Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It's easy. Get in there and give us some mods!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
My understanding is that, graphics and sounds notwithstanding, it's largely handled by XML and perhaps some Lua scripting.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Demiurge4 posted:

How easy is modding in this game? I'm kind of disappointed about the lack of big mods/modpacks that change more than a handful of things. Like there's all kinds of mods that add cool things but what I want is themed mods I can just get in one download that gives me everything :( Might try and do it myself as a project on my weekends.

It's all done in C#. Download Visual Studio Express and open the assembly / unity engine DLL's. You can even download a quick little .sln file to make it simple. I'm working on creating migrant waves, where based on your town's worth and friendliness with colonies you'll get migrants. Then I realized I'd have to balance it with more pirates and poo poo.

You can do more basic non-source hacking with Lua and XML editting though.

deebo
Jan 21, 2004

My 70 year old lady called snotface who had double cataracts.. things just kinda went from there...

deebo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 7, 2014

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Is there any way to specify mod precedence? I noticed that extended surgery mod breaks the zombie apocalypse mod for whatever reason.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

deebo posted:

My 70 year old lady called snotface who had double cataracts.. things just kinda went from there...

I did the same to my little old lady! Mecha-nanna! :3:

She was a techophile though and got a very nice mood buff from it.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

deebo posted:

oh wow, so they are exploratory tunnels to do things like find the steam geyser for your generator?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
And sometimes rare minerals, or you can discover a hidden valley that makes a nice defensive position. I tend to play almost exclusively out in the open, and make digging out a mega base in the mountainside my "Let's see how ridiculous I can run this poo poo into the ground" project.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's not possible to dig downwards, is it?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tias posted:

It's not possible to dig downwards, is it?

Z-levels aren't a thing, no :( I'm not sure if its planned though, when DF did it it kinda came out of the left field for me with a whole lotta "whoa!"

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Stele007 posted:

The accuracy in this game is pretty silly sometimes. This colonist with a 13 skill in shooting and no impairments is unable to hit a stationary turtle in shock that is literally a foot away. I gave up after 10 bursts or so and just had her grab the snake that she killed while trying to kill the turtle.

If you select your shooting colonist then hover over the tortoise it gives you a little breakdown of chance to hit based on target size, cover, weapon, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Z-levels aren't a thing, no :( I'm not sure if its planned though, when DF did it it kinda came out of the left field for me with a whole lotta "whoa!"

So far as I know it's explicitly not planned as it would add a new layer of complexity to the game.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday I followed that link in the menu to Tynan's blog. This one.

I have to say, this dude blew my mind a bit. Some of that stuff on the first page, but really at the bottom there.. that post about The Simulation Dream. I was just skimming and I found myself reading the whole thing.. continually thinking 'yeah, that's exactly right'.

Rimworld being as good as it is isn't a mistake, you can read as he goes into (at times perhaps excessive) detail about his processes and thoughts. Quoting design decisions from Ultima Online was always going to win points with me but as he goes into detail on the concept of apophneia I have to appreciate his perspective.

His prototyping logic in development, don't spend time polishing just get new ideas in, quick and dirty and see how they fly.. keep doing that until you hit something that is obviously good.. seems to make a lot of sense.

Glad to give my $30 to this guy.

edit: ha gently caress, I've never even considered writing a mod but I have the skills and background.. he kinda makes me wanna try it for Rimworld :)

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 7, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

While I've done some light modding before, you can add a lot of simple things to rimworld pretty quickly with very little foreknowledge.

You can add plenty of gameplay changes just by modifying the xml files to add new things for people to use, new things you can build, new things you can craft, and you can play with costs and skill limitations to add whatever progression you want.

If you've got an idea for a mod, go for it.

I wish my damned copy of photoshop worked properly so I could do more of it myself.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Tony Montana posted:

I have to say, this dude blew my mind a bit. Some of that stuff on the first page, but really at the bottom there.. that post about The Simulation Dream. I was just skimming and I found myself reading the whole thing.. continually thinking 'yeah, that's exactly right'.

Rimworld being as good as it is isn't a mistake, you can read as he goes into (at times perhaps excessive) detail about his processes and thoughts. Quoting design decisions from Ultima Online was always going to win points with me but as he goes into detail on the concept of apophneia I have to appreciate his perspective.

His prototyping logic in development, don't spend time polishing just get new ideas in, quick and dirty and see how they fly.. keep doing that until you hit something that is obviously good.. seems to make a lot of sense.

edit: ha gently caress, I've never even considered writing a mod but I have the skills and background.. he kinda makes me wanna try it for Rimworld :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

You might be surprised how much of the games industry, even in big studios, follows a similar philosophy. The iteration often happens in ways that aren't externally visible.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Yeah, content stuff is extremely easy as you can copy chunks out of the Core folder in /Mods/. Make sure you keep the base classes, as they don't get referenced between the files very often. For \Defs\ThingDefs\Weapons_Guns.xml the base classes are BaseGun, BaseHumanGun and BaseBullet - delete everything else and add your custom stuff as you please.

I've spent the morning creating some custom embrasures and bean-bag turrets to deal with mechanoids (they have high piercing resist, but much lower crushing resist) as I try to figure out the system.

Bionics are probably the most complicated content to modify at the moment, as you have to create the items, the health effects and the operations (humanoid and recipe classes). They're also very, very easy to make unbalanced. Cumulative thirty percent work rate improvements are nothing to be sniffed at.

Making system changes such as how turrets explode or making weapons require ammunition is a lot trickier and would probably require DLLs, but if you just want to add new items, materials and recipes it's a very friendly system.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Does anyone have a list of melee weapons? The wiki only lists ranged stuff and I'm curious. This is what I've seen so far.

Wood Chunk- Crush Damage 8
Shiv- Pierce Damage 8
Knife- ?
Short Sword- ?
Club- Crush Damage 14

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Leif. posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development

You might be surprised how much of the games industry, even in big studios, follows a similar philosophy. The iteration often happens in ways that aren't externally visible.

Mm, yeah, now you say it I remember having this drilled into me back in Uni in like 2001.

I liked his stuff about apophneia though.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Does anyone have a list of melee weapons? The wiki only lists ranged stuff and I'm curious. This is what I've seen so far.

Wood Chunk- Crush Damage 8
Shiv- Pierce Damage 8
Knife- ?
Short Sword- ?
Club- Crush Damage 14

Are you counting prosthetics if so:
Claw hand -??
Scyther Knife Protusion -pierce 16?

Also next update it's all gonna change:

changelog posted:

Melee weapons can now be made of stuff. Reworked stats system and added melee damage and agility stuff stat factors.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

If you select your shooting colonist then hover over the tortoise it gives you a little breakdown of chance to hit based on target size, cover, weapon, etc.

Oh, thanks, I had no idea. I'm guessing turtles have some insane cover bonuses, especially when prone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stele007 posted:

Oh, thanks, I had no idea. I'm guessing turtles have some insane cover bonuses, especially when prone.

Turtles are small, so they are hard to hit, and they also have a strong natural resistance to bullets and blades so about 50% of your shots won't do anything.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Stele007 posted:

The hover only shows chance% to hit like so:

The main reason turtles take ages to kill is the have natural resistance, if you select one and click the info tab it shows this:

50% Piercing resist and 30% blunt.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah tortoises are annoying as hell, especially if they're the target of an all animals driven crazy event.

For weapon damage list, spears do 15 piercing. I'm kind of surprised at how nice melee is in this alpha. I've taken to positioning a few melee guys behind a corner at the tunnel that feeds in to my valley, anyone that manages to make it through the sniper fire just eats clubs or spears.

Hoping throwing weapons see a nice buff and increased variety in the future. Some form of AI check that will stop guys from throwing grenades at the one brawler that ran up to the rifle nest would be welcome.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 7, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That tech tree minami mod is pretty crazy, in both good and bad ways. Good because it adds more progression, bad because you have a ton of intermediary crafting steps. To make a lamp you have to craft light bulbs :downs:

One thing I'd really like right now is to be able to equip my guys with both a tool and a weapon. That would be nice.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I wish colonists wouldn't be such huge loving babies. Oh you are depressed because you had to defend yourself? I'm sorry maybe gently caress off pussy.

The game needs a "order colonist to sleep" button so the mental breaks will stop isntead of depressed idiots standing there doing the thing they hate over and over.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Sylink posted:

I wish colonists wouldn't be such huge loving babies. Oh you are depressed because you had to defend yourself? I'm sorry maybe gently caress off pussy.

The game needs a "order colonist to sleep" button so the mental breaks will stop isntead of depressed idiots standing there doing the thing they hate over and over.

You sound like a lot of fun to be marooned with on a hostile planet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Look, start with some hard bitten colonists, only take in those that are sanguine, optimistic and not Too Smart, neurotic, etc. and use the rest as "organ donors."

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
There is no way to create plasteel on your own, is there?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Tony Montana posted:

Dude, do it! We could use more mods made by competent, smart individuals! Find something you think would be good to add to the game, even if it's superfluous, like additional types of items within the context of what exists (like more lights, beds, turrets, walls, to name a few that're already done but could serve as an example of easy first mods to do) and get it done! Hell, Goons could help out with brainstorming, too. It doesn't have to be all a lonesome effort.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

You sound like a lot of fun to be marooned with on a hostile planet.

I understand they might be upset but I don't think reacting to a situation by running into a horde of enemies to die is a solution most people would use even if they were stressed out.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I gave this guy $30.

I have no clue what I'm doing.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

IAmTheRad posted:

I gave this guy $30.

I have no clue what I'm doing.

Capture natives, harvest organs, sell them to traders, buy bionic parts. Create a town of bionic superhumans.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tias posted:

There is no way to create plasteel on your own, is there?

You can mine raw plasteel chunks, but the only use I've found for it is as a trade good and making very strong walls if you're short of stone for some reason.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You can mine raw plasteel chunks, but the only use I've found for it is as a trade good and making very strong walls if you're short of stone for some reason.

Plasteel is still somewhat flammable though. I use it with the surgery mod to build bionic superpeople.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

That and ship parts.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
One of my colonists in a game of Rimworld I played yesterday was named Douglas "Black" Black, last name shown as his tag, who was a Winger (the rugby position). Guess who showed up as one of the buyable slaves in my current game? I freed him because he ruled last game. Poor guy, I dunno what happened to him between that game and this one, but I'm just glad he's in a better place with us, on a successful colony. I even captured my first sieger!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
I'm beginning to think some things are seeded. I just had a (now zombiefied) Norman Osbourne, Scientist. He had the nervous attribute.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
They are.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
My entire colony died as a battery next to my dorm exploded because it got rained on. Only because the shelter wasn't done building yet and it started to rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

My entire colony died as a battery next to my dorm exploded because it got rained on. Only because the shelter wasn't done building yet and it started to rain.

A general piece of advice is not to put anything flammable or explosive near the dormitory. Also try to put the dormitory under a mountain when possible.