Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Trent posted:

Radical Islam is scary but awesome?
Radical Islam is misunderstood?
Radical Islam is a kind of fish?

edit:

Radical Islam was eaten by a kind of misunderstood scary awesome fish and is no longer a threat?

Radical Islam was supposed to be much more of a constant, pervasive threat...but it was badly constructed and kept malfunctioning so it had to be used sparingly, resulting in it being seen less but having much more fearful presence when it wasn't broken.

(it is a Jaws movie production joke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Conquest is biblical, pestilence is not.

Nethack lied to me. :saddowns:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's cool I only know that because of Sleepy Hollow.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stubblyhead posted:

Nethack lied to me. :saddowns:

The confusion comes because after the horsemen are described, this passage comes:

quote:

They were given authority over a quarter of the earth, to kill with sword, famine, and plague, and by means of the beasts of the earth.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Conquest and War are just kind of redundant to be honest, which is why Pestilence has caught on.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

One of them is literally Death. Why would Death be afraid of ANYTHING? And this rear end in a top hat gets paid to poo poo these out.

JT Jag posted:

Conquest and War are just kind of redundant to be honest, which is why Pestilence has caught on.

Personally I think Death would suffice but I guess it played better with test audiences if there were four.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 7, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Darkman Fanpage posted:

One of them is literally Death. Why would Death be afraid of ANYTHING? And this rear end in a top hat gets paid to poo poo these out.
I mean maybe War and Famine would be a little freaked out but Death should be riding side-by-side with Ebola. Maybe while wearing a mask, but still.

It's pretty dumb.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Stultus Maximus posted:

The confusion comes because after the horsemen are described, this passage comes:

I'm still waiting for the Beastmaster horseman to catch on

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

Woah, never knew that. So a more fitting set (if you just used that passage) would be War, Famine, Pestilence and Beasts?

On the one hand I can see why the eventual set picked Death.

On the other hand, the horseman of beasts would be fantastic and apocalyptic in a way that Famine and Pestilence just couldn't match. I imagine him being followed by rings of circling birds and leading an army of war-hardened bears and rhinoceroses and just wrecking poo poo up.

e: Beaten like the pale horse.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The fourth horseman is Ants.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

We can't handle biblical references.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

euphronius posted:

We can't handle biblical references.

No we "get" them. We just think they're stupid.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Also Revelations is the ramblings of an insane monk so everything in it is hilarious.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Also Revelations is the ramblings of an insane monk so everything in it is hilarious.

Not as funny as the modern interpretations of those insane ramblings. Floating medusa heads? Totally helicopters man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seriously one of the bigger obstacles to biometrics are people that think it's the mark of the Beast.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Madmarker posted:

If it weren't a Ramirez I'd say this is some sort of surrealist anti-cartoon, where there is meaning in non-meaning, or some other artsy nonsense. However, looking at this thing, WHAT THE HELL DOES IT MEAN? It's not overly offensive, but it makes no Goddamn sense. It's like a Zen Koan in picture form.

"Look at me! I did a thing that takes literally no sides on anything, and thus any hack IBD writer can run any article with this thing beside it and it would 'work'!"

Crain posted:

Honestly I'm gonna give him credit for not just locking comments on that.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

quote:

New comments have been disabled for this post by a blog administrator.

Mehuyael posted:

Not as funny as the modern interpretations of those insane ramblings. Floating medusa heads? Totally helicopters man.

Wait, did I miss something? When did THe Book of Revelations turn into Castlevania?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Even more hilarious is the concept of hell coming from a guy who went to the place where Pink Floyd filmed "Echoes" and got high from the volcanic fumes in the grand tradition of religious things coming from people getting high from volcanic fumes.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You don't get to shift your criticism instantly from "The US just sits and watches as ISIS murders countless people, and they just protect their oil!" into "How DARE you get involved in the fight against ISIS you filthy imperialists" and now into "Heh looks like you're doing nothing at all huh?"
Yes, you can? This is obviously complicated because it's not black and white, so I'll spell out what seems like Latuff's views on the current situation in the Middle East for future reference:

Israel is bad. Sisi's Egypt is bad. Saudi-Arabia and their tiny friends in the peninsula are bad. Iran is bad. In Iraq, IS is bad and Maliki is too. In Syria, Assad is bad, the Islamic rebels are bad, the non-Islamic rebels are also bad, but the people of Syria are good. The Palistinians, Kurds and sometimes the Lebanese own. America and the West are bad. Nobody cares about Jordan.

Now, it used to be simple. The Middle East used to dog-pile onto those three groups that own and things were pretty clear-cut. But now they're also fighting amongst each other, so things become more difficult. For instance, in Syria, Latuff obviously hates all three parties equally and roots for the Syrian population. I don't think that's an unreasonable stance to take on its own and it's certainly the safest in dirty civil wars like this one. That's also not very hard to understand on its own. However, this is where it gets complicated - America is becoming increasingly involved. Now, to an extent, people are right in saying that Latuff sees the US as the Great Satan. But if you look at America's foreign policy over the years, it's fairly easy to start agreeing with him on this. America is terrible when it comes to its foreign policy - on purpose or accidentally, they gently caress poo poo up. Latuff's mistake is not this, despite your vague sense of patriotism telling you otherwise.

Before coming to his actual mistake, I'll side-track to address something which will inevitably be thrown in my face - the cartoons where countries like Russia, China or Iran and people like Assad are seemingly held up as heroes for stopping America. A lot of people who aren't accredited Latuff experts like me will see this and think, maybe reasonably, that Latuff supports these terrible countries. He doesn't. Because if you leaf through his archives, you'll find enough cartoons decrying these very regimes and these very people. The main difference between these two sets of cartoons is, of course, if America is involved. So this brings up a second group of people who assume Latuff is just rabidly anti-American and will blindly oppose anything America does. Maybe somebody in that group of people will ironically type "Amerikkka." However, Latuff's stance comes from a reasonable concern - Latuff does oppose any involvement in any conflict or any country, yes, but then, he has a very rich history of situations where American involvement hosed poo poo up completely to fall back on. Agree with it or not, but opposing all American interventionism isn't a view limited to rabid, foaming at the mouth anti-Americans. There's actually plenty of evidence to back it up.

However, this is where Latuff's problem pops up. His problem is that he's guided by the assumption that everything America does is done maliciously and on purpose. He's built America up as a villain, and while they certainly play the role plenty of times, he's basically overestimating America. American foreign policy isn't a guided arrow of imperialism and greed, it's a history of cock-ups, opportunism and incompetence. Latuff looks at the ruins left in America's wake and assumes they made this trail of carnage for nefarious purposes. However, off screen, a giant Uncle Sam is stumbling around, a chamberpot on his head like in a slapstick silent movie, accidentally destroying everything he passes. The difference between the two versions is subtle - the result is the same, anyway -, but it strongly influences Latuffs work and if you don't get this, his views become impossible to get to the point where they're infuriating.

And the clearest representation of this error was in the recent cartoons which you described as "How DARE you get involved in the fight against ISIS you filthy imperialists." That was the cartoon where Obama killed the scape-goat. People didn't really get this cartoon and were understandably upset by it - because it is wrong. Just not for the reason they thought it was. Again Latuff puts up America as an evil puppet-master, now using the fight against ISIS as an excuse to interfere in Syria. That's America's Grand Plan and Latuff's mistake. Because America doesn't have a grand plan. But Latuff needs America to have one, so he puzzled one together. No doubt, America has strategic and economic interests in doing what it's doing - states don't do anything unless they gain something in some way. But it's not the main drive behind America's intervention. In fact, there is no main drive. Just a bunch of confusing and unclear reasons that worked together and finally managed to push America into all of this. But because Latuff doesn't understand this, he makes cartoons like this. And it's utterly confusing for much of his audience. You can see it in much of his controversial work, you'll find.

This is just an overall explanation of Latuff, but as to your post, there really isn't a jump between the positions you posted. Latuff is anti-ISIS and that's clear in all three of those positions. The second one may complicate things, but it's specifically talking about imperialism and interfering in Syria, rather than getting involved against ISIS. I'm obviously not a mind-reader, but it seems to me like Latuff might even support getting involved against ISIS - as long as Syria is left out of it. So his views have been consistent through all of this.

Anyway, that was a big post on Carlos Latuff.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Fulchrum posted:

Wait, did I miss something? When did THe Book of Revelations turn into Castlevania?

Chapter 9, verse 7. Horse-locust-scorpions with armor, the hair of women, and the teeth of lions. I'm not really sure how to picture them, but "floating Medusa head" seems more fitting than "helicopter."

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SerialKilldeer posted:

Chapter 9, verse 7. Horse-locust-scorpions with armor, the hair of women, and the teeth of lions. I'm not really sure how to picture them, but "floating Medusa head" seems more fitting than "helicopter."

Sorry, for some reason I remembered it as floating woman heads with long hair or something. I saw it on a dumb History Channel show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but if you were an ancient person and saw helicopters in a vision, wouldn't scorpion horse locusts be a reasonable interpretation?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Seriously one of the bigger obstacles to biometrics are people that think it's the mark of the Beast.

I just learned earlier today that Hobby Lobby doesn't use barcodes in its stores for the same reason.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

R. Mute posted:

However, this is where Latuff's problem pops up. His problem is that he's guided by the assumption that everything America does is done maliciously and on purpose. He's built America up as a villain, and while they certainly play the role plenty of times, he's basically overestimating America. American foreign policy isn't a guided arrow of imperialism and greed, it's a history of cock-ups, opportunism and incompetence. Latuff looks at the ruins left in America's wake and assumes they made this trail of carnage for nefarious purposes. However, off screen, a giant Uncle Sam is stumbling around, a chamberpot on his head like in a slapstick silent movie, accidentally destroying everything he passes. The difference between the two versions is subtle - the result is the same, anyway -, but it strongly influences Latuffs work and if you don't get this, his views become impossible to get to the point where they're infuriating.

In my own head, giant Uncle Sam is stumbling around blindly while little men with sticks and ropes labeled "Debt" and "Military Industrial Complex" and "Mainstream Media" prod and pull him.

Or, what I actually think, is the blind behemoth is nudged into the right direction by interest groups and capitalism - what he destroys isn't "intentional" but he was pushed in the general direction by those who'd gain.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

zoux posted:

Yeah but if you were an ancient person and saw helicopters in a vision, wouldn't scorpion horse locusts be a reasonable interpretation?

Hmm, helicopters are kind of shaped like dragonflies. Not sure how they resemble horses, or how to account for the teeth and hair.

Also, it's been a while since I read Revelation, but the locust-copters are just one of many weird chimerical creatures-- seven-headed monsters, animate candlesticks, a bleeding lamb with many eyes... I doubt those could all be explained as military vehicles.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

1stGear posted:

I didn't. In my defense, Combs has been a shithead before:

She got them DSLs.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

She got them DSLs.
I knew that reminded me of Horsey for a reason.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Internet Webguy posted:

Is it just me or does this seem borderline racist?

Eh, not really although I can see why you might say that. She apparently is really into salsa dancing irl :shrug:

http://www.npr.org/2014/10/07/353515075/how-justice-sotomayor-is-busting-the-supreme-courts-steady-rhythms

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Welp, there we go. Back to unrepentant racist shithead with no redeeming values instead of an unrepentant racist shithead with some integrity.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

From what I understand, Biblical scholars tend to think this refers to the cavalry of the Parthian Empire, which had apparently been rattling sabres at Rome around the time Revelations was written. Most of the psychedelic imagery is supposed to refer to 1st century geopolitics. It was basically a literary political cartoon, we just don't have the labels.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Hmm, helicopters are kind of shaped like dragonflies. Not sure how they resemble horses, or how to account for the teeth and hair.

Also, it's been a while since I read Revelation, but the locust-copters are just one of many weird chimerical creatures-- seven-headed monsters, animate candlesticks, a bleeding lamb with many eyes... I doubt those could all be explained as military vehicles.

The thing is, this interpretation isn't completely wrong; it's just two millennia too late.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 7, 2014

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

It's pretty simple. I used to post in the Dota 2 thread, made fun of a thread favourite poster, he had a dumb little meltdown over it and Zoolooman vindictively banned me and presumably gave me a red title. Now whenever I post anything that someone doesn't like I get at least one "HEH, you sure have a red title!" posts and then I tell this story and waste everyone's time. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

It's pretty simple. I used to post in the Dota 2 thread, made fun of a thread favourite poster, he had a dumb little meltdown over it and Zoolooman vindictively banned me and presumably gave me a red title. Now whenever I post anything that someone doesn't like I get at least one "HEH, you sure have a red title!" posts and then I tell this story and waste everyone's time. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I dunno, it seems like a fairly accurate description of your posting style.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

stubblyhead posted:

I just learned earlier today that Hobby Lobby doesn't use barcodes in its stores for the same reason.

Please let it be Mark of the Beast. Please let it be Mark of the Beast. :pray:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uh yeah it's mark of the Beast, like he said?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I read "for some reason"...

for some reason. :v:

"Maybe we shouldn't have called the surveillance system ISIS..."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

SinetheGuy posted:

From what I understand, Biblical scholars tend to think this refers to the cavalry of the Parthian Empire, which had apparently been rattling sabres at Rome around the time Revelations was written. Most of the psychedelic imagery is supposed to refer to 1st century geopolitics. It was basically a literary political cartoon, we just don't have the labels.

I'm liking this idea of keeping minor derails within the context of the tread by explaining things in terms of political cartoons.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

R. Mute posted:

Anyway, that was a big post on Carlos Latuff.

For future reference, R. Mute, any opinions that consist of anything more substantial than "gently caress you" must be submitted as an edited cartoon, an artist-themed fanfiction, or a set of lyrics to fit a piece of pop-culture music.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

KoldPT posted:

i loving hate latuff sometimes
:allears: Oh Latuff, the US isn't warmongering enough for you?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

For future reference, R. Mute, any opinions that consist of anything more substantial than "gently caress you" must be submitted as a cartoon, an artist-themed fanfiction, or a set of lyrics to fit a piece of pop-culture music.
I committed a grave sin in the eyes of my thread forefathers. I am truly ashamed.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

SerialKilldeer posted:

Humvees, A-10s, and Nimitz-class aircraft carriers, respectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Randler posted:

I read "for some reason"...

for some reason. :v:

"Maybe we shouldn't have called the surveillance system ISIS..."

Now Europe will have to dump the band for a real U2!

• Locked thread