Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

OptimusWang posted:

As someone who has once heard Pikachu's sweet, dulcet tones I can't begin to describe what you're missing.

That a filthy lie btw. Seriously dude, I will mail you a usb rock band mic if you'll use it.

Don't. "She" claims to be a 19 year old co-ed and probably has at least a baker's dozen of them, still wrapped, under a thick layer of Cheeto dust and shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

armchairyoda posted:

Cheeto dust and shame.

Unnecessarily redundant.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Is it just me or is this "interesting": http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/173711-game-mode-voting-system-explained/

quote:

I wanted to provide some more explanation on how the new game mode voting system was going to work since I saw lots of incorrect speculation. Many were feeling that certain game modes might completely disappear no matter how they voted, this shouldn't be the case. Please see the explanation below:

1. Starting Bias
The pending game starts with one default bias for all game modes:

Skirmish 1
Assault 1
Conquest 1

2. First group – +4 People - Leader’s Bias: Skirmish, Assault
A group of 4 is added to the game, and the group leaders selection was for Skirmish and Assault. The other group members votes are not transmitted to the matchmaker, so the group leaders selection is counted 4 times:

Skirmish 5 (+4 bias)
Assault 5 (+4 bias)
Conquest 1

3. Second group – +12 people – Leader’s Bias: Conquest
Next, a group of 12 is added to the game, again counting the leader of that groups selections x 12. In this case, the group leader selected only conquest:

Skirmish 5
Assault 5
Conquest 13 (+12 bias)

4. Third group – +8 people – Leader’s Bias: Assault Conquest
Finally a group of 8 is added to complete the game. The leader of this group selected assault and conquest:

Skirmish 5
Assault 13 (+8 bias)
Conquest 21 (+8 bias)

5. Cumulative Distribution Function
So final vote tally is 39 votes. Summing these values up, the following table shows a cumulative distribution function given the users votes.

Skirmish 5 (+0)
Assault 18 (+5)
Conquest 39 (+18)

6. Dice Rolls
The Matchmaker now rolls a random ’39 sided’ die. If the number comes out to 5 or less, the Matchmaker selects Skirmish. If the number is between 6 and 18, the Matchmaker selects Assault. If the number was 19 or greater, then Conquest.

Skirmish ~13% odds
Assault ~34%
Conquest ~53%

In the solo queue - of course each player is added individually instead of using group leaders.

So if you would like to see conquest more frequently, your best course of action might be to vote for Conquest only, that way you increase the likely hood of playing conquest without adding to the chances of the other game modes.

Once this goes live we will be watching the MM closely with the hope that the average ELO difference between group queue matches will reduce noticeably.

Update: Yes a future map voting system would work the same way, so no map should disappear completely but players can influence the frequency.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
VeeDub:argh: How did I do as almost much damage as you and you were in a Dire Wolf while I was in a lovely stock Founder's Catapault?

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

WTF is this? Is this where you vote on game types before the round starts? Or is this their way of dealing with a hemmorhaging player base by ignoring what people specify for game type? jfc this game sucks.

I get all my MWO news from this thread, so I have no idea what the real context for this is, but it sounds like unmitigated bullshit. I could easily be missing something, though.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

RangerAce posted:

WTF is this? Is this where you vote on game types before the round starts? Or is this their way of dealing with a hemmorhaging player base by ignoring what people specify for game type? jfc this game sucks.

I get all my MWO news from this thread, so I have no idea what the real context for this is, but it sounds like unmitigated bullshit. I could easily be missing something, though.

They are having matchmaker problems because it doesn't put you into a separate queue if you select a certain game mode before it tries to match you against an Elo appropriate team. Instead of segregating the queue and solving the increased wait time this causes, they are taking away the ability to rule out certain types of matches and trying to pitch it as an improvement in player choice. It doesn't get much more :pgi:

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

WebDO posted:

They are having matchmaker problems because it doesn't put you into a separate queue if you select a certain game mode before it tries to match you against an Elo appropriate team. Instead of segregating the queue and solving the increased wait time this causes, they are taking away the ability to rule out certain types of matches and trying to pitch it as an improvement in player choice. It doesn't get much more :pgi:

The best part, is that if your small to middlin group ONLY wants to play Conquest, but the majority of the playerbase wants to play Deathmatch Blob, GUESS WHAT YOU WILL BE PLAYING MOST OF THE TIME. gently caress :pgi:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

RangerAce posted:

The best part, is that if your small to middlin group ONLY wants to play Conquest, but the majority of the playerbase wants to play Deathmatch Blob, GUESS WHAT YOU WILL BE PLAYING MOST OF THE TIME. gently caress :pgi:

But don't you see, it would be bad for you to be able to play the mode you specifically want to play because

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's an overly complicated solution for the fact that they simply don't have enough players to support 3 separate match maker queues. So they are making it one with an illusion of choice. It's sorta smart when you consider the number of active players.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Maybe it would be easier to fill games within their parameters if they, I dunno

had matches with fewer than 24 loving players (on maps """""""designed""""""" (lol) for 16)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Or they can ditch their halfassed group based Elo system that is obviously ridiculous to anyone who had ever played chess or any other Elo based tournament because you can't do Elo when you depend on your teammates who may be higher or lower ranked for whether or not you win (thus affecting your ranking). You can almost kind of do average Elo but then you have to control for who is in what class with which scores, and basically the Elo system is poorly implemented but it's something they delivered so even though it doesn't work they will cling to it like grim death.

Basically like everything else.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
Man I must really be terrible at this game, I don't know how people do it. When I watch people play a jenner it's all super intense crazy poo poo juking in the middle of every enemy player actually killing stuff and dealing 500+ damage by the end of the game and they survive.

Me: Can barely damage 1 guy alone, die to a million missiles or I just accidentally run into the entire enemy team trying to do the exact opposite of that and just die instantly.

I even tried scouting for my team but 1 guy saw me and then the entire enemy team just converged on my location because gently caress that single light he must diiiiiiiiiie. :argh:

I'm having lots of fun but goddamn I am terrible at this game in every way possible.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I feel like 12v12 nerfed lights a lot

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Highblood posted:

Man I must really be terrible at this game, I don't know how people do it. When I watch people play a jenner it's all super intense crazy poo poo juking in the middle of every enemy player actually killing stuff and dealing 500+ damage by the end of the game and they survive.

Me: Can barely damage 1 guy alone, die to a million missiles or I just accidentally run into the entire enemy team trying to do the exact opposite of that and just die instantly.

I even tried scouting for my team but 1 guy saw me and then the entire enemy team just converged on my location because gently caress that single light he must diiiiiiiiiie. :argh:

I'm having lots of fun but goddamn I am terrible at this game in every way possible.

That about sums up my first 30 drops. I started running a Hunchback and hiding behind the heavies/assaults and would pop out to take potshots at others. Still not optimal but went from dying at first contact to getting 3-4 assists and around 300 damage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

KyloWinter posted:

12v12 hosed up more than just lights.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Highblood posted:

I haven't played in ages, but as a light pilot without ECM you have two jobs: Killing/harassing other lights and shooting assault butts so they turn around and let your team shoot their butts with real weapons. You can't do either job if you run way ahead of your blob and die.

If you've got ECM you can be a little gutsier and scout a bit, but mostly just as a way of figuring out which way their blob is going. Once you find that out and report it, you're more useful providing a bubble for your team until you find a good opportunity to do the other two jobs.

It also helps a ton once you learn the maps and get a feel for the common routes and when you should be coming into contact with the other team. Once you do that you can probably do some scouting even when you don't have ECM.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

KyloWinter posted:

Yes and no.

But mostly yes they did.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
It's going to be hilarious when Community Warfare arrives, considering they have stated that CW will be sectioned off from casual public play. An additional queue for their troubled queue game.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

Or they can ditch their halfassed group based Elo system that is obviously ridiculous to anyone who had ever played chess or any other Elo based tournament because you can't do Elo when you depend on your teammates who may be higher or lower ranked for whether or not you win (thus affecting your ranking). You can almost kind of do average Elo but then you have to control for who is in what class with which scores, and basically the Elo system is poorly implemented but it's something they delivered so even though it doesn't work they will cling to it like grim death.

Basically like everything else.

I've been thinking this exact thing for a while. The other major game that uses Elo for individuals on a team is LoL, and I've seen no end of complaining about matchmaking issues, especially for the low end and high end, but that's purely based on what I've seen complaints about, and I have no idea how objective that is. Interestingly, WoW used to use Elo for Arena PvP, but instead switch to TrueSkill, which IS designed to track individual performance as part of a team.

The point being, they just blanket copied other games without understanding wtf it really is and how it actually works. Par for the course for :pgi:.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

pixelbaron posted:

It's going to be hilarious when Community Warfare arrives, considering they have stated that CW will be sectioned off from casual public play. An additional queue for their troubled queue game.

i'm sure community warfare will coincide with the inevitable steam release

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

teepo posted:

They will be right at home with the biggest early access shitfest this side of Star Citizen.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

teepo posted:

Except they don't want a steam release because that would mean Steam would get a cut of their sweet sweet whalebux.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
So there's a few reasons why Elo is a lovely thing for this setting. The first is that Elo is designed for ranking, not matching. The whole system works by giving points if you beat dudes significantly higher rated than you, and taking points for being beaten by dudes lower than you. This works really well for, say, chess, where an IGM is expected to own a regular competitive player, and so an upset is meaningful.

It also works for team sports where a roster is expected to stay somewhat stable.

What it doesn't work for is matching people fairly. The reason for this is that two players of a roughly equal Elo should not have significant change if one wins or loses. Two Elo rated dudes at 1000 will only move by a small amount, maybe 1010 and 990. Further, though, if it's based on averaging, and that's the only way I assume they could do this, a team with an average Elo of say 1000 matched against another team of about 1000 will trend towards bringing every participant toward 1000. The top of the curve on red team will come down if blue wins, while the top on blue will remain unchanged (because each individual good player will be expected to beat the average). The bottom of red will stay the same, while the bottom of blue will only go up slightly (it's not an upset for an average dude to win in an averaged game).

The way it appears they've gotten around this is by setting matchmaking to gradually increase the difficulty you're being matched against, which is why goons will stomp for 4-5 games in a row, then get owned hard. Matchmaking is unable to come up with "fair" matches based on Elo or there would be no way to ever face new opponents, because in theory two 1000 ranked teams should win half the time against one another.

This is plain and simple a stupid way of trying to prevent the old problem where occasionally by chance a group would drop against tryhards who would roll them promptly.

Among the better solutions would be literally any ranking system based on individual statistics and not a win/loss system like Elo, because all it takes in the current meta is a single bad scrub in an assault to significantly impair a team's chances. Every time I drop in a Stalker instead of a Raven or Cicada or Jenner, I hurt my team and potentially wreck the Elo of good players.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

Except they don't want a steam release because that would mean Steam would get a cut of their sweet sweet whalebux.

Russ stated that a steam release is coming, but only when Community Warfare is ready. They don't want to bring in another wave of people who will sit around and wait for features to be finished.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Does it really matter? Every game mode is deathmatch blob mode. They might as well just remove conquest and assault entirely.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Any idea how long it takes PGI support to get back to you?

I figure they probably have a weekend backlog but I emailed them Friday and still haven't heard back.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Any idea how long it takes PGI support to get back to you?

I figure they probably have a weekend backlog but I emailed them Friday and still haven't heard back.

They claim they are still working through the backlog from IGP, but I think they just take a while in general.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Dramicus posted:

Russ stated that a steam release is coming, but only when Community Warfare is ready. They don't want to bring in another wave of people who will sit around and wait for features to be finished.

So is that Russ way of saying that a Steam release is not coming, cause it's tied to a feature that is already 2 years late but never further than 90 days away?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Hey man, they are totally going to make that December 21st deadline they set for themselves.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Gwaihir posted:

12v12 hosed up more than just lights.

I don't really mind 12v12 except on the older maps that clearly weren't intended for 12v12.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
People loving love to complain about Elo or equivalent matchmaker rating systems in group-based games but both LoL and Dota's rating systems will consistently sort people near their expected levels; there are umpteen instances of some pro making a smurf account and finding himself at or near his regular rating within a handful of games. For all the time you spend (perhaps justifiably) going :argh: my teaaaam :argh:, over a large enough sample size you will be a contributing factor to winning games until you reach a level were the typical player is on par with you.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system and it's possible that PGI has managed to gently caress up something even that basic.

Also gently caress 12v12. You know what will help bring down TTK? 50% more poo poo standing on either side of a chokepoint

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
12v12 can work, but you need maps balanced for it and some kind of map objectives to accomplish to give valid reasons to split up a force.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Highblood posted:

I have played MWO for like 100 hours and I'm still pretty terrible, fwiw. Basically think of each Jenner engagement as being two full alphas into the back of an assault that doesn't even know you exist, followed by running away, then try and stay alive to the end of the match. You'll crack 3-400 easy.

that said do need to elite out your Jenner to really make it the chicken-legged xwing it was born to be, but that takes many many hours so focus on being useful first.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Matchmaking systems like MWO's feel like a guaranteed kick in the junk. If you are a partial group, winning a few games always always seems to be followed by a series of hellgames. The other team will be laser focused tryhards yelling at each other on voice chat about DKP minuses or whatever, and you will have been given a lance of chimpanzees who steer and play primarily by banging rocks against a keyboard.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The game would actually be kind of fun if they took out the Clan mechs.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bubbacub posted:

The game would actually be kind of fun if they took out the Clannon-light IS mechs.

Clan mechs are superior in every way save for Dads and IS lights.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

sebmojo posted:

I have played MWO for like 100 hours and I'm still pretty terrible, fwiw. Basically think of each Jenner engagement as being two full alphas into the back of an assault that doesn't even know you exist, followed by running away, then try and stay alive to the end of the match. You'll crack 3-400 easy.

that said do need to elite out your Jenner to really make it the chicken-legged xwing it was born to be, but that takes many many hours so focus on being useful first.

You usually want to go for the back, but it's also occasionally worth dumping 60 points of damage into a leg or a particularly important arm. Crippling an assault's mobility usually means it can be isolated easily, and many players put ammo in the legs that is just waiting to be blown up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just want Solaris-esque FFA light and medium mech fights. That was the best poo poo in MW4M.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
So hey, I was inspired by the AC/10+AC/5 Direwolf fit to make this thing: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=04f91277d208d2fbba38208e2442b9a77e1ceb7a

Crit locked, ton locked, 15 damage from the AC's, but they don't explode like a gauss, plus they fire when you press the button. 30 shots. Other than that, it's a standard dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Might want to put one ton of AC5 ammo in each arm, in case you lose one early? Other than that and possible RoF/sync issues with the ACs, looks like it might be good to me.

Thinking of doing this when I buy myself a KFX-D. Don't really feel comfortable running streaks without a probe; streaks being neutered by a single one-ton piece of hardware is kind of bullshit IMO. :saddowns:

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 7, 2014

• Locked thread