Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
drat, I just had a great moment in Shadows of Mordor. In the game you can collect artifacts which house memories, which are just little worldbuilding things.

I found one which was a note from a human slave to her lover, saying how she misses him and wishes to be with him.

I then found, shortly thereafter, another artifact from the slave's partner, Hirgon, the ranger you meet who fled with the outcasts. It's his reading primer he would keep to teach people stuff when he had the time. The memory is him teaching his lover how to read the words "be my wife."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Ho-Lee poo poo, you guys. Shadows of Mordor.

I was never a big batman fan and the Arkam games felt.. buh.. to me. This has a very similar fighting mechanic but it just feels better with a sword than with fists. I guess I like killing Uruks more than knocking criminals out. The best part about this game though is when you're hunting down a nobody captain, a new guy who sucks, and then there's like 2 or 3 other captains there and they ALL suck. It's great to knock down a few pegs all at once.

Know what DOESN'T rule? Going after a nobody and having that one captain who has power 20 (you know the one) call you out like, "Hey rear end in a top hat, having fun? Not anymore."

But then I run and laugh and circle a big rock, stealth killing the train of Uruks walking around looking for me in a straight line. Is good fun. Then I die because Mr. The Crazy hits like a train. Then I cry and my fun is over. 10/10

Edit: I could barely stop playing to write this. The 'Best little thing' if you couldn't tell is that this game will beat the poo poo out of you, but you keep coming back because at least 75% of the time, YOU are beating the poo poo out of IT. There's no boring parts, there's no slough to something new. It's fun without being too GTA-y. Too.. do what you want. And it's not too hard, it's not even unfair. Everytime I died, it was because I risked dying on purpose. "Hey, maybe I'll kill that smug son-of-a-bitch this time. oops, nope."

The best little thing is I didn't get bored of it immediately and it's randomly generated (the captains) enough so that in the back of my head, I know that other players will have different stories than I. It's fun, and that's a big thing for me. I'm the kind of guy who puts a game down 2 days into it because I "get it and its just a lot of the same thing"

Arx Monolith has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Oct 7, 2014

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Yeah I'm gonna hop on the Mordor lovetrain too. It's great.

Played for about 2 hours today, killed some captain called Dharg The Mountain. 10 minutes later I'm interrupting some Uruk slave train and loving up some other captain, when goddamn Dharg butts in to get his revenge, taunting me about how I "thought he was dead". So, I beat him down again. 15 minutes later I'm out just killing some random orcs, and who shows up again? My new friend, pissed off and planning to pay me back for his new scars. Another beatdown. 30 minutes later I'm doing a Power mission where I interrupt some captain's event, and I'm sneaking around behind a tent, hiding in a bush. Guess who strolls up to me, super pissed? So now I'm fighting 2 captains, and a bunch of underlings, but I still give Dharg another beatdown. He falls to his knees and it zooms in on him and he just says "The Mountain...crumbles." and I buried my sword in his face. I hope he's dead for good because drat, that's a great way to finish that "story".

So yeah, play this game, destroy mountains.

edit : fixed names

RubberLuffy has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Oct 7, 2014

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

There's something hilariously amazing about an orc with the name The Mountain constantly coming back to kill you after you thought he was dead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RubberLuffy posted:

Yeah I'm gonna hop on the Mordor lovetrain too. It's great.

Played for about 2 hours today, killed some captain called Dharg The Mountain. 10 minutes later I'm interrupting some Uruk slave train and loving up some other captain, when goddamn Dharg butts in to get his revenge, taunting me about how I "thought he was dead". So, I beat him down again. 15 minutes later I'm out just killing some random orcs, and who shows up again? My new friend, pissed off and planning to pay me back for his new scars. Another beatdown. 30 minutes later I'm doing a Power mission where I interrupt some captain's event, and I'm sneaking around behind a tent, hiding in a bush. Guess who strolls up to me, super pissed? So now I'm fighting 2 captains, and a bunch of underlings, but I still give Dharg another beatdown. He falls to his knees and it zooms in on him and he just says "The Mountain...crumbles." and I buried my sword in his face. I hope he's dead for good because drat, that's a great way to finish that "story".

So yeah, play this game, destroy mountains.

edit : fixed names

Orcs ain't dead unless you decapitate them/blow up their head, so The Mountain will eventually rise again.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I met an orc with the last name "the poet" and everything he said rhymed and the subtitles were written in stanza.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I just reposted this in the Mordor thread but i have to post it here too. The double charge skill is awesome.

http://youtu.be/-LFUNlVZWww

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Smelly posted:

I just reposted this in the Mordor thread but i have to post it here too. The double charge skill is awesome.

http://youtu.be/-LFUNlVZWww

jesus that's the first time i've seen gameplay and :stare: that meets my criteria for "brutal"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chard posted:

jesus that's the first time i've seen gameplay and :stare: that meets my criteria for "brutal"

There's actually a type of kill you can do called Brutalize where you just go loving crazy with a knife on the guy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Aphrodite posted:

There's actually a type of kill you can do called Brutalize where you just go loving crazy with a knife on the guy.

So loving crazy that it actually scares the poo poo out of the Orcs i.e. the completely evil monsters who live only for war. They see you tenderizing a guy and just immediately book it.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

In Super Smash bros. 3DS, if you do a smash attack on the Starman Assist trophy you'll get the accompanying SmaaaAAASH sfx from Earthbound too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The alien in Aliens:Isolation is loving ridiculous and I love its, adapting to my hiding strats, it also keeps loving with me in the most glorious of ways.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

RubberLuffy posted:

Dharg The Mountain.

My re-occuring gentleman was a spear throwing nobody who killed me early on, and got the Title, "The Puny". He got scars, then he got a bag over his face with holes for eyes and mouth (or bandages or whatever). I must have killed him 10 times at least. He wasn't even a threat. He'd show up when I was getting my rear end handed to me, but I still had time to show him the meaning of pain.

Kinda sad he doesn't show up anymore. :(

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Orcs ain't dead unless you decapitate them/blow up their head, so The Mountain will eventually rise again.

And even that's not always enough. I ran into an orc named Gluk the Beheader, who I decapitated for maximum dramatic irony. Cue Gluk popping back up twenty minutes later with a massive set of scars along his head and neck. It reminded me of what I overheard some orcs saying once: "If that ranger cut my head off, I'd just keep fighting. Don't need a head to fight."

One thing I love about this game is how organically it generates stories. You do battle against an orc captain, and if you meet him again, he'll remember and be changed by it. If he killed you he might be a little cockier, if you killed him he'll be appropriately mangled based on the manner of death. It's all just so drat good.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I love how unapologetically video game-y the entire Nemesis system is. It shows that you don't need to try and emulate movies. You put in a solid system with enough variation that it creates a massive number of compelling, unique encounters that feel very personal to the player. To anyone on the fence or uninterested in the game/LOTR, know that all the really cool revenge stories being posted in this thread and in the game's thread are JUST the Nemesis system doing what it does. None of it is scripted.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
With the new expansion of World of Warcraft coming out, there's a rush to get stuff before it's gone or relegated to "legacy achievements." Among these are proving grounds, single-player scenarios based on tank, healer, or dps roles that demonstrate basic stuff you have to do, which I forgot about shortly after their release. The healer scenarios have you take care of a group of a tank and three dps npcs and deal with standard stuff like dispelling debuffs and burst damage.

Anyone who's played WoW knows that the idiot who stands in the fire is the bane of any healer. A wave came up that had an enemy that places fire on the grounds. A few seconds later, one of the npcs yells at a hunter npc for standing in the fire, who dumbly responds almost like he was waking up from a nap.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

In Super Smash Brothers' various incarnations, when you paus the game in the middle of the match, the camera zooms in on the character who's player paused, and you can rotate the camera around a bit to get different angles and such.

In Smash 4, when you do that, your character's low-res gameplay model is replaced with the higher resolution model used to make that character's trophy, so your screenshots look nice.

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Oct 7, 2014

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I love the fact that when Little Mac ring outs an opponent, a big KO appears on his stat bar.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My favourite thing in Shadows was when I first got died to some random grunt 5 minutes into the game and he gets named "the legend". I just knew in that moment that I had to get him all the way to the top. :allears:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
In SSB4, so uh, that thing that happened in the final fight of classic mode on 7 intensity. That was unexpected.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing a bit of Prototype 2 on the side and I'd forgotten how hilariously cartoonish the antagonist group became.

Prototype 1: Blackwatch are elite biohazard teams with intelligent, calculated scientists methodically experimenting and dissecting everything.

Prototype 2: Blackwatch are idiotic chucklefucks that talk about sleeping with infected zombies, and have scientists that demand "don't bring back any more fatties, they won't fit in the containment tubes".

The franchise realized it shouldn't take itself so seriously and the end result is wonderful. :allears:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Please play Prototype 2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

scarycave posted:

In SSB4, so uh, that thing that happened in the final fight of classic mode on 7 intensity. That was unexpected.

Oh yeah, that thing is pretty... something I guess. It's legit hard on 7 and I've seen people try it on 10 intensity and it's nearly impossible to beat there, having like 4 final forms for your secret final boss is a bit too much. I almost screamed when it lifted Final Destination into those orbs up there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

scarycave posted:

Spoilers for those of us who don't have the game?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

poptart_fairy posted:

Prototype 2: Blackwatch are idiotic chucklefucks that talk about sleeping with infected zombies, and have scientists that demand "don't bring back any more fatties, they won't fit in the containment tubes".

Don't forget the guy who sends out a requisition form for new orphans because all the old ones have cancer.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Len posted:

Spoilers for those of us who don't have the game?

You start fighting Crazy and Master Hand, for some reason, Master Hand died after four-five hits then crazy hand went Zalgo.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

scarycave posted:

You start fighting Crazy and Master Hand, for some reason, Master Hand died after four-five hits then crazy hand went Zalgo.

EDIT: gently caress it, I'll youtube it

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

scarycave posted:

Why are you spoilering a fighting game? Who cares about the story? You might as well spoiler Street Fighter.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

The Missing Link posted:

Why are you spoilering a fighting game? Who cares about the story? You might as well spoiler Street Fighter.

Guile kills Ryu

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Missing Link posted:

Why is he spoiler tagging a special unique thing that happens in a video game that came out less than a week ago? Gee I wonder

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

scarycave posted:

It's a neat surprise, but the Sword Form can go gently caress itself.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

CJacobs posted:

Please play Prototype 2.

Heller: I'm at the computer, what do I press?

NPC: First you need to —

Heller: I'm pressing the red button. poo poo. Now the screen's all hosed up.

NPC: Okay, press the alternate key. "A.L.T." Alternate —

Heller: Alt? There's no loving alt. I got a loving squiggly line key, I got a loving key with a triangle on it — what the gently caress kind of keyboard is this anyway?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

poptart_fairy posted:

Playing a bit of Prototype 2 on the side and I'd forgotten how hilariously cartoonish the antagonist group became.

Every post I have in this thread seems to be about F.E.A.R., but goddammit...

Ironically this is what ruined the F.E.A.R. series' storyline for me. The first has you fighting through Armacham strongholds and offices, ultimately discovering a secret research facility built in a bunker underground to contain Alma. Along the way you find telephone messages from researchers, random employees and corporate executives arguing about how to deal with the situations leading up to the game. It's very mundane and organic and makes it feel like they're just your run-of-the-mill unscrupulous government defense contractor, struggling to run damage control for it's employees who blundered backwards into some freaky paranormal poo poo.

The sequel elevates Armacham into what is essentially the Umbrella Corporation. They own entire hospitals that are really secret research labs under Freeport to create super soldiers, secretly control the local elementary school because it's really secret research labs under Freeport to create super pyschics and have you struggling to reach a secret research lab under Freeport made to create super human psychics as the final goal of the game. It's very lazy and uninspired after creating what was, ironically, a very human company in the original game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could say the same thing about Prototype 2. The first game clearly positioned Blacklight as a line of absolute last resort- they do horrible things because the alternative is lethal pandemic and the end of civilization. The second game makes them so ridiculously, cartoonishly evil that they make the Captain Planet rogues' gallery look like ASPCA volunteers. It's more fun sometimes but it's less horror and much lighter than the first game.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

haveblue posted:

You could say the same thing about Prototype 2. The first game clearly positioned Blacklight as a line of absolute last resort- they do horrible things because the alternative is lethal pandemic and the end of civilization. The second game makes them so ridiculously, cartoonishly evil that they make the Captain Planet rogues' gallery look like ASPCA volunteers. It's more fun sometimes but it's less horror and much lighter than the first game.

prototype 2 is one of my fav mindless sandlot games. you can get so overpowered (especially with colossal mayhem pack) that it just becomes what style of killing people would you most enjoy. i enjoy absorbing people by pulling them apart over my head. and the power slam off a skyscraper and then body surfing their corpse is great

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

My favourite thing in Shadows was when I first got died to some random grunt 5 minutes into the game and he gets named "the legend". I just knew in that moment that I had to get him all the way to the top. :allears:

Which is a fun thing to do, too. Help him in duels and ambushes. Be his little guardian angel (of stabbity death).

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Arx Monolith posted:

Which is a fun thing to do, too. Help him in duels and ambushes. Be his little guardian angel (of stabbity death).

I had a captain dominated who had a duel against a guy vulnerable to stealth. Lucky for me their duel was on a bridge. I climbed up the side of the bridge and pulled the opposing captain over. It was simple but awesome. I also like to get a captain down into the green and toss him over a ledge. The slow motion death camera of the ragdoll sailing through the air is hilarious every single time.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There's an achievement for dying an orc, grooming him to become Warchief and then murdering him on the spot. Revenge is cold. :black101:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Online Smash Bros. 4 has a non-competitive setting. That means it doesn't record wins, or losses meaning people won't shut their game off on you and you won't constantly be fighting super competitive people *cough* *cough* X and Y.

Also, playing as Duck Hunt and using his laugh taunt online is really satisfying.
Heck, his laugh taunt is just pretty satisfying in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

My favorite Uruk captain so far was Bishgūr the Brain Damaged. Too crazy to talk.

His pre-fight smack talk consisted of an intense concentration face, a dawning realization and rapid teeth-chattering.