Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm currently binging through My Name is Earl while working. Again, for me it's mostly having it on while I do work. Unfortunately, I am just about through season 2 of Earl, which means I'm coming up on the prison season, which from what I remember isn't that good. However, the first two seasons really are pretty funny and there are a lot of good gags in it. I will forever love that Earl can never keep his eyes open during a picture.

I must be on a Greg Garcia kick because before I started watching Earl, I binged through Raising Hope. I actually hadn't watched most of it when it aired (I watched most of the first season and some other episodes), but it really is a pretty cute show plus Martha Plimpton and Garrett Dillahunt just knock it right out of the park. I'll have to watch the 4th and final season whenever it gets put up on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I binged through Orange is The New Black, thanks to Netflix just continuing to play episodes without even telling me I had finished Season 1 or anything.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Metal Loaf posted:

I've finished with Hornblower this evening. I regret that there was not more of it; in some respects, it was perhaps ahead of its time, and I imagine it could have slotted in easily enough on one of the big "prestige" drama channels like HBO or Showtime if it had kicked off a few years later. Even stuff like Sherlock is a kind a precedent for it.

That being said, although it would be nice if Gruffudd got his wish to continue the series and pick up where he left off, it would probably feel a bit strange with the cast all a decade older than we left them.

I got the Subspecies box set as a gift the other day, so I'm going to watch camp vampire B-movies next. :haw: Not sure what television series I'd like to try next. Might re-watch something.

If you liked Hornblower then I would strongly recommend watching Sharpe. Apart from the the few episodes done in the 2000s it is, by and large, better than Hornblower. Same period, same style of programme but focussed on the army instead of the RN. And it stars a young Sean Bean.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw one episode of Sharpe and it was terrible. It had Padma Lakshmi (from Top Chef) as some evil Indian princess.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

If you liked Hornblower then I would strongly recommend watching Sharpe. Apart from the the few episodes done in the 2000s it is, by and large, better than Hornblower. Same period, same style of programme but focussed on the army instead of the RN. And it stars a young Sean Bean.

Originally, it was going to star Paul McGann, but he broke his leg between casting and filming and Sean Bean got the part instead.

I've seen a lot of Sharpe because it's one of my dad's favourites. He's been into the novels since they started.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Helpimscared posted:

I binged through Orange is The New Black, thanks to Netflix just continuing to play episodes without even telling me I had finished Season 1 or anything.

House of Cards also (potentially does this). Thankfully in both cases it's much clearer where the second season ends.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Where are you watching "Hornblower" and "Sharpe" at? I can only find "Sharpe" and its on ITunes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have the Hornblower DVD set. Sucks because I have no DVD player.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have it on DVD as well. I don't use Netflix myself.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw one episode of Sharpe and it was terrible. It had Padma Lakshmi (from Top Chef) as some evil Indian princess.

Made in the 2000s. Bringing it back after years off the screen with a bafflingly poo poo adaptation of a book set before the original series of films was a classically ITV piece of idiocy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At the start of season 2 of Deadwood. So. drat. Good.

Tide fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 3, 2014

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
My wife and I are on Season 5 of Sopranos thanks to Amazon Prime. I'm in Season 2 of Deadwood but took a break to watch Season 6 of Parks and Recreation over the last few days. Not sure what we're moving to next, we haven't had cable in almost 3 years so we pretty much exclusively watch binges on Netflix and Prime

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Pez posted:

My wife and I are on Season 5 of Sopranos thanks to Amazon Prime. I'm in Season 2 of Deadwood but took a break to watch Season 6 of Parks and Recreation over the last few days. Not sure what we're moving to next, we haven't had cable in almost 3 years so we pretty much exclusively watch binges on Netflix and Prime

It isn't as good as the Parks and Rec, but definitely take a look at the League. The sports cameos sort of fly over our heads, but it's still hilarious. Also maybe Modern Family or The Office, if you haven't seen those.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pez posted:

Gilmore Girls is good and it's on Netflix

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wholeheartedly recommend everyone watch "Arliss" starring Robert Wuhl. Watch the first couple of seasons and even if you don't find it funny or entertaining in the smallest degree, please power through because it really picks up and pays off. You can thank me later.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Reverse Centaur posted:

I've jumped back on the Continuum bandwagon after jumping off halfway through the season on first airing. Showcase (Canada) is showing season 1 again and the second-last episode was great. The "anti-corporation people are bad guys" thing still bugs me but I hope they'll deal with that at some point.

Showcase is also airing Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire. How did I not know this? I would've been paying $18 per month for HBO already if a sudden house-related expense didn't come up.

i've been telling EVERYONE I know to watch Boardwalk Empire. Steve B. Is a joy, plus you get the eye candy of Micheal Pitt.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
Thanks to this thread for getting me onto Hornblower. I was sure I'd never seen them before, but watching them made me realize they were super familiar, so I must have caught them when they were first airing, when I was too dumb a child to appreciate the gorgeous sets and costuming.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just finished season 1 of Orange is the New Black.

Firstly, I have all the feels for Chapman and her actress :3:. Not even joking, I'm in love. Hell, nearly all of the cast is great, even Jason Biggs rather surprisingly.

Secondly, what a great loving show. Wasn't completely sure what to make of it at first, the first episode was really gratuitous and mostly about embarassment humor, which I'm not a great fan of, but it got better and better, even if not necessarily more realistic. Didn't think there was a single boring minute all season. Bring on Season 2, I'm assuming Chapman turns into Walter White, but I'm down for whatever. :allears:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

pigdog posted:

Secondly, what a great loving show. Wasn't completely sure what to make of it at first, the first episode was really gratuitous and mostly about embarassment humor, which I'm not a great fan of, but it got better and better, even if not necessarily more realistic. Didn't think there was a single boring minute all season. Bring on Season 2, I'm assuming Chapman turns into Walter White, but I'm down for whatever. :allears:

S2 is much less focused on her, so be warned (the main antagonist actually has only like one scene with her in the same room). It's still a lot of fun though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Just finished season 1 of Stargate Atlantis. Pretty nice so far, though the point I am comparing it to is collection of the worst, in my opinion, moments of 10 seasons of SG-1 I watched 3 years ago. So far it has not had any comparable lows, but one of my housemates warns me that all lows are ahead of me.

On a side note, will I enjoy Stargate Galaxy if I enjoyed SG-1 (overall) and if Atlantis goes similar way for me?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

pigdog posted:

Firstly, I have all the feels for Chapman and her actress :3:. Not even joking, I'm in love. Hell, nearly all of the cast is great, even Jason Biggs rather surprisingly.

Overall season 2 is a lot better. I like to think of it as a good show- with great moments. I recently just finished season 2 and to sum it up in one word it's "satisfying". I anticipate season 3 more than I did season 2.

computer parts posted:

S2 is much less focused on her, so be warned (the main antagonist actually has only like one scene with her in the same room). It's still a lot of fun though.

The secondary cast really does shine in season 2. The only thing I think is missing from the show is flashbacks with Caputo and Healy.

I'm starting up the second half of season 4 of The Walking Dead. I forgot how good this show is.

Not very.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Having watched most of the episodes occasionally the past 15 years, I formally sat down with the intent of watching Futurama from start to finish. The pre-movie seasons were drat fine and consistent to boot. Hardly a bad episode in any of them. It starts to slip starting with the Comedy Central episodes (although movies 1 and 4 were still excellent), though generally the ratio of solid-to-great episodes far outnumbers the groan-inducing ones (the one with Farnsworth joining a street gang was garbage and the reliance upon references such as Susan Boyle already don't hold up in 2014). I disagree with the fans saying Netflix needs to bring it back. Leave it dead, it had a great run and already had 2 great series endings (Meanwhile was alright, but pales in comparison to Devil's Hands and Wild Green Yonder.) My 2 cents.

pigdog posted:

Secondly, what a great loving show. Wasn't completely sure what to make of it at first, the first episode was really gratuitous and mostly about embarassment humor, which I'm not a great fan of, but it got better and better, even if not necessarily more realistic. Didn't think there was a single boring minute all season.

It's a great show (I'm still halfway into season 2), but I'm of the total opposite opinion regarding Piper and her WASPy boyfriend whose name currently escapes me. They both totally annoy me, even if they are supposed to be caricatures (I guess?) of rich white New Yorkers. IMO the first episode in season 1 was awful for that reason, but the season immediately improved when literally every other prisoner was introduced.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I just discovered QI, my life is purdy good now.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

blackmanjew posted:

I just discovered QI, my life is purdy good now.

QI is so good. It's also a gateway TV show into That Mitchell and Webb Look (sketch comedy), any Bill Bailey live show (musical comedy or his one hour special on Alfred Russel Wallace), and even Brian Cox's cosmic shows about Wonders of the Universe and Wonders of the Solar System.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PosSibley posted:

QI is so good. It's also a gateway...

As well as to the fantastic podcast No Such Thing As A Fish

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Riosan posted:

Having watched most of the episodes occasionally the past 15 years, I formally sat down with the intent of watching Futurama from start to finish.

Been watching it as well. Best one so far was the one where they think Fry is a robot. Worst was when Leila was a baseball pitcher. Felt like it was written by a 6 year old.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
I've just finished season one of the killing. Kind of reminds me of twin peaks, but I'll understand if people disagree with me. Either way enjoying it so far.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

f1av0r posted:

I've just finished season one of the killing. Kind of reminds me of twin peaks, but I'll understand if people disagree with me. Either way enjoying it so far.

I watched all of that show, and I just really hated it. But I had to finish it once I'd started. I see the similarities but man, the show just made me angry. I didn't like the main lady's face or actions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Due to the recent announcement of a season 3, I've decided to FINALLY watch Twin Peaks. I saw Fire Walk With Me years ago, but I only remember David Bowie.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm also watching Twin Peaks for the first time; I think I have only two episodes of season 1 left. If nothing else, this show has introduced me to butter and brie baguettes! mmmm goood

I've also been binging through a couple of quirky 90's favorites... Northern Exposure and Picket Fences.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I feel like Twin Peaks is David Lynch's Northern Exposure.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

kalstrams posted:

On a side note, will I enjoy Stargate Galaxy if I enjoyed SG-1 (overall) and if Atlantis goes similar way for me?

SGU starts off...rough, but the second season was a marked improvement and I thought it was pretty good. Characters show growth, interesting things happen and even though people gave it guff for being a Battlestar Galactica clone, I felt like the different direction of the franchise kept it from being more of the same.

Hell, SGU made the Lucian Alliance a semi-competent threat just because of the change in tone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
After hating on SGU for the first half of season 1, it REALLY works on a binge. I've rewatched it a number of times now and i rate it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'll give it a try then.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Utopia, first season of the british series. Really great. Especially the color scheme,soundtrack and the cinematography :pusheen: Is the second season also that good? I saw the ratings were bad. Is there going to be a third season?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

AstroWhale posted:

Utopia, first season of the british series. Really great. Especially the color scheme,soundtrack and the cinematography :pusheen: Is the second season also that good? I saw the ratings were bad. Is there going to be a third season?

Not sure about a third season, but the second is just as great if not better. The first episode is super cool in a totally different way as well. Highly recommended if you liked the first.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

Riosan posted:

I'm of the total opposite opinion regarding Piper and her WASPy boyfriend whose name currently escapes me. They both totally annoy me, even if they are supposed to be caricatures (I guess?) of rich white New Yorkers. IMO the first episode in season 1 was awful for that reason, but the season immediately improved when literally every other prisoner was introduced.

boyfriend is by definition not WASPy. And I think the series is based on a memoir, so they're not caricatures, they're just that annoying!!

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

eunos posted:

And I think the series is based on a memoir, so they're not caricatures

Well that probably depends on how closely based on the memoirs it is. Artistic license is a thing.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

EC posted:

Not sure about a third season, but the second is just as great if not better. The first episode is super cool in a totally different way as well. Highly recommended if you liked the first.

It's done. They announced today that there will be no third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Just finished Broadchurch and it was just what I needed as a pallet cleanser, next binge will either be Halt and Catch Fire, Legends or the HBO show about people disappearing.