Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It's a stupid solution to a problem that could easily, easily be solved by putting an actual police officer or a speed camera nearby on a regular basis. Much like distracted driving... a plainclothes officer could sit on any corner downtown and flag cars, and the officer writing the ticket would only have to stop after developing carpal tunnel syndrome from writing so many tickets. We obviously just don't want our laws enforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Uthor posted:

That's so weird. The road I used to take to work has a series of "speed humps" that I would take at 30-35 mph in my car (suspension would start to bottom out around 40), along with most everyone else in a car. The people in the trucks and SUVs were the ones slowing down to 10 mph to go over them. And the old people, of course.

There's a bunch of really low profile speed humps near my hosue, the kind that go up maybe 6 inches over the course of 5 feet. People take these so slow I can pass them when I'm riding a bicycle.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I was sitting at red light on Saturday in Kirkland when I had a guy back out from across the road and back straight into my car. When I got out of the car to check the damage, I look up and see the guy driving away. Luckily I got the license plate from several witnesses. I know the road he was on was a one-way, so I got back in my car, drove around the block and caught up with him.

I flagged him down and got out of my car asking him why he thought it was OK to not only hit my car, but to drive away as well. He told me he did not see me. I asked him if he looked out his rear view mirror at all or if he noticed that I was laying on my horn when he was backing into me. He told me he didn't hear my horn. At this point I asked him for some information while I took pictures of his license plate, and car. He only provided me with a name and phone number.

I wasn't getting anywhere with this guy so I leave and go home where I then call the police to report the incident. There was very minimal damage to my car (advantage of driving a car built with steel), but I felt due process was needed. I was more pissed about the fact that he thought he could take off after hitting someone than the damage itself. If he stayed and apologized, it would have been no problem and I wouldn't be writing this post. After talking with the police, they told me they won't do anything because it was not a hit and run since I tracked down and caught the guy myself.

Very frustrating and these are the people that I share the road with.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How the gently caress can people just not notice it when they back into a thing? I tapped a cement post when I was learning to drive stick at well under walking speed (it turns out I was on a slight hill), and I immediately noticed and went out to see if there was any damage (nope -- not even a scratch). I can't fathom backing into a car and just driving away.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PT6A posted:

How the gently caress can people just not notice it when they back into a thing? I tapped a cement post when I was learning to drive stick at well under walking speed (it turns out I was on a slight hill), and I immediately noticed and went out to see if there was any damage (nope -- not even a scratch). I can't fathom backing into a car and just driving away.

My friend's mom backed into a Geo Metro in her '77 blazer (lifted on 35s). She thought the transmission was acting funny because all of a sudden the truck was way down on power. No, actually, it was your truck caving in the side of that car that's too low and narrow to see out of the mirrors, then pushing it sideways out of its parking spot. We flagged her down as she was driving out of the parking lot and let her know. She was suitably embarassed. Total damage was a 1.5' dent into the door of the car with the trailer hitch, which was the only thing on the Blazer that showed any sign of damage. There was also a bit of paint transfer on one side of the bumper. She left a note, and the owner's insurance contacted her later.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The thing that pissed me off most about the speedbumps around my gf's building wasn't that they were outrageously severe, it was that everybody, everybodywent WOT on the other side of them instead of gliding relatively silently though the lot. The bumps were spaced about every 50yds and there were 3 of them, it was a constant *vrooom* *thump thump* *vrooom* *thump thump* morning noon and night. You started to recognise the neighbors and their schedule, their car's maintenance schedule, and hell even their current attitude by their exhaust note.

The speed bumps did nothing to curb speeding, if anything people sped up even faster between them. If I'd lived there myself, I'm sure I would have found myself out there with a pickaxe taking the drat things out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PT6A posted:

The real problem with speedbumps is they only matter if you're driving a car, and one that you give half a gently caress about at that. Yeah, I'm going to slow right down to go over it; the woman in the crossover behind me is going to nearly rear-end me and honk because she sees no problem with cruising over it at speed. The guy in the F-150 is just going to ignore the loving thing like it isn't even there.
Not twice. Hitting a good hump square-on in a leaf-sprung pickup, particularly an unladen one, is loving painful.

Renault Clio worked well for me. Soft French suspension, didn't care aboout the car, just hit the fuckers at 30+.

Best speedhumps I've encountered were in Japan. Series of 3 long, smooth humps with a smooth transition between them. No harsh battering of the suspension, but unsettling to try and drive over quickly.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My street is over half a mile long and nothing but houses, many with kids, opposite a park, one street over from a primary school. Despite being absolutely resolutely a 30 zone, and that being too fast by half when there are cars either side and kids about, even people from this street think it's okay to go over 70. I wish we had speed bumps or a camera.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 6, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

My street is over half a mile long and nothing but houses, many with kids, opposite a park, one street over from a primary school. Despite being absolutely resolutely a 30 zone, and that being too fast by half when there are cars either side and kids about, even people from this street think it's okay to go over 70. I wish we had speed bumps or a camera.

Don't you live in the UK? Set up a camera, send the footage to the police, they'll probably knight you for putting another camera on public roads.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

InitialDave posted:

Not twice. Hitting a good hump square-on in a leaf-sprung pickup, particularly an unladen one, is loving painful.

Renault Clio worked well for me. Soft French suspension, didn't care aboout the car, just hit the fuckers at 30+.

Best speedhumps I've encountered were in Japan. Series of 3 long, smooth humps with a smooth transition between them. No harsh battering of the suspension, but unsettling to try and drive over quickly.

Try doing it in a lifted TJ. The suspension angles are not friendly on 4" of lift. The Jeep could take it, my back can't.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Couple of days ago, I see a car backing out of a parking space. With a kid standing behind it about to get hit.

I laid on the horn. Kid realized he was about to get hit and moved. Guy jumped out of the car when I parked, got in my face, and said "hey fuckface, there's kids around here, why don't you slow the gently caress down?".

"You were about to hit a kid, that's why I laid on the horn.. fuckface"

"No I wasn't" Got back in his car, floored it leaving the parking lot, and nearly hit several other kids and parents. I'd guess he hit at least 40 MPH in the lot (easy to do, it's a huge lot that serves 3 large warehouse-style buildings).

This was in front of a business that mostly serves as a venue for kids birthday parties.

I was doing about 5 mph in a parking lot that has 15 mph signs posted, because I know there's always kids around. And I wasn't the one about to hit a kid. I loving hate people. I probably shouldn't have returned the "fuckface", but goddamn, check your blind spots fuckface.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 6, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Don't you live in the UK? Set up a camera, send the footage to the police, they'll probably knight you for putting another camera on public roads.

I've complained to the council a couple of times, unfortunately until there a real incident (read: some kid gets killed) they won't do anything. I honestly don't give a poo poo if you want to speed where only you will get hurt, or where it's honestly safe to do so, but drag racing part a school and park? Not on.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Cakefool posted:

until there a real incident (read: some kid gets killed) they won't do anything.

You know what must be done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When there exists an organization that actually implements safety protocols before a horrible accident takes place, this universe is doomed because the whole thing's gonna implode from the shock.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

You know what must be done.
There's a great Ogri strip where he fills an inflatable sex doll with butcher's leftovers, dresses it up, and pushes it - with a pram (also filled with offal and blood) - into the path of an inattentive speeding driver. :laugh:

xzzy posted:

When there exists an organization that actually implements safety protocols before a horrible accident takes place, this universe is doomed because the whole thing's gonna implode from the shock.
You know drat well they'd gently caress it up completely.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Why the gently caress do some hospitals put speed bumps only in the ambulance bay? One hospital in particular, Mountain Vista, has three gnarly ones only on the path that only ambulances take through their lot.

Yes, the truck that's sole purpose is to transport sick, broken people (and also to be loaded down with their families, flight crews, or just the fat, FAT patient themselves) needs to be shaken side to side violently in the middle of a turn.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

There's a great Ogri strip where he fills an inflatable sex doll with butcher's leftovers, dresses it up, and pushes it - with a pram (also filled with offal and blood) - into the path of an inattentive speeding driver. :laugh:
British comedy really needs to get reined in a few notches.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
With regards to speedbump chat, aren't they a huge pain in the rear end/dangerous to emergency vehicles traveling at speed?

EDIT: Beaten a wee bit I guess!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's bumps spaced so wide vehicles like ambulances (and the wife's multipla) just sail over them.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
With the biggest bumps, the rear tires of the ambulance start up the bump before the front tires have even fully come off. Those are my favorite. My least favorite, like the ones that hospital I mentioned has, are like one foot wide and [feel like they are] seven inches tall. It's like driving over a loving curb, but three times in succession. Two of them are spaced such that the rear axle has yet to travel over the first bump right as the front axle hits the second bump. It's loving chaotic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was in Germany eons ago, the guy I was staying with took me out in the WWII era jeep-like Audi his dad owned. His neighborhood had those long platform speedbumps, it'd bump up 3-4 inches, be two feet of pavement, then go back down. He'd take these bumps at full speed, which caused a ridiculous amount of see-saw action as the spongy suspension struggled to absorb the bump.

It was overall pretty smooth other than being in fear the thing was going to summersault on the downslope.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

This seems to be the motto and mantra of the people we share the roads with.

The other night I was at a stop sign when a guy on a bike road through the intersection. Running a stop sign on a bicycle at night in black clothes with no lights or reflectors. When I told the guy he did something stupid all he said was "No I didn't."

Got that poo poo on camera, too.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Dark gray colored car driving around without headlights on at night. Saw no less than 5 drivers flash their lights at this fool. He loving disappeared behind me at a stop sign. Oh, and he turns onto a freeway on ramp without headlights on.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Solar Coaster posted:

...After talking with the police, they told me they won't do anything because it was not a hit and run since I tracked down and caught the guy myself.

Wait, what? That's the loving *definition* of hit and run. Leaving the scene of a loving accident. It doesn't matter if it's you or the cops that run him down afterwards, if he leaves the scene it's a hit and run. :wtf:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

Wait, what? That's the loving *definition* of hit and run. Leaving the scene of a loving accident. It doesn't matter if it's you or the cops that run him down afterwards, if he leaves the scene it's a hit and run. :wtf:

It's like the police don't give any fucks about traffic accidents when nobody is injured and it didn't literally happen in front of them so they can issue a ticket :ms:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geoj posted:

It's like the police don't give any fucks about traffic accidents when nobody is injured and it didn't literally happen in front of them so they can issue a ticket :ms:

Yeah this is the new normal. Sucks when the other guy invariably will tell his insurance company he was rear ended.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Police departments are almost totally revenue-driven at this point.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Is it just me, or are people with Chrysler vehicles the most likely to be assholes?

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

Is it just me, or are people with Chrysler vehicles the most likely to be assholes?

I carpool with a Chrysler driver, but she used to be a sales rep so that probably skews the numbers a bit. All sales reps drive like assholes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

revmoo posted:

Police departments are almost totally revenue-driven at this point.

If that's true they need to hire me as a consultant because I could point out a couple dozen spots where they could write tickets until their fingers cramped, yet there never seems to be police there.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

Cops around here are useless. Because I wasn't driving a Ferrari in Kirkland, they don't care. It's like a few months ago, when my 2nd story apartment got shot up by a stray bullet. It ricocheted all over my living room before landing under the kitchen table. It was a big ask just to get the cops to come over and investigate it; you know, doing their supposed jobs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Solar Coaster posted:

Cops around here are useless. Because I wasn't driving a Ferrari in Kirkland, they don't care. It's like a few months ago, when my 2nd story apartment got shot up by a stray bullet. It ricocheted all over my living room before landing under the kitchen table. It was a big ask just to get the cops to come over and investigate it.

What the gently caress? Here that'd be front page news with the block locked down and the cops running down the tickets of everyone who jumped bail that month.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What the gently caress?

Oh yea. Woke up one morning to find a bunch of drywall on the floor of my living room. Bullet entered right above my sliding glass door; through the wall, ricocheted off the ceiling, hit the center of my bookcase, then hit the floorboard, and a chair leg before coming to rest right next to my dog's water dish. This happened when we were asleep in the next room. Cops showed up, asked a few questions, looked at the damage and told me to contact my landlord.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

BMW and Lexus SUV drivers, actually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This appears to be complete random chance:

Some normal looking mom was driving, the "PV" plates is "prevent violence" so there's no tie in there. I guess this family just got a lucky roll of the dice and pulled a number that every kid types into their calculator and snickers at.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Solar Coaster posted:

Cops around here are useless. Because I wasn't driving a Ferrari in Kirkland, they don't care. It's like a few months ago, when my 2nd story apartment got shot up by a stray bullet. It ricocheted all over my living room before landing under the kitchen table. It was a big ask just to get the cops to come over and investigate it; you know, doing their supposed jobs.

When I was living in Chicago my car was stolen. Reported it, got a "oh, we'll enter everything when we get back to the station". Some tow yard pulled it out of an apartment building a few days later, contacted me and I went and recovered it. Gave a call to the police to tell them that, and was told "oh, it hasn't been entered into the system yet. I'll put it in my notes and take care of it".

Cut to three weeks later, when I'm driving my newly repaired car again. Come out from work again, and it's missing, again. Walk to the police station down the block to report it stolen, the desk sergeant looks it up and says "Yep, it's stolen alright. Last month, right?"

I'd been driving a stolen car for a month. Thank you, Chicago PD.

Though the officer that helped me recover the car a second time did teach me how to hotwire a 90s era GM coupe. So that was cool.

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Witnessed an accident today at work.
5 way light controlled junction on a main road with no turning lanes or markings whatsoever so people don't know how to navigate it when they want to turn left across traffic (UK), often they'll just sit in the middle, facing people who want to turn left from the other lane, whereas you SHOULD really pass behind people on this junction.
Anyway, today a dude on a scooter nearly came face to face with a passat waiting in the middle, he slammed on his brakes and lost control, sliding to a stop a couple of meters in front of the passat. Dude was ok despite not wearing protective clothes, but he was on the floor for a while.

When people rushed over to help him, a newish Renault Megane tried to squeeze past just as one of the concerned pedestrians lifted the scooter by the handlebars, twisting the throttle and sending the scooter flying into the passenger door of the passing Megane.

The best part is that the guy who launched the bike at the other car quickly hopped back in his van and disappeared.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Geoj posted:

At one shop I worked, we had some completely hammered guy stagger in wanting to borrow a jack and some tools. He was so drunk, he had managed to ram his car into a curb while driving in a straight line, and blew out a tire and probably did a bunch of other damage. Obviously, we loaned him nothing, he staggered off very angrily back to his car, which we could see mounting the curb across the street. My manager calls the police to report a very drunk driver, and eventually they came out.

Unfortunately, all they did was help the guy arrange a tow. When one of the cops came over to us, he said his hands were tied since nobody actually saw him driving. I just hope the drunk took only himself out in the inevitable accident, and not anyone else.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Flint Ironstag posted:

Unfortunately, all they did was help the guy arrange a tow. When one of the cops came over to us, he said his hands were tied since nobody actually saw him driving. I just hope the drunk took only himself out in the inevitable accident, and not anyone else.

They can't just...deduce it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

PaganGoatPants posted:

They can't just...deduce it?

I think it is a legal thing. No actual proof that he was they guy behind the wheel, even though everyone knows it, including the police.