Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I've grown to appreciate Achewood over a long time of seeing it posted here on the forums, and I finally started reading from the beginning. It's definitely more joke-y in 2001.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

appreciating achewood is easier if you are really baked

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Achewood has an amazing inbuilt vocabulary, too. Onstad can turn a phrase. He also does a great job of establishing voices for his characters and then sticking to him.

"Bold and unpredictable new talent."

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Chard posted:

appreciating achewood is easier if you are really baked

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Song For The Deaf posted:

Achewood has an amazing inbuilt vocabulary, too. Onstad can turn a phrase. He also does a great job of establishing voices for his characters and then sticking to him.

"Bold and unpredictable new talent."

Actually this might be my favorite thing about Achewood, even if I'm not a huge fan of it. Some of the phrases are just insanely clever, like pretty much half of the poo poo Roast Beef says.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Also, you really need to get Achewood before you can appreciate The Great Outdoor Fight, hence my admonition that a link to it is counterproductive to enjoyment.

I used to think Achewood was the distilled essence of meh until I clicked that link, and now I have Seen the Light. TGOF has blessed me with sublime understanding of the place of Achewood in history.

So don't listen to this loving dimwit, is what I'm trying to say.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Here's the secret to liking achewood: you have to hear the characters' voices in your head. If you don't you're only going to find it superficially funny, like in the sense of describing someone's STD-acquiring skills as a "bold and unpredictable new talent," and if even that isn't funny to you, then you probably are beyond help and like garbage.

STONED LIGHTNING

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Falcon2001 posted:

Actually this might be my favorite thing about Achewood, even if I'm not a huge fan of it. Some of the phrases are just insanely clever, like pretty much half of the poo poo Roast Beef says.

One thing Roast Beef said that has always stuck with me was he wanted to get "puzzled on some brews". It just sounds right.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
"Oh man you know I get all clopsy on the scotch." - Roast Beef

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

First Achewood I laughed at. Thanks I guess.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Achewood is...
Well its the best drat stoner/drunk shenanigans comic ever.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah, I didn't get Achewood prior to reading TGOF either and it was that arc that made it click. poo poo owns.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I legit think Onstad is a genius character/dialogue writer. Everyone's speech is so distinct and consistent and it amazes me that he did it for the best part of a decade.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Chas McGill posted:

I legit think Onstad is a genius character/dialogue writer. Everyone's speech is so distinct and consistent and it amazes me that he did it for the best part of a decade.

For a good portion of that he was also daily blogging in the characters' voices, also. That's a tremendous number of voices to keep straight and churn out work in.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Achewood is good because the characters are well-crafted and the absurdity is entertaining and fits the internal logic of the world in the comic.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Song For The Deaf posted:

"Oh man you know I get all clopsy on the scotch." - Roast Beef

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05212007

Oh no. Now I'm reading a bunch of Achewood again.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
According to ye olde threadcycle.jpg after "Achewood sucks nuh uh yeah huh" we're supposed to post Nedroid. I'll go first.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I liked achewood from the beginning. I found it when there were only like seven strips. Phillipe is standing on it! Haha! Then the great outdoor fight happened. It was a thing that happened, but everyone talked about it like it was when achewood came into its own. I don't get it. It was just a thing and it just kinda happened. Doesn't seem like it's worth making a hullabaloo over. I liked the phrase Honkey Tonk Blowjob, though.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
I always appreciate achewood, but it certainly helps if you have some form of substance abuse to get it.

It's always struck me that despite how insane some of the characters are that you knew someone like that in person.

Actually to this day I still quote/provide the "bloatee" comic whenever appropriate. Which is actually a pretty good one shot.

Edit: ok now that I've posted this again I'm chuckling to myself like an idiot at lunch

MuffinMan has a new favorite as of 20:01 on Oct 7, 2014

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

I liked achewood from the beginning. I found it when there were only like seven strips. Phillipe is standing on it! Haha! Then the great outdoor fight happened. It was a thing that happened, but everyone talked about it like it was when achewood came into its own. I don't get it. It was just a thing and it just kinda happened. Doesn't seem like it's worth making a hullabaloo over. I liked the phrase Honkey Tonk Blowjob, though.

It's probably just because it was a long arc starring Ray and Beef that had a lot of good dialogue and world-building. It was an easy section for people to introduce others to because it had a definitive start and end and continuity that kept you reading rather than one-offs.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Achewood alt text posted:

Up through panel seven, this is EXACTLY how a honky-tonk-style blowjob goes.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02222006

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Turning from Achewood to something completely different

It's real

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

"hell of wispy a spider covets" is just the most delightfully, perfectly strange line

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
If you have relatives who actively hit flea markets, this oughta set off a note in you. Best one-off Achewood there is:

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
My favorite achewood:
Context, Ray is really really high.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please don't forget to check out the alt-text on each strip as well, it's usually an extra joke or something that adds some punctuation to the punchline. Probably my favorite alt-text goes along with my favorite ever single strip:

:nws: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls :nws:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Please don't forget to check out the alt-text on each strip as well, it's usually an extra joke or something that adds some punctuation to the punchline. Probably my favorite alt-text goes along with my favorite ever single strip:

:nws: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls :nws:

This is... kind of inspiring?

Chock me up as another fan, TGOF was loving funny.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My favorite of the "Teodor needs rent" ones

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That lamp has a saga.

Also

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So i went to the archive of achewood and clicked at random and got a pretty good one

Pope Guilty posted:

For a good portion of that he was also daily blogging in the characters' voices, also. That's a tremendous number of voices to keep straight and churn out work in.

The blogs are really funny.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

It would have been funnier if they didn't say anything in the last panel...um wait... Never-mind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've seen Achewood comics that people have posted here and other places many times. Until this thread I didn't even realise you were supposed to be able to tell the characters apart. To me they have always been "a bear" "another bear" and sometimes "a third bear". They seem completely interchangeable. I don't even know if they're actually bears, they all look pretty much the same and not much like anything identifiable. Even reading a whole bunch of them together in this thread, I don't get it. I can't even identify any jokes, except in that one Comic Sans one where the joke seems to be "Everyone hates Comic Sans", which isn't funny.

I keep seeing them and people say "Oh, this one is funny on its own." so I read it and... nothing. What? I can't even identify what the joke was supposed to be.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Even reading a whole bunch of them together in this thread, I don't get it.

You need to know the characters to get it. If you're reading them as interchangeable then you're missing a lot of context.

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
KC Green does the best, coolest god:

And because I hate loathe love you, have another ecclesiastical showing:

I also happen to sit on a bunch of "OH BABY" that I didn't post, so that should be proof enough of my affection.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

I've seen Achewood comics that people have posted here and other places many times. Until this thread I didn't even realise you were supposed to be able to tell the characters apart. To me they have always been "a bear" "another bear" and sometimes "a third bear". They seem completely interchangeable. I don't even know if they're actually bears, they all look pretty much the same and not much like anything identifiable. Even reading a whole bunch of them together in this thread, I don't get it. I can't even identify any jokes, except in that one Comic Sans one where the joke seems to be "Everyone hates Comic Sans", which isn't funny.

I keep seeing them and people say "Oh, this one is funny on its own." so I read it and... nothing. What? I can't even identify what the joke was supposed to be.

No that's quite normal. I've been there myself, up until yesteray in fact, when I was shown the light. It'll come when you're ready. It's like pingu in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Huh, I thought they were dogs, but otherwise I'm right there with you.

• Locked thread