Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
One thing I hate about The Last of Us (very minor spoiler about enemy encounters you never once have a humans AND zombies fight. The game is just begging for a battlefield of bandits vs. clickers setpiece but it never happens.

EDIT: \/ I've never played the DLC

Mokinokaro has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mokinokaro posted:

One thing I hate about The Last of Us (very minor spoiler about enemy encounters you never once have a humans AND zombies fight. The game is just begging for a battlefield of bandits vs. clickers setpiece but it never happens.

I thought something like that was in the DLC?

I could be wrong though, but I do remember seeing a bit where there are enemy humans trying to defend themselves against clickers or something and you're kinda just in the middle and have to try to get out.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
The DLC does have Human Vs fungus zombies fights, Naughty Dog it wasn't in the main game because they couldn't get it working, I guess they worked out the bugs for the DLC. Hopefully if there's a sequel they'll have more of those battles, they were great.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

If you're pissed about TLoU, wait until you try it on Grounded difficulty, with no HUD.

*e and no supersonic bat vision

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
One other thing about TLoU, the save system can suck at times. The most egregious example is the last combat area, where you are fighting a small army of fireflies in the Hospital. Goal is to make it out of the floor you're on and up to another. As soon as the cut scene is over, you spawn with several human enemies, all who are unaware of your position but not your presence. The intention is to sneak around either stealth killing everything in sight, or slinking about undetected. Eventually you kill about five of these guys, and more show up. Then you take care of some more guys and even more show up. This happens for a bit until you reach the door to the next floor, where the last enemy who will be now labeled 'rear end in a top hat' spawns by barging through it. This guy notices you instantly and alerts everyone, read guys who are right behind you, to your position. Let it be noted that if you take it slow and steady like me, killing everyone in your way undetected, getting to this point can take well over an hour. Even a perfect run from beginning to end can take half an hour on normal difficulty.

Now let me be clear, none of these things are what is dragging this game down. Nor is it the fact that there is no checkpoint from the moment you spawn to the moment 'rear end in a top hat' spawns. Early on in the game you learn that stealth sections means it's time to save-scum.

I loaded up my save file, right before the 'rear end in a top hat' section, trying to figure out how to keep him from spotting me. For some context for those who don't know, the 'Load Checkpoint' button has a record of how long it's been since the last checkpoint. This is generally good to know whether or not to save or how far back the reset will take you. However, this countdown is not carried over when you manually save your game. This means when you load your save far away from the actual checkpoint, the countdown is reset to zero.

Thus, when I loaded up the last save and screwed up again I noticed the countdown had reset. I thought I had triggered a rare checkpoint, and cue beginning the entire stealth section all over again.

A digression, did you know that the auto-save in TLoU doesn't have it's own save file? No, instead it saves over the last one that was used, i.e. the last save loaded up. And did you know that when you reset to the last checkpoint, the game auto-saves?

So, cue me reloading my latest save in order to try to overcome 'rear end in a top hat' again, and I start at the beginning of the level again. So, I had lost well over an hour of progress, and it would've taken me another 30 minutes to reach that point again, provided I ran it perfectly.

So, I what I did was lower the difficulty to 'Easy' and just mowed down everyone like I was playing Uncharted. Took me maybe 15 min. Reached 'rear end in a top hat' and set it back to 'Normal' and played the rest of the game as I intended to. And gently caress you Naughty Dog for that goddamned save system. What the gently caress kind of game auto -saves after resetting to a checkpoint?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Enemy spawning is another thing I'm not quite happy with. Several times now I've carefully searched a location, closed doors at both ends, to make super sure I'm there alone and can run around with impunity. Then I do a plot thing and whoops here are ten enemies suddenly in there with me. I'm not opposed to scripted encounters, but with the way combat works, I feel like clearing out an area would carry the same danger either way.

Basically this complaint and the one about localized damage boil down to "it's a lot more of a regular third person shooter than I was led to believe."

Looking forward to meeting rear end in a top hat. Probably, see above, too much to ask for to be able to clear the area there completely so he has no one left to alert, right?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

im pooping! posted:

If you're pissed about TLoU, wait until you try it on Grounded difficulty, with no HUD.

*e and no supersonic bat vision

Does it just remove the hud? What about QTEs and any/all items shining kinda thing?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Is talking about the Souls games still verboten? If not... I am at the Ruin Guards in Dark Souls 2 and I keep having problems where I am hit by attacks that didn't actually connect with my character model, or where I should be able to make a roll past one of them to avoid an attack, but I get stuck on some sort of invisible barrier next to the boss.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

SpookyLizard posted:

Does it just remove the hud? What about QTEs and any/all items shining kinda thing?

Sounds like it does a bit more than that :stonklol:

quote:

Grounded does a few things to make the game a serious challenge. For one, supplies are extremely rare, making stealth kills necessary. Additionally, game hints, Listening Mode, and prompts are completely disabled. Made harder, the HUD is disabled, enemies do 300% damage, and the A.I. is more aware than in the other modes.

Apparently there are fewer checkpoints as well and maybe some other things I couldn't find.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

Is talking about the Souls games still verboten? If not... I am at the Ruin Guards in Dark Souls 2 and I keep having problems where I am hit by attacks that didn't actually connect with my character model, or where I should be able to make a roll past one of them to avoid an attack, but I get stuck on some sort of invisible barrier next to the boss.

Crazy hitboxes are just kind of a thing you learn to work with in Dark Souls 2, just like the auto-tracking attacks. :shrug: If you think Ruin Sentinels are bad for that, you're going to love some of the later game bosses! Leveling your ADP stat helps make things like rolling more effective so even if you get hung up on them and end up rolling directly into them their attacks will still often miss you.

My problem lately has been the crazy auto-targeting which causes my character to lock on to enemies behind walls/across rooms (instead of the one RIGHT in front of me) or just switch back and forth between them so I can't really hit anything. It's almost gotten me killed a few times.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Waaaay behind the times, but I've just started playing Far Cry 3 and it's so much fun, but there are a handful of things annoying me, all with the inventory system.

1: There is a button for auto-selling junk items, which is fine, but to sell plants you get a confirm screen for each one. I don't use reds, blues or whites at the moment, so I want to get rid of them, but there's no way to sell them off in one batch.

2: Animal skins. Without checking first, it's hard to tell which animal skins are worth keeping, and which are just taking up space after I've went past the 1 or 2 upgrades they're used in.

3: Money in general. Apart from restocking ammo, it doesn't seem like there is much use for it once you have a weapon loadout which suits your needs. This is pretty much a running theme with all games with money though.

I'm no designer, but it seems a storage system would have helped with these issues.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Far Cry 3 is a really fun game and I've sunk 40 hours into it, but I just absolute cannot give a poo poo about any of these characters. Jason is just bland and boring and he starts out terrified of even using a gun but takes to mass murder like a fish to water, all his friends are 1 dimensional and get almost no screen time anyway, and almost all the villains are just awful but not in an interesting way.

Maybe it's just because I haven't finished the game, but I totally lost interest in the story after Vaas died. Who is the new guy and why should I care about him at all other than that he wants to kill me for killing hundreds of his men? Not to mention the only way they could make the villain seem more demented than the player is to have him lock a man in a cage and set him on fire, but when I'm allowed to burn down swaths of jungle just to kill a couple of men and maybe a few tigers it all kind of loses impact.

And gently caress heavies. I shouldn't have to shoot anything in the head more than twice with a sniper rifle. :colbert:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Once in the head seemed to work for me, Z93 sniper rifle with sound suppressor and high power scope was my weapon of choice. I preferred blowing up the heavies though by putting down some mines and throwing a rock near it "what was that? It came from ov..." BOOM!. I didn't like the South part of the Island all that much either.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

There's so much customization in Smash 3DS that I feel totally overwhelmed and I don't even want to mess with it for the majority of the characters. I go into the customization screen and then my eyes glaze over and I just go back to playing Smash Run with the default characters.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I really enjoy Far Cry 3, but it's the kind of game I pick up when I have nothing else to play/am bored with everything else I have. Hunting is a loving blast, although doing it with a silenced M1A1 feels like cheating.

I picked up Shadows of Mordor a couple days ago, and while I like the game for the most part I find myself laughing at voice acting/production of the Wraith. The Uruk's can be annoying at times too but for the most part are pretty (intentionally) funny. As an aside, I had a freaking dude named Dûsh get promoted and now his name is Dûsh Blood Storm which may have been the funniest thing I've ever seen.

The combat isn't very dynamic, but thankfully executions are freaking brutal as heck. There's a brutalize option on stealth kills that almost makes you feel bad when you perform it.

Other than that the only complaint I have is when you're fighting a Power Level 6 Captain and then like three more show up. This happened to me so often that there's now a Power Level 17 dude with a crossbow who one shots me whenever we meet.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

cobalt impurity posted:

Far Cry 3 is a really fun game and I've sunk 40 hours into it, but I just absolute cannot give a poo poo about any of these characters. Jason is just bland and boring and he starts out terrified of even using a gun but takes to mass murder like a fish to water, all his friends are 1 dimensional and get almost no screen time anyway, and almost all the villains are just awful but not in an interesting way.

Maybe it's just because I haven't finished the game, but I totally lost interest in the story after Vaas died. Who is the new guy and why should I care about him at all other than that he wants to kill me for killing hundreds of his men? Not to mention the only way they could make the villain seem more demented than the player is to have him lock a man in a cage and set him on fire, but when I'm allowed to burn down swaths of jungle just to kill a couple of men and maybe a few tigers it all kind of loses impact.

And gently caress heavies. I shouldn't have to shoot anything in the head more than twice with a sniper rifle. :colbert:

I can't be sure how much I've sunk into the single player, but I really hated the repetitive nature of the game with the hunting and wanted missions and the outpost liberations. And as soon as you know who died I think the devs kind of just phoned it in. It started turning into a generic mil sim FPS shooter at that point. The story did not impress me at all. By far the most annoying thing was every boss fight was a scripted button mash.

Edit: Best way to kill heavies is to get heavy beat down and just shiv them. They're also pretty good xp by the time you get to the second island (500 a pop if I remember correctly).

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I've been playing Assassins Creed Liberation HD and it's a fun little game, bar a few bugs and glitches, but one thing really annoys me about the AC series, and that's the loving checkpoint races. Given how sketchy the parkour is in the AC series, it really fucks me off that they keep putting these in the games.

On the other hand Liberation doesn't have any lovely future bits, a smaller, more tight narrative and the ability to clothesline dudes with a whip, so there's that.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Update on my earlier post where I whined that the Imprisoned in Skyward Sword's boss rush was really hard: I thought that for each time you wanted to nail the pedestal down, you had to a) Skyward Strike it and b) you only got to hit it once before he shakes you off. Turns out normal downward hits work, and you can hit it all 3 times before he knocks you off. Also you can hit him with the cannon to make him stop slithering up the ramp. I am not good at video games. :downs:

For actual content, I picked up Gauntlet on Steam, and the Act I floors where you run from Death isn't fun. It's not hard to outpace him, but when you play as a melee character you have to rely on any ranged attacks you have over melee swings since you're basically locked in place when you swing your weapon. So those floors are just way more tedious than hard. Also those stupid ghosts that spawn infinitely are obnoxious.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nostradingus posted:

There's so much customization in Smash 3DS that I feel totally overwhelmed and I don't even want to mess with it for the majority of the characters. I go into the customization screen and then my eyes glaze over and I just go back to playing Smash Run with the default characters.

Smash Run in general feels pretty rushed imo. No difficulty settings, match options, or really anything else besides music.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins again. This time I picked a human male, sword and shield character.

I picked his voice type as "Cocky", because, I don't know, I liked the timbre of it. But now, about every 4th or 5th right-click - to interact with things or move - he says, "Shall I get you a ladder so you can get off my back?!" And he just keeps doing it all the time. I'm about 5 hours in, but I have to start a new file, it's that bad.

Usually, the other voices will say things like, "Ok!", "Right", or "I'm going" when you right click; and this guy gets 5 seconds of snark that triggers all the drat time.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

I can't be sure how much I've sunk into the single player, but I really hated the repetitive nature of the game with the hunting and wanted missions and the outpost liberations.

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Waaaay behind the times, but I've just started playing Far Cry 3 and it's so much fun, but there are a handful of things annoying me, all with the inventory system.

1: There is a button for auto-selling junk items, which is fine, but to sell plants you get a confirm screen for each one. I don't use reds, blues or whites at the moment, so I want to get rid of them, but there's no way to sell them off in one batch.

2: Animal skins. Without checking first, it's hard to tell which animal skins are worth keeping, and which are just taking up space after I've went past the 1 or 2 upgrades they're used in.

3: Money in general. Apart from restocking ammo, it doesn't seem like there is much use for it once you have a weapon loadout which suits your needs. This is pretty much a running theme with all games with money though.

I'm no designer, but it seems a storage system would have helped with these issues.

Bolding mine. Money doesn't do much for you so there's really no need to do anything you don't find fun. XP works the same way, there's some abilities that are just padding so there's no need to gather every idol. There's a stats screen in the journal that tells you how much of each side content you need to do to unlock new weapons and recipes but recipes are also usually pointless.

Basically it's a game with ~30 hours of content where you only need 6-10. If it's fun, do it. If it's boring skip it with no worries.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

QuietLion posted:

For actual content, I picked up Gauntlet on Steam, and the Act I floors where you run from Death isn't fun. It's not hard to outpace him, but when you play as a melee character you have to rely on any ranged attacks you have over melee swings since you're basically locked in place when you swing your weapon. So those floors are just way more tedious than hard. Also those stupid ghosts that spawn infinitely are obnoxious.

The Death levels own because you're supposed to play it in multiplayer and spend the entire time screen trapping your partners.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Captain Lavender posted:

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins again. This time I picked a human male, sword and shield character.

I picked his voice type as "Cocky", because, I don't know, I liked the timbre of it. But now, about every 4th or 5th right-click - to interact with things or move - he says, "Shall I get you a ladder so you can get off my back?!" And he just keeps doing it all the time. I'm about 5 hours in, but I have to start a new file, it's that bad.

Usually, the other voices will say things like, "Ok!", "Right", or "I'm going" when you right click; and this guy gets 5 seconds of snark that triggers all the drat time.

I ended up falling into the same trap and it is absolutely miserable. Even the normal acknowledgment is this really exasperated "awlright, AWLRIIGHT" and I have no idea how it got through testing as anything other than the joke voice.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

scarycave posted:

Smash Run in general feels pretty rushed imo. No difficulty settings, match options, or really anything else besides music.

I think the variety is supposed to come from it being so customizable. Even just playing the same character, you're gonna approach it differently if you spec for speed vs. raw attack power.

Don't spec for defense, though. Especially if you're like me and try to make characters better at their initial strengths, so you just end up with a Bowser that can barely move and gets hit so often his extra defense doesn't matter.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Heavy Lobster posted:

I ended up falling into the same trap and it is absolutely miserable. Even the normal acknowledgment is this really exasperated "awlright, AWLRIIGHT" and I have no idea how it got through testing as anything other than the joke voice.

omg ugh!

Now I have to do another terrible origin section. Rats in the larder!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cleretic posted:

I think the variety is supposed to come from it being so customizable. Even just playing the same character, you're gonna approach it differently if you spec for speed vs. raw attack power.

Don't spec for defense, though. Especially if you're like me and try to make characters better at their initial strengths, so you just end up with a Bowser that can barely move and gets hit so often his extra defense doesn't matter.

I just straight up buff attack all the way. Figure defense doesn't matter if you can kill the guys faster and actually know how to dodge, kind of tricky with some of the really big guys though because they'll gently caress you up.

Then its a matter of hoping it doesn't turn out to be a standard time match because CPU's are major kill stealers.
Also kind of sucks you can't use custom characters for all-stars mode.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

I picked that voice for my human noble because it fit her perfectly and that really got on my nerves. Even the dev team hated that line apparently.

An NPC in that game who really annoyed me was that dwarf voiced by Steve Blum in the market square who would go "Dwarven crafts! Fine, dwarven crafts!" every time you passed him.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

RyokoTK posted:

The Death levels own because you're supposed to play it in multiplayer and spend the entire time screen trapping your partners.
Wait, you can trap other people? Like, they can't walk through your character and you can trap them between you and the wall?

Well, I know what I'm doing tonight when my buddies get online. Valkyrie with a speed-increasing relic says hello to the trapped Elf. :getin:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Celery Face posted:

I picked that voice for my human noble because it fit her perfectly and that really got on my nerves. Even the dev team hated that line apparently.

An NPC in that game who really annoyed me was that dwarf voiced by Steve Blum in the market square who would go "Dwarven crafts! Fine, dwarven crafts!" every time you passed him.

Steve Blum is a little thing that drags down about 90% of the games I play.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Steve Blum is a little thing that drags down about 90% of the games I play.
Ever since someone mentioned that all of his voices sound the same, I can't unhear it. He's just got this weird gravelly thing in his voice that totally gives him away. But the main problem is that he's just in so many goddamn video games. I can think of a few voice actors who don't have much range (Cam Clarke, Barry Dennen, etc.) but at least they're not in every video game ever (they're still awesome though).

Accordion Man posted:

Steve Blum has a lot of range, he's just typecasted as hell.
It's probably because of Cowboy Bebop, isn't it?

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Oct 7, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Accordion Man posted:

I can't let this slide. No matter how he disguises his voice, his "Blumness" cuts through and it's obvious. It's just everywhere.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't let this slide. No matter how he disguises his voice, his "Blumness" cuts through and it's obvious. It's just everywhere.

I happen to think he did a good job as Leeron in Gurren Lagann.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MGS: Peace Walker has by far the most boring and tedious boss fights in the series and the fact that I have to grind side-missions to get anything good is just killing my interest fast. I honestly don't get the praise, to me its by far the weakest in the mainline series and I though 4 was a genuinely good game when you got to play it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rick_Hunter posted:

I happen to think he did a good job as Leeron in Gurren Lagann.

He also voiced one of the Digimon on that show.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Good lord Destiny needs some kind of level veto option. I've played probably ten rounds so far tonight and I swear it's all just been Rusted Lands and Twilight Gap, with a SINGLE ROUND of Shores of Memory or whatever thrown in for variety.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Captain Lavender posted:

"I smellll darkspawwwn!" :byodood:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

MGS: Peace Walker has by far the most boring and tedious boss fights in the series and the fact that I have to grind side-missions to get anything good is just killing my interest fast. I honestly don't get the praise, to me its by far the weakest in the mainline series and I though 4 was a genuinely good game when you got to play it.

It has some loving crazy sidemissions that are absolutely dripping with character, but it doesn't really make up for the tedious boss fights.

Now, four player co-op with the stupidly overpowered weapons. That makes up for the boss fights. :getin:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

Good lord Destiny needs some kind of level veto option. I've played probably ten rounds so far tonight and I swear it's all just been Rusted Lands and Twilight Gap, with a SINGLE ROUND of Shores of Memory or whatever thrown in for variety.

Destiny needs a lot of things. :v:

You could fill up a a whole page with all the annoying poo poo dragging it down.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Playing with a couple of friends makes it a lot more fun and gives you a nice safety net in case you gently caress up. Plus it lets you use all the really silly superweapons which is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Alteisen posted:

Destiny needs a lot of things. :v:

You could fill up a a whole page with all the annoying poo poo dragging it down.

Probably. I still think the good vastly outweighs the bad, though, it just makes the really egregious oversights stand out that much more.

I stopped off at the Tower to decode some engrams and pick up new bounties, then decided to play a different PvP game mode. Four more rounds, two each on Twilight Gap and Rusted Lands. I mean, that's ridiculous.