Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Rick_Hunter posted:

I happen to think he did a good job as Leeron in Gurren Lagann.

Okay that one I definitely didn't catch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RBA Starblade posted:

"I smellll darkspawwwn!" :byodood:

I picked whichever one it is that makes her say "Warden sense tingling!" which I didn't mind. What annoyed me though is why even give the option of choosing a voice if none of the dialogue is voiced? And why have everyone else's dialogue voiced but not the protagonist? Why? It's really jarring. Would it really have added so much to the production cost to have one male and one female voice actor do the player character's dialogue?

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Ryoshi posted:

Probably. I still think the good vastly outweighs the bad, though, it just makes the really egregious oversights stand out that much more.

I stopped off at the Tower to decode some engrams and pick up new bounties, then decided to play a different PvP game mode. Four more rounds, two each on Twilight Gap and Rusted Lands. I mean, that's ridiculous.

I liked Destiny for the ride it was but Bungie is completely out of their minds if they think people are going to play this for much longer. It lacks the customization/variety for lasting multiplayer pvp and for the mmo aspects there is a serious lack of content and basic quality of life mechanics that have been standard for a decade. The loot is also very lackluster with very very very few if any game changing gear that you have to grind up to buy.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be happy with basic community options.

I mean I joined the 360 goons and all I get is something that says old timey goons under my name, no way of communicating with them in-game, if I wanna do that I need to add all of them individually.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I picked whichever one it is that makes her say "Warden sense tingling!" which I didn't mind.
I always picked that voice too and it was hilarious how it also gave The Warden a permanent "I have a giant stick up my rear end" facial expression. Or maybe that was just normal for the elf player character.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Alteisen posted:

I'd be happy with basic community options.

I mean I joined the 360 goons and all I get is something that says old timey goons under my name, no way of communicating with them in-game, if I wanna do that I need to add all of them individually.

It's like they looked at Nintendo's online system and said "Yeah, that's the way to do it."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I picked whichever one it is that makes her say "Warden sense tingling!" which I didn't mind. What annoyed me though is why even give the option of choosing a voice if none of the dialogue is voiced? And why have everyone else's dialogue voiced but not the protagonist? Why? It's really jarring. Would it really have added so much to the production cost to have one male and one female voice actor do the player character's dialogue?

Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Can't have a voiced protagonist and a good multiple choice dialogue system without spending way to much money, except if you're Alpha Protocol for some reason.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Xoidanor posted:

Literally hundreds of thousands of dollars. Can't have a voiced protagonist and a good multiple choice dialogue system without spending way to much money, except if you're Alpha Protocol for some reason.
Every other character is voiced though. All the dialogue options you can choose result in context-appropriate, fully-voiced dialogue from whatever NPC(s) you're talking to. Obviously those don't all need to be unique, sometimes the same response will work either way, but compared with all that, how much extra is it to give the player character a voice?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That cracked me up about SW:TOR. There was a PCGamer UK article where Bioware reps were going on about how they saved 500k or so on the budget by reusing dialogue lines, but skimped over how much the entire budget was - reputedly around 200 million. :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

PJOmega posted:

Okay that one I definitely didn't catch.

How did you miss "Spike with stereotypical gay lisp"?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Lavender posted:

I can't let this slide. No matter how he disguises his voice, his "Blumness" cuts through and it's obvious. It's just everywhere.

I know it's just the way things have to be because there are only so many actors out there, but this kind of thing really does kind of pull me out of games sometimes. I think the worst so far was hearing Sadler in Resident Evil 4 and realizing that "Hey it's that dude who voices almost every man in Skyrim!"

And I can't hear the male player character in Destiny without thinking of Ghost in the Shell.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Is it just me, or is the mouth flapping in Alien: Isolation really bad? Some of the cutscenes give me crazy Godzilla vibes.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Celery Face posted:

Ever since someone mentioned that all of his voices sound the same, I can't unhear it. He's just got this weird gravelly thing in his voice that totally gives him away. But the main problem is that he's just in so many goddamn video games. I can think of a few voice actors who don't have much range (Cam Clarke, Barry Dennen, etc.) but at least they're not in every video game ever (they're still awesome though).

I was playing Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising the other day and there was a scene with Steve Blum talking to Steve Blum. I believe they might have been having a conversation about another character voiced by Steve Blum. I am being entirely serious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

El Cid posted:

I was playing Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising the other day and there was a scene with Steve Blum talking to Steve Blum. I believe they might have been having a conversation about another character voiced by Steve Blum. I am being entirely serious.

Yeah. He voices two space marine heroes and the chaos space marine guy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Which is a drat shame because I believe they even had Eliphas the Inheritor's original VA doing another character. Eliphas was really cool in Dark Crusade, but Blum just couldn't pull it off in Chaos Rising or Retribution.

Is Blum really an in demand voice actor, or does he just work for dirt cheap?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

He actually voices 4 characters in the campaign. There's an apothecary also voiced by him in conversations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Captain Lavender posted:

Steve Blum is a little thing that drags down about 90% of the games I play.

Steve Blum isn't as super-saturated as he used to be. Right now my personal TDTGD is Troy Baker. If he's the player character, that means roughly 100% of the time that the devs didn't give a hot wet poo poo about character or story, because out of all the voice actors they could have chose, they made the conscious decision to pick "default white guy". And it's not that the man can't act, he's great in Fullmetal Alchemist, but he is every single shooter PC now.

Like, Nolan North gets stick, but he's basically just Desmond and Drake, both significantly different characters. Troy Baker is The Grizzled Brown-Haired Five-O-Clock-Shadow White Guy voice.

poptart_fairy posted:

That cracked me up about SW:TOR. There was a PCGamer UK article where Bioware reps were going on about how they saved 500k or so on the budget by reusing dialogue lines, but skimped over how much the entire budget was - reputedly around 200 million. :v:

Now to be fair, voice acting represents a great deal of money sunk into a single element, and 500k could stretch pretty far over other aspects of development; and from a business perspective it's 500k less that they need to make to turn a profit, which is a lot of video game copies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

Right now my personal TDTGD is Troy Baker.
I played Saints Row 3 and 4 and then Bioshock Infinite and kept giggling to myself.

The effect doesn't seem to extend through to The Last of Us, which is probably just as well.

e: the real kicker is that the man himself couldn't possibly look any less like a grizzled shoot man.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Oct 7, 2014

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Captain Lavender posted:

Steve Blum is a little thing that drags down about 90% of the games I play.

His performance was great in Bulletstorm. :colbert:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sardonik posted:

He was pretty good in Shadows of the Damned too.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Sardonik posted:

Bulletstorm is the exception. He chewed on the scenery in that so well, even I was picking splinters out of my teeth. Also just found out that Grunt is Steve Blum too. :stare:

Who What Now posted:

He was pretty good in Shadows of the Damned too.
:stonk:

We could go on for hours about voice actors and them being typecast:

Phil LaMarr - typecast
Keith Szarabajka - typecast
John DiMaggio - typecast

But their voice is what makes them recognizable and marketable. As much as people want to think that VA work is acting-lite, it's pretty hard to flesh out a character with just your voice.

On topic: I'm about 3/4 through Sleeping Dogs and I wasn't getting enough Triad (Evil) XP, so I looked online to find people complaining about the lack of Triad XP in missions and that the only way you could get more is by replaying main story missions. Even then you only get a marginal increase because you're just overwriting your previous record. You can buy clothing that increases the XP gain during missions but the Triad XP is so finely tuned that you pretty much have to get a perfect Triad score for every mission to reach Level 10 and get the achievement.

Unless you buy the $2-3 DLC that will surely put you over level 10. :argh:

This is in stark contrast to the fact that the other 2 XP types in the game are given more than enough missions to fill them out. I finished both of the other ones by about halfway through the game.

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Oct 7, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Also am I weird or does motion blur in PC games always always always look awful? Like, nausea-inducing.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

DStecks posted:

Also am I weird or does motion blur in PC games always always always look awful? Like, nausea-inducing.

It's always the first thing I turn off personally. Dunno if the awfulness is limited to just PC games though since I don't own any consoles.

Then again I'm some sort of luddite who doesn't like a lot of modern graphics things, such as HDR and peripheral blurry vision.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

DStecks posted:

It varies for me. It looked good in Crysis 3 but always stuck out in Valve games.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I always turn motion blur off because it doesn't look that great to begin with and almost every time its tied to the camera movement so that's extra annoying.

I also turn off anti aliasing because having jagged edges doesn't bother me.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

El Cid posted:

Skyrim had a lot of those moments since only a few actors voice the different races in the game. It was probably most noticeable during a scene that had Keith Szarabajka (aka Dark Elf guy) simultaneously threatening and begging himself not to be killed.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I'm not being really fair to Steve Blum. I mean, I do think he lacks variation among his performances; but my real beef is just with "his voice". It's just in this perfect zone to put me in a bad mood every time I hear it. Nolan North, for example, I can always tell when it's him, but I like his voice, and among his characters that sound similar, I don't really feel like I'm hearing the same person each time.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I like motion blur, but it looks like poo poo if your framerate dips. I also like FoV effects and stuff like that, so maybe my opinion is invalid. Stuff like this is cool to me:

Daedo
May 5, 2002
To be fair to Troy Baker, his Joker voice was awesome in Arkham: Origins.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Speaking of Voice Actors talking to themselves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpRkT9JxdnE

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Daedo posted:

To be fair to Troy Baker, his Joker voice was awesome in Arkham: Origins.

Troy Baker's range is ridiculous and he's one of the few over-exposed VA's who isn't land-locked into a single role because of how well he can throw his voice around. As mentioned, dudes like Blum and North have a lot of variety too, but their main voice is so iconic that it tends to be the only one in demand.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

Troy Baker's range is ridiculous and he's one of the few over-exposed VA's who isn't land-locked into a single role because of how well he can throw his voice around. As mentioned, dudes like Blum and North have a lot of variety too, but their main voice is so iconic that it tends to be the only one in demand.

Yeah, he wasn't really recognizable as Joel in TLoU either (and another great example of a typecast actor having range is Nolan North's David in that game. Holy poo poo was he different than the norm.)

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, he wasn't really recognizable as Joel in TLoU either (and another great example of a typecast actor having range is Nolan North's David in that game. Holy poo poo was he different than the norm.)

Nolan North was also unrecognizable as the Penguin in Arkham City. But confirmation bias is a hell of a thing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Nolan North was in The Last of Us, and while if you listen carefully you can tell that it's Nolan North, he does pretty well playing someone totally different to what he's normally typecast as. Bonus points for having both Nolan North and Troy Baker in the same game, but never actually giving them dialogue together.

I finished playing inFamous: Second Son, and it was a pretty good game (with Troy Baker doing a pretty good job of playing a... Native American graffiti artist?). The thing dragging it down is that the main story missions, while generally pretty good, are few and far-between, and the sidemissions mostly just feel like padding, as compared to the second game where they had a bit of variety to them. The game tries to make up for it, I think, by making the sidemission part of taking down the bad guy bases all over town an open problem that doesn't force a single approach, but it makes it all feel a bit samey, since neither of your eventual sidekicks ever feel like helping out with it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

but it makes it all feel a bit samey, since neither of your eventual sidekicks ever feel like helping out with it.

Yeah this disappointed a friend who liked the game a lot. Those two needed more screen time (besides the fun prequel expansion about one of them.)

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mokinokaro posted:

The only voice I think Troy Baker doesn't do well is the generic high fantasy/british accent. His Lyndon from Diablo 3 and Pagan Min in Far Cry 4 sound exactly the same.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Mar 31, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mokinokaro posted:

In the Expiration Date TF2 short, Nolan North subbed in for Grant Goodeve and did the whole Engineer part, and subbed in for one single line of the Soldier's dialog, and I can't figure out which one it is because he did it so well.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
I know it's a divisive game, but Nolan North's voice work in Dota2 is really good as well, none of the characters he plays sound anything like each other and are all really fun to play as just because of how good their voice lines are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Holy poo poo, I had no idea Troy Baker was in so much until just now. I knew about FFXIII and Persona 4 but apparently he's in like half a dozen games that I've really enjoyed and I never even realized it.

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

I liked Destiny for the ride it was but Bungie is completely out of their minds if they think people are going to play this for much longer. It lacks the customization/variety for lasting multiplayer pvp and for the mmo aspects there is a serious lack of content and basic quality of life mechanics that have been standard for a decade. The loot is also very lackluster with very very very few if any game changing gear that you have to grind up to buy.

I totally 100% do not understand this mindset. I mean, I've never been a hardcore FPS kind of guy but I buy basically every other CoD and Battlefield game and end up playing them online for a million hours even though I'm terrible. I can see that the content in Destiny is kinda lacking on the story front so far but there's more on the horizon already and what's already there is still more varied than basically every other modern FPS single-player stuff. And the PvP has a few issues, sure, but it's still a blast.

Speaking of issues, I really like the inventory system the game uses but hate how it handles the start of a match. Shotguns and sniper rifles are both "special weapons" so you can only have one equipped at a time, and you start a match with extremely limited special weapon ammo. On top of that, switching special weapons mid-round just blows a bunch of your ammo away (to prevent people from swapping between low- and long-range guns all the time and wrecking balance). So when a match finally gets underway and you're shown the title of the map, there's a good chance that you're going to want to swap out what you have equipped before it starts so you don't eat the ammo loss. Good luck, though, the game inexplicably punts you out of the inventory screen basically every two seconds on the three screens between knowing where you're playing and actually getting to do anything. It wouldn't even be a big deal except you can open the inventory and swap your gear out literally any other time in the game without any issues.