Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

VOR LOC posted:

Got into a huge argument about this on another board. These guys aren't airshow pilots and they're not flying a pitts. It's a 375 million dollar whale and wagging the wings that severely and that low could very well have caused a crash. Had that crew not almost certainly been some kind of training/management pilots they would have gotten fired over that poo poo. Don't believe me how dangerous that is? Go troll youtube for guys dying by playing around at low level in heavy, roll spoiler equipped aircraft.
The pilot who did this was sacked iirc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bp2V-rEnsY

Now imagine engine no.1 went at the exact moment they are at 45 degrees left bank and full opposite aileron in, with a dollop of rudder because why the gently caress not (mind you the 747-8's roll channel is FBW-augmented too... the rudder you see might be feed-forward by the yaw damper from the ailerons).

Tsuru fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
(Cross-posting from the A/T Aviation Megathread.)

I've been flying balloons in Kenya for the last couple years.

I'd like to show you what some of the people here have put together.

Kenya Homemade Aviation: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEmxnW7Ycnl7unD9gilz1qWdO__tlK7cf

I think they've seen pictures of airplanes before.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I sat in a bunch of stuff and thought it was pretty cool that my 73" self could possibly have a shot at things until I got to helicopters. Cobras are TINY. Apaches: TINY. Hueys? TINY. H-60s were alright, though. H-53s are huge. Chevy Suburban huge, with ashtrays and everything. And rear-view mirrors.

H-53s rule.

Try an OH-58 before they scrap them. Makes a JetBanger look spacious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drunkill posted:

47 years ago today the airspeed record was set in the X-15. The SR-71 holds the record for an air breathing aircraft, 3745km/h slower than the X-15.
http://alert5.net/2014/10/02/47-years-ago-today-the-fastest-manned-aircraft-flight-ever/

Here is a minute of footage of the X-15 at the start of the first episode of When We Left Earth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOLHClNTOI

"Neil Armstrong, X-15 Pilot" :v:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

drunkill posted:

47 years ago today the airspeed record was set in the X-15. The SR-71 holds the record for an air breathing aircraft, 3745km/h slower than the X-15.
http://alert5.net/2014/10/02/47-years-ago-today-the-fastest-manned-aircraft-flight-ever/

Here is a minute of footage of the X-15 at the start of the first episode of When We Left Earth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDOLHClNTOI

Yes, but did anyone poo poo in it?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Time for no one's favorite game, name that drone!

So from what I can tell, this is either an XQ-2, a Q-2A, or a Q-2B. Do we have any early American UAV experts?

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 6, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think the inlet arrangement marks it as the Navy variant, the KDA-1. Different engine.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

IPCRESS posted:

Yes, but did anyone poo poo in it?

Major Michael J. Adams probably did poo poo in it.

quote:

A little over a month later, on November 15, 1967, USAF test pilot, Major Michael J. Adams will die when his X-15 enters a violent spin at mach 5 and disintegrates under crushing G-loads. Wreckage is strewn over 60 miles and two states.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
To be fair, when an aircraft goes into a violent spin at Mach 5+, *everyone* inside it shits simply because eventually the body's going to be torn in half at the weakest point. poo poo is poo poo, regardless of what hole, wound, or laceration it escapes from, and a pound of poo poo at 20g suddenly becomes a barbell in the lower intestine.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 6, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
And that's why the SR71 cockpit section mentioned earlier was probably shat in too - it was the remains of a takeoff wreck that the pilot refused to eject from (but didn't die)

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

a pound of poo poo at 20g suddenly becomes a barbell in the lower intestine.

For a moment, I thought I was in the crossfit thread.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

If you ever get a chance to see the SR-71 at Hill AFB I recommend it, has a pretty cool backstory.

It is a SR-71C, the only C model and last SR-71 ever made, nicknamed "The Bastard".

They took the rear from the first YF-12A ever made which was damaged beyond repair in a runway incident August 14, 1966 and combined it with the front of a functional engineering SR-71 mockup used for static testing. It was made to replace the second of two B model trainers that had crashed in 1968 and was ready for it's first flight on March 14, 1969.

I wonder if they'd let you put a camera on a stick (like people do with GoPros) to get some cockpit shots.

Notice the pilots getting ready for their flight in the lower left corner.. heh.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have several photos of that exact blackbird I took not even 3 weeks ago.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

I have several photos of that exact blackbird I took not even 3 weeks ago.

You still haven't posted any pics/reviews.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Here is an old gallery from years ago. I really need to go there again soon. I work one exit away, don't really have an excuse. You should upload your photos, I'd imagine there are quite a few changes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

SybilVimes posted:

And that's why the SR71 cockpit section mentioned earlier was probably shat in too - it was the remains of a takeoff wreck that the pilot refused to eject from (but didn't die)

The one in the Boeing Museum of Flight brought to you by Boeing? I'll be damned, I actually didn't know that. And now that I think about it, for all the times I've been there I'm fairly certain I've never read the associated placard near it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

Yeah.

poo poo.

I'll man up and get some of that up. Reno was tough for action shots but the static displays were OK. I'll do some tomorrow, promise.

Is there a little utility that allows me to resize a crap load of photos in one swoop? Opening each and resizing sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I love this, and the X-32, so much. Derpy motherfucker, and heir to the "so ugly it's cool" look from the F-8/A-7.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

Yeah.

poo poo.

I'll man up and get some of that up. Reno was tough for action shots but the static displays were OK. I'll do some tomorrow, promise.

Is there a little utility that allows me to resize a crap load of photos in one swoop? Opening each and resizing sucks.

Outlook will work. Highlight them, right click->send to->mail recipient.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Still better than the F-35.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

slidebite posted:

Yeah.

poo poo.

Someone rewrote the Windows XP Image Resizer powertoy for Windows 7/8. https://imageresizer.codeplex.com

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

You could also upload the photos and resize them on something like PicResize.com

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Entone posted:

Someone rewrote the Windows XP Image Resizer powertoy for Windows 7/8. https://imageresizer.codeplex.com

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the advice guys. Makes it less of a time consuming task.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

slidebite posted:

Irfanview has batch processing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Mac has an Automator action just for that

Or upload to Imgur and then use timg tags, or just add 'l' (lowercase L) to the end of each filename

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cat Mattress posted:

Irfanview has batch processing.

Correct answer.

Suggesting Outlook to do image manipulation? Shameful.

any proper image manipulation program can do it. Irfanview is free and does good batch processing (get it right once, get it right every time), but it's not the only answer. I use lightroom for everything but I'm the stupid person who shoots in raw and hates photo processing, so don't listen to me, obviously :v:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Oh cool--someone flying something with the Magnus effect. What's the term for these things? Cycloplanes? Something like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8y6gGotwY

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Madurai posted:

Oh cool--someone flying something with the Magnus effect. What's the term for these things? Cycloplanes? Something like that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra8y6gGotwY

Rotorwing, it's right there in the youtube title - although I've also heard fanwing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Godholio posted:

I just did a bulk upload to imgur. Over my limit so I'm getting rid of the really crappy ones, the old point & shoot isn't the best but it's fast at least.

Here is a little something showing the YF12 rear end on the blackbird mentioned earlier.

Pop quiz: What's directly behind it?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 8, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slidebite posted:

Pop quiz: What's directly behind it?

The rope/reel barricade. :colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Gonna guess a Thunderchief.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Correct. Of the weasel variety to be precise.

The Reno shots turned out worse than I hoped. Only going to be a handful of action shots that are even worthwhile.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gunna go with F4 cuz of the double canopy.

e: drat it

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've been meaning to get up to the Hill museum for weeks...keep getting rained out whenever I've got time.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Cal Fire S-2T just went down in Yosemite. :(

https://twitter.com/CALFIRE_PIO/status/519658897473163265
http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2024723171_apxcaliforniawildfire.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I think that's the unit Hoser Satrapa flies with (since I know for sure he flies S-2s in CA) - hopefully it wasn't his.

EDIT: It was a DynCorp pilot that went down, and Hoser flies for them: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hoser-satrapa/23/253/3ab

EDIT 2: Pilot confirmed dead. He was trying to spread retardant on a canyon wall and flew into it, 'disintegrating' by one eyewitness' account. The identity of the pilot won't be released until all immediate family members are notified. =/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 8, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Was at the Miramar Airshow over the weekend and they had a CalFire S-2 from Ramona there. It left halfway through the show, maybe off to fight the Yosemite fire? Hope it wasn't the same one that went down.

If it was a DynCorp S-2, I guess not.

Sad about the pilot.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 8, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

WTF. Are they using differential thrust to compensate for the fact that there is no yaw stability? Tilting the rotors because the elevators are cosmetic?

How can a single-engine procedure work when you have no rudder authority? Total engine loss? Good luck getting the elevators to make that airframe move.

Total engine failure on a V-22 is "bailout". Single engine failure is handled via a pair of gearboxes and a cross airframe driveshaft. So.. there's never a "asyemtrical thrust" situation. If there is, (eg, gearbox becomes metal slush) that too is a "bail out and pray" situation.

Captain Postal posted:

This is what governs the top speed of coaxial helicopters, not the engine. If they go too fast the rotor discs tilt too far and cross, and that's A Bad Thing. There is an explanation of this in one of the DCS Black Shark game manuals.

The solution Boeing is using is a pusher.

Rigid rotors fix the asyemtical lift issue. The pusher propeller is because to get forward thrust on a helicopter you need to tip it forward. With a pusher prop, you don't get the increase in frontal area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
An F-15 just crashed in Lincolnshire (pilot is apparently safe)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-29544064