Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Splizwarf posted:

e: But seriously, yeah, AppRadio head units are loving terrible.

That's disappointing. I was kinda looking forward to getting one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
One of the employees at the dealership where I work bought a 370Z and got a (new) AppRadio put in by an aftermarket shop. We proceeded to spend months attempting to unfuck it for her. It was running Gingerbread. It didn't talk to half the inputs, but which ones varied by the week, apparently at random. Several of the problems she encountered could have been easily fixed in the "Settings" menu; too bad it was greyed out and inaccessible for months!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Guess I'll have to think CarPlay. I was going to ask if they're out yet, but a quick search shows that Pioneer literally just pushed CarPlay update for their units out.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Splizwarf posted:

One of the employees at the dealership where I work bought a 370Z and got a (new) AppRadio put in by an aftermarket shop. We proceeded to spend months attempting to unfuck it for her. It was running Gingerbread. It didn't talk to half the inputs, but which ones varied by the week, apparently at random. Several of the problems she encountered could have been easily fixed in the "Settings" menu; too bad it was greyed out and inaccessible for months!

This isn't appradio. Appradio is a mode and brand of head units made by pioneer as a way of displaying certain apps running on your smart phone on the screen. What you are describing is a head unit running android and apps directly on the unit.

Android head units aren't mature enough for regular use yet but appradio works fine. I use it every day with no issues.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 2, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

GutBomb posted:

This isn't appradio. Appradio is a mode and brand of head units made by pioneer as a way of displaying certain apps running on your smart phone on the screen. What you are describing is a head unit running android and apps directly on the unit.

Android head units aren't mature enough for regular use yet but appradio works fine. I use it every day with no issues.

Interesting. This said "AppRadio" in big blue letters on the screen and self-reported Android version 2.3.1. I don't think it was Pioneer, though; some no-name brand that I've never seen. I'll grab a pic next time it come in.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's funny. Did they get it from eBay or a flea market? Definitely a knockoff if it claims to be appradio

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah AppRadio is specifically a Pioneer thing

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah AppRadio is specifically a Pioneer thing

So if you're really interested in appradio units any of them will work well but I would highly recommend a pioneer head unit with navigation and appradio mode rather than a unit specifically made for appradio. The dedicated Appradio units don't have built in navigation and can only do phone based navigation. Something like the AVIC x950bh is a regular pioneer head unit with navigation and an appradio mode so it can do everything the regular appradio units can, but also do dedicated "no data service required" navigation.

If you're running android and your phone is rooted you can run something called "appradio unchained" which basically just gives you full access to your phone and any apps on it on the head unit screen. if you're not able to run appradio unchained then you are stuck using apps designed for appradio. Basically the app on your phone detects when it's plugged in to the head unit and instead of displaying it's UI on the phone it displays a head unit friendly version of it's UI on the head unit.

A breakdown of how appradio works is that the cable that plugs into the phone provides the video to display on the head unit screen only. all audio is sent over bluetooth, and all touch inputs on the head unit are sent back to the phone via bluetooth. It's a weird setup but it works pretty well.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 2, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's all rather pointless in the long run assuming Google manages to get Android Auto off the ground.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I would be happy to find out I am wrong, because 1) dupersaurus will be happy and 2) I like Pioneer car stuff. It was a couple months ago. That car is a regular here, so I'll get to the bottom of it eventually.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GutBomb posted:

I went ahead and ordered the spec d boomerang lights earlier today and some new bulbs. I'll post some pics after I install this weekend

Follow up: I installed these today and it was a pretty big job to remove the bumper and put it back on all by myself.

I like how they look. Here are a couple terrible photographs.

This is the first time I've ever removed a bumper without breaking a single plastic trim clip

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 4, 2014

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I found this rather interesting video from a PhD student in experimental fluid dynamics. This is the first in a series and he goes through a basic analysis of the MR-2, RX-7, Supra and GT86. Skip to 41:43 if you just want to see the GT86 stuff, but the whole thing is pretty interesting if slightly dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDLzxmJl5I

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Toyota Japan is releasing 100 special TRD edition 86s co-designed with Gazoo.

Wing, body kit, brakes, wheels, seats and a stereo delete.

$66k AUD

Stock engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Laserface posted:

$66k AUD

Stock engine.

For those keeping score, that's 1.5 holden SS utes

also, lol, "luxury car tax" on a GT86.

Speaking of $70,000 86s. Ryan Tuerck finished his "street" FRS. Pictures in order from least insane to most insane.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Powershift posted:

For those keeping score, that's 1.5 holden SS utes

also, lol, "luxury car tax" on a GT86.

Should be noted that this is over twice the price of the base model in australia too.. Its also japan only, but the article was Australia based so just posted the figures.

In regards to Ryan T's car, its nice, but its not really 'street'. I have no idea how drifting got to where it is now, but I wish it went back to factory-internals 4 cylinder cars with an upgraded turbo and bolt on flares instead of this 900HP LS1-powered bullshit.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Throwing an LS engine into a car sure as hell isn't interesting, but it's hard to deny the results.

That being said, it is pretty lame in a Toyobaru.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Solkanar512 posted:

I found this rather interesting video from a PhD student in experimental fluid dynamics. This is the first in a series and he goes through a basic analysis of the MR-2, RX-7, Supra and GT86. Skip to 41:43 if you just want to see the GT86 stuff, but the whole thing is pretty interesting if slightly dry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDLzxmJl5I

This might be the only good post in this thread.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Laserface posted:

$66k AUD

Stock engine.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/10/7/Toyota-Reveals-86-14R60-Limited-Edition-7722983/

The aero bits are pretty cool looking i think.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

Should be noted that this is over twice the price of the base model in australia too.. Its also japan only, but the article was Australia based so just posted the figures.

In regards to Ryan T's car, its nice, but its not really 'street'. I have no idea how drifting got to where it is now, but I wish it went back to factory-internals 4 cylinder cars with an upgraded turbo and bolt on flares instead of this 900HP LS1-powered bullshit.

That looks better than the TRD version europe got, which somehow managed to come with a set of wheels worse looking from the normal models. Again no mechanical changes whatsoever, not even suspension just a different tyre.

Drifting went that way when it got big in america, now everything has to be an overbuilt tubeframe monstrosity with an ls motor. Although that car seems to be running a 1jz or a 2jz idk.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Trying to decide on winter wheels for my SWP BRZ is hard. I am kinda thinking about a set of 16" Enkei Performance RSF5 with Blizzak WS80.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Calidus posted:

Trying to decide on winter wheels for my SWP BRZ is hard. I am kinda thinking about a set of 16" Enkei Performance RSF5 with Blizzak WS80.

I just have 16 inch steelies for mine. 205s too instead of 215s. I'm looking for a set of obnoxious hubcaps for the steelies though.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

GutBomb posted:

I just have 16 inch steelies for mine. 205s too instead of 215s. I'm looking for a set of obnoxious hubcaps for the steelies though.

Steelies + hub caps seem to come out to about $70 a wheel. I can get a cheap alloy wheel for $100. I kinda want to buy a $100-$130 at this point. Are you running 16x6.5 or 16x7?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Calidus posted:

Steelies + hub caps seem to come out to about $70 a wheel. I can get a cheap alloy wheel for $100. I kinda want to buy a $100-$130 at this point. Are you running 16x6.5 or 16x7?

16/6.5 with 205/55/16 blizzak ws70s. It was a rock solid setup for me last winter with no "moments"

The tires gripped much better than the lovely bridgestone all-seasons that the car came with, that's for sure.

I have Pilot Super Sports at the stock size on the stock wheels for my summers now.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Calidus posted:

Simple answer, steelies without hubcaps. One thing I've noticed when running spoked alloy rims with winter tires is that if the snow becomes packed in your wheels because of drifting or a plow forcing it in or something, your car will shake unbearably till you get a stick or something and scrape it out. That can't really happen with something that's mostly closed like a steel wheel. I traded someone some steel winter wheels for alloy spoked winter wheels, I regret that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

evilskillit posted:

Simple answer, steelies without hubcaps. One thing I've noticed when running spoked alloy rims with winter tires is that if the snow becomes packed in your wheels because of drifting or a plow forcing it in or something, your car will shake unbearably till you get a stick or something and scrape it out. That can't really happen with something that's mostly closed like a steel wheel. I traded someone some steel winter wheels for alloy spoked winter wheels, I regret that.

I never really thought about that. If I had big balls I would go rally wheel time with White Sparco Tera.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

Calidus posted:

I never really thought about that. If I had big balls I would go rally wheel time with White Sparco Tera.

Thanks, now I want white rally wheels. :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So I ordered a nameless axleback exhaust, an openflash tablet, TRD springs, and TRD sway bars. Planning on going E85 as there's a station right near me and with the tune it should give some pretty significant power and torque gains. (Possible to approach 200 at the wheels and severely reduce the torque dip)

Only thing I'm worried about is the springs. I live in Boston and it snows here. I usually choose to work from home or wait until the street is plowed on days where the street requires plowing so maybe the moderate 1 inch drop from the TRD springs is no big deal, but does anyone else in the thread have springs/coilovers in a wintry climate and if so, what do you do?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

One winter I drove a Miata on coilovers and I remember having to dodge the ice chunks that fall out of peoples wheel well area. I couldn't just straddle them anymore or they would slam into the rack and pinion or oilpan or whatever. I think as long as you're mostly driving in areas that are plowed right away it would be fine.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

GutBomb posted:

So I ordered a nameless axleback exhaust, an openflash tablet, TRD springs, and TRD sway bars. Planning on going E85 as there's a station right near me and with the tune it should give some pretty significant power and torque gains. (Possible to approach 200 at the wheels and severely reduce the torque dip)

Only thing I'm worried about is the springs. I live in Boston and it snows here. I usually choose to work from home or wait until the street is plowed on days where the street requires plowing so maybe the moderate 1 inch drop from the TRD springs is no big deal, but does anyone else in the thread have springs/coilovers in a wintry climate and if so, what do you do?

The torque dip seems to be primarily due to the constrictive headers, if the goal is to eliminate it then shouldn't one start there? And IIRC doesn't running E85 long term eat away the in-tank fuel filter?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Linux Nazi posted:

The torque dip seems to be primarily due to the constrictive headers, if the goal is to eliminate it then shouldn't one start there? And IIRC doesn't running E85 long term eat away the in-tank fuel filter?

I'll eventually get to headers but not yet. E85 destroying gas tank fuel pumps is a myth. I'm not finding any reports of that happening other than high mileage vehicles that are converted over to e85 late in their life.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

GutBomb posted:

It'll be fine, I live in Boston and my DD S2000 had less ground clearance than the BRZ by a good margin. just get dedicated snows and you're good until the snow is deep enough to beach the car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Muffinpox posted:

It'll be fine, I live in Boston and my DD S2000 had less ground clearance than the BRZ by a good margin. just get dedicated snows and you're good until the snow is deep enough to beach the car.

Yeah I've got a set of wheels with blizzaks and they were great last year so I'm all set with that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I ended up order a set of 16" blizzaks and putting them on a cheap set of alloy wheels. MSW Type 85 were less than $100 each on tire rack.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Random question -

If I leave my fob inside the car and close the doors, does the car automatically lock? I ask because there are secured parts of my workplace where cars are to be left like this in case of an emergency or they're moving a jumbo jet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think if the fob is within range of the receivers used to start the car which are short range around the seat, it won't automatically lock the doors. If they aren't in range of those, I think it can't tell if the fob is inside the car or outside the car.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

bull3964 posted:

I think if the fob is within range of the receivers used to start the car which are short range around the seat, it won't automatically lock the doors. If they aren't in range of those, I think it can't tell if the fob is inside the car or outside the car.

Awesome, thanks!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

bull3964 posted:

I've had rental cars not let me close the trunk (I think it was a Nissan Altima) because the second key fob was in my backpack in the trunk. I spent like 30 seconds trying to slam the trunk closed before I realized what was happening.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

If however you close the trunk with the fob in it, and the doors are already locked, it will not unlock them.

Not that I have any experience with this :gonk:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The fob talks to the TPMS receivers, as far as I know. I'll look it up tomorrow to verify. They triangulate the fob, which is how the car is pretty accurate about whether the fob is inside or outside the car. Leaving your keys in the car would theoretically run the battery down faster, because you're keeping the BCM awake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st Edition ADandD
Aug 31, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I'll eventually get to headers but not yet. E85 destroying gas tank fuel pumps is a myth. I'm not finding any reports of that happening other than high mileage vehicles that are converted over to e85 late in their life.

On most vehicles E85 is worth a lot less HP than you think because your injectors won't pump enough of it unless your car has an E85-specific tune and then magically finds a way to suck in at least, say 15 per cent more air (and that has to go somewhere, hence the headers.) You can use an E85 specific tune with no significant increase in your intake capacity, but all that will happen is your injectors will have to run at a 47 per cent higher duty cycle for the same result at the wheels. That's why people who are using E85 to go fast buy BIG injectors.

Obviously, if you have forced induction happening, this changes things because you actually can shove more air into your engine. E85 allows you to run high boost into high compression with a much higher threshold for detonation, but on an NA motor the relative benefit isn't very high. I'm not saying it's a scam by second-tier gas station chains and independents to keep you coming in, but...

• Locked thread