Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Card came today! Side by side with my old EVGA 660, it was a bit larger and required some re-organizing of cables to fit everything in but little-to-no drama involved and this goddamn card is a beast. My CPU cooler makes more noise than this at full blast, and it's been chewing up anything I can throw at it for the most part, Shadow of Mordor maxed out with the ultra textures gets me a pretty stable 60FPS and looks great to boot. Really happy with this performance bump for the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Are MSI and Zotac my only options if I have ~11" of clearance (without taking a dremel to it)? I think the MSI is just <11" and the Zotac is CRAZY small, but I'm SOL if I wanted the Gigabyte or Asus, right?

Evga cards would fit but they have been said to have cooler/noise issues this gen, personally I'm also liking the look of the Gainward phantom http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3057/gainward-gtx-970-phantom.html though just like zotac that brand doesn't get much discussion for better or worse.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Avalerion posted:

Evga cards would fit but they have been said to have cooler/noise issues this gen, personally I'm also liking the look of the Gainward phantom http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3057/gainward-gtx-970-phantom.html though just like zotac that brand doesn't get much discussion for better or worse.

Good thing about that gainward cooler, assuming they've kept the feature from last generation, is that it is specifically designed to be easily opened up for cleaning the dust out of the fans.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Good thing about that gainward cooler, assuming they've kept the feature from last generation, is that it is specifically designed to be easily opened up for cleaning the dust out of the fans.

Hell, the whole fan assembly slides out, and is presumably easily replaced. That would make fan problem RMA's a dream, unlike me having to ship my card back to america right now :shobon:.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Hell, the whole fan assembly slides out, and is presumably easily replaced. That would make fan problem RMA's a dream, unlike me having to ship my card back to america right now :shobon:.

Downside though is they need a triple slot cooler in order to do that. Not going to be an issue for most people, but it's a dealbreaker for some.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Avalerion posted:

If you are talking about the ACX cooler: Look, the EVGA cooler is louder than the other 970 aftermarket coolers, but that doesn't mean that it is actually loud. It is perfectly fine.

I actually had the EVGA, but RMA'd it and ordered the MSI because of all the panic about it being loud, and when I received it I installed it for the duration of time that it took for the MSI card to arrive, it wasn't loud at all, it was possibly louder than the MSI I have now, but it really was no problem. And I think all this "loud" talk is when speaking of the fan at 100% speed, which neither of the card's will ever reach unless you tell them to. They are both nice and quiet at load volumes.

What I am saying is: If the size of the card is a huge deal, then the EVGA shouldn't be rules out at all, if it fits. It is not "loud" like people are saying. Just louder than the other cards this gen.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

^
It's about the cooler being misaligned/too small so it doesn't touch all the heat sinks (http://i.imgur.com/acvOFnY.jpg, as well as people complaining about coil whine. Don't have one myself yet so can't say how severe those are, but these "flaws" get mentioned a lot.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Avalerion posted:

^
It's about the cooler being misaligned/too small so it doesn't touch all the heat sinks (http://i.imgur.com/acvOFnY.jpg, as well as people complaining about coil whine. Don't have one myself yet so can't say how severe those are, but these "flaws" get mentioned a lot.

No, it isn't about the cooling capabilities of the thing at all, and I have seen people complain about "coil whine" on both cards. The cooling isn't faulty at all on the EVGA. While it may not perform the BEST out of the cards, it still performs properly, and does not perform poorly. I honestly wouldn't have returned it at all if I hadn't RMA'd and ordered the MSI before I actually had it in my computer.

5 degrees hotter than the MSI which has "4" (Unsure of the amount of heatpipes that are actually under the impression of the thermal paste like your image shows) heatpipes instead of the EVGA's "two"

Again, just like it isn't the quietest, and isn't the coolest, doesn't mean it is bad at either of them. Just not the best and it should not be ruled out if your most pressing requirement is comparing the sizes of cards vs taking a power tool to your case.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 5, 2014

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
To add to this, I have the EVGA card that people are saying is too loud. I've used it since I got it with the side of my case off and I have never heard coil whine from it. I've actually got my 660 in there still from when I was testing Physx with it and the 660 has the louder fan 90% of the time. It's not a bad card and if it fits use it. You can probably find a marked down one if you look hard enough with all the people blowing this out of proportion on the internet.

I'm not an EVGA fanboy. In fact I have historically preferred to use ATi cards because of Canadian pride. I've had a lot of cards from different manufactures over the years and this time around the 970s are all so good that the 'worst' one is better than 99% of cards you could have bought a month ago.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I don't know what haunts my dreams more: the taunting noise of my reference HD7950 whipple supercharger, or the constant auto-notify and temporarily out of stock on the MSI and Strix 970's.... wahhhhh:saddowns:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

spouse posted:

I don't know what haunts my dreams more: the taunting noise of my reference HD7950 whipple supercharger, or the constant auto-notify and temporarily out of stock on the MSI and Strix 970's.... wahhhhh:saddowns:

I've been waiting for my 970 to arrive but the sound from my eVGA 670 has been bugging me, its like a jet engine. I took off the shroud and jesus christ, what a terrible TIM job. About half of the chip was covered and the heatsink just had a giant smear on it. I put some aftermarket stuff on and put it all back together, 20 degrees loving lower in game and much less audible now.

Wish I had done this months ago, I have to stop being lazy.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Would anyone know how removing the shroud of an open-air cooler could affect cooling performance? I'm thinking of running two of the Zotac 970s in SLI since they can fit within a Micro ATX board. Maybe I'll just take temps before and after to see.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Would anyone know how removing the shroud of an open-air cooler could affect cooling performance? I'm thinking of running two of the Zotac 970s in SLI since they can fit within a Micro ATX board. Maybe I'll just take temps before and after to see.

why not just pick one of the cooler designs that fits into two slots? Even without the shroud I'm pretty sure the zotac cooler takes up 3 slots.

Edit: looks like the Amp! edition card takes 3 slots but the regular one is only two.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 6, 2014

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
My EVGA 970 acx 1.0 is great. Running it overclocked to 1428 mhz boost and with my custom fan profile it barely breaks 65-67c in unengine benchmark with fans around 67-68%. Card is not loud at this point. I know I can push the clocks higher and when I have time I will, but I am very happy right now.

Dynamic super resolution is also amazing. So far I am using it in all my games.

WHat kind of clocks are you guys hitting?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm using the 'stock' 1140mhz of the MSI 4G gaming and I have 2x DSR enabled globally (at 1080p). Not really noticing much slowdown which is awesome.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
MY Gigabyte G1 970 gaming is running 1475 boost/7500mem with no extra volts. It wasn't stable in all games at 1525mHz boost, So I backed it down a little. About same temps as the Evga with stock fan profile, max 68 c. I'll play around with more power today and more mem speed.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.
I'm getting a lot of white noise/interference coming through my headphones which are connected to the onboard Realtek jack of my Asus P8P67 motherboard (other specs: 2500k CPU with a EVGA 570 GTX).

The problem seems to get worse on menu screens in games so I assume the interference is from the graphics card. Have I done something wrong or is it just bad audio isolation on my cheap motherboard? Is this a common issue?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Daviclond posted:

I'm getting a lot of white noise/interference coming through my headphones which are connected to the onboard Realtek jack of my Asus P8P67 motherboard (other specs: 2500k CPU with a EVGA 570 GTX).

The problem seems to get worse on menu screens in games so I assume the interference is from the graphics card. Have I done something wrong or is it just bad audio isolation on my cheap motherboard? Is this a common issue?

It's reasonably common on lower end motherboards. You can solve the issue by getting an external DAC/headphone amp combo, but that is expensive and your headphones may not be worth it. A soundcard is a cheaper option, which should at least substantially reduce the problem, but it's still inside the PC so it may not completely prevent interference.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
What's DSR like vs regular custom resolution downsampling?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Well DSR should be more user-friendly, at least.

The one time I tried using a custom resolution I hosed up and had to switch DVI ports to get a usable display.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rastor posted:

AMD has made their first response: the R9 290 has been reduced by $100 (from $399 to $299) and the R9 290X has been reduced by $150 (from $549 to $399).
AMD feels like the Washington Generals to Intel/Nvidia's Harlem Globetrotters.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rastor posted:

AMD has made their first response: the R9 290 has been reduced by $100 (from $399 to $299) and the R9 290X has been reduced by $150 (from $549 to $399).

DrDork posted:

Well, that puts them basically back into the right price:performance points. Can't do much about the wattage difference, though.

How do you figure that? The 780ti outperforms the 290X by a reasonable bit, and the 970 equals or marginally outperforms the 780ti. So for 399 you have a 290X that doesn't perform as well as a 320 dollar 970; but uses significantly more power and puts out more heat in order to not do as well, not to mention all the other bullshit you have to put up with when you're an AMD card owner. the 290 is only marginally cheaper than the 970, so people might as well step up. The only way I would ever contemplate buying an AMD card is if it was significantly cheaper than an identical performance Nvidia card - otherwise I'd happily pay a bit extra for Nvidia.

What I want to see is if they'll drop the 280X and below. If they can make a 280X cheaper than a 760 that would be something.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Would it pay off to leave an older Nvidia card installed just for PhysX acceleretation?
Specifically, I just got a new ASUS 970 to replace my old 660Ti - should I leave the old card in, or would it be better to let the 970 handle PhysX as well? I've noticed that I get stuttering in Borderlands 2 when PhysX is set to high and was hoping that a second card would help.

Timespy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
If you have a PSU and motherboard that can accommodate for it, sure whatever. You're going to have s hotter, louder and more power hungry system though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Lord Bude posted:

What I want to see is if they'll drop the 280X and below. If they can make a 280X cheaper than a 760 that would be something.

Hasn't the 280X been cheaper than a 760? I remember seeing some 280X for $220 or 240 consistently on PCPartpicker, before the 970 dropped that was what I was going to get. Now I'm waiting to see what the 960 does, or if AMD will release a 285X @ $250. I'd really prefer to spend under $300 but if nothing better comes along I'll stretch my budget.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Timespy posted:

Would it pay off to leave an older Nvidia card installed just for PhysX acceleretation?
Specifically, I just got a new ASUS 970 to replace my old 660Ti - should I leave the old card in, or would it be better to let the 970 handle PhysX as well? I've noticed that I get stuttering in Borderlands 2 when PhysX is set to high and was hoping that a second card would help.

If you don't mind paying a little extra on your electricity bill I suppose. I'd never suggest somebody go and buy a second card for physX but for you it falls under 'why not' territory.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Hasn't the 280X been cheaper than a 760? I remember seeing some 280X for $220 or 240 consistently on PCPartpicker, before the 970 dropped that was what I was going to get. Now I'm waiting to see what the 960 does, or if AMD will release a 285X @ $250. I'd really prefer to spend under $300 but if nothing better comes along I'll stretch my budget.

GTX760 starts at 185 for the MSI model that would be my prefered pick. R9-280 starts at 170, or 185 for a brand I actually recognise. I wouldn't get one unless they were about 150. The cheapest 280X according to PCPartpicker is $237, and the spread reaches 411 dollars. I'd consider getting a 280X for 237 dollars, but probably not the Asus model that's listed there. I'd certainly get a 280X if it was $200.

The 285 is around 230 to 260 - That I'm interested in, I haven't paid much attention to it, how does it fare compared to the 280X?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

The 285 is around 230 to 260 - That I'm interested in, I haven't paid much attention to it, how does it fare compared to the 280X?

It's slower, sometimes by a significant amount. Also 2GB VRAM instead of 3. The 285 isn't a replacement for the 280X, it's a replacement for the 280 that has slightly more performance, but lots of features that the 3 year old 280X is missing.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

It's slower, sometimes by a significant amount. Also 2GB VRAM instead of 3. The 285 isn't a replacement for the 280X, it's a replacement for the 280 that has slightly more performance, but lots of features that the 3 year old 280X is missing.

Why in the name of all that is holy did AMD break their naming convention? Their product line is a clusterfuck as it is?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Why in the name of all that is holy did AMD break their naming convention? Their product line is a clusterfuck as it is?

I don't think it's any worse than when nVidia called 2 completely different GPUs 8800GTS, or really the whole 8800 / 9800 generation where there were no new dies in the whole 9800 line.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The Lord Bude posted:

GTX 750Ti

Anything GTX 8**

:shrug:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think it's any worse than when nVidia called 2 completely different GPUs 8800GTS, or really the whole 8800 / 9800 generation where there were no new dies in the whole 9800 line.

It is though, because the naming convention was consistent within the generation. The whole naming scheme is based around the idea that bigger number is more powerful than smaller number and X is better than non X. Now all of a sudden we have a card with a higher number that is worse.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It is though, because the naming convention was consistent within the generation. The whole naming scheme is based around the idea that bigger number is more powerful than smaller number and X is better than non X. Now all of a sudden we have a card with a higher number that is worse.

They aren't violating that convention, though? The 280 was better than the 270X, the 290 is better than the 280X... I don't quite get you, let me know what I'm missing, please :)

Edit: Not to mention that it's concurrent with Tonga being a thing; nomenclature shifts are part of the colorful and storied history of the graphics card industry. Nobody really gave a poo poo when nVidia improved the 9800 by making the 9800+, same die smaller process; nobody cares when their nomenclature gets weird. Seems unfair to hold it against AMD when AMD's product stack is ridiculously complicated by comparison and they're doing a remarkable job of classifying the cards in rough order of performance and features. Not too hard to imagine a 285X, and then it's all sorted, right?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 6, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

They aren't violating that convention, though? The 280 was better than the 270X, the 290 is better than the 280X... I don't quite get you, let me know what I'm missing, please :)

Edit: Not to mention that it's concurrent with Tonga being a thing; nomenclature shifts are part of the colorful and storied history of the graphics card industry. Nobody really gave a poo poo when nVidia improved the 9800 by making the 9800+, same die smaller process; nobody cares when their nomenclature gets weird. Seems unfair to hold it against AMD when AMD's product stack is ridiculously complicated by comparison and they're doing a remarkable job of classifying the cards in rough order of performance and features. Not too hard to imagine a 285X, and then it's all sorted, right?

**5 should outperform both *** and ***X. It's a higher number. A 265 is faster than a 260X after all.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

The Lord Bude posted:

If you don't mind paying a little extra on your electricity bill I suppose. I'd never suggest somebody go and buy a second card for physX but for you it falls under 'why not' territory.

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll see how much it impacts temperature and go from there. Apparently the 660Ti uses ~150W at idle, which is more than I would've thought.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I ordered a MSI 970 from amazon Friday. When am I going to get it?!?!? ugh the suspense is killing me. How often do they get new shipments?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

**5 should outperform both *** and ***X. It's a higher number. A 265 is faster than a 260X after all.

Check this out on really memory-bandwidth limited situations:

High res and heavy AA puts the 280 above the 285.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Should according to you, not according to AMD. How would you manage a consumer product stack this big without having an instance or two of unusual naming as you retire slightly updated chips that originated as Pitcairn or Tahiti?

In my opinion, likely they'll just retire Tahiti-based chip production entirely, like nV did with the higher end Kepler cards after launching the current Maxwell lineup. AMD doesn't have a lot to fire back with here but crapping on 'em for calling Tonga the 285 when it does bring significant architectural improvements and feature additions over the 280 or 280X makes no real sense to me.

To compare, the GTX 970 is not far and away superior to the 780Ti; good samples of each keep up with each other in most graphics workloads so far; it's a higher number but not an absolutely superior product, just superior on features and power consumption. Like Tonga.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

Should according to you, not according to AMD. How would you manage a consumer product stack this big without having an instance or two of unusual naming as you retire slightly updated chips that originated as Pitcairn or Tahiti?

In my opinion, likely they'll just retire Tahiti-based chip production entirely, like nV did with the higher end Kepler cards after launching the current Maxwell lineup. AMD doesn't have a lot to fire back with here but crapping on 'em for calling Tonga the 285 when it does bring significant architectural improvements and feature additions over the 280 or 280X makes no real sense to me.

To compare, the GTX 970 is not far and away superior to the 780Ti; good samples of each keep up with each other in most graphics workloads so far; it's a higher number but not an absolutely superior product, just superior on features and power consumption. Like Tonga.

That's kinda different though, because the 970 is a different generation to the 780ti. Looking at a 970, going by accepted convention my expectations are that it will sit between the 980 and a hypothetical 960 in performance, and that it will outperform its predecessor, the 770. AMD painted themselves into a corner I suppose, but they have only themselves to blame for releasing a bazillion products that were just rebadges. Failing that they should have announced it as the first chip from a new 3** lineup and called it a 370X, or even a 360X. Then we'd all be saying how much better it was compared to its predecessor.

I dunno, it just seems like a failure of marketing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

That's kinda different though, because the 970 is a different generation to the 780ti. Looking at a 970, going by accepted convention my expectations are that it will sit between the 980 and a hypothetical 960 in performance, and that it will outperform its predecessor, the 770. AMD painted themselves into a corner I suppose, but they have only themselves to blame for releasing a bazillion products that were just rebadges. Failing that they should have announced it as the first chip from a new 3** lineup and called it a 370X, or even a 360X. Then we'd all be saying how much better it was compared to its predecessor.

I dunno, it just seems like a failure of marketing to me.

nVidia had a chance to do that with the 750 Ti and instead they did exactly what AMD did, slot a new part in among the last gen because nobody is going to care about the GTX 900 generation launching with a GTX 940 or 950.