Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DatonKallandor posted:

What did you do for Dark Alliance? Because that's still one of the best hack and slash games ever.
Just some interface elements/suggestions and maybe some items, IIRC. Nothing major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
How is that Karma Police tracker going btw?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Very well. Our dialogue tool allows us to see every place we're making checks of various types and it's easy to filter them in different ways. So if, for example, one type of Disposition is overwhelmingly represented and another is hardly represented at all, we can see that and then look at all of the individual instances to see what's going on.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

rope kid posted:

Very well. Our dialogue tool allows us to see every place we're making checks of various types and it's easy to filter them in different ways. So if, for example, one type of Disposition is overwhelmingly represented and another is hardly represented at all, we can see that and then look at all of the individual instances to see what's going on.

Does the karma police only check disposition? Or do you also count the number of attribute/skill checks?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Literally everything we check for via script can be queried. Race, subrace, sex, class, culture, background, deity, paladin order, dispositions, reputations, attributes, skills, etc.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Do temporary bonuses from equipment or consumables affect checks? I kind of worry that I might start carrying a large amount of crap just in case there's a specific check that I want to pass!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Octo1 posted:

Do temporary bonuses from equipment or consumables affect checks? I kind of worry that I might start carrying a large amount of crap just in case there's a specific check that I want to pass!

You just played Wasteland 2 didn't you?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Are some of the interior backgrounds subtly vibrating for anyone else?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
People complained about the static environments so they added occasional earthquakes.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

It's a bug. According to QA should be fixed in the next patch

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Yes, its a bug, its been reported, its been responded to. Now. Now we wait.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

rope kid posted:

Literally everything we check for via script can be queried. Race, subrace, sex, class, culture, background, deity, paladin order, dispositions, reputations, attributes, skills, etc.

LAW AND ORDER: THE KARMA POLICE. There needs to be 4 NPC's who show up if you ever go over what should be possible, and arrest you for cheating.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So I heard the game got delayed. When would we get it now?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

jerichojx posted:

So I heard the game got delayed. When would we get it now?

Early 2015, so anywhere between January and March, far as we know.

Edit:vvv A constant reminder I forgot/couldn't afford to back for extra copies after my initial pledge :(

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 10, 2014

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
Anyone know what will finance it beyond 2014?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jarl posted:

I presume Obsidian has some sort of warchest they can dip into, just not enough to fund the whole game. Alternatively, it may be Paradox is putting in a little money.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Jarl posted:

Pillows of eternity, a freemium casual mobile game, is being released instead and should fund pillars of eternity for as long as it needs to be delayed.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Masonity posted:

Pillows of eternity, a freemium casual mobile game, is being released instead and should fund pillars of eternity for as long as it needs to be delayed.

Beastiary module out Fall 2016!

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Jarl posted:

Likely the money they've made since the end of the Kickstarter due to people upping their pledges, buying the Beta or grabbing the game while it's cheap. I really wouldn't be surprised if that totals up to a lot of cash.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They haven't said anything about how they're financing it, which makes me think it's probably Paradox money and they don't want to say so because people will wail and gnash their teeth about how it's the end of days now that Eternity is being publisher funded.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

New update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project..._project_update

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oof, that notepad instead of the physical Blurays/DVD.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

Yeah, that is sure a thing.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

quote:

Explore Obsidian's masterpiece!
Pillars of Eternity Guidebook Volume One HC
Obsidian Entertainment (W)
On sale Mar 11
FC, 120 pages
$19.99
HC, 8 1/2" x 11"

Packed with never-before-seen art and in-depth lore, this is the definitive exploration of the acclaimed new video game from Obsidian Entertainment!
Having broken records with its hugely successful Kickstarter campaign, Pillars of Eternity mixes modern technology with the beloved traditions of role-playing games, introducing a breathtaking new fantasy world. Every monster, every faction, every deity, and everything in between is covered within the pages of this tome, all accompanied by luscious illustrations.
• Pillars of Eternity raised over 4 million dollars through crowdsourcing!
• Tons of art and lore from the acclaimed game!
• The godfathers of the RPG create their masterpiece!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=56302

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I'd prefer electronic copies than some blu-ray that'll get stuffed in a drawer or storage bin, but I guess I'm not much of a collector. Isn't the content much more important than the medium it's delivered on?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Stele007 posted:

I'd prefer electronic copies than some blu-ray that'll get stuffed in a drawer or storage bin, but I guess I'm not much of a collector. Isn't the content much more important than the medium it's delivered on?

You're talking about nerds spending hundreds of dollars on poo poo like cloth maps. You tell me.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Stele007 posted:

It's more that they paid specifically for that Blu-ray/DVD (Valued at $10-20) and are getting a notepad (value for median pledger approaches ~$0).

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013
Is that Aloth in the update screenshot? I think the wizard has his armor equiped and the character could be an elf. Here a comparision pic of an elf wearing Aloth's armor:

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man
Oof.

Right thing to do: wait until the full documentary is done, print disks, and ship those disks out to people who paid for them. Yep, this means two shipments to some people, but how much does it cost to ship a DVD?

Somewhat less right thing to do but still better than a notepad: offer to delay shipment of physical goods for those who want the documentary disk, and send them everything in one shot.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Airfoil posted:

but how much does it cost to ship a DVD?

Hundreds (or thousands?) of DVDs that has to be prepared and shipped internationally? Probably lots.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I backed for 250$ + international shipping and I literally couldn't care less if I get a DVD or not. Even if I watch it, it's not like I'd ever go through the effort of opening the case and putting the disk in my DVD reader if I can just download it.

If you give money to someone's kickstarter, you should be happy if you even see a finished product.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
So why didn't you go digital tier altogether? I did, because I don't have room for swag and rather just play the game.

This Noteghazi just means that I won't be trusting Obsidian in the future.
Safer to wait few months after the release for that sweet -75% sale on steam. As a bonus it will be less buggy.

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

adhuin posted:

It's more that they paid specifically for that Blu-ray/DVD (Valued at $10-20) and are getting a notepad (value for median pledger approaches ~$0).
What value are you talking about? The value of a dvd is less than $1.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

adhuin posted:

So why didn't you go digital tier altogether? I did, because I don't have room for swag and rather just play the game.

This Noteghazi just means that I won't be trusting Obsidian in the future.
Safer to wait few months after the release for that sweet -75% sale on steam. As a bonus it will be less buggy.

Because I can't be trusted with money and I wanted to back the project.

Also this way I have the option of not touching it and selling all the stuff on ebay for profit in 5 years.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Drifter posted:

Welcome to Notegate 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't care on a personal level either way since I never bought that high of a tier, but:

prometheus12345 posted:

What value are you talking about? The value of a dvd is less than $1.

The value of the professional packaging and whatnot, most likely. And like many things, it is a perceived value, one that happens to be more than a notepad.

Also, I suspect I know why they did it (because they simply hadn't devoted the requisite work hours), but I would have never expected a behind the scenes/documentary to go from inception to release. Nobody cares about that last month or two. That's covered by press interviews and whatnot. It seems to me they could have very well made a perfectly wonderful documentary with all that behind the scenes development stuff and shipped it with the other things had they spent the time doing it. All it takes is planning and understanding the limitations. How does ANYONE else send out these things? They just plan ahead and cut the documentary when it needs to be cut and no quality is lost.

I'm sure it just comes down to money.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Krowley posted:

Hundreds (or thousands?) of DVDs that has to be prepared and shipped internationally? Probably lots.

It certainly won't be free, but I doubt it's going to have much impact on the overall profitability of PoE.

Doing what you said you were going to do is kinda just a thing you should do.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Drifter posted:

I don't care on a personal level either way since I never bought that high of a tier, but:

The value of the professional packaging and whatnot, most likely. And like many things, it is a perceived value, one that happens to be more than a notepad.

Also, I suspect I know why they did it (because they simply hadn't devoted the requisite work hours), but I would have never expected a behind the scenes/documentary to go from inception to release. Nobody cares about that last month or two. That's covered by press interviews and whatnot. It seems to me they could have very well made a perfectly wonderful documentary with all that behind the scenes development stuff and shipped it with the other things had they spent the time doing it. All it takes is planning and understanding the limitations. How does ANYONE else send out these things? They just plan ahead and cut the documentary when it needs to be cut and no quality is lost.

I'm sure it just comes down to money.

You do realize the documentary is still being made and will be available for download?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hand Row posted:

You do realize the documentary is still being made and will be available for download?

Of course. Why would you think otherwise? Their reason for the notepad substitution was because they want to shoot up until the last minute, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
While I am not really upset about the documentary being download only, having it replaced with some note paper does feel a bit crummy.

However, as long as the game is good I will will feel I got my money's worth.

• Locked thread