Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

pseudorandom name posted:

pointer barriers should make it Just Work™ in multi-monitor configurations

That's what that action is called? "Pointer barriers"? I thought it was cursor hotspots or mouse ticklers or ... I hope the computer industry agrees on a common nomenclature for this stuff...

Does anyone know how to turn it off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

nah, it's called the hot corner

pointer barriers are an X feature where apps can declare horizontal or vertical lines on the screen that the mouse cursor can't be moved across from one or both directions

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

pseudorandom name posted:

nah, it's called the hot corner

pointer barriers are an X feature where apps can declare horizontal or vertical lines on the screen that the mouse cursor can't be moved across from one or both directions

this works pretty well, i added an extension to make the dock stick around like in OSX and it became like a wall to my mouse. funny part is u cant set which edge to have it on so it was a bit inconvenient

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

i see, you're intentionally conflating clang and Xcode to appeal to the GNU/Linux crowd by bringing up the bogeyman of "closed source"

clang is a pretty nice compiler, open source and also far better architected than anything GNU

clang is very nice, and the open source version is both useful and usable and other platforms

apple's clang is proprietary. they have a tree of their own patches. if i want to compile things against apple's sdk i need apple's proprietary compiler and its dumbfuck installation procedure and its separate licensing

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 7, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand2686.htm

lol unix 95, not even unix 98 lollllll

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/brand3602.htm

unix 03

(which is the latest, and the fact that it's been 11 years without a new SuS or unix ## certification should tell you how important your neckbeard unix purity is any more even tho apple apparently cares enough to keep going through the motions)

the fact that osx can pass unix certification without actually being worth a drat is proof of the worthlessness of the open group's specifications.

other horrible examples: sco openserver (aka opensewer) and compaq tru64 (the only thing that can touch osx performance)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

keep going

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the reason the open group specifications are dead is that commercial unix is dying

linux is the de facto standard for everything. solaris, hp-ux, and aix all have linux compatibility layers. there is no standards process because the standard is "do what linux does or else nobody's software works on your system"

back when unix had three major vendors, a dozen minor ones, and hundreds of small shops, the standards processes kinda/sorta mattered

every vendor wanted other guys software to work great on his system, while making his customers software hard to port out, so every standardization was this weird dance around the real issues. this is how we got non-standard "standards" where aix and sco opensewer can both pass the same certification suites but still be a nightmare to port between

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 7, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i'm cumming

ii oh el
Jan 9, 2007

Last Chance posted:

i'm cumming

i unironically enjoy reading bsd's rants.

unrelated, kde5 is a shitheap right now idk why i expected it to be anything else

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the reason the open group specifications are dead is that commercial unix is dying

linux is the de facto standard for everything. solaris, hp-ux, and aix all have linux compatibility layers. there is no standards process because the standard is "do what linux does or else nobody's software works on your system"

back when unix had three major vendors, a dozen minor ones, and hundreds of small shops, the standards processes kinda/sorta mattered

every vendor wanted other guys software to work great on his system, while making his customers software hard to port out, so every standardization was this weird dance around the real issues. this is how we got non-standard "standards" where aix and sco opensewer can both pass the same certification suites but still be a nightmare to port between

And when UNIX was alive, the process was "do what UNIX does". Please let me know what OpenGroup standard the KDGKBMODE ioctl comes from, yet it's in every popular UNIX (incompatibly so!) and Linux had to adopt it.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

read that as KRUNKMODE

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

ii oh el posted:

i unironically enjoy reading bsd's rants.

same, he's like the crazy old guy at the bus stop of yospos

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Captain Foo posted:

read that as KRUNKMODE

I do too. I still can't decipher any part of that name.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Forums Terrorist posted:

same, he's like the crazy old guy at the bus stop of yospos
i'll have to listen to the crazy old guy more carefully next time i take a bus. perhaps it'll turn out he too is just stating uncontroversial facts?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

well yeah didn't you hear, the government really was spying on us all along

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

And when UNIX was alive, the process was "do what UNIX does". Please let me know what OpenGroup standard the KDGKBMODE ioctl comes from, yet it's in every popular UNIX (incompatibly so!) and Linux had to adopt it.

yeah I think this is a SCO-ism. in the 80s and early 90s SCO dominated x86 UNIX, like 90% of the commercial market on PC-compatibles. it could conceivably have come from SysV x86 but most VT stuff comes from SCO

vttys (what you get when you hit alt f1, f2, f3, etc) are also a SCO thing

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i thought vttys were a plastic surgery thing

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the fact that osx can pass unix certification without actually being worth a drat is proof of the worthlessness of the open group's specifications.

other horrible examples: sco openserver (aka opensewer) and compaq tru64 (the only thing that can touch osx performance)

:allears:

your posts are like a swap storm of an idiot's idea of cutting remarks. whoops that ridiculous lie didn't work? nothing to see here, no room in core, evicted!

too bad all the witticisms in backing store are poo poo too. no forward progress is made, system is halted, fix with sledgehammer

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
for real though I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than an Apple fanboy reference the "certified unix!" thing as though it mattered

meanwhile all the not-linuxes (except OSX!) have linux-compatibility layers. OSX meanwhile has 9 year old versions of Bash because they're afraid someone might use their distribution of GPL3 software to attack their patents that are so vague they also cover 9 year old versions of Bash.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

ShadowHawk posted:

for real though I don't think I've ever heard anyone other than an Apple fanboy reference the "certified unix!" thing as though it mattered

meanwhile all the not-linuxes (except OSX!) have linux-compatibility layers. OSX meanwhile has 9 year old versions of Bash because they're afraid someone might use their distribution of GPL3 software to attack their patents that are so vague they also cover 9 year old versions of Bash.

they ship a version of zsh from this year, that's all I cares about

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

:allears:

your posts are like a swap storm of an idiot's idea of cutting remarks. whoops that ridiculous lie didn't work? nothing to see here, no room in core, evicted!

too bad all the witticisms in backing store are poo poo too. no forward progress is made, system is halted, fix with sledgehammer

i am pretty sure a sledgehammer is the only thing that could fix a man who believes SUS is a worthwhile standard

it's kind of a groucho marx thing: if osx and sco osr can both pass it, it's not a certification of anything important.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am pretty sure a sledgehammer is the only thing that could fix a man who believes SUS is a worthwhile standard

it's kind of a groucho marx thing: if osx and sco osr can both pass it, it's not a certification of anything important.

lol that u think i give a poo poo about sus

the point was that despite your lunacy osx is a more modern unix than irix. sus and unixYY are poo poo but nevertheless there's enough api coverage in the certs to definitively state that you are full of poo poo, you are going to have much worse problems making modern unix software run on irix than on os x

also just lol because last irix major release was in 1998 and sgi didn't even bother certifying it for unix98. it probably wouldn't have passed unix98 since it was already EOL bugfix only status

i know all this has to be trolling but jfc your trolling is so dumb step up ur game

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

ShadowHawk posted:

least of all since apple stopped giving a poo poo about the dedicated server market. who exactly is running unix software on os x, except a minority of people who just want a desktop linux that also runs non-unix software?

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Soricidus posted:

least of all since apple stopped giving a poo poo about the dedicated server market. who exactly is running unix software on os x, except a minority of people who just want a desktop linux that also runs non-unix software?

just find out how many people DL http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/ and you'd have your answer

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BobHoward posted:

system is halted, fix with sledgehammer

This is really, really satisfying, hope everyone gets to do it at least once

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

raruler posted:

just find out how many people DL http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/ and you'd have your answer

I use this for wireshark

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

also just lol because last irix major release was in 1998 and sgi didn't even bother certifying it for unix98. it probably wouldn't have passed unix98 since it was already EOL bugfix only status

yeah this should be a sign to you how bad osx is

a second rate vendor who stopped regularly updating their OS in 2003 still has a less broken, better performing kernel because it's not a bizarro 1980s fuckup

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a bizarro 1980s fuckup

mods.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah this should be a sign to you how bad osx is

a second rate vendor who stopped regularly updating their OS in 2003 still has a less broken, better performing kernel because it's not a bizarro 1980s fuckup

sure bsd stymie why don't you go hang out on nekochan with your compatriots

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah I think this is a SCO-ism. in the 80s and early 90s SCO dominated x86 UNIX, like 90% of the commercial market on PC-compatibles. it could conceivably have come from SysV x86 but most VT stuff comes from SCO

vttys (what you get when you hit alt f1, f2, f3, etc) are also a SCO thing

jstpierre@jstpierre-snappy ~/Source/sysvr4 $ grep -r KDGKBMODE
svr4/uts/i386/sys/kd.h:#define KDGKBMODE (KIOC|6) /* get keyboard translation mode */
svr4/uts/i386/io/char.c: case KDGKBMODE: {
svr4/uts/i386/io/char.c: case KDGKBMODE:

It's in sysvr4.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's fine, I'm sure you'll move the goalposts again by saying how SysVR4 was garbage and that the only true UNIX that was the poster child for standardization was IRIX or HP-UX.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

jstpierre@jstpierre-snappy ~/Source/sysvr4 $ grep -r KDGKBMODE
svr4/uts/i386/sys/kd.h:#define KDGKBMODE (KIOC|6) /* get keyboard translation mode */
svr4/uts/i386/io/char.c: case KDGKBMODE: {
svr4/uts/i386/io/char.c: case KDGKBMODE:

It's in sysvr4.

sysV wasn't ported to x86 until five? six? years after sco

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

That's fine, I'm sure you'll move the goalposts again by saying how SysVR4 was garbage and that the only true UNIX that was the poster child for standardization was IRIX or HP-UX.

nah svr4 changed the industry for the better and swept away lots of bad unix

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Yet still it adapted a completely unstandardized and undocumented API for compatibility with some other dominating OS.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
For reference, I got my sysvr4 dump from here:

https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2
https://ia601805.us.archive.org/29/items/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2/

I have no idea how old the system is or where the dumps were gotten from.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

For reference, I got my sysvr4 dump from here:

https://archive.org/details/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2
https://ia601805.us.archive.org/29/items/ATTUNIXSystemVRelease4Version2/

I have no idea how old the system is or where the dumps were gotten from.

svr2 is 1984 or 1985. i know there is code for x86 support in svr2, but i don't know of any vendors who actually sold an x86 svr2 distribution. maybe isc/interactive?

svr4 is early 90s, and it tastes like solaris. lots of x86 ports of this, some of which will still run in virtualbox/qemu. in fact i think the floppy images in this archive will probably work

the reason that sysV on x86 was not all that successful is sco

sco "xenix" (the microsoft port of sysIII to x86. yes system III, not to be confused with SysV R3) really had a death grip on the pc market in the 80s. they tried to keep up to date with sysV with limited success. it was not a very good unix.

for some reason you can still buy it

quote:

New Processor and Chip Set Support

* Intel® Pentium™ 4
* Intel Xeon™
* AMD Athlon™ XP
* AMD Athlon™ MP

New Integration Of Open Source Tools

* New Java JDK 1.3.1

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 7, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

solaris is poo poo, tcl/tk is poo poo, SunCC is double dog dare hypershit, working with all three every day is poo poo, kill me please

I received a bug report update yesterday that a Solaris 9 bug I logged about ELFCLASS32 was fixed :lol:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

I received a bug report update yesterday that a Solaris 9 bug I logged about ELFCLASS32 was fixed :lol:

solaris 9 is still supported

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MrMoo posted:

Every once in a while I will receive updates on bugs I filed 7+ years ago on various OSS projects. Sometimes they really do get fixed.

For certain projects with out-of-control bugtrackers (eg Gnome) though, it's far more common that component will be replaced and all the bugs will be closed as obsolete en masse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gently caress motif forever. no one misses that poo poo