Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

adorai posted:

software defined networking still requires networking knowledge.

This, just because you're "service chaining" a firewall infront of a server as a VM doesn't mean that you can forget everything you know about firewalls. It will be interesting seeing the "VMware guys" and the "Network guys" try to merge though, as most people I run into who are VMWare experts know very little about networking, but most Network engineers at least know how to build a VMWare server and create VM's. Anecdotal, of course.

You just can't create a few VNICs and get the network guy to plug them into a switch in the future. A decent knowledge of MPLS, BGP, NAT, Filter based forwarding, etc. is going to be mandatory to get any SDN setup working.

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'd say the ability for a single employee to manage more systems means we'll have more systems, not fewer sysadmins, but that's just a random guess.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Nope, jobs are finite and people can only know one thing, so you might as well just preemptively crawl into your software-defined coffin.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

hanyolo posted:

You just can't create a few VNICs and get the network guy to plug them into a switch in the future. A decent knowledge of MPLS, BGP, NAT, Filter based forwarding, etc. is going to be mandatory to get any SDN setup working.
It will be the opposite: the network guy will provision a port on the dvswitch and the VMware guy will connect it to his VM. Realistically, I would say the silos will continue breaking down and you'll end up with a WAN team and a datacenter team. The datacenter team will be a bunch of guys that specialized in all three disciplines important to virtualization: servers, switching, and storage.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

adorai posted:

It will be the opposite: the network guy will provision a port on the dvswitch and the VMware guy will connect it to his VM. Realistically, I would say the silos will continue breaking down and you'll end up with a WAN team and a datacenter team. The datacenter team will be a bunch of guys that specialized in all three disciplines important to virtualization: servers, switching, and storage.
Do you see virtualization-focused datacenter teams continuing to exist as SDN continues to break down many of the barriers between physical DCs and cloud networks on EC2, GCE, DigitalOcean, etc.? With each round of pricing cuts to the major providers, running your own virtual infrastructure for these little app servers seems more and more like a losing proposition. Lots of shops are using cloud for DR already, so we're already seeing virtualization infrastructures for DR sites being outsourced.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
I need some advice and I'm not really sure where to turn. I've been in IT for about 10 years and I specialize in enterprise Backup/Recovery, particularly Commvault. I've always worked directly for companies as an employee and have never done contracting. I'm currently trying to figure out if I want to take a contract position I've been offered but it sounds fishy to me and I'm not sure if its just my inexperience in contract work talking or if its justified. Any input from people who know more about IT contracting, staffing, and corp-to-corp stuff than I do is extremely welcomed.

Here's the situation: I've been offered a job by an Indian IT recruitment company (KRG Technolgies) to work for another Indian staffing company (HCL America) on a contract for their client, an energy company in New Orleans which they have a 5 year contract with. They want me to go to New Orleans for "around 2 months" (no specific end date) for training and then I can go back home and work remotely. For the first month or so I'd be an employee of KRG and then would be hired on full time by HCL and I'd be working with their client. All this stuff is completely foreign to me and I have no idea if it would be a good idea for me to take the position. The money is quite good and working remotely would be ideal for me, but I don't know if it will be worth all the possible BS that could come from dealing with this seemingly convoluted scenario where multiple staffing companies are in play.

They want me to pick up and move to New Orleans on very short notice, by next Monday. I've never lived away from my home state so that makes me nervous, too. I haven't signed the offer letter yet and I'm kinda freaking out trying to figure out what I should do. There's nothing on the offer letter about any of the specifics of how long I'll be in New Orleans, when I'll be transferred to HCL, if my position and pay will stay the same after HCL hires me, or anything in writing about me working remotely from another state.

Anyone who has experience doing contract work please help me out. Does this raise any red flags to you guys? Does this all seem pretty standard? Any advice on what I should expect working in the world of IT contacting vs. being an employee of a normal company? Any general advice? Is this even the right place to ask this?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

Anyone who has experience doing contract work please help me out. Does this raise any red flags to you guys? Does this all seem pretty standard? Any advice on what I should expect working in the world of IT contacting vs. being an employee of a normal company? Any general advice? Is this even the right place to ask this?

I'm currently employed by a contracting company who is contracting me out to another company who have sent me as a representative of their company to a 3rd company (pretty much the same as you). All my timesheeting and pay is handled by the parent company though, so I don't need to create any invoices or anything which is good. It was a hassle to get all the access cards I needed and I provided my own laptop as the one they gave me was utter crap.

Aside from that, I really haven't had any issues so far, they made me fill out OSHA forms/surveys for all the places I'm working to cover their asses but it's pretty much a normal job otherwise.

vvvvv

That does remind me, I took my contract purely to pad my resume and there is no travel involved. I was told that my contract would be 3 months, and then another 3 months at less days per week. 3 months the second company had some "budget" issues so I almost didn't get my extension, so be wary that your contract could abrubtly end at any time. I also don't get any sick/personal/annual leave.

vvvvv

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 7, 2014

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Sounds shady and over complicated. I'd walk away. There's no promises on contracts, that 5 year contract could end tomorrow and you'd be SOL. I know guys who work full time for cisco that were suppose to be on site for "a few months" and they've been here for years now flying in every week.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Didn't Cisco lose some enormous networking deal to Amazon because of SDN? And research showed the company would lose billions if they switch over to SDN?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Didn't Cisco lose some enormous networking deal to Amazon because of SDN? And research showed the company would lose billions if they switch over to SDN?

I thought it would be the opposite? AWS/Rackspace/Azure would certainly be cheaper for a small/medium sized business, but as you grow there would be a tipping point where it is way cheaper to rent/build your own datacenter(s), buy the hardware, hire the staff and do it yourself.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

Do you see virtualization-focused datacenter teams continuing to exist as SDN continues to break down many of the barriers between physical DCs and cloud networks on EC2, GCE, DigitalOcean, etc.? With each round of pricing cuts to the major providers, running your own virtual infrastructure for these little app servers seems more and more like a losing proposition. Lots of shops are using cloud for DR already, so we're already seeing virtualization infrastructures for DR sites being outsourced.
I think the in house datacenter is dead for small organizations, but once you hit medium sized organizations the argument is not as easy to make. It's really the age old question -- will internal IT resources still be needed as outsourcing costs continue to drop? The answer, as it always has been, will be that it depends. Some businesses can tolerate the added risks with an outsourced infrastructure, some benefit from the agility it provides, and others simply aren't. For an organization that already has an infrastructure, it will take significant additional discounts to make the cost argument for a production site. DR sites will be easier to build in the cloud, but with most DR strategies you at least need similar storage hardware.

edit: also, building a datacenter and bringing in fiber is expensive. Even with an in house team, a lot of times it will be cheaper to rent Rackspace until you are of a certain size.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Here's the article I was looking for earlier...

Cisco Lost A $1 Billion Deal With Amazon

quote:

The first was a deal with Amazon. Cisco thought it was going to sign $1 billion deal for network gear for Amazon, one of the largest network deals ever, the source said.

Instead, Amazon shocked Cisco by buying only about $11 million, using cheaper hardware and SDN for the rest of its needs, the source said.

The second was that Chambers asked his top executives to do an analysis on what would happen if Cisco plunged into the SDN market. They concluded it would turn Cisco's "$43 billion business into a $22 billion business," our source said.

In other words, it would gut the switching/routing biz. Chambers was concerned that Wall Street would throw a fit if Cisco's cash-cow hardware business was cannibalized by SDN.

In fact, Wall Street analysts are worried about that now. Last month, Credit Suisse First Boston released a whopping 121-page report called "Cisco Systems and the Software Defined Disruption."

The report says that SDN "threatens the most profitable part" of the hardware business, network gear. Analysts wrote:

"While the impact will take time, the threat will be very real, shrinking gross profit dollars for the industry. Irrespective of whether Cisco executes well in SDN environments, the company is in a vulnerable position amidst this transition."

That's certainly concerning although it could be just headlines but it's not like any organization is going to suddenly layoff half of it's network team and it's entire existing infrastructure.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
While SDN on commodity boxes certainly doesn't perform as well as close-to-the-metal networking gear with finely tuned ASICs, I also don't know anyone who's very concerned about datacenter latency and still buying Cisco gear either.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

While SDN on commodity boxes certainly doesn't perform as well as close-to-the-metal networking gear with finely tuned ASICs, I also don't know anyone who's very concerned about datacenter latency and still buying Cisco gear either.
We don't buy any of the top of the line cisco stuff. lower end layer two 10gbe switches, entry level poe switches for the access layer, etc.. We use ubiquity edgerouters and vyos (formally vyatta) heavily, putting cisco at layer 3 only where we already bought a branch router for voice.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
SDN will probably hybridized a lot of DC jobs, but a lot of network engineer jobs are in areas that probably won't be too affected by SDN: POP sites, NOCs, campus/corporate environments, wireless, and consulting.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I need some advice and I'm not really sure where to turn. I've been in IT for about 10 years and I specialize in enterprise Backup/Recovery, particularly Commvault. I've always worked directly for companies as an employee and have never done contracting. I'm currently trying to figure out if I want to take a contract position I've been offered but it sounds fishy to me and I'm not sure if its just my inexperience in contract work talking or if its justified. Any input from people who know more about IT contracting, staffing, and corp-to-corp stuff than I do is extremely welcomed.

Here's the situation: I've been offered a job by an Indian IT recruitment company (KRG Technolgies) to work for another Indian staffing company (HCL America) on a contract for their client, an energy company in New Orleans which they have a 5 year contract with. They want me to go to New Orleans for "around 2 months" (no specific end date) for training and then I can go back home and work remotely. For the first month or so I'd be an employee of KRG and then would be hired on full time by HCL and I'd be working with their client. All this stuff is completely foreign to me and I have no idea if it would be a good idea for me to take the position. The money is quite good and working remotely would be ideal for me, but I don't know if it will be worth all the possible BS that could come from dealing with this seemingly convoluted scenario where multiple staffing companies are in play.

They want me to pick up and move to New Orleans on very short notice, by next Monday. I've never lived away from my home state so that makes me nervous, too. I haven't signed the offer letter yet and I'm kinda freaking out trying to figure out what I should do. There's nothing on the offer letter about any of the specifics of how long I'll be in New Orleans, when I'll be transferred to HCL, if my position and pay will stay the same after HCL hires me, or anything in writing about me working remotely from another state.

Run away

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

SDN will probably hybridized a lot of DC jobs, but a lot of network engineer jobs are in areas that probably won't be too affected by SDN: POP sites, NOCs, campus/corporate environments, wireless, and consulting.

What do you mean by hybridization of DC jobs?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of these specific companies.

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

For the first month or so I'd be an employee of KRG and then would be hired on full time by HCL and I'd be working with their client.

The bolded part might as well not even be there, that's how much you can count on it.

quote:

They want me to pick up and move to New Orleans on very short notice, by next Monday.

gently caress that right in the ear.

I would never take something that uncertain on that short a notice, not without a huge incentive. Maybe like, two years' worth of signing bonus up front, so if they decided to jerk me around it would hurt them, not me. Moving sucks poo poo under the best of circumstances, and on that short a notice you'll probably be living out of a hotel while you look for a place, which you will have lots of fun doing while being trained during business hours.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

What do you mean by hybridization of DC jobs?

As mentioned previously, network engineers doing a lot more virtualization.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SDN will hurt Cisco, but unless you work for Cisco that shouldn't necessarily concern you. Server virtualization didn't kill off the sysadmin.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
From everything I've read and know about SDN it's really just a way to get around the traditional limitations of networking when building big public clouds. I have no idea what purpose SDN could serve in a one-customer data center.

True SDN, that is, the decoupling of the control plane from the phsyical hardware, is something that is applicable everywhere, but for whatever reason no one has really pursued it at this stage.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for your guys' thoughts on my predicament. They mostly echo a lot of what I've been thinking, too: that there's just too many opportunities to get screwed over and not enough guarantees that I won't be. There's just a lot of red flags including a fact that I forgot to mention: my "interviews" (one phone one skype) both lasted like 4 minutes. But there's still this part of my brain that thinks it might all be worth it if I could work from home and make the kind of money they're offering. I have dreams of having work up on one monitor while playing video games on the other, taking long lunches with friends, not having people breathing down my neck all the time or having to deal with office drama. These are alluring dreams, friends.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

psydude posted:

This is where I am now. We have two very small "datacenters" with vmware networking, but for the most part its routing and switching spread across a large WAN with many branches. I don't see SDN impacting disjointed geographic networking nearly as much as dense datacenters where they are already using network automation and provisioning ports on a daily basis. The issue though is even if you own job is safe, if layoffs in the big datacenters saturate the market with qualified engineers looking for work, its no good for anyone.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
As someone who has been looking for a new job, I'm not too excited about HP dumping 55k more people into the market

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

whaam posted:

This is where I am now. We have two very small "datacenters" with vmware networking, but for the most part its routing and switching spread across a large WAN with many branches. I don't see SDN impacting disjointed geographic networking nearly as much as dense datacenters where they are already using network automation and provisioning ports on a daily basis. The issue though is even if you own job is safe, if layoffs in the big datacenters saturate the market with qualified engineers looking for work, its no good for anyone.

I doubt we'll see layoffs in data centers any time soon. This technology is becoming commonplace because data centers are expanding faster than their support staff can efficiently manage, so this is a way of reducing the time and complexity of the DC network. There's new data centers springing up everywhere, and as more and more of the world becomes connected it will only increase the demand for infrastructure jobs. The difference will be the skillsets those jobs require.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Every new technology puts a panic into some folks. Virtualization didn't kill the sysadmin, SDN won't kill the network admin.

It's simple, keep your skill set up to date and you'll never have a problem finding work.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ZetsurinPower posted:

As someone who has been looking for a new job, I'm not too excited about HP dumping 55k more people into the market

When Cisco laid off a bunch of people a few years back, I mentioned that that was rather unfortunate but I was told it wasn't that bad. One of the owners at a partner told me how the work just can't go away, some people will have more to do but a lot of it will be outsourced.

Working for a partner may not have the same salary or all the perks as does working directly for Cisco. This is also assuming the jobs are outsourced with-in the United States :)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

When Cisco laid off a bunch of people a few years back, I mentioned that that was rather unfortunate but I was told it wasn't that bad. One of the owners at a partner told me how the work just can't go away, some people will have more to do but a lot of it will be outsourced.

Working for a partner may not have the same salary or all the perks as does working directly for Cisco. This is also assuming the jobs are outsourced with-in the United States :)

IT Infrastructure work isn't really outsourceable to India. Most of the things that can be outsourced, like development and help desk have already been moved by any companies that care to do that. The jobs that are still here are going to remain here because they need people who are reasonably local to do them. You can't fly your sales people or your SEs or your Professional Services all across the ocean every time there's work that needs to be done in the states. Partners make money and build relationships by spending time with customers, face to face, and that requires a certain proximity. And any company that still thinks internal IT is important isn't going to hire a bunch of guys 12 time zones over to watch big brother and remote in, or whatever. Keep in mind that we just finished having a 3 page derail about the benefits of a guy getting up and walking over to a user to explain that their issue was being worked on. That stuff still matters and always will, and you can't do that with remote IT. Skype isn't a substitute.

Also, my experience working directly with Cisco folks and then with partners like WWT is that the partners were generally getting paid better than the Cisco employees. People jump back and forth between vendors and VARs constantly for better pay, better jobs, etc.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What do you mean by IT Infrastructure, SE's (Support Engineers) and Professional Services? Yes, sales isn't something that'll be outsourced to India.

Not trying open up multiple conversations but I thought the bit about face-to-face communication was great discussion.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Physical installation of equipment and initial configuration. That'll go to partners/manufacturers and occasionally be done in-house but it's rarely off shored just because you typically need to at least be present for initialization.

Some companies try to outsource anything and everything but ultimately end up bringing large portions of it back in.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
not sure if this is the right thread, but what routers do you guys recommend for small busineses that need remote worker VPN ?

We currently sell on Draytek Vigors - 29xx or 28xx depending on whats on offer at our supplier, but although these appear to be good quality, they are still pricey.

We set them up so that I can VPN to their network from any PC and thus get to the UI of their phone system / call logger / server etc. without having to do complex port forwards / redirects.

do TP-Link etc do routers that support PPTP VPN ?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I couldn't recommend using TP-Link for anything important to be honest. Linksys used to make a decent small business VPN router, the RV something something, but it's been a while, and I'm not sure whats up with Linksys these days after Cisco sold them.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spiny posted:

not sure if this is the right thread, but what routers do you guys recommend for small busineses that need remote worker VPN ?

We currently sell on Draytek Vigors - 29xx or 28xx depending on whats on offer at our supplier, but although these appear to be good quality, they are still pricey.

We set them up so that I can VPN to their network from any PC and thus get to the UI of their phone system / call logger / server etc. without having to do complex port forwards / redirects.

do TP-Link etc do routers that support PPTP VPN ?

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

psydude posted:

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite.

they look interesting, cheers :)

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
My department name was apparently changed from <place> Technology Services to <place> Technology and Facilities Services. :eng99:

Department head just sent an email asking that our signatures be changed accordingly. Pretty sure I'm just dropping the department out of my signature entirely instead and just leaving my job title which should be fine with everyone.

I'm definitely not expected to do any facilities work, so I'm not worried about that, but I can just see the Re:'s - "Hey, since you're in facilities..." coming in on a regular basis if I leave that in there...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the DrayTek's are working for you but some of your customers find the price hard to handle then I can't see how that customer is worth having around to be honest. DrayTek routers aren't expensive by any stretch.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

My department name was apparently changed from <place> Technology Services to <place> Technology and Facilities Services. :eng99:

Department head just sent an email asking that our signatures be changed accordingly. Pretty sure I'm just dropping the department out of my signature entirely instead and just leaving my job title which should be fine with everyone.

I'm definitely not expected to do any facilities work, so I'm not worried about that, but I can just see the Re:'s - "Hey, since you're in facilities..." coming in on a regular basis if I leave that in there...

Proof that the Computer Janitor is a lot closer to reality than people think.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

If the DrayTek's are working for you but some of your customers find the price hard to handle then I can't see how that customer is worth having around to be honest. DrayTek routers aren't expensive by any stretch.

Proof that the Computer Janitor is a lot closer to reality than people think.

Eh, I wouldn't view this as an omen. I'm at a university on a particular school's IT team, and we just have a guy here who handles the little one-off office moves and smaller projects like that. They had to put him in some department, I guess, but there's really no cross-over work.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I've had an unusually bad day, even for this place, and the icing on the poo poo cake was just dropped on me.

We have a check business and we want a mobile app that customers can design their own checks, and then take a picture of a current one, and upload it to our systems to import the data.

And there was just a meeting where the web team argued that we don't need to encrypt the data coming in from the customer 'because it's just a picture'.

:smithicide:

High-Water Marx
Dec 30, 2007

History is nothing but the actions of men in pursuit of gnarly waves

:byobear:

High-Water Marx fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Get whatever knowledge you can get and get the hell out of web hosting would be my advice. It's a stepping stone, not a career.