Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

CommonShore posted:

Yeah after posting I checked their website. No retailers in Canada. One goofball specialty online store wants $6/bottle + $12 shipping for one. gently caress that.

From looking at the colour and descriptions I've read, I've been imagining it as a smokier/oaky version of Franks. Am I way off?

Yeah, it's definitely just more a pure pepper and vinegar flavor. Plain, simple, and delicious. The Xtra hot is just more of the same with a bit more of a kick.

I wish I could find a good source on the Xtra hot. Where my parents lives, they usually have the small bottles for $1 at Wal-Mart and I haven't been able to find anything online that's anywhere near that cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Senior Funkenstien posted:

These bad boys right here. Only tried the one on the far left so far and its kinda like a mix between rooster sauce and crystal hot sauce. Awesome on pizza.

I've tried the Habanero Sharkbite variety in the middle of your picture. It's pretty good on, well, anything.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Fooley posted:

I just made this.

Random parts of my hands are burning and I'm probably going to burn my dick off the next time I pee, but it was worth it.

Just made this, with the shittiest habeneros, an unripe mango, and subbing most of the lime juice for lovely grapefruit because one of my apartment-mates used two of my limes. It's still loving amazing. Currently eating it on dal.

Karia fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 5, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My hot sauce selection was getting a bit too thinned out and I decided to hit up a store with better selection than my usual grocer.

Louisiana - Good. Less vinegary and spicy than Tabasco with a pretty decent pepper flavor. Nothing special but a good generic hot sauce. Gets points for an ingredients list of chilies, vinegar, and salt.

Valentina extra hot - Really good with a deeper and more complex flavor than the price would suggest with a little kick of spice. It is on my list to keep in stock in the pantry at all times, now.

El Yucateco red - Meh. It's fine, but there are better general hot sauces out there.

El Yucateco green - Really good and I can see it playing very well with cilantro and limes on carnitas/tacos/anything that could get some pep from a brightish sauce with a fair hint of heat. Also on the permanent stock list.

El Yucateco black - Smokey, a nice spice level, and goes great on roasted foods you wish had been grilled or barbecued. It would be kickass with carnitas or spritzed on indoor-made chili. Not terribly versatile, but delicious.

E: ooo

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 5, 2014

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
To be perfect is to be unable to improve any further.
We made our own hot sauce from habaneros we grew ourselves!

I then tried to put it into a non-heat-proof glass jar...

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

:supaburn: My chest burns just thinking about that cleanup.

Also, I made Nosmo's mango habanero sauce this morning and it filled three eight ounce mason jars with a partial custard cup left over. As I walked by the food processor bowl while putting some things away at the end, I mindlessly wiped a full finger of sauce off the side because the mango scent was delicious and ate it. It hurt like a motherfucker and was worth it as my eyes watered, nose ran like a faucet, and throat burned.

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.

KuroMayuri posted:

We made our own hot sauce from habaneros we grew ourselves!

I then tried to put it into a non-heat-proof glass jar...

All of those home grown peppers mixed with shattered glass... That's a bummer.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
The glass is just a spice enhancer. When the little bits cut up your mouth, then you'll really feel that delicious capsaicin burn.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

xergm posted:

The glass is just a spice enhancer. When the little bits cut up your mouth, then you'll really feel that delicious capsaicin burn.

And like all good hot sauce experiences, it does the same on the way out! :v:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just picked up some Nando's Peri Peri sauce because I've always heard Nando's is a great chicken restaurant (we don't have any in the Southeast), and I always see that bottle of sauce on the top shelf of the little section of British foods at Publix. It was almost $4 for the small glass bottle, but this time I splurged, and it is great so far.

I made New York halal street cart-style chicken and rice with the creamy white sauce, based on a recipe I found online. Unfortunately, the rice (which I cooked with low-sodium chicken broth) came out really bland and boring, but the white sauce and Peri Peri really saved it. It is tangy, vinegary, and fruity, not too spicy (I got the medium because I'm not hardcore like most of you), and different from any of my regular hot sauces. I always keep Tabasco Chipotle, Crystal, and Thai sweet chili sauce on hand, and this is a nice addition to my collection.

Since I prefer sauces that are thicker and either sweet or smoky as well as spicy, what should I try next? I've heard good things about Tiger Sauce and Pickapeppa.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 8, 2014

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Hear me now, bredren. I and I pon di Scotch Bonnet ting.

Jamaican heat fi send a duppyman to Jah.

In all actuality, it's not really that hot, but Scotch Bonnets have a truly amazing flavor that makes a great curry dish or marinade.

Karmakazi
Dec 24, 2013
Big props to Blair's, love the company, snacks, Salas and sauces. Right now I'm heavy into their death rain nitro dry rub, which I use as salt & pepper, because it adds nice heat to anything, particularly foods sauce doesn't go well with. Death sauce is a standard staple in my kitchen, and should be in yours too.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'm about to buy a gallon of Cholula off Amazon. Any recommendations for an easily refillable hot sauce bottle? I'd rather not mess around with funnels if I can help it.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

terre packet posted:

I'm about to buy a gallon of Cholula off Amazon. Any recommendations for an easily refillable hot sauce bottle? I'd rather not mess around with funnels if I can help it.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/condiments?productId=10025902

You'd have to be careful with pouring but it should be open enough that it wont be difficult. Maybe check Target/Wal Mart too.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Fooley posted:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/condiments?productId=10025902

You'd have to be careful with pouring but it should be open enough that it wont be difficult. Maybe check Target/Wal Mart too.

I use similiar bottles for all my homemade hot sauces, I think I got mine at Publix. They work out great as they are like the same volume as the mason jars I use to store my sauce in. I use a funnel to fill mine though.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Tried this out:

It's loving disgusting. Thick, sweet, gummy, sour. I hate it, won't be doing that again. Also it's a glass bottle with a thin neck, like those old ketchup bottles.

I picked up a bottle of Dave's Insanity but I'm not sure if I want to open it or what to do with it, still working my way up from my Sriracha addiction.

Also, not sure where all you can get this, but we have this brand of salsa in Texas and it's wonderful:

I like the more vinegary tasting salsa, and this one has that with plenty of kick. It's on the heat level of that garlic red pepper sauce Huy Fong makes, except it's a more-runny salsa for topping/dipping. Not totally smooth, but the vegetable bits are finely chopped.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dave's Insanity is good for kicking up big batches of soup. I used to put some in kale soup whenever I made it or was given a few delicious gallons of beany/porky goodness by crotchety Portuguese sisters.

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
Only 3 lovers of the default mexican sauce in socal? I get points each time I ask for some at my mexican friend's houses.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

oxyrosis posted:

Only 3 lovers of the default mexican sauce in socal? I get points each time I ask for some at my mexican friend's house

I don't recall if I've had it before or not, but I bought a bottle at the same time as the stuff above. Maybe I'll use it on my eggs tomorrow.

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
Tapatio is one of the best general purpose hot sauces, true.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

They work in some amazing things like dates, carrots, and various varieties of smoked peppers (depending on the label) to give them a great flavor profile.
The 'extra mild' versions of the sauces don't count as 'hot sauce', but they're just plain delicious. I've used some of them as direct bastes on grilled chicken with awesome results.
The upper end ones tend to come in somewhere above sriracha and the lower end Dave's insanity stuff, so it runs the gamut, but the flavors kick rear end.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

Pioneer42 posted:

This is normally posted in every GWS hot sauce thread, but hasn't been seen in this one yet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Mango_Habanero_Hot_Sauce

All credit goes to NosmoKing. This is a good (and easy) recipe that was posted here a few years ago. It's a great start to learning to make and customize your own hot sauces.

Holy poo poo made this today and it is soooo good. Kinda eye balled all of the ingredients, used scotch bonnet peppers instead of habenero, and threw in an ambarella along with the mango but hot drat is this stuff good.

Def do this goons, experiment with different fruits!

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Hypnolobster posted:

I have this serious fetish for the Cholula chipotle version.

Good lord it's just so perfect. Lots of flavor, not tons of heat.

I otherwise douse everything with the regular Cholula or Tapatio.

I really like the lime version (my 2 year old apparently does too considering he drank it straight out of the bottle and cried when we took it away).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I came here to post these guys. Really, really good. Their salsa verde is a fantastic salsa verde, it really hits all the notes I want. Their extra spicey adds a bit of a kick but is mild enough for my wife. I spice it up with some Dave's Insanity.

Their extra spicey with Dave's Insanity on Lamb is unbelievably good. Just sublime.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thank you, now I have to try these.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Goya: Ever complain that Tabasco is too much vinegar and not enough pepper on the palate while the heat level is a nice general use setting? Grab a bottle of this. The pepper flavor is nice and juicy while still being a bit mild to play well as a general use red sauce with the vinegar in the background and a nice little heat. Cheapish price as a bonus :) Kicking myself for not trying it sooner, always put it off for some reason.

Veri Peri Veri Hot: God-damned delicious. Garlic and lemon take the main stage while mustard and peppers fill out the edges in this emulsion sauce with a very healthy spice level. I poured some into a little sauce dipping dish and used it straight with some crudités :yum: The heat lingers for a long finish and I really need to try the garlic version and grab some regular and hot to tuck in some stockings.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So far Pickapeppa Sauce tastes like A1 with a little bit of jerk seasoning. I haven't opened my Tiger Sauce yet.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I went out and found Lao Gan Ma in Chinatown. The black bean sauce is the truth.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

i got tired of paying too much for the habanero sauces i'm addicted to. i have no idea what i'm doing. updates to come, after I go and get rubber gloves

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

i got tired of paying too much for the habanero sauces i'm addicted to. i have no idea what i'm doing. updates to come, after I go and get rubber gloves

I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So, this spring when I went to the garden center to pick up herbs and peppers to plant, I saw Ghost Pepper plants for $1.50. I pretty much went "Hahahahaha, why not? This will be funny!". Zero fruit for 6 months, and now all of a sudden, the plant exploded with flowers about a week ago, and now I have about 2 dozen baby ghost peppers that should be ripe in about 10 days, assuming we don't get a cold snap in Austin. I am generally a "sriracha is the perfect level of spice" kinda guy, so I am not sure what I should do with them...

1) Make hot sauce. Anyone have any ghost pepper recipes that they like?

2) Since I have taken so much pleasure over the years watching the misery of others, it may be time for me to do my own ghost pepper challenge video and post it

3) No clue

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doom Rooster posted:

So, this spring when I went to the garden center to pick up herbs and peppers to plant, I saw Ghost Pepper plants for $1.50. I pretty much went "Hahahahaha, why not? This will be funny!". Zero fruit for 6 months, and now all of a sudden, the plant exploded with flowers about a week ago, and now I have about 2 dozen baby ghost peppers that should be ripe in about 10 days, assuming we don't get a cold snap in Austin. I am generally a "sriracha is the perfect level of spice" kinda guy, so I am not sure what I should do with them...

1) Make hot sauce. Anyone have any ghost pepper recipes that they like?

2) Since I have taken so much pleasure over the years watching the misery of others, it may be time for me to do my own ghost pepper challenge video and post it

3) No clue

Blend them into a puree, fold it into pastry cream and pipe it into small cream puff shells. Serve them to friends but let them know that there is a secret ingredient.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Eat one raw.

I had them in salsa. Good in hummus too.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Blend them into a puree, fold it into pastry cream and pipe it into small cream puff shells. Serve them to friends but let them know that there is a secret ingredient.

This is so evil. But at least I now now what to do to my cornbread this Thanksgiving.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

They are the chocolate colored ghost peppers... "Chocolate" mousse may need to happen...

Phaxtor
Sep 18, 2014

by XyloJW

Doom Rooster posted:

They are the chocolate colored ghost peppers... "Chocolate" mousse may need to happen...

I'm jealous! I've always wanted to do a homemade ghost pepper hot sauce and I've never been able to find those drat peppers anywhere :colbert: Do you plan on eating any of them raw?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Doom Rooster posted:

Another tip if you want to be really diabolical. I pulled this once on a group of friends with some white habanero spiked ones. Present a plate of them and tell them that one of them contains a secret ingredient, then ask who wants to go first. After your brave volunteer is done having their fun with it you tell everyone else to dig in. However, all of them are spiked with the habanero. But! One of them also has a maraschino cherry or something like that at the center, and that is your secret ingredient. :haw:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

Are you dead?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Another tip if you want to be really diabolical. I pulled this once on a group of friends with some white habanero spiked ones. Present a plate of them and tell them that one of them contains a secret ingredient, then ask who wants to go first. After your brave volunteer is done having their fun with it you tell everyone else to dig in. However, all of them are spiked with the habanero. But! One of them also has a maraschino cherry or something like that at the center, and that is your secret ingredient. :haw:

My friend and I once melted a ChapStick at our apartment, mixed it with very very hot sauce, and let it resolidify and left it around for drunk/high people to use. It was dumb but very funny. The texture was weird but people didn't notice that until they put it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Who the gently caress uses some one else's Chapstick?