Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Sounds more like the French, while the British were doling out the ripple fire, but not really my field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man, the workshop for Shogun 2 is a complete mess. I thought the "Xxxtra brootal 300 Spartan reskin" mods for Rome were bad but this is even worse. Not even a good fix for the garish clan colors on there.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I know people like to complain about the UIs in later games being too big but I gotta be honest and say the Empire/Napoleon UIs are waaaaay too small, especially the unit cards.

I decided to knock out the Egypt campaign in NTW this week and it was fun except I suppose I was supposed to mostly be facing off levies until fighting Ottomans, so a lot of it was just spent autoresolving and getting mad when an AR against a single cannon killed the equivalent of a single line unit.

The only thing that really bothered me about NTW was the music felt really weak and almost unnoticeable at times even when I cracked it all the way back up to max. Compared to the awesome Shogun 2 music or hell, even the ETW music I can seem to always recall. Also I guess they added it in Shogun but drag-right clicks in NTW defaulting to move really bothered me coming out of S2 and R2, because even for cav it meant I usually had to hit run everytime I tried to position them on the move.

And I noticed NTW doesn't have unit banners like all the other games, and instead has a flag icon + unit type icon deal going on, kinda like the early footage of Attila is going towards atm (except they at least had the faction flag as the icon). I thought that made it somewhat harder to read the battlefield at times and again, the tiny rear end unit cards did not help because I never caught say, a unit getting shot at or cav charged until it was way too late because the unit cards, numbers, status icons and notifications are really, really small.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Napoleon suffers from the same issues that all Richard Beddow TW games have, a generic and forgettable soundtrack. It all sounds like stars wars or some poo poo. At least the campaign map has some classical music that fits with the timeline, but it needs more variety.

One of the things that annoy me the most about N:TW is minor I guess but it's that Napoleon has the same dumb voice than all the other french generals. They all have horrible voice acting and shout out drivel in a high pitched voice as if no french speakers would play a game about Napoleon. My ears bleed. They should have at least given Napoleon himself decent voice acting.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Last night I played my first naval battle where both sides had explosive shells in FoTS.

So... much... death. :stonk:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sounds more like the French, while the British were doling out the ripple fire, but not really my field.

I think British infantry in the 18th century had kind of a thing for unleashing volleys at very close range. During the Revolutionary Wars the French made the most out of their conscript armies raised in wartime (who often were quite lacking in musketry skills and had few if no opportunities to practice prior to combat) by forming them into large deep assault columns that could absorb alot of fire and still be able to charge and overwhelm an enemy. I believe they also placed more experience soldiers in the front ranks (who would stand firm) and in the rear (who would keep those in front advancing at a steady rate) to maximise the effectiveness and cohesion of such formations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Murderion posted:

So... much... death. :black101:
FTFY

Just wait until you get the HMS Warrior in a battle. Rule Britannia :britain:!

I could never get the hang of FOTS naval battles but they sure were hella cool to watch

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I think it's been elaborated upon in one of the military history threads in A/T at some point in the past. If I remember correctly, (this obviously varied hugely depending on the specific situation, commander, etc. etc., and is just a rough generalisation), both the French and the British closed to melee as quickly as possible. Now mind, this only applies specifically for offensive maneuvers, i.e. when the enemy was sitting on some ground you wanted to take. If on the defensive and/or good terrain, any side would occasionally just be content to sit back and exchange fire.

The French generally had the advantage of numbers and great morale and would indeed march right into the charge, occasionally even foregoing the volley entirely, because bayonet charges were usually decided by rout incredibly quickly once contact was made or even before that. The British did that thing with the last-minute volley that was mentioned, and added some psychological warfare by advancing entirely in silence until the charge came and letting loose with a huge war cry at that point. The Prussians went entirely the other way, they'd start shooting rather early and far out, advance a bit, fire again, and so on. Their linemen usually had superior drill and discipline in reloading procedures, so the idea was to put pressure on the enemy early on and goad them into returning fire from ineffective ranges. Common military wisdom was that every volley after the first becomes progressively weaker as soldiers started fatiguing and loving up their reloading, over/under- or doublecharging and not taking the time to aim properly. As they closed in, the firepower of the enemy regiment would degrade more quickly than their own, and eventually they'd gain the advantage through weight of fire.

At least that's what I remember, I can't seem to find the original post on short notice. I hope I didn't gently caress up the details too much.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Kinda hankering to do another S2 or FOTS campaign, but this time with mods. Which is better these days, Radious or DM?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The signature British tactic from the Napoleonic Wars was the reverse slope defense. They would stand on the other side of a hill or rise and shoot the French as they came over the top. Napoleon was an artilleryman, for example he won Austerlitz with murderous artillery fire, so standing on the other side of a hill was prudent. It became so routine that Wellington once wrote "They came on in the usual way and we beat them in the usual way." referring to the reverse slop defense. The strategic situation in the peninsula dictated that the French had to bring Wellesley to battle rather than vice versa so he could adopt defensive tactics during a strategic advance.

That's another one of the reasons I like Napoleon; the lay of the land is a little more important. It's not just hiding in woods or standing on the top of a slope, a little depression or rise can make the difference between hot lead death and comfortable solitude. You have to check your sight lines a lot in Napoleon. Unfortunately the AI does not know how to do this but what do you expect?

Naval battles in Napoleon were the most fun I've had in Total War multiplayer, ever. Everything is constantly in motion and you need to plan for where your opponent will be, not where he is, but there are only 10 units allowed per side so it's not overwhelming. It starts out being about planning three steps ahead and figuring out how best to maneuver your formation, then ships start sinking or exploding and boarding and the plan starts to fall apart. It really gives that feeling of order slowly giving way to chaos and desperate single engagements like a good tabletop wargame. Crossing your enemy's line of battle or boarding one crippled ship from another is very satisfying. Also, tall ships are very pretty.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So have they said who is doing the music for Attila? Apparently Creative Assembly hasn't totally cut ties with Jeff Van Dyck, he just did the soundtrack for Alien: Isolation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Naval battles in Napoleon were the most fun I've had in Total War multiplayer, ever. Everything is constantly in motion and you need to plan for where your opponent will be, not where he is, but there are only 10 units allowed per side so it's not overwhelming. It starts out being about planning three steps ahead and figuring out how best to maneuver your formation, then ships start sinking or exploding and boarding and the plan starts to fall apart. It really gives that feeling of order slowly giving way to chaos and desperate single engagements like a good tabletop wargame. Crossing your enemy's line of battle or boarding one crippled ship from another is very satisfying. Also, tall ships are very pretty.

Yeah Napoleon has the best naval battle in any TW game I've played. Seemed to kind of go downhill in S2 where it feels like you are trying to push around a bunch of potatoes bobbing in the sea

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it just me or is the S2 naval AI incredibly bad? It just tends to sit there in a neat line while I roll up the flank.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

How is the Great War mod for Napoleon?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

If you can suffer through these entire 20 minutes then I don't know what in the world is wrong with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_6xvsoz_e0

Pretty much describes Total War mods in a nutshell, as in, nothing is ever really explained but everyone feels good about them and how bad CA's design must be if modders need to fix them. And I really shouldn't pick on the guy doing the voice over but his ad libbing is not helping him at all and I don't know how he didn't notice it during editing.

He listed 10 mods and I never really ever got the sense of what made these mods so good or any actual specifics about the mods, and more so about "well they were cool and were actually just total conversions mostly, and I liked them, and people play them still and ... well, the base games were always bad after you try mods, just believe me!"

I am still trying to decide if I should play Darthmod or Radious for Shogun 2 but honestly I cannot find much information on DM on what it changes, and though I'm aware of how S2 Radious operates, a lot of the changes in the separate modules don't exactly fill me with confidence, nor are the unit packs really that exciting except to work as filler of every variation (of [weapon] + [class] + [mounted/unmounted] that didn't exist already, so there's no gaps left in the roster, plus slight variations on line/levy infantry)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I used Radious for S2, for AI and economy. The Battle module is basically "longer battles", like every single battle rebalance mod from TWC. I seriously don't know what the gently caress, are they constantly playing on x2 speed? Since pretty much all the clans share the same roster, I didn't have issues with getting an even more complete roster though ninja cavalry is pretty silly. They are not offensively bad like the Rome unit mods.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
TWC users do not understand abstractions. They think when a battle only lasts 5 real time minutes this must mean the devs think actual battles only lasted that long.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sober posted:

I am still trying to decide if I should play Darthmod or Radious for Shogun 2 but honestly I cannot find much information on DM on what it changes, and though I'm aware of how S2 Radious operates, a lot of the changes in the separate modules don't exactly fill me with confidence, nor are the unit packs really that exciting except to work as filler of every variation (of [weapon] + [class] + [mounted/unmounted] that didn't exist already, so there's no gaps left in the roster, plus slight variations on line/levy infantry)

Not to be that guy, but honestly I'd recommend against both. :shrug: Neither of them really attempt to tie into the overall game design very well and it shows. They slow the battles down but don't really effect stats in such a way that the battle outcome changes, so you just end up wasting time in a longer battle with the same results. Radious I've found also leads to AI stack overdrive, which is cool at first but seriously gets tedious as time goes on. I have limited experience with Darth, but the mod maker is a complete shithead and the mod slaps Darth Vader and lightsabers all over the menus and UI, so unless you have some extreme tolerance for modder bullshit I'd give it a pass too.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah if you use Radious' be prepared for every battle you fight to have about 20 armies piled into it. But if you're totally bored with vanilla I wouldn't completely recommend against it, it's fun for the changes, even if only for a little while.

If you just want a slightly different campaign what I'd recommend though would just be a mod that unlocks the Sengoku Jidai unit pack units for every faction- there's a module that enables it for the AI too, and they do use them to fairly decent effect. It's nice especially 'cause those units are actually somewhat competently thought out.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

Yeah if you use Radious' be prepared for every battle you fight to have about 20 armies piled into it. But if you're totally bored with vanilla I wouldn't completely recommend against it, it's fun for the changes, even if only for a little while.

There's nothing that deflates my will to keep playing more than 10-15 full stacks sieging one of my cities. And not even attacking, just waiting out the whole siege. At least there's some element of fun in a siege defense battle where you're hopelessly outnumbered, but want to see how many of the bastards you can take to hell with you.

I guess Radious is for people who feel like there's just not enough repetitive slog in TW games as it is.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

TWC users do not understand abstractions. They think when a battle only lasts 5 real time minutes this must mean the devs think actual battles only lasted that long.

It's funny when people who don't understand abstractions complain about Civilization the same way. Just enjoy the spectacle of ten pikemen attacking an attack helicopter which appears to be the same size as a city of 12 million, OK?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

There's nothing that deflates my will to keep playing more than 10-15 full stacks sieging one of my cities. And not even attacking, just waiting out the whole siege. At least there's some element of fun in a siege defense battle where you're hopelessly outnumbered, but want to see how many of the bastards you can take to hell with you.

I guess Radious is for people who feel like there's just not enough repetitive slog in TW games as it is.
Are you being literal here? Do 10 armies literally siege your cities? Does Radious really increase unit production that much? :psyduck:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Every time I think I want to try radious for shogun 2, I read his post talking about how cool and modular his stuff is only to dig down further and find that each of the modules include smaller changes seemingly unrelated to the module name.

For instance, his experience mod isn't just changing the unit/agent/general experience required for level ups, as you'd expect from something simply called the experience module; it also re-balances agents entirely and, for some reason, changes the % of the unit that needs to be alive after a battle to not kill the unit. And it adds capture resistance to the AI, which doesn't change legendary and hardly effects very hard, but can make the other difficulty levels even easier which isn't really a thing I'd particularly want. Normal was just fine without giving the AI pretty much the same resistance to invader penalties you get, since they don't know how to keep garrisons or exempt taxes to prevent revolts, resulting in grey provinces everywhere ripe for the taking.

His "Diplomacy Module" both adds units you might not want cluttering things up and changes diplomacy.

His "Limit and Upkeep" module does what you'd think and reduces recruitment time to 1 for all units. Yep, for all units. The AI already basically had this bonus on higher difficulties, I guess, but this took it a little further.

Which parts of radious did you want to try, in particular? For the experience part I already made my own that just did experience for generals/agents and could look into putting it on the workshop/adding other components too. I'd been meaning to mess with the tech/agent trees a bit anyway.

edit: Yeah, if you use every module of radious (never done it) looks like the AI can recruit everything in one turn and can easily get 5 or so slots per castle really early on. So can you, but you don't get AI economy.

Decus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 9, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That's weird, I can't register onto TWC because they think I'm a spammer for some reason. Oh well, all the better I guess.

:byodood: LAZY DEVELOPERS :byodood:

Let's start with your typical reasonable post ... on TWC no less:

Oh, alright, so

quote:

I'm not trying to start another thread about how good or bad CA is, rather I post this here for people who are interested in Game Design.

nope, here comes the local village grognard, Humble Warrior (who shows up a lot to tell everyone what for) to tell us what's really up.

Humble Warrior posted:

It is indeed made due to an inability (or willingness to spend the time more like) of present day devs to make the AI work properly with sea invasions. Firaxis do it too, sadly, even Age of wonders 3 do it.

I really don't like it. It bugs me every single time an army walks onto the water and turns into an instant boat. I aslo disagree with the article it is NOT a good way to solve an AI problem, but horribly lazy way that throws the realism we once had, into a farce. What was wrong with S2's and FOTS`s sea invasions? nothing.

It's funny, but you can literally watch how various game Devs will follow each other like sheep over various ways of making a game. Sometimes they all copy the same bad practises. Instead of being innovative they follow cheap ways to solve a problem. Not innovative, not real, not creative at all.
Well, that's not entirely fair, you know, they probably spent some time debating the merits of -

Humble Warrior posted:

You clearly don't get it and my explain won't help you get it.

Best to just disagreed as we get along fine doing that.
umm, okay?

I mean, those lazy developers, right? I mean, what the gently caress does CA do all day? Release video content talking about the development of their game while developing a goddamn video game? Patch a game consistently for over a year while working on production for two other titles (Alien: Isolation and Attila: Total War)?

Please, I could pontificate about how terrible their design philosophies better than that! You should totally hear about my personal vision of how Rome 2 should've been.

I kinda wish I could have a TWC account to go through this guy's post history. I guess it's kinda low-hanging fruit if I just quote him from the stickied complaint thread but...

Humble Warrior posted:

I hate that jumping up and down in formation crap some Roman soldiers do. I'm pretty sure in reality, as in most armies, the officer would be slapping any soldier doing that iin the ranks. You never see soldiers doing that. Ever.

If anyone is wondering what his significant contributions to the Total War community are, it includes whining about torches and constantly changing his signature banner to tell people torches are bad and ahistorical and stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Er, didn't Hannibal famously escape a Roman encirclement by tying a bunch of torches to a herd of oxen and the Romans thought "HOLY poo poo Hannibal is moving his army!" and ran off to investigate, thus allowing him to escape?

So apparently the Romans didn't think torches were totally not a thing that armies used.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Er, didn't Hannibal famously escape a Roman encirclement by tying a bunch of torches to a herd of oxen and the Romans thought "HOLY poo poo Hannibal is moving his army!" and ran off to investigate, thus allowing him to escape?

So apparently the Romans didn't think torches were totally not a thing that armies used.
Probably something to do with throwing torches at settlement gatehouses to burn the gates down because, "b-b-b-but the gates are made of copper and other metal alloys so this wouldn't happen" and "well then those babies should bring real siege equipment and the game should auto fail your siege for losing them all on the approach."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They can't be made of metal, surely, ancient metalworking wasn't done on that sort of scale. They might be faced with metal plates but the door is not one giant slab of metal. Plus, that would be really loving expensive, not to mention the kind of metallurgy you'd need in order to build a pair of hinges big enough to hold a door that heavy.

Setting fire to the doors is an entirely real thing and is one of the reasons that gatehouses were fitted with murder holes, so you could try to douse any fire set against the doors. Even if you didn't have a wooden door, the heat would probably damage, warp, or weaken the metal components.

Does he get all his history from the third lord of the rings movie or something?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 10, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The people who post of TWC filter anything useful or informative about history and just keep the bits that appeal to them and white wash/ignore anything else.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

The people who post of TWC filter anything useful or informative about history and just keep the bits that appeal to them and white wash/ignore anything else.

The only good abstraction is my abstraction, I guess.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I hate that jumping up and down in formation crap some Roman soldiers do. I'm pretty sure in reality, as in most armies, the officer would be slapping any soldier doing that iin the ranks. You never see soldiers doing that. Ever.

Yes, it is generally well known that officers do the utmost to prevent their soldiers from pumping themselves up for the upcoming battle. Realism you see :downs:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

You don't need to pump yourself up if your morale naturally lasts for years before breaking.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Being critical of primary sources is something TWC doesn't know how to do, despite it being one of the first things a history course will teach you.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

TW Center is full of giant babies who have decided through some sort of group consensus that CA is bad therefore the more a mod changes things from how "bad CA" does it, the better the mod must be.

This is why huge fuckoff mods that change every conceivable detail like DarthMod and Radious get so popular, despite the fact that like 90% of their changes are stupid/completely unnecessary.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Sober posted:

If anyone is wondering what his significant contributions to the Total War community are, it includes whining about torches and constantly changing his signature banner to tell people torches are bad and ahistorical and stuff.

He (along with quite a few others) also thinks Steam is the Great Satan, let's not forget that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
loving hell, I remember when it was first announced that Empire would be using Steamworks, and the shitstorm was un loving believable. Speaking of spergy manchildren of a different caliber, however, does anyone remember PrinceOfMacedon? The dude who claims to be the greatest Total War player alive and bans anyone from his channel who contests that? And that people who play the campaigns are awful because they don't play the great multiplayer leagues?

Also, watched the Siege of Londinium video for Attlia. Older style Unit cards are back, baby!

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

He (along with quite a few others) also thinks Steam is the Great Satan, let's not forget that.

I've noticed that a lot too. Steam is probably the single biggest thing that's kept me interested in PC gaming in the past several years. I check out the CivFanatics forums every now and then, and there's a big anti-Steam strain there too. I guess crotchety old strategy gamers hate DRM.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if you do dislike steam for its DRM, it's probably one of the biggest reasons we still have PC gaming as a popular medium. Christ I know before steam there was a shelf, maybe, at my local brick and mortar for PC games, and they had a pretty crappy selection, and shite pricing.

Steam's done more for PC gaming and by extension, games like Total War than anything I can think of in all the time PC gaming has existed, except for possibly the invention of the CD.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

loving hell, I remember when it was first announced that Empire would be using Steamworks, and the shitstorm was un loving believable. Speaking of spergy manchildren of a different caliber, however, does anyone remember PrinceOfMacedon? The dude who claims to be the greatest Total War player alive and bans anyone from his channel who contests that? And that people who play the campaigns are awful because they don't play the great multiplayer leagues?

Also, watched the Siege of Londinium video for Attlia. Older style Unit cards are back, baby!

Doesn't that guy also have that really weird hard on for Alexander? And bans anyone who speaks ill of him?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
But but but don't you see, :pcgaming: doesn't need filthy console style DRM like Steam, the mere fact it is the glorious master race of gaming means it will always be popular to those who matter.

Arcsquad12 posted:

This isn't getting enough love, even as someone who likes Rome 2 now that is really awesome :dance:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Even if you do dislike steam for its DRM, it's probably one of the biggest reasons we still have PC gaming as a popular medium. Christ I know before steam there was a shelf, maybe, at my local brick and mortar for PC games, and they had a pretty crappy selection, and shite pricing.

Steam's done more for PC gaming and by extension, games like Total War than anything I can think of in all the time PC gaming has existed, except for possibly the invention of the CD.
but don't you see if a game is on steam it means it has a larger audience which means it has to sell to more people which means they have to appeal to casuals which explains why all the games since empire have gotten progressively simpler i mean gunpowder warfare is just dudes standing in lines shooting each other then we go back to shogun which means like every faction has the same units and there's like only 7 units total in a game i mean casuals am i right ruining the complexity of total war games i loving hate steam i mean look at rome 2 now loving torches burning down superior hellenic gate construction what the gently caress is that poo poo and don't get me started on flaming javelins i mean if you don't have access to archers then you should know where to procure them i mean those casuals think you can just play a game about antiquity and not know where all the capable archers used to be fielded so we get people throwing flaming javelins i mean cmon now fuckin casuals always ruining total war games because of steam