Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Carry on my wayward son…

In 1983, Mary Winchester died. She left behind her sons, Sam and Dean, and her husband John. While normally tragic, it gets a little weird when you realize Mary died like this.

There’ll be peace when you are done…

Her death puts into motion 9 seasons worth of drama, and any attempt to summarize it in words would be futile. Sam and Dean are two huntin’ bros. They kill bad things and are truly hosed up in the head.

Lay your weary head to rest…

Major Players

Minor Players

Sheriff Jody Mills (Kim Rhodes) is a tough as nails police woman who has brought the boys in for assistance on a few rough cases. Notable for being one of very few women to have met these boys and survive. It helps that she hasn’t banged either of them, as they have poison dicks.

Charlie Bradbury (Felicia Day) is internet. She's literally the only other woman to survive the Winchesters and she’s a lesbian. Note the trend here. She’s currently in Oz with Dorothy (yes, that one, and yes really), but since she’s not dead it’s likely we’ll see her again.

Garth Fitzgerald IV (DJ Qualls) is a hunter. He’s also a werewolf. Since he can control it, Sam and Dean let Garth live, along with his lady love. He’s a valuable resource, and one the Winchesters use on a regular basis.

Don’t ya cry no more…

This year, all four leads have twitter accounts. Yes, Mark Sheppard has been bumped up to regular, so hopefully this means massive amounts of Crowley (there can never be too much).

Misha Collins updates most frequently. Oftentimes, he and Jared Padalecki will live tweet episodes. Mark Sheppard will sometimes live tweet episodes as well. Jensen Ackles is newest to twitter, but he’s got some great shots on set and behind the scenes. They’re all worth following.

GISHWHES - The Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen! Put on annually by Misha, it’s a record setting week of charity, fun, and intense silliness.

You can catch up on Supernatural on Amazon (every single episode), hulu (last few episodes), and Netflix (seasons 1-8, 9 will be up soon).

:siren: Supernatural’s 10th season starts Tuesday, October 7th at 9 PM EST :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ed Zeddmore
Dec 12, 2011

:h:love will turn you around:h:
Great OP! There's a special tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLlGQBAsKtI

And a little Q&A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeObhOJLQzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edL1uyF-9Q4

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I fell behind trying to catch up on the thousand or so episodes that existed before I started watching; still not through season 1, but I'm curious how their hands aren't just a web of scar tissue by now what with all the blood rituals and them having not met Castiel to heal them all up yet.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
At least SOME of the time they do cuts on the arms instead, which would lead to easier healing and less chance of loving up a tendon or something and making your hand not work no more.

I am so insanely jealous of my friend now though. He's going to get Crowley, Cas, Kevin and Chuck to autograph his Word of God tablet, and Death to autograph his cane, and Cain to autograph his first blade.

gently caress. I love him like a brother but god drat do I wanna crack him in the head with a sack of doorknobs and swipe his collection sometimes.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Am I making stuff up or did the boys get all their scars healed by ~magic~ at some point in the show?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EC posted:

Am I making stuff up or did the boys get all their scars healed by ~magic~ at some point in the show?

They got teleported by God when Lucifer came out so that may have healed stuff.

Plus all of the times they went to Hell and back and Purgatory and all of that too.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

EC posted:

It wouldn't surprise me.

Considering the number of times they've died and come back to life, it makes sense that they could have had their scars healed as well. After all, I could see the Trickster healing up Dean's scar tissue for being a good sport about killing him a hundred times.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Dean canonically lost his scars when he came back in season 4, so probably?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just discovered this show during the summer and binged my way thru the 8 seasons on Netflix, I managed to catch a few S9 episodes though.

Really fun show, surprised I had never really heard much about it.

I live near a bunch of the filming locations too, I walk my dogs regularly where they filmed the LARPing episode. I remember that section of the park closed off for it but I didn't really know about the show so it wasn't very exciting at the time. Now it's pretty weird going into New Westminster, most of the episodes set in cities involving urban decay are filmed there. Because it's a loving dump! Suck it New West! t:mad:

Anyway how is S9, worth tracking down the episodes I've missed or just wing it into S10?

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro
You should be fine just starting 10. They usually do a story so far montage at the beginning so you'd get the major points of 9.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CeeCee posted:

You should be fine just starting 10. They usually do a story so far montage at the beginning so you'd get the major points of 9.

Watch the finale as it includes this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umfoY09bklQ

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

The special was kind of fun to watch. Apparently all the notes Gary Cole's character gave in 'Hollywood Babylon' were actual notes Supernatural got from CW execs. So they cast loving Lumbergh as their super annoying boss who only exists to give notes, then killed him off.

Also Bobby Singer was supposed to have a different name, but legal vetoed it, so the writers thought it would be funny to name the character Bobby Singer. Robert Singer claimed he pushed back on it, thinking he would get blamed for naming a character after himself, because that's some bad fanfic 101 level poo poo. He claims he relented because he thought Bobby would just be a one episode character, but if he knew that Bobby would be such a big deal he would have pushed harder to rename him.

There was also some talk about The French Mistake where the Supernatural showrunners get killed, and there was some discussion that was pretty grim. But they decided that having fictional versions of themselves get killed was the way to go.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 7, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

priznat posted:

Anyway how is S9, worth tracking down the episodes I've missed or just wing it into S10?

They should be on Netflix today.

The episodes are fine but still sort of aimless (there's two different plots going down, one about angels and one about demons). Thankfully it seems that it'll be more concentrated in S10.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

computer parts posted:

They should be on Netflix today.

The episodes are fine but still sort of aimless (there's two different plots going down, one about angels and one about demons). Thankfully it seems that it'll be more concentrated in S10.

I'd say that 9 is probably the best of the 'post season 5' set

Crancherry
May 29, 2014

Pork Pro

priznat posted:

TNT is doing a 9 marathon which ends just as 10 begins, so you could at least catch the finale there. Or watch if you've got time, since there are some pretty good episodes in 9. But skip Bloodlines, cuz it's bad and you'll thank me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

CeeCee posted:

But skip Bloodlines, cuz it's bad and you'll thank me.

Yeah, this. And it's not endearingly bad or so bad it's good. It's just really, really bad. It's a failed backdoor pilot for a spinoff show with an incredibly lovely concept.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, this. And it's not endearingly bad or so bad it's good. It's just really, really bad. It's a failed backdoor pilot for a spinoff show with an incredibly lovely concept.

And because it was a pilot a bunch of plot threads are left dangling, so even if you enjoy premise the episode will be incredibly unsatisfying. Don't worry though, you won't enjoy the premise. So if you decide not to trust us and want to watch the show for yourself, feel free to turn it off at any point because nothing gets resolved by the end anyway.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Paradoxish posted:

I had a friend visiting when that episode aired and I thought I'd get them to watch it to see if they liked the show. I made a terrible mistake and I don't think that friend will ever think the same about me after I told him I liked this show, no matter how much I pleaded that the rest of the show isn't like that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Angela Christine posted:

And because it was a pilot a bunch of plot threads are left dangling, so even if you enjoy premise the episode will be incredibly unsatisfying. Don't worry though, you won't enjoy the premise. So if you decide not to trust us and want to watch the show for yourself, feel free to turn it off at any point because nothing gets resolved by the end anyway.

God. I almost never agree that the "worst" episode of a show is that bad. But Bloodlines is actually that bad. It's garbage. Eyebrows and poor exposition and smug faces from the first minute; gently caress that episode and the producers who encouraged me to watch it.

You can save yourself. It's August 5th, 1945, and you have a train ticket to Hiroshima. And we're urging you not to go.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
This is one of those times where I was so glad that I don't livewatch. I had the Bloodlines episode DVRed and because of (among other sources) this thread, I promptly deleted it and had not even thought of it since, until this conversation.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I recently watched The Racist Truck episode and Bloodlines is much, much worse.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

The Red Queen posted:

The Racist Truck is funny bad. And has Dean macking on a pretty lady. Bloodlines is just bad bad. And boring.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

The Red Queen posted:

TheRevTastic
Jan 15, 2012
I guess it's a good thing I don't even remember what Bloodlines was about. I can remember every other episode by name but not that one. Thank you based brain for putting that in the deep dark part of my mind that I do not venture to.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
They just started airing the Bloodlines episode on TNT as part of their marathon and I could not have changed the channel quicker.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

cool kids inc. posted:

The Racist Truck is funny bad. And has Dean macking on a pretty lady. Bloodlines is just bad bad. And boring.

I didn't start watching Supernatural live until around season six, so I caught the Racist Truck episode as part of my binge watch and it honestly didn't even stand out as particularly bad to me at the time. I mean, I get why people think it's pretty bad and it is, but it's not unwatchably awful in the same way as Bloodlines.

Rapt0rCharles9231
Oct 20, 2008
FYI Season 9 just hit Netflix a few minutes ago.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rapt0rCharles9231 posted:

FYI Season 9 just hit Netflix a few minutes ago.

Yay, now I can watch the Dog episode again!

(or the ghost one, for a less controversial option)

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I love the dog episode, if only for the mailman and pigeon scenes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Aww yeah :getin:

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Demon karaoke.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I would watch the hell out of Dean and Crowley: Demon Buddies.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Wow, The CGI in the scene with Sam in the shop was awful.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Hahaha, "We were wondering if you had hit another dog". Good ol' Crowley.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Seriously, who the gently caress is this guy? Should I know him from a previous season, because I don't recognize him.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Byers2142 posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress is this guy? Should I know him from a previous season, because I don't recognize him.

No it was mentioned that Dean needs to feed the mark with death or he goes into a murder rage. I'm guessing this guy is a survivor of his last one.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
cold dean, really cold...

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I was hoping Dean would suddenly be back up on the F.B.I.'s most wanted list after that video being released. Mostly because I want to see him take out an entire SWAT team by himself.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Officer Farva posted:

I was hoping Dean would suddenly be back up on the F.B.I.'s most wanted list after that video being released. Mostly because I want to see him take out an entire SWAT team by himself.

This would be an incredible :stonk: moment, especially if Deanmon has people-flinging powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

We've done extraordinary things to triplets, I will treasure our Flickr albums forever.

There is going to be a terrifying amount of fanfiction written around that line.