Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there anything specific to Arkham Origins it isn't on the wiki. I have played both Asylum and City to completion when they came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Blast Fantasto posted:

Is there anything specific to Arkham Origins it isn't on the wiki. I have played both Asylum and City to completion when they came out.

There are set of challenges to do in the main game. They have to be done sequentially, and they unlock various abilities (as well as XP). The combat and the exploration challenges are fairly straightforward but the predator ones are hosed.

If you want to do them in one playthrough, use a guide.

Several of the challenges can only be done in a handful of locations, and if you miss them you'll delay the whole lot and have to wait until much later and NG+.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

theshim posted:

I have both of The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing and I'm thinking of playing a bit. Should I bother with the first? Anything I should know?

It's fairly easy so it's not mandatory to know anything. Focus on AE damage, almost all enemies come in groups.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anything I should know for The Banner Saga? I'm going in pretty much blind, so any tips as to the tactical combat, conserving resources or navigating the story would be helpful. No spoilers obviously, but it would be nice to know if this is the kind of game where dialogue choices lead to different content, can actively punish the player or just don't make any difference at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Anything I should know for The Banner Saga? I'm going in pretty much blind, so any tips as to the tactical combat, conserving resources or navigating the story would be helpful. No spoilers obviously, but it would be nice to know if this is the kind of game where dialogue choices lead to different content, can actively punish the player or just don't make any difference at all.

Choices will arbitrarily kill party members. Sometimes they're obvious (like lighting a forest on fire that Varl, known pyrophobes, are fighting in) but in one instance you'll get bit in the rear end almost near the end of the game. Understand this before going in that this is a game where people die and there's no real way to savescum it. The game rewards pragmatic choices and punishes indecisiveness so play the game like how you think a person leading a band of superstitious exiles being chased by a never ending army of faceless marauders would act.

As for the battle system, the crappy I-go-you-go system encourages you to split damage evenly across all enemies. The fewer enemies there are, the more an individual enemy will get to act before your next party member. Because HP = strength you can whittle away all the enemies in one round then finish them off the next as they do no harm to you.

For example, imagine you have 6 characters labeled A-F and the enemy has A1 and A2. The turn order would look like...

A
A1
B
A2
C
A1
D
A2
E
A1
F
A2
Repeat

So it takes 11 turns for one of your characters to act again but only 4 for the enemy. If you're not careful, an enemy could isolate a character and just wail on them. Using the above example, A1 and A2 would get three attacks each before A can even act again and that will get you killed in this game.

In short, combat is the least interesting thing. Set the game to easy and forget about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Assuming you are playing on easy, there's no real reason to upgrade a character beyond level 3; that's plenty to handle any fight, and at any rate, very few characters are safe from unpredictable plot death, so you don't want to dump a bunch of money on a dude only to have him die offscreen forever. Upgrading past 3 gets expensive, save your money for supplies.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Anything for Wolfenstein: The New Order I oughta now?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

The Dark Id posted:

It's literally impossible to miss anything. Collectables carry over, and while the game branches at the end of the first chapter, you can go to chapter select at any time and swap between the timelines if you want.

If you're having trouble with a perk, don't sweat it. They're not massive changes to the gameplay, and usually an opportunity to unlock it will show up after you've stopped trying to force it.

Make sure you sleep at the bed on the top floor of the hideout.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Dark Id posted:

The only real difference is whether you get a bonus to health or a bonus to armor based off a choice at the end of the Prologue. Choose Fergus rather than Wyatt, because you'll get a better side-character later.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Also, stealth is great in the game, but don't forget to go all-out-balls-to-the-wall-dual-wielding double shotguns once in a while. It plays like an old school fps in the best possible way so just have fun, it's really really good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

al-azad posted:

Choices will arbitrarily kill party members. Sometimes they're obvious (like lighting a forest on fire that Varl, known pyrophobes, are fighting in) but in one instance you'll get bit in the rear end almost near the end of the game. Understand this before going in that this is a game where people die and there's no real way to savescum it. The game rewards pragmatic choices and punishes indecisiveness so play the game like how you think a person leading a band of superstitious exiles being chased by a never ending army of faceless marauders would act.

As for the battle system, the crappy I-go-you-go system encourages you to split damage evenly across all enemies. The fewer enemies there are, the more an individual enemy will get to act before your next party member. Because HP = strength you can whittle away all the enemies in one round then finish them off the next as they do no harm to you.

For example, imagine you have 6 characters labeled A-F and the enemy has A1 and A2. The turn order would look like...

A
A1
B
A2
C
A1
D
A2
E
A1
F
A2
Repeat

So it takes 11 turns for one of your characters to act again but only 4 for the enemy. If you're not careful, an enemy could isolate a character and just wail on them. Using the above example, A1 and A2 would get three attacks each before A can even act again and that will get you killed in this game.

In short, combat is the least interesting thing. Set the game to easy and forget about it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Assuming you are playing on easy, there's no real reason to upgrade a character beyond level 3; that's plenty to handle any fight, and at any rate, very few characters are safe from unpredictable plot death, so you don't want to dump a bunch of money on a dude only to have him die offscreen forever. Upgrading past 3 gets expensive, save your money for supplies.

Thanks, I was already halfway towards figuring out the turn-based system. Spreading damage around instead of killing targets is a little unintuitive, but at least I can plan tactics accordingly. The sudden character deaths make it sound like the devs are big fans of Game of Thrones. I'll try not to get too attached to anyone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The game is also obviously inspired by Oregon Trail which would kill your dudes off at the drop of a hat. But you can't ever gimp yourself. Even at the end of the game I had 3-4 dudes in reserve.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

One last question - can party members actually die in battle or do they just fall unconscious? I've had one die, just to turn up later (Alette), but I'm not sure if that's plot armor or what.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

One last question - can party members actually die in battle or do they just fall unconscious? I've had one die, just to turn up later (Alette), but I'm not sure if that's plot armor or what.

Only story will permanently kill a character. If they fall in battle they're just fine (easy) or have a strength penalty until they rest a few days.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

The Banner Saga
The game will give you a lot of party members but you don't have to worry about leveling all of them. There's never a point where you'll have to field more than a standard sized team or have two battles going simultaneously or anything like that.

The first time I played I gimped myself unnecessarily by trying to get every character in my group up to at least level 2 or 3, thinking there might be some payoff later, but there never was. There's simply not enough renown to be able to do that. Concentrate on getting your main fighters up to level 5 instead. You'll want to keep a small number of characters in reserve leveled up, in case one of your primary fighters dies in the story, but don't feel bad leaving most of your roster at level 1.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The topic of GFWL came up in the 'things dragging this game down' thread, which reminded me of a question I'm going to ask here, for lack of a better place:

What should I know before buying Viva Piñata for the first time (for PC)? Will it even still work? Is there some sort of patch I'd need to get or something?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FredMSloniker posted:

The topic of GFWL came up in the 'things dragging this game down' thread, which reminded me of a question I'm going to ask here, for lack of a better place:

What should I know before buying Viva Piñata for the first time (for PC)? Will it even still work? Is there some sort of patch I'd need to get or something?

Viva Pinata is a great game. (Although there's a sequel on 360 not on PC which adds a lot)

Personally I always saw it as more of a single player game so I don't think GWFL will cause you any issues. GWFL is technically still running anyways, after all the anger on the internet Microsoft pretended like they were never taking it down in the first place (Although that didn't stop dozens of developers from patching it out of their games anyways, because gently caress GWFL)

I'm at work now though so I'll have to try the game when I get home to make sure, but it should work fine.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

FredMSloniker posted:

See if you can get a mod to make the shop dudes shut the gently caress up. Scrolling through the list makes them make a noise every time, and you WILL get tired of hearing "hup! huuaah! mmmmg! hrrrrgh!"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Pinata's are asexual beings that reproduce sexually and have no qualms about coupling parent to child.

Go nuts.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Games for windows live can suck my loving dick. Nothing like buyer's regret after getting a cool game on steam and finding out that it has videogame cancer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There are set of challenges to do in the main game. They have to be done sequentially, and they unlock various abilities (as well as XP). The combat and the exploration challenges are fairly straightforward but the predator ones are hosed.

If you want to do them in one playthrough, use a guide.

Several of the challenges can only be done in a handful of locations, and if you miss them you'll delay the whole lot and have to wait until much later and NG+.

Wow, that sounds like a goddamn mess compared to the first game where you could do that poo poo anytime :raise:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Wow, that sounds like a goddamn mess compared to the first game where you could do that poo poo anytime :raise:
The thing is, you should be able to do them anytime, but they're so arcane and multi-staged that there are only two or three predator rooms in the whole game that have the right mix of environmental objects to actually complete them.

Which is actually even dumber.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Well, if the predator rooms' dudes respawned like they did in previous installments, none of this would be an issue.

Also, re BioShock Infinite

beforeIplay.com posted:

At some point a few hours into the game you'll start picking up keys and lockpicks. They fit something in the level you are on, and you may have to backtrack a fairly long way to find it. You can always return to the appropriate section of the level, as long as you don't advance beyond plot doors.

What constitutes a "level"? If it's a "plot door" then this is false. There are multiple keys that open stuff beyond plot doors. Also, you can backtrack through plot doors, so that's also wrong.

There are a few times when you can't backtrack, but Elizabeth specifically tells you when that is, so it's hard to miss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BrewingTea posted:

There are a few times when you can't backtrack, but Elizabeth specifically tells you when that is, so it's hard to miss.

You just answered your own question with this.

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You just answered your own question with this.

It was a rhetorical question. I wasted a bunch of time avoiding going through any doors with a prompt because that's what the tip said, and I was hoping to save others the same frustration.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Talk to me about Endless Legend. I'm at least somewhat familiar with 4Xs, especially GalCiv 2 and Civ 4.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Poison Mushroom posted:

Talk to me about Endless Legend. I'm at least somewhat familiar with 4Xs, especially GalCiv 2 and Civ 4.

There are a couple of things that make it a bit different that immediately spring to mind. The first is that you can't just place cities wherever you want. The world is split up into large areas and when you settle a city in one you take control of the entire area. This also means it's the only city you can have there so make sure you pick a good spot.

Hero units can be assigned to either a city as a governor or as an army leader and can switch between the two but there's a turn limit on how often they can switch. If you want to automate what a city produces you'll need a governor.

The factions all have some unique things that affect their gameplay. The broken lords, being haunted armour, don't need food but rather consume a lot of Dust. The roving clans can up and move their cities on the backs of massive beetles and resettle elsewhere if you find a better spot, they also get a cut of all deals that happen on the market. Wild walkers can "sense" enemy units in adjacent territories to your own even if you have no sight of that part of the world. There are a series of focus videos on youtube that go over them quite well here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXj4Gg_7ygPZAuUJ6xnfSFdpyZjT6SBK7

Battles also go a bit differently but I need to head off so I might write something a bit later on them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just got done with The Last of Us and would like to say: the Armor Piercing weapon upgrade is expensive and doesn't seem necessary, but eventually I was kicking myself for not getting it on at least one gun.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Anyone know the google search string for this thread, so I can find all mentions of a certain title? I have search upgrade but it doesn't seem to work well. Much appreciated.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

lady blue shanghai posted:

Anyone know the google search string for this thread, so I can find all mentions of a certain title? I have search upgrade but it doesn't seem to work well. Much appreciated.

GhostBoy posted:

The google search trick is shown on the front page of beforeiplay wiki, reproduced here: site:forums.somethingawful.com intitle:"What Should I Know" "Game Name Here"

Replace "What should I know" with some unique part of title of the thread you want to search.

That one?

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou

Yeah, oops. I even looked at the wiki and somehow missed that. :downs:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Mario Kart 8?

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

PJOmega posted:

Mario Kart 8?

Three important things: Hold A to accelerate, play the game with your friends and don't take it too seriously. The rest you'll figure out naturally on your own.

Oh and you'll get a boost at the start of the race if you start holding A down at the right moment, which is about at the time when the countdown reaches 2. The better your timing, the more powerful the boost will be. Your kart will explode if you start holding A down too early. I don't remember if the game ever actually bothers to explain this.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Demon Souls? I've played Dark Souls 1 and 2 but the second is proving surprisingly challenging.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Demon Souls? I've played Dark Souls 1 and 2 but the second is proving surprisingly challenging.
Haven't played it in years, but here's some stuff I remember:

The game doesn't use the same structure as DkS, you have a central hub level (the Nexus) from which you can access the five discrete "levels" of the game, each of which are subdivided into several different sections unlocked by beating bosses. You don't have to play every level in order and in fact you can't progress all the way through the first level until you beat a boss later on in the game.

Definitely use a guide for weapon upgrades, some of the upgrade paths are really esoteric compared to Dark Souls 1 and 2. The blacksmith who can do these upgrades is found at the bottom of a lift in the second world.

While you're in phantom form (equivalent to hollowing in DkS), your max health is cut in half, but you find a ring early on in the first level that increases it to 75%.

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 11, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Any killer tips or things to avoid in Shadow of Mordor?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

al-azad posted:

Don't be afraid to die. This will create a Nemesis for you.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ddraig posted:

Don't be afraid to die. This will create a Nemesis for you.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

Pretty much, yeah. Don't fret about anything - all your unlockables are on the map, all achievements are gained from stuff you can easily do in-game, and the game itself encourages you to just gently caress about and do things at your own pace.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Is there anything really useful to know going into the Game of Thrones RPG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

-Forge at the towers for fast travel.

-Normal orcs can still be interrogated -- they will only reveal unidentified commanders, though.

-Each area tells you which plants grow for your gathering side quest.

-Get used to the parry system (it's Batman), and the dodge system. Harder enemies cannot be parried so you'll get the dodge prompt for those.

-Grab the talent that lets you explode campsites, it'll rack up easy kill and you can lure enemies/commanders to them. You cannot damage yourself in them.

-You can toggle Detective Mode while aiming with your bow.

-There's a Kill 100 Orcs in a coliseum side quest, you may want to hold off on this until you get some runes that siphon/restore life when conditions are met.

-When commanders are fleeing or when they are weakened (their outline will turn green) you can grab them.

-If you see places with 3 Elf-Arrows next to each other, this typically means to use your bow.

-Some world locations require you to squeeze between objects in order to get to objectives.

Hope that helps!