirates to give them $25/yr for music they already downloaded and were never going to pay for.

RIAA loves it.

Exactly, they figured out how to monetize Napster and Kazaa retroactively to 1999, when the RIAA could never make it happen.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure it's 25,000 *unpurchased* songs, so even if it matches, it still counts against that. I might be wrong, though.

True.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4914

quote:

iTunes Match is limited to 25,000 songs.
iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 25,000 song limit.

It won't even let you sign up with a library larger than 25k.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

The red is kinda ugly but other than that, it's pretty much what I'm after - thanks!

If it really bothers you, step counts are only red until you hit a daily goal (of 10,000 steps by default), so you could just set your goal to be super low and then it'll be green almost all the time.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Over the weekend, I managed to leave my iPhone 5s on the roof of my car and drive off on a winding mountain road. Luckily it didn't fall down the mountain, but after I retrieved the phone, there were these little "cracks" under the screen in the bottom half of the phone. They weren't cracks in the glass, they were behind the glass. Anyway, long story short, over the past few days these cracks have completely disappeared. The only evidence I can find that they ever existed is in the very very bottom left corner if I hold it in the light just right I can see what looks like some little bubbles.

Anyone ever heard of this before? It seems like it self-healed or something. My first guess was that the force of impact delaminated the glass from the screen and the heat of running the phone slowly re-laminated it over time.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Did you happen to buy the Wolverine edition?

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Is anyone having problems updating certain apps while using Family Sharing?

My wife and I had been using the same Apple ID for a long time. When iOS 8 came out, I created her an Apple ID and added her as a family member. Now there are certain apps she cannot update because they were purchased under my ID and they are marked as non-shareable in the App Store (see IMDB app for example). If we delete the app from her phone and try to re-download (hopefully under her Apple ID), we have the same problem because it tries to re-download it since I have already purchased it using my Apple ID. If I sync her phone using iTunes the updates will come across fine, but that is a pain when would normally just update automatically.

We went to the Apple Store yesterday and they were basically no help and suggested I call Apple Care. This seems strange because this seems like a problem that a lot of people would be having but maybe the dude that help us was not aware of it or maybe not a lot of people have started using the Family Sharing? I did find some other people with the same issue when Googling about the issue.

Pardon if this has been discussed, but I tried to search the thread as best I could.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

My phone still connects to my car audio system via Bluetooth but I can't get an audio out or a display of what's currently playing. Is this a known issue with the last software update or something? It's making my commute a lot less enjoyable...

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Dr. Remulak posted:

My phone still connects to my car audio system via Bluetooth but I can't get an audio out or a display of what's currently playing. Is this a known issue with the last software update or something? It's making my commute a lot less enjoyable...

BT for many things is all screwed up at the moment.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Anyone else have a creaky screen on their iPhone 6? The lower right side of mine audibly creaks and clicks when pressed/using the keyboard.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

blugu64 posted:

Anyone else have a creaky screen on their iPhone 6? The lower right side of mine audibly creaks and clicks when pressed/using the keyboard.

Yes, this is as designed and a feature that you should definitely not go to the maker of the handset for.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is an analog keyclick feature. Probably a setting to disable it will appear in a future update.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wiggly posted:

:words: about family sharing issues

My wife and I had the exact same issue; I couldn't download the MBTA or TiVo app because my wife had downloaded them before family sharing was a thing. Even after we turned off family sharing they still persisted. Logging out of my iTunes account and logging back in fixed it, so maybe try that. If that doesn't work, then get rid of family sharing and then try again.

Family sharing is a great idea, but there are obviously some bugs to be worked out. Luckily turning it off isn't a big deal. My wife downloaded my purchased copy of Adventure Time: Card Wars while family sharing was still enabled; it auto updated after we turned family sharing off and then said it wasn't able to launch because it wasn't purchased by her. Luckily Apple still allows other people to sign in to any phone and download apps, so that's what I did. It didn't even lose her progress.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

serebralassazin posted:

Ya I remember the explicit bug but don't recall if they fixed it or not. I tried it when it first came out but then chose to stick with Spotify. If you have a library of music and that's what you mainly listen to match is a great deal at $25 a year.

They haven't fixed the issue. It drives me nuts. I get the same canned response from them when I contact them about the issue. I can't listen to Music to Make Love to My Old Lady By. It keeps matching to the instrumental version. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been thinking about the notion that a protruding camera lens makes it more susceptible to scratches when you set it down. I'm not sure that's true.

When the lens is flush with the back of the phone, the entire surface back makes contact with the surface its laid on. But when the camera is protruding, the lens doesn't make contact - the edge of the housing does. So while that edge may experience more wear, the lens does not, and you reduce otherwise conspicuous scratching on the back of the phone.

Does this make sense to anyone else?