Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tomar Re arrived to save Krypton, but he showed up on the wrong side of the sun or something and was rendered unable to help when Rao exploded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought he got knocked out by a yellow sun going nova while en route to Krypton with a bundle of some rare element that was going to arrest the core's nuclear meltdown.

E: this is what wikipedia says:

quote:

Tomar's most famous mission while serving in the Corps dealt with the planet Krypton. Krypton, a planet in sector 2813, was growing increasingly unstable. It was due to explode, caused by internal pressures deep inside the planet's core. Tomar-Re sought to use a rare compound called stellarium to absorb some of the tectonic pressure, thus saving the Kryptonians. He gathered the compound, and was en route to Krypton when a yellow solar flare blinded him, and forced him to drop the stellarium. He quickly recovered, but discovered he was blind. He gathered what little stellarium he could without his sight, and proceeded towards Krypton. He was closing in when his vision started to clear. The first thing he saw upon his sight returning was Krypton exploding. The Guardians recovered Tomar and brought him back to Oa, where he healed and rested.

I think I like the way I remembered it better.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 6, 2014

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Considering part of the Krypton's origin story generally is that since they were huge assholes who wouldn't listen to Jor-El, I always figured they'd do the same thing to any GL who showed up and just tell them to gently caress off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Considering part of the Krypton's origin story generally is that since they were huge assholes who wouldn't listen to Jor-El, I always figured they'd do the same thing to any GL who showed up and just tell them to gently caress off.

Not all of them were assholes. There was the guy who agreed with Jor-El and built a full sized escape rocket...

in Kandor. Whoops!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WickedHate posted:

It was Tomar Re, the orange dude with the beak.

He probably thought "Eh, I'll do it tomarre *squawk*"

:downsrim:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What was the Elseworlds (if it even was an Elseworlds; it might have been within a Superman story) where Kal-El becomes Green Lantern of Krypton's sector of space?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Superman: Last Son of Earth.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm re-reading Marvels for the first time since it came out, and early on there's a guy dressed all in blue with a long red cape you see jumping between buildings behind Phil. Who the heck is that? I think I must have thought it was a Superman cameo back when I first read it, but that doesn't actually make any sense. Especially since Clark, Lois, and Jimmy all show up as cameos in a shot of the press later on.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

a kitten posted:

I'm re-reading Marvels for the first time since it came out, and early on there's a guy dressed all in blue with a long red cape you see jumping between buildings behind Phil. Who the heck is that? I think I must have thought it was a Superman cameo back when I first read it, but that doesn't actually make any sense. Especially since Clark, Lois, and Jimmy all show up as cameos in a shot of the press later on.

Is it during the early days as it could be Angel.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Metal Loaf posted:

What was the Elseworlds (if it even was an Elseworlds; it might have been within a Superman story) where Kal-El becomes Green Lantern of Krypton's sector of space?
It was a not-an-Elseworlds (it was a fuckin' Elseworlds, they just slapped a weird framing device around a few obvious Elseworlds scripts where Jor-El was running simulations to decide where to send Kal to), and Kal-El got sent to Oa. It wasn't great, the Guardians trained Kal to rely on his ring but to solve the Whatever Problem of that issue, Kal has to use his kryptonian powers too, the end.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

This is probably it, it's exactly the kind of continuity that Busiek loves. Though it plays against the whole idea that the meeting of Namor and the Torch was the beginning of the age of Marvels. (And can I just say how much it bugged me that Strucker said 'miracles' at the end of Captain America 2?)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

This is probably it, it's exactly the kind of continuity that Busiek loves. Though it plays against the whole idea that the meeting of Namor and the Torch was the beginning of the age of Marvels. (And can I just say how much it bugged me that Strucker said 'miracles' at the end of Captain America 2?)

He was active before Human Torch and Namor, and he was just a guy in a suit. The real age of marvels was when they started to be heroes with powers. If you want to some story with him in it read The Marvels Project.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That's definitely it, you can even make out the ankle/shin things he has on. Thanks!

I should have thought to take a picture when I asked in the first place though.

edit:
Jeez, he even namedrops him right on the previous page.

quote:

It's not like there hadn't been mystery-men before: The Angel, The Phantom Eagle--even as far back as The Rawhide Kid.

But this was different, these new creatures--they were more than human.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 6, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So that's where the guy from X-men Noir came from. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

So that's where the guy from X-men Noir came from. Thanks for solving that mystery for me.

Read Marvel Project. He is a main character in it and its really really good.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I'm trying to remember the name of a comic from... maybe a decade ago? It was an indie black-and-white in the vein of Scott Pilgrim or The Amazing Joy Buzzards that was basically about a couple of famous punk rockers raising a family.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

HitTheTargets posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a comic from... maybe a decade ago? It was an indie black-and-white in the vein of Scott Pilgrim or The Amazing Joy Buzzards that was basically about a couple of famous punk rockers raising a family.

Hopeless Savages

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury
Did Claremont leave X-men on bad terms after his original run? I recently read up through X-Men #3 and it's his last issue and as far as I can see there was no fanfare at all. Maybe the fanfare is a more recent thing, but I thought writers kind of sum out their thoughts and thank the fans after a long iconic run.

Also seemed weird for him to be leaving on a #3 of a new series instead of ending it with an Uncanny issue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He did indeed.

The artist for the last stretch of Claremont's run was future Image co-founder and superstar artist Jim Lee, who decided the best way to resolve his creative differences with Claremont over the direction of the plot was to submit his finished artwork to be scripted at the last possible moment, to prevent Claremont from having it changed to match his own intentions more closely.

Eventually, Claremont went to Bob Harras (the group editor on the X-Men titles) and told him to have words with Lee or he'd leave. Harras decided to side with Lee, whose artwork was believed to be the comic's main selling point at the time, so Claremont quit.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 7, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Benito Cereno posted:

Hopeless Savages

Thanks, bro. It's as if you're a scholar of some kind.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

He probably thought "Eh, I'll do it tomarre *squawk*"

I was reading this on my phone in the break room at work, and you made me crack up so suddenly and so loud that people heard me behind the closed door. That was the highlight of my day!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Metal Loaf posted:

He did indeed.

The artist for the last stretch of Claremont's run was future Image co-founder and superstar artist Jim Lee, who decided the best way to resolve his creative differences with Claremont over the direction of the plot was to submit his finished artwork to be scripted at the last possible moment, to prevent Claremont from having it changed to match his own intentions more closely.

Eventually, Claremont went to Bob Harras (the group editor on the X-Men titles) and told him to have words with Lee or he'd leave. Harras decided to side with Lee, whose artwork was believed to be the comic's main selling point at the time, so Claremont quit.
I don't think the whole submitting the finished art late was an intentional thing, but yeah - Lee came on board and wanted to do stories about Sentinels, have Magneto as a villain and Professor X in a wheelchair, Claremont wanted to move past all that stuff. He went to Harras, who sided with Lee, so Claremont left.

Here's a bit of background on it:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/05/21/comic-book-legends-revealed-208/

e: Man, the Lee image at the bottom, that would have been a pretty kickass X-Men line-up at the time. I presume that would have been the team in Uncanny from #281 onward or something.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 7, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think the whole submitting the finished art late was an intentional thing, but yeah - Lee came on board and wanted to do stories about Sentinels, have Magneto as a villain and Professor X in a wheelchair, Claremont wanted to move past all that stuff. He went to Harras, who sided with Lee, so Claremont left.

Whatever may have happened, it is interesting that it was basically a reversal of the situation ten years earlier, when Byrne quit because Claremont was scripting it contrary to his own intentions (e.g. there's one issue where Colossus rips a stump out of the ground; Byrne wanted it to demonstrate how easy it was for him, but Claremont filled out the narration in a way that portrayed it as more of a titanic struggle).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

Whatever may have happened, it is interesting that it was basically a reversal of the situation ten years earlier, when Byrne quit because Claremont was scripting it contrary to his own intentions (e.g. there's one issue where Colossus rips a stump out of the ground; Byrne wanted it to demonstrate how easy it was for him, but Claremont filled out the narration in a way that portrayed it as more of a titanic struggle).

Colossus can lift 75 tons; a tree stump should have been no big deal at all. :spergin:

edit: Or was it 50 tons? It's been a while since I was up to date on this stuff.

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 7, 2014

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Maybe the roots had embedded in a boulder and Colossus was trying to lift himself. Maybe it was Krakatoa's toe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zachack posted:

Maybe the roots had embedded in a boulder and Colossus was trying to lift himself. Maybe it was Krakatoa's toe.

More like Kraka-toe-a!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

prefect posted:

Colossus can lift 75 tons; a tree stump should have been no big deal at all. :spergin:

edit: Or was it 50 tons? It's been a while since I was up to date on this stuff.

If it was Claremont/Byrne era, that wouldn't have been established beyond Colossus being able to punch a tractor and maybe throw Wolverine around.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://www.metla.fi/silvafennica/full/sf44/sf444681.pdf

It's not easy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Metal Loaf posted:

The same thing happens during the Dark Phoenix saga. If you look at the fight between Colossus and Gladiator, the narration boxes make it sound like both combatants are fighting as equal.
Looking at the artwork, Gladiator is standing with his hands on his hips in full Superman pose as if to say "you can start punching me any second now Colossus. Any second. Oh wait, you are trying to hurt me? Never mind." The artwork makes it clear that Colossus is nothing compared to him.

Just another example of how artwrok and words can really differ.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"Time runs out" is exclusive to Avengers/Hickman, right? (I still can't see the "axis" logo and not read "sixis")

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it's the build up to the end of Hickman's run on both books.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

There are a lot of puny trees in that study but it looks like you need about 10-20 tons of force to be able to confidently say you can uproot an average tree.

Which only raises the more important question, can Spider-Man uproot a tree?

edit: He can, but he really has to lift with his legs and be careful. Spider grip helps too. Mostly good for replanting saplings.

Ror fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 9, 2014

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
In the Marvel universe, there are comic books that are inspired by their "real life" hero counterparts. I recall that there are Spider-man and Daredevil comics, which are kind of like the old pulp horror comics, and I want to say Captain America has a comic too (possibly drawn by Steve himself?)

Does DC have anything like that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

In the Marvel universe, there are comic books that are inspired by their "real life" hero counterparts. I recall that there are Spider-man and Daredevil comics, which are kind of like the old pulp horror comics, and I want to say Captain America has a comic too (possibly drawn by Steve himself?)

An early Fantastic Four involved Doctor Doom kidnapping Stan Lee and Jack Kirby since they wrote the Fantastic Four comics. Yeah Captain America did have one, and he was the artist. I also remember during Bru's run Bucky hated it since it made him seem like just a "sidekick" not Cap's secret weapon.

Yeah pre crisis Barry Allan read comics with Jay, and it helped to inspire him. He then vibrated into the earth 2.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
And, according to She-Hulk, Marvel comics are admissible in court as evidence in the Marvel universe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phylodox posted:

And, according to She-Hulk, Marvel comics are admissible in court as evidence in the Marvel universe.

It helps that a lot of the early Marvel comics were co-created by God.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, so I'll be at NYCC a couple days. This is the first year I've gone when I'm really and genuinely into comics. (Previously, it's been all about the books and gaming, etc.)

Are there any good links for etiquette of things like getting sketches from artists in Artist's Alley at NYCC or cons in general? Prices I should expect to pay? Or tips for doing this, general knowledge (if some artists are no fun and overcharge), etc?

I've googled a bit, but I figure y'all might have thoughts or point me in the right direction. If it's really easy and there are no tips to give, even better. Thanks in advance!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

In Suicide Squad Grant Morrison was sent on a mission with the squad and was promptly killed. He couldn't write his way out of a death scene.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CzarChasm posted:

No, the DC characters don't have their own in-universe comics. There are winks on both sides that Marvel publishes comics in the DCU and DC publishes comics on Earth-616, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
At one point a child called Daredevil "Red Batman"