Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm watching Arrow, and really enjoying it (it's basically a Batman TV show), but I'm on episode 8 of season 1, and holy poo poo the actress playing Huntress is just the worst actress I've seen in recent memory. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

thrawn527 posted:

I'm watching Arrow, and really enjoying it (it's basically a Batman TV show), but I'm on episode 8 of season 1, and holy poo poo the actress playing Huntress is just the worst actress I've seen in recent memory. Holy poo poo.

Don't worry, she only shows up a couple of times.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lomzus posted:

Turns out all of that Twin Peaks revival buzz was much ado about something. TVLine has learned that Showtime has given the green light to a nine-episode revival of David Lynch and Mark Frost’s seminal ’90s drama series.
I’m told this would not be a reboot but a present-day continuation — in the same vein as TNT’s Dallas. Also, sources confirm that Lynch and Frost are poised to pen all nine episodes, with Lynch directing every installment.
Lynch and Frost confirmed the news early Monday on Twitter.

http://tvline.com/2014/10/06/twin-peaks-showtime-season-3-air-date-2016/

Awesome. I wonder if BOB is still in Agent Cooper or if he's moved on.

Spoiler protection since even though this is a well known ending to a twenty-five year old television show, some people might be coming to it blind because of the new show.

thexerox123 posted:

Yeah, I watched it for the first time a few months ago but stalled partway through the second season... I guess I should finish watching it sometime, now!

My rule for people is as soon as you go, "This sucks!" skip to the last two episodes. You really aren't missing anything by doing that.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

thrawn527 posted:

That two-parter is the absolute low point of the show. It only gets better from there.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

That two-parter is the absolute low point of the show. It only gets better from there.

Though drunk Laurel does come pretty close.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

Though drunk Laurel does come pretty close.

To the best, maybe.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Since the thread for it died a while ago, thought that for the benefit of anyone who used to post in it I'd drop in here that The Chris Gethard Show stealthily returned after a potentially permanent hiatus and is on excellent form. It's had a soft reboot so this is a decent jumping-on point. Good primer for the uninitiated.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

thrawn527 posted:

Fortunately, those episodes are the worst of the series so it only goes up from there!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I just watched that first episode of Mulaney and thought it was a bit poo poo. I mean you get good live audience shows of that type but it seems like every one that's come out in the last few years has had a cast that's been mugging for the audience's reaction which makes the entire thing feel forced.

The ones that seem to carry on for a while (or are regarded as classics) seem to ignore the audience as much as possible or at least play for laughs within themselves with a good script rather than just to get a reaction out of a bunch of people watching them.

How is it that so many shows don't get that?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I enjoyed Mulaney despite the fact that John Mulaney is a terrible terrible actor. He makes up for it though by being funny. And his show is basically just based on bits from his standup which is great. I will continue watching because as bad an actor as he is it's actually kind of endearing in a way.

Man, I don't know what to think about Mulaney. Certain bits seemed to cliched and hamhanded that it felt like it was a parody of multicam sitcoms, from Nasim's oh-so-zany character introduction being her bursting through the door yelling how she wasn't crazy to the drug dealer friend walking through the door and being introduced as the hipster version of Newman the drug dealer and then the scene immediately ends.

It wants to be Seinfeld so, so badly that it's kinda pathetic. The aping ranges from the previously referenced character expys to the gratuitous standup bits (which were cut from Seinfeld for a reason: they didn't fit, and they don't fit here either). No one involved seems entirely comfortable with the multicam format: I caught the actors (unintentionally) glancing at the camera a few times, and like someone above mentioned Mulaney himself seems to think that he's acting in a play, not a sitcom. His delivery and actions were beyond artificial across the board. Oh yeah, and let's talk about the delivery. Monotone snarking can work, but you have to put some swagger or self confidence behind it. Mulaney ended up sounding like a robotic Matthew Broderick the entire time.

Oh and I really can't believe how much Nasim is pandering to the multicam format, she is so much more talented than that.

All said, the show did get some laughs out of me ("Oh no, not the hundred, that was a mistake") and the return of the colonoscopy pose and subsequent reaction was actually pretty drat close to something that could have actually been on Seinfeld (though for all I know, it might have been). So as long as they do more of that, and less of the blatantly predictable magical old gay guy advice segments, it might actually be a decent show.

Or, y'know, a network could just throw money at Larry David et. al. until he brings back Seinfeld (hell, it'd probably be cheaper than Big Bang Theory is at this point) instead of bothering with shows like Mulaney at all.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I stalled at her multi-part appearance. I suppose I'll pick it up eventually but with the Twin Peaks news that's shot up my priority list.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, I stalled at her multi-part appearance. I suppose I'll pick it up eventually but with the Twin Peaks news that's shot up my priority list.

I also abandoned the show after the Huntress arc, only to catch up on Netflix when I was working and overnight shift. Definitely watch Twin Peaks, but make sure to catch up on Arrow after that.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Someone needs to sell me on the second season of Arrow, because I bailed after the Suicide Squad ep when I realized again how bad the writing can get.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Honestly if that poo poo bothers you that much, you should probably bail.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So not only is David Fincher directing every episode of the first season of his Utopia adaptation, he's bringing in Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to handle the scripts.

In other words, this thing will be getting True Detective-level hype by the time it comes out and you should go check out the UK version now so you can say you liked it before it was cool. :colbert:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Season 2 of Peaky Blinders just started. Season 1 was awesome, people should check it out.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

savinhill posted:

Season 2 of Peaky Blinders just started. Season 1 was awesome, people should check it out.

Peaky Blinders was one of my favorite shows last year. Been waiting for a while for season 2, glad it's finally here and can't wait to see Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy stare at each other.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hear Sam Neill is also quite good in it which I am happy for because Sam Neill is awesome and has never really been bad in a role sans getting that paycheck for JP3.

IRQ posted:

I have never seen that show.
I really need to since the closest Twin Peaks related thing I have watched is Fantomas cover of the song from "Fire Walk With Me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diR4dCn0R0s

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 7, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Season one is on Netflix now.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

hcreight posted:

So not only is David Fincher directing every episode of the first season of his Utopia adaptation, he's bringing in Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to handle the scripts.

In other words, this thing will be getting True Detective-level hype by the time it comes out and you should go check out the UK version now so you can say you liked it before it was cool. :colbert:
I wonder what they're going to do for music.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

That's a ballsy pick: a great one, even. I can't wait to see what comes of it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Shageletic posted:

Someone needs to sell me on the second season of Arrow, because I bailed after the Suicide Squad ep when I realized again how bad the writing can get.

If you need to be sold on Arrow after watching any of it, it's not for you.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
No one asked for it, so I made a Revenge (season 4) thread. Calling all three of you regulars to come over there, I don't like to watch soaps alone. For what it's worth, the first couple episodes weren't nearly as awful as I expected!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
How the hell is REVEN8E on Season 4 already?

Oh, looks like it started in 2011. Was it really that long ago?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 7, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Go home, NBC, you're drunk.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

I hear Sam Neill is also quite good in it which I am happy for because Sam Neill is awesome and has never really been bad in a role sans getting that paycheck for JP3.

He plays an uptight and ruthless oldschool Irish cop on it and does such a good job of it.

VDay posted:

Peaky Blinders was one of my favorite shows last year. Been waiting for a while for season 2, glad it's finally here and can't wait to see Tom Hardy and Cillian Murphy stare at each other.

The actor playing the track owner mobster reminded me so much of Hardy, it's so awesome having the real dude on this next season too.

Slamhound posted:

I wonder what they're going to do for music.

It'll be hard topping the UK version's music, hopefully they won't even bother trying to.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is there a Flash thread? Seeing some reviews/leaks/spoilers/whatever has actually got me pretty excited for it, even though I'm waiting for DC to use Arrow's greatness as a bait to lure me in and then gently caress up my favorite DC hero somehow because DC.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is there a Flash thread? Seeing some reviews/leaks/spoilers/whatever has actually got me pretty excited for it, even though I'm waiting for DC to use Arrow's greatness as a bait to lure me in and then gently caress up my favorite DC hero somehow because DC.

:flashfact: There is :flashfact:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wonderful, I look forward to the roller coaster of 'is this gonna be another Arrow or another Gotham'.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Hey, remember that Slimed book about Nickelodeon?

quote:

spoke to Flavorwire about the event, our persistent love for this era, and why he believes Nickelodeon’s desire to diversify its programming is “exploitive and predatory.”

uh

quote:

To just shove it in there because, “Uh-oh, we need diversity,” is silly and a little disgusting. It needs to be the best people working on the best shows. They happen to be white, that’s a shame. They happen to be all guys, that’s a shame.

http://flavorwire.com/480990/pete-p...versity-problem

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

ElwoodCuse posted:

uh

Well you know, white men are the best at things, whadayagonnado.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

uh

I don't think I've ever seen an interviewee go balls deep with so little prompting. It's almost impressive.

e: I also would challenge anyone who says that Cousin Skeeter was not the best show Nickelodeon has ever aired.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 7, 2014

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

JohnSherman posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an interviewee go balls deep with so little prompting. It's almost impressive.

e: I also would challenge anyone who says that Cousin Skeeter was not the best show Nickelodeon has ever aired.

Yeah, that guy had an agenda to be an rear end in a top hat and he wasn't going to let the innocence of the planned questions stop him from jamming both of his feet down his own throat. That interview was gross.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There's going to be a TV show based off of Myst.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

That is brilliant, I was kinda impressed by the games but I really liked the novels. Hopefully they share quite a bit in common with those as there wasn't exactly HEAPS of story in the games themselves. Even better if they just remake the books as the show.

Plus of course they need to pull off the world well. If the film sets or locations aren't up to scratch then that will be disappointing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
TMZ is reporting that the guy who played the dad on 7th heaven is/was a child molester and that they have tape of him confessing it(recorded by his soon to be ex-wife).

quote:

Stephen Collins -- who played the pastor/dad on "7th Heaven" -- confessed to his estranged wife he was a child molester, and it's all on tape ... a tape obtained by TMZ. And the New York Police Dept. is now conducting an active criminal investigation involving sexual contact with multiple children.

Collins -- who is in the middle of a nasty, prolonged divorce with actress Faye Grant -- revealed to her in 2012 he had molested and/or exposed himself to several underage girls years before. Collins and Grant went to a therapist where she peppered him with questions about the incidents ... and he not only answered, he was specific.

Here's what Collins didn't know at the time. Grant taped the therapy session. We're told her lawyer advised her it was legal to secretly record the conversation because in California you're allowed to secretly record conversations to gather evidence the other person committed a violent felony ... and molesting a child under the age of 14 qualifies.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/10/07/stephen-collins-child-molestation-7th-heaven-audio-tape-nypd-investigation/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Jesus.

:stare:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

TMZ is reporting that the guy who played the dad on 7th heaven is/was a child molester and that they have tape of him confessing it(recorded by his soon to be ex-wife).

Kinda hosed up that she would sit on something like that for 2 years and only break it out as ammo in a divorce case.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Please let this lead to a Myst revival. I'd kill for a new game that isn't the community trying to make an unfinished mmo playable.

And woah, Stephen Collins. I usually hate TMZ in any way, shape or form but that is fuuucked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElwoodCuse posted:

uh

I... Is it possible that someone that... uh... opinionated could possibly write an unbiased book? Like, holy poo poo, what the hell does the chapter on All That read like? Does he describe it as a one man show starring the great *checks IMDB for the white guy's name* Josh Server and also some minorities and women?

• Locked thread