Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

My entire colony died as a battery next to my dorm exploded because it got rained on. Only because the shelter wasn't done building yet and it started to rain.

I had that happen to my first colony. Now I make an un-drenchable mountain shed for the batteries. Is there any benefit or penalty for how close batteries are to the generator? Also, is anyone building the conduit walls? It seems kinda like overkill when I could be using my metal to build fuckloads of turrets and mortars :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Have the developers made any statement on whether they plan to add a Z-Axis/Liquid and Liquid physics in the future?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Megasabin posted:

Have the developers made any statement on whether they plan to add a Z-Axis/Liquid and Liquid physics in the future?

No Z axis to my knowledge as the game is trying to not add massive amounts of detail that you would have to pay attention to. Liquids I have no idea about.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there any way to remove installed floors? I want to remove some wood flooring outside to expand my farm but I can't figure out how to remove the flooring.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
I hope he adds in building on old ruins of failed colonies, would be fun to do a succession games where we pass the world folder on to the next guy.. each iteration gets harder as the resources dwindle :)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I put everything I possibly can under a mountain. Makes sieges considerably less terrifying. It'd be nice if using mortars didn't require constant micromanagement, and you could assign shifts.

I also tend to stick a huge clump of batteries in a very safe spot with essential electronic equipment nearby, like a cooktop. I've been in several situations where both my main and backup lines in have been destroyed and I've still been able to cook stuff while I repair it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Why won't my people eat the nutrient paste fromt he machine I made for them? They take the raw potatoes and eat those from the hoppers instead.

As well, how do I get more settlers? 3 isn't enough and I'm on day 20 for my colony.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

No Z axis to my knowledge as the game is trying to not add massive amounts of detail that you would have to pay attention to. Liquids I have no idea about.

Well water is relatively new, but I don't know about physics. I suppose he could add fishing (or a mod could, eventually).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

IAmTheRad posted:

Why won't my people eat the nutrient paste fromt he machine I made for them? They take the raw potatoes and eat those from the hoppers instead.

As well, how do I get more settlers? 3 isn't enough and I'm on day 20 for my colony.

Settlers fall from the sky! :v: To be more serious, there are certain events that will allow you an easy capture/coercion of a person or someone from another colony decides to join yours. There are also occasions that you are attacked by peoples and in fleeing, leave their incapacitated for you to pick over. 20 days is nothing, you'll grow soon enough.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

IAmTheRad posted:

Is it powered? Is it turned on? Are the hoppers directly adjacent to the dispenser?

IAmTheRad posted:

This game is slow, give it time. 20 days is still in the setup phase.

Your main source of new colonists will be capturing and rehabilitating the survivors of raids against you. You can also purchase new people from a slaver, kidnap wandering persons, sometimes survivors of some shipwreck will fall from the sky or if you're very lucky someone will just join of their own free will. Expect to not have enough hands for most of the game, it's stingy with new people and quick to kill your settlers off. This is a game about hardscrabble survival, not peaceful space colony (unless you crank the difficulty all the way down)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Also, I think the hoppers have to be pointed with the open-looking side toward it. I'm not certain on that one, though.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait I can use xml? Can someone write a guide because I'm sititng here leafing through a .dll file trying to make this work using C#

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Is it powered? Is it turned on? Are the hoppers directly adjacent to the dispenser?

This game is slow, give it time. 20 days is still in the setup phase.

Your main source of new colonists will be capturing and rehabilitating the survivors of raids against you. You can also purchase new people from a slaver, kidnap wandering persons, sometimes survivors of some shipwreck will fall from the sky or if you're very lucky someone will just join of their own free will. Expect to not have enough hands for most of the game, it's stingy with new people and quick to kill your settlers off. This is a game about hardscrabble survival, not peaceful space colony (unless you crank the difficulty all the way down)

Well I am using the Builder storyteller just to learn how to actually play the game. The worst I've had was a mad boar rush into my camp trying to kill my builder/cook/hunter named Engie. She was asleep and the boar got in the range of the automatic turret I set up.

You need to turn on the dispenser, it doesn't turn on automatically? I assumed with the potatoes on the hopper that it'd eat them automatically and give out sweet, sweet nutrient paste. Of course now that I have a kitchen my person who does everything except haul goods and plant/harvest crops because I turned those off makes food that's better than the goop from the dispenser.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The Tech Minami mod has really grown on me, sure it's spergy as all hell and having to craft a hammer, tongs and other bits before you craft a toolkit is annoying, but when the first tier battery uses potatoes in its construction I just can't hate it :allears:

Apparently it's still missing a bunch of stuff though, since its a compilation and a few major mods haven't been updated yet. Hopefully that will happen soon so I can immerse myself in it. A few things I especially like is how a bunch of things can only be bought from traders and trade is your gateway to a lot of specialized tech. For example I wasn't able to build the cooking table because nobody had come around to sell me an electric grill yet, so I was living off soup and grilled potatoes which take a little extra effort and micro to make.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, man. I ACCIDENTALLY made the perfect house for my 5 colonists! It has 6 smallish rooms with beds, a back room that acts as storage for everything important, with another door leading out to the mountain that's being mined for metal. It has a prison cell to boot. What rules, though, is that I made it like a Big L and accidentally built two squares too far on the empty rectangle part of the L, so I knocked out 3 tiles and moved it back and ended up making the 4x5 area that it was a part of a patio that's used for cooking. Well, a little lightbulb went off in my head because it's raining in there and it short-circuited. The goddamn roof overhang from when part of it was indoors will protect a cooking stove! LOOOOOOOOVE this game so much, god drat.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Spaseman posted:

Is there any way to remove installed floors? I want to remove some wood flooring outside to expand my farm but I can't figure out how to remove the flooring.

I think that right now flooring permanently changes the tile type. You'd have to research a fertilizer pump and put one in place there to turn it back to soil.

You'd be better off researching hydroponics and switching to that, though, anyway.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok I give up, where are the text string for incidents kept, and where the hell do you create if/and statements in those files.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dangit. My poor colony was just wiped out by a single mechanoid. I shouldn't take only a single greatbow with me on deploy and then spend a lot of time dicking around and not having gunz. This fucker came and annihilated my 5 dudes (EdB loving rules) before even a single trader showed up! :(

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Expect to not have enough hands for most of the game, it's stingy with new people and quick to kill your settlers off.

But really, once you've got your little prison with a few beds and realize you can put all sorts of different people in there from visitors to raiders, I can have as many colonists as I want. I can even send less useful colonists out to meet raiding parties, if they get killed it's cool because I'll either nab one of the raiders or some poor dude will come wandering along soon enough that I could nab.

I happened upon my first nudist. Looking at her thoughts: +10 for being naked? Normally naked is a negative modifier. What the hell. Look at her character sheet, oh nudist. She will wear clothes but she doesn't like it and it obviously makes her happy to be naked. Ok then, run free! Unfortunately she is fat, but the art style means I don't have to really see the details of that. I've also found out that she had cataracts in both eyes and isn't all that great generally.. so the other colonists will only have to bear her jiggling rolls until the next raiding party when she is sent out to 'spearhead' our attack.

Then again if that naked fat blind woman comes back alive and with a raider's head on a pole - she will be lauded as a hero. I may even fix one of her eyes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dude you're weird.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't think a naked blind fat nudist leading a charge is amusing then I can't help you.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

If you don't think a naked blind fat nudist leading a charge is amusing then I can't help you.

He he, keep it coming mate. This game is all about story telling, and god drat, you're good at story telling!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Megasabin posted:

Nice try, but Dwarf Fortress with a good UI will never exist.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Tynan tweeted a picture of someone who's got a mod in the works that allows you to harvest organs from living victims.

Non-tables-breaking image link here: http://i.imgur.com/Loav0kf.png

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Turtlicious posted:

Ok I give up, where are the text string for incidents kept, and where the hell do you create if/and statements in those files.

Get a C# decomplier and decomplie some mods. Do one of the big ones and you will get all sample code you need.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Is metal supposed to be really rare? Besides my first game or two, I've been having difficulty mining it out of mountains :\

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Look for the metal texture on the outside of mountains, it will take longer to find if you just dig straight in.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yep, at least if you don't have a dedicated miner or two. Also, spawning on flatlands or small hills areas can REALLY deny you a supply. That's why there's been mods to expand the theoretical amount to infinite in multiple ways: Plants you grow that yield the metals themselves, OmniGel from Mass Effect you grow and then harvest and convert into metal/stone/etc., mining drill or quarry emplacements you can use to gather some from the ground in an endless amount, and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. It's only theoretical that you can even tap out the metals of a large hills map even, since you're going to have some Mechanoids absolutely destroy your colony long before it matters. :P

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Gah. Guess I was lucky when I first started. Will look for those metal textures.

And yeah, I'm not concerned with tapping out the metals yet, just finding any would be nice.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
If you embark on a mountain square (regardless of what else for that biome) you shouldn't end up running into trouble.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There are other ways. Grow stuff, sell it, buy metal from passing industrial traders.

A big theme of the game is 'find a way to make do with what you have, which is invariable inadequate in some glaring fashion', so I'm skeptical of mods that lift resource limitations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I find it way easier to farm cotton and buy metal with the profits than to mine it myself.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I love making towns in the open so I usually don't have piles of local metal to work with but buying it from passing traders has never been an issue. Just make sure you have enough float to buy up enough metal to last you until the next trader passes by because they sometimes dont' come as often as you like.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

So what is the point of cooking? I had a bad cook that used up so much of my food that it left people to starve. 10 ingrediants to one meal? Do they nourish 10 times better or something?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It's not how fed they are but how much of a psychological boost you get. It really pays off to have a cook that can cook you fine meals asap.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also change the bill of simple meals not to use meat. That way you can run bills of simple meals as a backup and medium/fine meals as a main source, and just send someone out to kill a deer every time the meat stockpile gets a bit low.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

So what is the point of cooking? I had a bad cook that used up so much of my food that it left people to starve. 10 ingrediants to one meal? Do they nourish 10 times better or something?

1 unit of raw food isn't a meal. They take 10 units every time they use the nutrient paste dispenser.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

winterwerefox posted:

Cooked food is more efficient than raw vegetables, a simple meal will get you about 90 nutrition, whereas 10 raw veggies will get you about 50.

Also, as above, fine meals make your colonists happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Hmm, alright. Some reason I had it in my head that it was more like Dwarf Fortress where a unit of food was food, and cooking simply made them happier. I got a 11 skill chef going 12 hours a day now trying to keep up with need for 7 people. Not going too well.