Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

basically the reason osx is bad at being linux is because it isn't linux

and thank god for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still ships with a proprietary compiler

huh?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
im still usign xfce because gnome 3 eats ctrl+alt+down no matter what i do. should i use cinnamon instead i wonder

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the osx compiler is partly open source partly closed source and separately licensed with a loving click-through license agreement

it is very early-90s special

at least i didn't have to enter a license key or upload a "PAK"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

im still usign xfce because gnome 3 eats ctrl+alt+down no matter what i do. should i use cinnamon instead i wonder

kde 4 has finally gotten not-terrible. if you like xfce kde might be up your alley

just in time for kde 5 release to break everything again

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

kde 4 has finally gotten not-terrible. if you like xfce kde might be up your alley

just in time for kde 5 release to break everything again

kde is painful if they still want everything to be done with _their_ special browser and _their_ special cool terminal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bobbilljim posted:

kde is painful if they still want everything to be done with _their_ special browser and _their_ special cool terminal

it's very easy to set a default browser nowadays, they don't force konq down your throat anymore

their special cool terminal is unironically the best terminal emulator on linux so idk about your malfunction there. you probably could replace it but you probably shouldn't

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

solaris is poo poo, tcl/tk is poo poo, SunCC is double dog dare hypershit, working with all three every day is poo poo, kill me please

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also because my work day wasn't poo poo enough

clearcase is poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

also because my work day wasn't poo poo enough

clearcase is poo poo

this is the shittiest thing in your list you poor bastard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i find myself imagining the spaceship required to collect and bag "double dog dare hypershit"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is the shittiest thing in your list you poor bastard

i tried to get our groups to move to git the last couple weeks

they refused and won because they convinced mgmt they'd lose all their history and that wasn't worth saving $50k/yr

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

WELL loving DUH YOU'D LOSE YOUR HISTORY THAT'S THE POINT

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

YOU DO NOT IN FACT NEED TO KEEP EACH REVISION OF EACH FILE THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

the kde terminal annoys me because its significantly different to the one used by everything else ever. its probably better but who gives a care tbh

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Move to workspace below, press Backspace to delete the default binding.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this thread lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theadder posted:

this thread lol

I'm unironically enjoying it right now

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts -> Move to workspace below, press Backspace to delete the default binding.

The default binding is Super+PageDown, there's no config option anywhere for Ctrl-Alt-Down

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I'm unironically enjoying it right now

ya its funny but not for the right reasons lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theadder posted:

ya its funny but not for the right reasons lol
i get a lot of laughs out of this thread from posts like:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still garbage Mach
still riddled with weird bsd tools
still ships with a proprietary compiler
still doesn't have a package system

every Sun Microsystems sin and awkward hack of the 1980s, haunting us in 2014

"os x is so behind because it doesnt use archaic bullshit like package managers!!"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i think its real but is it a gimmick maybe

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

you would think, but no. that just stops the workspace switching from working, while still swallowing the command.

lol @ the javascript desktop

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

solaris and irix were mentioned up-thread and somehow they manage to have none of these problems. it's almost like they are up to date with 1990s technology

irix hasn't been updated regularly since 2005 and it's still a much more "modern" system in all the ways that should count. it's so legacy it's discontinued and it still makes osx look like a joke

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand2686.htm

lol unix 95, not even unix 98 lollllll

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3602.htm

unix 03

(which is the latest, and the fact that it's been 11 years without a new SuS or unix ## certification should tell you how important your neckbeard unix purity is any more even tho apple apparently cares enough to keep going through the motions)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
(unlike undead zombie sgi)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

bobbilljim posted:

you would think, but no. that just stops the workspace switching from working, while still swallowing the command.

lol @ the javascript desktop

That's interesting. I can't reproduce that behavior here. I verified we're dropping the grab, too. I'll investigate more tonight.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
All of the code you're touching is C, by the way (gnome-control-center, gnome-settings-daemon, mutter)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's interesting. I can't reproduce that behavior here. I verified we're dropping the grab, too. I'll investigate more tonight.

That's because you're running pre-release software.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Suspicious Dish posted:

i just logged out and went back to gnome to check im not being daft. I opened the dialogue, the current setting for move to workspace below is "super+page down". When I do ctrl alt down, it moves to workspace below. I changed the shortcut to ctrl+shift+page down and control alt down still works. disabled the shortcuts and still works too. idk im on fedora and gnome 3 windows 8 style desktop

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

also if you're involved in gnome dev who the gently caress decided to put a hot corner in the top left and not provide any way to configure it. and the default thing it does is the same action as going into the corner and clicking? saves u a click i guess but for idiots with 2 monitors it is hell

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Ciaphas posted:

solaris is poo poo, tcl/tk is poo poo, SunCC is double dog dare hypershit, working with all three every day is poo poo, kill me please

I like parts of tcl and tk

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

bobbilljim posted:

also if you're involved in gnome dev who the gently caress decided to put a hot corner in the top left and not provide any way to configure it. and the default thing it does is the same action as going into the corner and clicking? saves u a click i guess but for idiots with 2 monitors it is hell

pointer barriers should make it Just Work™ in multi-monitor configurations

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

still riddled with weird bsd tools

glug glug glug

save me stallman

quote:

Why GNU su does not support the `wheel' group

(This section is by Richard Stallman.)

Sometimes a few of the users try to hold total power over all the rest. For example, in 1984, a few users at the MIT AI lab decided to seize power by changing the operator password on the Twenex system and keeping it secret from everyone else. (I was able to thwart this coup and give power back to the users by patching the kernel, but I wouldn't know how to do that in Unix.)

However, occasionally the rulers do tell someone. Under the usual su mechanism, once someone learns the root password who sympathizes with the ordinary users, he or she can tell the rest. The "wheel group" feature would make this impossible, and thus cement the power of the rulers.

I'm on the side of the masses, not that of the rulers. If you are used to supporting the bosses and sysadmins in whatever they do, you might find this idea strange at first.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

pointer barriers should make it Just Work™ in multi-monitor configurations

im an idiot that has one portrait monitor and one landscape monitor so sometime the path from right monitor to left monitor involves jamming my pointer into the hot corner haha

to put all these things in and nothing to configure them is so anti-linuxsperg its insane

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
i would say 'choose any other desktop environment where pathologically removing any semblance of useful functionality isn't hallowed as the prime design goal' but you've already done that

so you're p much on the right path, nice job man

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the osx compiler is partly open source partly closed source and separately licensed with a loving click-through license agreement

i see, you're intentionally conflating clang and Xcode to appeal to the GNU/Linux crowd by bringing up the bogeyman of "closed source"

clang is a pretty nice compiler, open source and also far better architected than anything GNU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

but goddamned seriously, who thought file versions over overall commits was a good loving idea

my only solace is that clearcase isn't integrated with clearquest in our house

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Last Chance posted:

"os x is so behind because it doesnt use archaic bullshit like package managers!!"

"how could I possibly do recreational janitorial work if it doesn't include rpm?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, i really need to tidy up my filesystem...

i mean, there's libraries just everywhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
and look at this! some of these files aren't even editable plaintext!

how the gently caress am i supposed to work with this?