Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sold my HE-400 and got a AD900x + change.

Trip report on the AD900x: It's very much like the AD900 but with a bit more bass. The pads are different. The AD900X is very comfortable, maybe even more so than the AD900.

Overall it's more of the same, which in this case it's a really good thing.

Edit: Also holy crap distorted guitars sound brutal on this thing.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Virtue posted:

My Yuin PK2s met their unfortunate end in a washing machine yesterday so I figured I'd ask for recommendations for a replacement.

I want to be able to hear what's going on around me so I think that rules out IEMs. Budget is up to $100 but something in the $40-60 range would be preferable. Mic and volume up/down buttons would be nice but not a total necessity. These will be primarily used to listen to podcasts and pop.

Even in 2014 you're not going to find many earbuds other than Yuin.

Elentor posted:

Sold my HE-400 and got a AD900x + change.

Trip report on the AD900x: It's very much like the AD900 but with a bit more bass. The pads are different. The AD900X is very comfortable, maybe even more so than the AD900.

Overall it's more of the same, which in this case it's a really good thing.

Edit: Also holy crap distorted guitars sound brutal on this thing.

I'm not sure if brutal means good or bad in this case.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Midorka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW47FkThbio

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried Sony XB90EX imports from Japan? I decided to try a pair after my Vpulses shat the bed and Velodyne doesn't make the same IEMs anymore, they are cheap sounding and,.. well just cheap.

I love bass but not particularly forward stuff, just really quality low subwoofer type bass.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

redeyes posted:

Has anyone tried Sony XB90EX imports from Japan? I decided to try a pair after my Vpulses shat the bed and Velodyne doesn't make the same IEMs anymore, they are cheap sounding and,.. well just cheap.

I love bass but not particularly forward stuff, just really quality low subwoofer type bass.

I think Velodyne was bought by some cheap Chinese brand called Don Scorpio or something, which I read issues with durability and customer support.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Looking for some recommendations. Closed, not too bulky, preferably warm sound, durable cables (this always seems to be what ultimately kills mine), used for music on the go and games, mic optional, $100-150 budget. I've been looking at the Exodus in the list from the OP, they look pretty neat, but are there better alternatives around the same price and size? How is the mic on those? What about their other models?

Edit: The Liberate XL look really nice, too, unfortunately I can only seem to find a bluetooth version.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 7, 2014

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Midorka posted:

That's a shame. No earbud offerings from the big companies are any good? Eg. AKG, Sennheiser, etc

Is there a big difference between the Yuin PK3 and PK2? Or even the PK1?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Virtue posted:

That's a shame. No earbud offerings from the big companies are any good? Eg. AKG, Sennheiser, etc

Is there a big difference between the Yuin PK3 and PK2? Or even the PK1?

Sennheiser has a decent earbud lineup still, and AKG released a line of "hybrid" earbud/iems that provide a partial seal but don't actually enter the ear canal.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Midorka posted:

They sound good to me, though I can see some people disliking how harsh they can sound sometimes.

Velocibacon got it right.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone tell me more about the latest hyped chinese iems: TTPOD T1-Enhanced
http://www.dx.com/p/ttpod-t1-enhanced-3-5mm-hi-fi-in-ear-earphone-blue-silver-white-334983

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Need advice for some IEMs. Im in Australia: I was using Razer Hammerheads (are they actually any good? just a rebrand of something else?) for music on the train to and from work - good bass and decent clarity for my ear but the lack of inline buttons/mic annoyed me and ended up losing one of the ear bud cover things and they only come with one pair of each size. reverted back to using the ones that came with my samsung phone and they sound fairly rubbish.

I can currently get Klipsch Image S3m for 39$ and Klipsch Image S4 II for 89$; both on sale. Listen to a broad enough range of music that it's not worth naming one for sound purposes.

Thoughts?

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

redeyes posted:

Can anyone tell me more about the latest hyped chinese iems: TTPOD T1-Enhanced
http://www.dx.com/p/ttpod-t1-enhanced-3-5mm-hi-fi-in-ear-earphone-blue-silver-white-334983

I got a pair some time ago. Sound is great, comes with lots of accessories. Only thing I dislike is that the cable is a bit too long for my taste.

Kinda like the xiaomi piston except less boomy.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Good as new :(

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Sorbus posted:

I got a pair some time ago. Sound is great, comes with lots of accessories. Only thing I dislike is that the cable is a bit too long for my taste.

Kinda like the xiaomi piston except less boomy.

I just got a pair and they are honestly pretty fantastic. The upper range is to die for, warm, sensual, all those adjectives. The low end is very nice but not as low reaching as the vPulse.. so far. I'll say this, for what they were, the vpulse were incredibly good and maybe unmatachable. Still the low end is great and good enough for any style of music.

I also got a pair of Sony XB90EX Imports from Japan and I don't quite know what to make of them. My initial reaction is sound stage is HUGE MASSIVE, almost dance hall style.. probably too much for me. The bass is basically incredible but not as well controlled as the vPulse or even the TTPODs. It ranks up there with huge over the head style phones. The highs are eh so far.. thin and technical. Not warm and vibrant. Internet says pink noise for 50 hours is in order but given that they were 80 bux I doubt I will have them that long.

[edit] Burned the Sonys in with pink noise for 2 hours (nothing really) and my god. There is something to these buds. The sound stage is comparable to Sennheiser over the head open types.. with fantastic noise blocking. Its REALLY odd and something I have never heard before. The technical aspect of the highs is melting into a warmer sound stage but still massive. [2nd edit] The sound stage is a hang up for me. I can't listen to anything technical: it sounds like its being played 200 feet away.. for some music this sound totally incredible but this is the minority

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 9, 2014

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Good as new :(

My ears are cringing in pain looking at this

*checks iems to make sure they are in one piece*

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Ultimate Mango posted:

My ears are cringing in pain looking at this

*checks iems to make sure they are in one piece*

The company didn't do me any favors with the repair estimate. It was basically the price of a reshell.

I only wanted them for mowing the lawn. There's no glue on the canal section so they don't feel too bad.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So say I wanted the same kind of sound as the TTPOD T1-E, with even more low bass if possible. Is that possible? I'm really impressed with these IEMs. They pretty much are as good as any other IEM I have tried and better than most.. and for sure for $36. I really like the sound signature.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I was thinking about getting some KZ-EDSE headphones(http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...1987244299.html). They get pretty good reviews at head-fi (considering they are < $7). But, I noticed this picture at the end of the listing:

Is this style compatible with standard TRS 3.5mm jacks? It seems like it could be, if the jack's ground contact manages to touch both right- and left-, but is that reliable? Do I need an adapter?

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
Budget - $100 or less
Source - various things, usually a laptop, occasionally my phone
Isolation Requirements - nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - true reproduction
Past Headphones - Bose TriPort
Preferred Music - Any and all types of music

What do you all say to these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328
Looks like great reviews on amazon and newegg, and newegg is running them for $75 which seems like a good price. I have Bose Tri-Port over ear phones right now and I have liked their sound, but they are getting tired and worn. The ear cups need replacing and Bose wants $35 for some fake leather and foam replacements. I figured I'd just try something new instead - or I can save my money and get knockoff earpads from china for like $10.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I got one of these HiFimeDIY mini Android Sabre DAC's for my Galaxy Note II. I find its output to be loving incredible and highly recommended. Easily beating any other Android phones stock audio system in fidelity and warmth. http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/android-dac
You just pug it into a modern Android phone and it takes over for the audio output. Volume controls still work. It's output is loud enough to drive mobile style headphones/buds but not to ear shattering levels. Enough for most people however.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

axia posted:

Budget - $100 or less
Source - various things, usually a laptop, occasionally my phone
Isolation Requirements - nope
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over-ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - true reproduction
Past Headphones - Bose TriPort
Preferred Music - Any and all types of music

What do you all say to these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106328
Looks like great reviews on amazon and newegg, and newegg is running them for $75 which seems like a good price. I have Bose Tri-Port over ear phones right now and I have liked their sound, but they are getting tired and worn. The ear cups need replacing and Bose wants $35 for some fake leather and foam replacements. I figured I'd just try something new instead - or I can save my money and get knockoff earpads from china for like $10.

Go Chinese! http://penonaudio.com/DONSCORPIO-Dolphin

I'm being dead serious that the reviews I have seen rate these way the hell up there. Far far passed the pair you linked.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

redeyes posted:

I'm being dead serious that the reviews I have seen rate these way the hell up there. Far far passed the pair you linked.

And the customer support is absolutely awful from reports.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Midorka posted:

And the customer support is absolutely awful from reports.

Oh it goes without saying, I wouldn't even expect support.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

redeyes posted:

Any gems in their earbud department? I see Yuin PKs in there and OKs which I've never heard of among a host of others.

Re: My original post

Virtue posted:

My Yuin PK2s met their unfortunate end in a washing machine yesterday so I figured I'd ask for recommendations for a replacement.

I want to be able to hear what's going on around me so I think that rules out IEMs. Budget is up to $100 but something in the $40-60 range would be preferable. Mic and volume up/down buttons would be nice but not a total necessity. These will be primarily used to listen to podcasts and pop.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'd avoid HiSound, they have poo poo QC and just as bad customer service. HiFiMan has bad customer service as well. Sunrise had a huge hit IEM a few years ago, but has been unheard of otherwise in the audio world. I've heard the Senns are good, but discontinued, so any warranty will likely not have any help.

I still think Yuin is your best bet if you want quality. If you want cheap/durable JVC Gummy's will handle abuse.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Midorka posted:

I'd avoid HiSound, they have poo poo QC and just as bad customer service. HiFiMan has bad customer service as well. Sunrise had a huge hit IEM a few years ago, but has been unheard of otherwise in the audio world. I've heard the Senns are good, but discontinued, so any warranty will likely not have any help.

I still think Yuin is your best bet if you want quality. If you want cheap/durable JVC Gummy's will handle abuse.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the Yuin OK3s since it's not crazy expensive and at a similar price point to the PK2s but I'll likely google around for some reviews before pulling the trigger.

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones that I can use at work. I work in the backroom of a surplus store, and will be moving freight around constantly. I need a pair of headphones that sound decent for single ear listening, and are durable. So instead of just going out and finding a cheap pair that sounds like poo poo, I figured I would see if anyone had a good suggestion.
Budget - $20-$40
Source - iPod touch
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Ear buds.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced.
Past Headphones - Audio Technica, ATH-WS55. I still use these headphone for my home music and gaming.
Preferred Music - Metal, electronic, more metal.

:iiam:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I won a pair of Sennheiser Urbanites. Should receive them in a couple week, trip report when they arrive.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
i got a pair of these for $100. Did I do a good job?

http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K-701-Headphones-White/dp/B000EBBJ6Y/ref=pd_ybh_1

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I was looking at those Xiaomi Pistons, but the only two sellers working through Amazon.ca are these two. Has anyone dealt with them before? Any idea if import fees might jack up that $25 price?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Looking for a pair headphones and thought I would stop by here to get a recommendation:

Usage: tv/movies/games
Source: receiver thar sources the sound for said activites.
Style: over the ear
Budget <$300
Cans: curious about open, but have loved my closed on ear sennheisers.

Seems simple enough, and casual amazon browsing has pointed me to the a pair of rs180. I can't really make an argument for anything at this point and the less I can spend the better. The primary usage will be at night while the kids/Mrs. Are sleeping, so a quiet environment is expected. Recommend something comfortable please!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Budget - <$200
Source - Movies and TV shows on a Tablet.
Isolation Requirements - Closed, I imagine. I'm going to be using them mostly on my subway ride to and from work.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Whatever works best.
Past Headphones - Just generic ear buds.

I was looking at a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B when I decided to check SA on a whim and saw that noise cancelling is not recommended. What would people recommend for watching videos on my tablet on a noisy subway car?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

The Dark One posted:

I was looking at those Xiaomi Pistons, but the only two sellers working through Amazon.ca are these two. Has anyone dealt with them before? Any idea if import fees might jack up that $25 price?

I'd probably say get them from bigbargainonline on eBay and spend the extra $8-10 to ensure they're authentic.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Moon Slayer posted:

Budget - <$200
Source - Movies and TV shows on a Tablet.
Isolation Requirements - Closed, I imagine. I'm going to be using them mostly on my subway ride to and from work.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Whatever works best.
Past Headphones - Just generic ear buds.

I was looking at a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B when I decided to check SA on a whim and saw that noise cancelling is not recommended. What would people recommend for watching videos on my tablet on a noisy subway car?

Noise canceling is designed for the plane/car/subway. Anywhere there is a low pitch constant background noise works gives noise cancelling a fair shot at working well.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am on a quest to replace my Velodyne Vpulse with something that is better build quality but has equal or better bass response.
I am not kidding that so far I have never heard another set of phones/buds that have the low end response and texture of the VPulse while still maintaining the refined highs and mids of a high end IEM.

So far I have tried these models:

Velodyne vPulse v1 (ending in 2012) - incredible bass, sub bass, and texture, highs are refined and not pushed, mids are slightly recessed but nice
velodyne vPulse v2 (2012 - current) - bloated bass, bad texture, highs are muddy and so are mids, a poor IEM, still huge amounts of subbass though

TTPOD T1-E - High bass is quite forward, mids are beautiful, treble is good but fatiguing compared to the Vpulse, maybe slightly more refined

Senheiser CX300 - not much subbass or high treble, all mids and stuffy sound

Sony XB90EX - absolutely stunning bass and sub bass texture, massive sound stage but not accurate to the recording, highs and mids are very poor and muddy, these probably sound good for classical and jazz

HTC One M8 IEM - bloated mid bass, no sub bass, boxy highs and mids, horrible IEMs

Ultimate Ears 500 - thin sound, decent mids and highs, no sub bass, midbass is ok, horrible build quality

Any help would be highly appreciated because I am having a hard time finding recommendations for a vPulse beater.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 12, 2014

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Budget - <$60
Source - Music from my iPhone
Isolation Requirements - Whatever
Preferred Type of Headphone - In ear, these are going to be airport/out and about headphones. So a small roll up case would be nice to prevent tangles.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD-280 PRO is my go to at home but these are not super portable

I was also thinking about getting a small portable amp if needed. Something like the FiiO E6.

Also, has anyone used the Ele EL-D06 DAC? They're pretty cheap and made in China. I picked one up to hook up to my vintage receiver to play music from my MacBook. They also have a headphone jack and when I use it with my HD280 they sound fantastic. Neat little basic DAC that some people may be interested in.

Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo
Budget: Look, I'm just here to find out if these are good; so I guess it's 300?
Source: PC with a Magni Amp.
Isolation Requirements: It's preferred, but not necessary.
Preferred Type of Headphone: I'm going to be using them at my house where I live, so I would REALLY LIKE THEM TO BE OVER THE EARS
Past Headphones: I currently use a set of Beyerdynamic DT770s for going out, and I use Sennheiser HD598s for home.

Now the main reason I actually did this has nothing to do with the above, because I know enough about 'phones to get by. Does anyone have a set of these? I'm seriously debating if I should pick them up and replace my 598s with them - they're a lot better according to what I've read, and they look really comfortable. Anyone know anything about them?

Duckwaffle
Nov 8, 2010

Budget: $100
Source: PC secondary sound card
Isolation Requirements: None
Preferred Type of Headphone: Full size
Past Headphones: JVC Harx900

I have been using the Harx900 for a few years now and they have been very good for me so far. Looking on line I could get a replacement pair for about the same price as before, but I would like to see if what is out there before I do that. Based on what I can find from the OP and the cost from Amazon Canada, the KRK KNS6400 look like a good option. The only major concern for me would be comfort as I could be wearing these for many hours at a time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well since I haven't been able to find a good comparable product to the Velodyne Vpulse, I decided to try the DonScorpio Bass Colour models since they look like they are actually the older 2012 version of the vpluse. Time will tell but for 40 bux, hard to go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sure, I'll bite:

Budget: $200-300
Sources: (1) Macbook Air → Schiit Modi → Schiit Magni; (2) Turntable → Schiit Magni
Isolation: N/A
Headphone Type: Over-the-ear/Full-size
Music preferences: Fairly varied. Recently I've been listening to a lot of jazz and mind-bendy bullshit like later Miles Davis and John Zorn; I also listen to a lot of indie rock, electronic, hip-hop, classical, and folk.

What I'm looking for: Comfortable headphones that deliver a lot of detail. I like to be able to pick out the individual pieces of complicated music while I'm listening. I don't want highs that are going to punch me in the face (super high sounds can give me very mild headaches). I like a fair amount of bass but I don't think I'm quite what you'd call a "basshead."

I'm currently considering the Beyerdynamic DT880's — probably the 600 or 250 ohm version. I think the Magni can handle that, right? And higher impedance = higher signal-to-noise ratio, right? Feel free to correct me if I'm totally wrong. My dad has the 32 ohm version and they're comfortable as poo poo.

Basically I'm looking for someone to either convince me to buy the 880's, or convince me that something else in that price range is going to be noticeably better.

Also if someone could clear up whether higher impedance truly is better (assuming you have an amp that can drive them), that would be cool.