Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
So, correct me if I'm wrong but EVGA is poo poo for the 9xx cards but MSI is the best?

is this opposite world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Well MSI was top tier last gen too. I've been out of the loop for :siren: days :siren: but as far as I know EVGA cards are just noisier than the others. This is highly relative too, and a lot of people coming off much louder old cards couldn't care less.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My reference Zotac 980 came in yesterday and is such a huge improvement over my replaced 580Sli at 1440p that it's not even funny. I can run Mordor on ultra preset and get a few dips below 60FPS, but it's still entirely playable and smooth. And this is on a ancient i5-750 that's been oc'ed to 3.6 GHz. I'm excited to see how my Haswell refresh build improved things once I get that installed. I noticed some pretty significant CPU bottlenecking in BF4 as the GPU maxed out at 80% utilization.

And the temps and fan noise, don't get me started on that. I can actually hear my ancient HDD seek!

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
So how are people doing with overclocking their shiny new 970's or 980's?
I didn't plan on overclocking my MSI 970, but it had some trouble after turning up some new graphic settings in a game I like so I decided to try overclocking my GPU for the first time.

I'm new to OC'ing the GPU and didn't want to overdo it, so my goal is to give it the best overclock without raising the voltage.

With MSI Afterburner, I put it to 110% power limit (the max), +135 to the core, and +500 to the memory.

3D Mark Firestrike score without OC'ing was 9,362 (keep in mind though I have a 2500k processor, so that probably hurts my overall score a bit).
Overclocked with the above settings I got 10,382 :)
On top of that the game I was having FPS issues with no longer has issues.

How much higher do you imagine I can overclock this beast without raising voltage? The reason I don't want to raise the voltage is I'm worried about frying my new card or the temp going too high (I stick to the same principle when I overclock my CPU).

I'm really glad I bought a 970.

If anyone is interested in a GTX 760 SC from EVGA, I'm willing to sell mine for $150 shipped just to get rid of the thing (never overclocked it, great card, just need to apply a little air-duster to it before shipping it).

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Swartz posted:

I didn't plan on overclocking my MSI 970, but it had some trouble after turning up some new graphic settings in a game I like so I decided to try overclocking my GPU for the first time.

I'm new to OC'ing the GPU and didn't want to overdo it, so my goal is to give it the best overclock without raising the voltage.

With MSI Afterburner, I put it to 110% power limit (the max), +135 to the core, and +500 to the memory.

3D Mark Firestrike score without OC'ing was 9,362 (keep in mind though I have a 2500k processor, so that probably hurts my overall score a bit).

How much higher do you imagine I can overclock this beast without raising voltage? The reason I don't want to raise the voltage is I'm worried about frying my new card or the temp going too high (I stick to the same principle when I overclock my CPU).

If anyone is interested in a GTX 760 SC from EVGA, I'm willing to sell mine for $150 shipped just to get rid of the thing (never overclocked it, great card, just need to apply a little air-duster to it before shipping it).

Someone might call me out on this but software overvolting gpus is very tame. I simply wouldn't worry in the slightest. It's nothing like CPU overclocking. Plus the overclocking numbers this time around are borderline crazy, definitely unexpected, and worth everyone's time if they have even the slightest need. Tons and tons of people run at the hard limit on the cards (via bios altering), which is a whole 200 mv on top of the 75mv they give you to play with via software.

There are threads that are hundreds of pages long on just specific cards discussing bios overvolting, I wouldn't worry about "frying" your card with the software tools they give you

+105% PT + 75mv all day every day

Beck
Dec 8, 2003
It's almost impossible to damage a Nvidia card without doing a bios hack, which you can't do on accident. They're very strict on how much voltage you can apply, and it's in the Very Safe zone.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Swartz posted:

So is that 8GHz effective on the memory? If I go beyond 350 on the slider (7.7GHz effective i think) I get artifacts and driver crashes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So what software can I use that will lock the frame rate of a GTX 970 card to a number of my choosing?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

DarthBlingBling posted:

So is that 8GHz effective on the memory? If I go beyond 350 on the slider (7.7GHz effective i think) I get artifacts and driver crashes.

There is a huge amount of luck with memory overclocking in my experience. It greatly depends on the brand of memory used, and even that can change over the life of the same model. This is in contrast to the GPU chip itself which, in the past, they virtually all overclocked to the same clocks regardless of brand or trim level.

Getting 7.7 used to be considered very good. Now it may be a little disheartening when there are reports of 8.0+ (8.8 even? lol!) but there will certainly be diminishing returns at some point.

This past year I found an almost 1.0 ghz in overclocking difference between various brands of memory even with the same cards, although usually less of a difference.

GreatGreen posted:

So what software can I use that will lock the frame rate of a GTX 970 card to a number of my choosing?

Easiest was EVGA precision, although that was unavailable for a while and MSI afterburner does it too when you turn on OSD fps monitoring (which unlocks the rivatuner control panel, which is where you put in your fps target)

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DarthBlingBling posted:

What brand card do you have? I have the MSI Gaming one and it handles 8Ghz effective without issues.
If you also have the MSI Gaming one, maybe you just have bad luck and should RMA for a new one?

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
MSI Twinfrozr or something. Can't be bothered sending back for a slightly faster OC. Reviews were saying they managed 7.8 max on the MSI without issue so was just surprised when I saw people getting 8+. THought the 8.8s were done on the 980?

Assuming you're having no issues in games?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

7.7 to 7.8 is definitely within the margin of error and I wouldn't even bother. You're right that 8.8 thing was a little preview for a 980

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Welp...just ordered 2 EVGA 980 SC cards. Says they'll be here by the end of this month. So still plenty of time to change my mind if I decide to.

I'm so weak.

And a reminder. I play at 11.5 million pixels. 3.5 million more than a 4k res.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

veedubfreak posted:

Welp...just ordered 2 EVGA 980 SC cards. Says they'll be here by the end of this month. So still plenty of time to change my mind if I decide to.

I'm so weak.

And a reminder. I play at 11.5 million pixels. 3.5 million more than a 4k res.

What res is this? I don't even understand.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Twerk from Home posted:

triple 2560x1440.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

It's called the god resolution ;)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Stanley Pain posted:

No, that was my triple 30" setup. But it didn't work for poo poo on nvidia cards so I "downgraded" to the triple 27" and sold the 30s.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

DarthBlingBling posted:

MSI Twinfrozr or something. Can't be bothered sending back for a slightly faster OC. Reviews were saying they managed 7.8 max on the MSI without issue so was just surprised when I saw people getting 8+. THought the 8.8s were done on the 980?

Assuming you're having no issues in games?

Sounds about right, I can benchmark at 8GHz on my MSI Twinfrozr but if I game with it I get driver crashes. 7.8~GHz is solidly stable. The core gets up to around 1.8GHz with boost

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Why don't more people recommend the gigabyte card with 3 display ports? It seems like a better card than the MSI.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming-review,27.html

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Stanley Pain posted:

Then what do you call a triple 4k setup?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

r0ck0 posted:

Why don't more people recommend the gigabyte card with 3 display ports? It seems like a better card than the MSI.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-970-g1-gaming-review,27.html

Gigabyte has a bad reputation from their motherboards, making people cautious about buying a graphics card they make. Also the MSI is quieter because the fans can turn off at idle, which the Gigabyte's fans don't do.

I do kind of wish the MSI had the ports that the Gigabyte has though, even though I probably won't own three displays during its life that the equivalent of a DVI output for each won't be good enough for.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Just got my evga $30 refurb open box GT 620 2GB, looking to get some real OC numbers out of this but I can't seem to get MSI afterburner to recognize it (?). Looking for 60 fps 1440p in BF4 minimum but willing to compromise a little

edit: incredibly this piece of poo poo is louder than a 780ti and im just on my desktop

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jisforjosh posted:

Sounds about right, I can benchmark at 8GHz on my MSI Twinfrozr but if I game with it I get driver crashes. 7.8~GHz is solidly stable. The core gets up to around 1.8GHz with boost

I guess I'm lucky then, as I played Crysis 3 for about 4 hours overclocked at 8ghz and had no artifacts or other issues.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Hace posted:

3 displays? But you only have 2 eyes!

On topic: Is 750 ti still the way to go if I'm looking for something near silent and doesn't require external power?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^yep.

Hace posted:

Overkill. Even at 3x1440 is pretty nutty.

3x4k is like 24 million pixels. That's more than twice what I'm running. Heh, good luck getting above 10 fps.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

1gnoirents posted:

Just got my evga $30 refurb open box GT 620 2GB, looking to get some real OC numbers out of this but I can't seem to get MSI afterburner to recognize it (?). Looking for 60 fps 1440p in BF4 minimum but willing to compromise a little

edit: incredibly this piece of poo poo is louder than a 780ti and im just on my desktop

e: nevermind

Kornjaca
Mar 19, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

I can highly recommend the G1 970 from gigabyte. Best part is, you can peel of the sticker from your fans and still have a fully functional card :v:.

e: + it's pretty quiet as well.

Kornjaca fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 8, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Kornjaca posted:

I can highly recommend the G1 970 from gigabyte. Best part is, you can peel of the sticker from your fans and still have a fully functional card :v:.

e: + it's pretty quiet as well.

This guy shows the gigabyte card is the only one that doesn't throttle when overclocked. Also has a direct cooled VRM heatsink.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blower-style coolers are generally a safer bet for mITX, yeah?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Safer yes, but a number of cases can handle open air. I don't know if that includes the Sugoes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There was some notion that Nvidia skipped the 800 series to use for notebook cards, but they're just going with 980M and 970M: http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/07/nvidia-s-maxwell-architecture-brings-desktop-class-performance-a/ What's up with that?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

800M has come and gone

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Josh Lyman posted:

There was some notion that Nvidia skipped the 800 series to use for notebook cards, but they're just going with 980M and 970M: http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/07/nvidia-s-maxwell-architecture-brings-desktop-class-performance-a/ What's up with that?

Yeah they did have the 800 series for notebooks

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Probably too confusing with their last great 8800GTX etc? :v:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Hughmoris posted:

Let me know how it goes. I'm looking at upgrading from a 460. :smith:

Not that these are super powerful games, but the few I tested with their own benchmarks before show a drastic improvement.

1920x1200, all settings to max.

Metro 2033
470 average FPS: 16
970 average FPS: 61

Call of Pripyat
470 average FPS: 53
970 average FPS: 133

Payday 2 seems to have gone from 45-60 to 70-100+ from looking at FRAPS. Seems like it'll be a nice card, I can actually play Metro now. :toot:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Here's my set-up. 8Gb RAM,i5 2500k OC'd to 4.3 GHz. GTX 670 2GB GPU. 22 inch Monitor at 1920X1080, and a new 650 PSU.
I seem to get 50-60 FPS on most demanding games usually set to Ultra, which I think is decent.

I'm looking at the new 980 card, but am wondering if I'd notice any differences at that res, or if my CPU might be a bottle neck, making the upgrade not efficient?
I might upgrade to a 27 inch monitor in the future, so that might factor in.

Last concern - getting a 980 now, assuming the 980ti may come out not long after might make me regret jumping on it now. I'm guessing there's no word on a ti version ,and if so, it might be a good 6-12 months away?

EDIT VVV Yeah, that's what I was sort of wondering. I'm pretty happy with my set up now, and I guess unless I upgrade to a higher res, there's not much point in upgrading the card.
I not that much up to speed on the latest stuff, and this thread has always pointed me in the right direction. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 8, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

A 980 for 1080p would be very unnecessary, a 980ti (whatever that may end up being) even more so

edit: to clarify, it doesn't sound like you even really have a want or a need for something that powerful anyways. That would be a edge case for 3rd party textures for very demanding games or SSAA to the max all the time for everything, and even then it might not work the way you think since sometimes those things simply don't work very well.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 8, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

Last concern - getting a 980 now, assuming the 980ti may come out not long after might make me regret jumping on it now. I'm guessing there's no word on a ti version ,and if so, it might be a good 6-12 months away?
It would probably have to be a new design (GM210?) since GM204 is already a fully-enabled chip. I'm guessing it's at least 6 months out since we don't have any solid rumors about it. NVIDIA is still probably trying to decide what to do about 20nm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

NVIDIA is still probably trying to decide what to do about 20nm.
"With the 9xx series cards we can probably just sit here and do nothing for awhile and watch AMD freak the gently caress out"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Depends on the case. Plenty of mITX cases are designed so that an open air GPU can draw fresh air through a vent directly over the fans - bitfenix prodigy, obsidian 250D, Carbide 380t, silverstone RVZ01, and a bunch more.