Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

Harlock posted:

It's cute that the ALCS is filled with fun and unique teams that haven't been there in a while but I can't pretend that they're good enough to beat the Playoff Giants (who are somehow much better than Regular Season Giants) and the Cardinals (who are just a good team all the time)

I am just mentally preparing myself now. I would love to be wrong.

Neither of those NL teams set the world on fire during the regular season. At this point I don't think there's a matter of not being good enough for any team, although I think the Royals are probably still the weakest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

If the cards cant beat this giants team ill be very sad.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Scob posted:

If the cards beat this giants team ill be very sad.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Carlton Banks posted:

It would be pretty cool if both the Cards/Royals used their 1985 uniforms if they meet in the WS

You could have Ricky Horton throw the ceremonial First Pitch to George Brett, who softly hits the ball (the ceremonial First Grounder) with a bat made out of pure pine tar. And Don Denkinger could make the ceremonial First Blown Call At First Base!

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Craptacular! posted:

However, especially in the offseason doldrums, this kind of stuff eclipses Hunter Pence playing Diablo with fans.

This is from the last thread but he did a what now?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Also from the last thread: I like the Giants (to an extent) because Sandoval, Posey, and Lincecum are all Cool Dudes Who Are Or Were Pretty Good. There are a bunch of other players that are alright. And there's that Bumgarner kid. I hear he does things.

To complete my highly detailed argument, gently caress the Cards; Giants/O's Orange-tober.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Orioles > Royals >>>>>>>> Giants > Disband baseball forever > Cardinals

Just in case anyone wants my thoughts on things
i know noone does

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I dislike the Giants' success because they seem to be able to respond to the pressure and win when they have to in order to accomplish their overall goal, whereas my team seems to mainly focus their skills on losing exactly when they need to in order to do the opposite.

I know thats a bunch of bullshit #narrative reasons to want a team to fail, but when another team coasts into the playoffs on magic dust over and over with contributions coming from all over and your team goes twenty years without being able to even secure a wildcard appearance, you will become naturally resentful.

That said, Buster, Timmy and Panda are all about as likeable as professional athletes can be and Bochy is a pretty cool dude and they play in a really nice park. I don't think I hate any of the Giants, but gently caress do I ever hate the Giants.

Go Royals. Don't make me cheer for the Giants.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

TenaciousJ posted:

I slept on it and I can't be too mad at the Giants at this point. What's the story people were talking about in the GDT of why Vogelsong is actually a cool dude?

Ryan Vogelsong made the All-Star team at age 33 after being out of MLB for almost five years. The Giants drafted him and later traded him to Pittsburgh while he was still a young prospect. He was so loving horrible as a starting pitcher that the Pirates moved him to mopup duty, and he picked up the nickname "the White Flag," because when he came in it meant they were surrendering. He pitched in NPB from 2007 to 2009. He kind of sucked in Japan, too; in 2007, when the Hanshin Tigers made the playoffs, they left him off their postseason roster. The Giants signed him off the scrap heap and called him up when Zito got hurt, and he had one of the best ERAs in the NL in 2011. He should have been an All-Star again in 2012 but Tony La Russa is a shithead.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Akbar posted:

He goes on Twitch.TV a bunch and plays games

He's a cool dude

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

TenaciousJ posted:

Rendon needs some credit too. If he and Bryce were near each other in the line up, some more runs would have scored.

The Nationals beat themselves last night. San Francisco would not have taken the lead IMO if Gio hadn't walked in a run or Barrett hadn't thrown wildly. I'm not sure LaRoche is going to be around next season with his post-All Star Game performance and hopefully Ryan Zimmerman takes his spot at first if he can stay healthy. They desperately need more consistent offense.

I slept on it and I can't be too mad at the Giants at this point. What's the story people were talking about in the GDT of why Vogelsong is actually a cool dude?

Dude was drafted by the Giants in 2000. He had TJS in 2002. He was one of the worst pitchers in the league all during this time. Goes to Japan to around 2005 I want to say. Isn't very good. Goes to winter ball. Somehow learns the secret art of pitching well there and get pick up and bounced around in minors in a couple team in 2009-2010, before getting signed to the minors for the Giants in 2011. Gets called and becomes the best pitcher on (really loving good) staff. Makes the All-Star Game. Continues being good in 2012, should have been an All-Stat again, becomes the Giants ace in the postseason.

Then he sucks in 2013 and breaks his hand. Barely gets resigned (for less than his club option was), comes back as pretty average. Rocks in the post at least one more time.

Dude's been through a lot, he's well traveled you might say.

Ambassador of Funk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 8, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tommy John posted:

I dislike the Giants' success because they seem to be able to respond to the pressure and win when they have to in order to accomplish their overall goal, whereas my team seems to mainly focus their skills on losing exactly when they need to in order to do the opposite.

I know thats a bunch of bullshit #narrative reasons to want a team to fail, but when another team coasts into the playoffs on magic dust over and over with contributions coming from all over and your team goes twenty years without being able to even secure a wildcard appearance, you will become naturally resentful.

That said, Buster, Timmy and Panda are all about as likeable as professional athletes can be and Bochy is a pretty cool dude and they play in a really nice park. I don't think I hate any of the Giants, but gently caress do I ever hate the Giants.

Go Royals. Don't make me cheer for the Giants.

Honestly, given the Giants' success, I'm surprised more people don't absolutely despise them. They deserve to be hated for their success, as any team with recent success does, but you just look at Panda and Timmy and Bochy all having fun and go :3:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Orioles murderized the Cardinals in 2 out of 3 games at Camden Yards, and they'd have home-field in a hypothetical matchup.

Of course, 1 of those 2 games was started by Justin Masterson.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Let's go Orioles Magic, the only thing that can save us from Satan and Even Year Bullshit.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

He goes on Twitch.TV a bunch and plays games

He's a cool dude

Yea Pence is a big nerd, I remember back in the day he played a lot of WoW and claimed to be the first Hunter on his server to reach level 60.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Let's get this relative payroll thing out of the way.

Giants $149,089,475

Cardinals $111,250,000

Orioles $107,466,653

Royals $92,185,521

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys players. A Royals 149MM payroll is an absurd thought to entertain, as is a Giants 92MM payroll. But the Orioles and Cards are much closer than I imagined.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down
I feel like Homer at the evil gift shop.

"The Orioles will advance to the ALCS"
"That's good"
"The Cardinals will also advance"
"That's bad"
"The Orioles will face the Royals in the ALCS"
"That's good"
"The team facing the Cardinals will be the Giants"
"That's bad"

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In the cases of players like Vogelsong, you just have to give credit to the GMs/development staff. Every team takes a flier on a dude who is past his prime/broke/busted, and if they turn into something magical it's an awesome gain for your team. The Phillies/Pirates had Brandon Moss, didn't see anything special about him and let him go, and now he flourishes in Oakland.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Yea Pence is a big nerd, I remember back in the day he played a lot of WoW and claimed to be the first Hunter on his server to reach level 60.

The first Hunter class or the first person named Hunter? :v:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Intruder posted:

:thejoke:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I am filled with shame

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Intruder posted:

Either one works for me.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Akbar posted:

He plays a lot of online games with fans but there was a specific thing where when D3 came out for PS3 he played with fans at launch.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not a huge fan of the even-year Giants bullshit, but for gently caress's sake do not let The Best Fans in Baseball's team into another World Series.

I want the Royals to beat the O's but there's no way they'd have as good a shot at a WS title as Baltimore would against SF/STL...and the very thought of the National League claiming another title is abhorrent to me.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The Midniter posted:

I want the Royals to beat the O's but there's no way they'd have as good a shot at a WS title as Baltimore would against SF/STL...

There is a way, and it's called Love and Hustle.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I would love to see Yadier Molina vs. ALL THE STEALS, though.

e: Interesting, KC led all of MLB in steals and successful steal %.

But they were actually middle of the pack in the AL (which naturally should have fewer due to no pitchers batting) in bunting.

Ned Yost turned it up to 11 in October for some reason.

The Royals also struck out the least in their League by a long shot, as did the Cardinals.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 8, 2014

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Teams nowadays, they can't help it. It's that smug loving bird. It's mesmerizing and intimidating. The O's come out of the dugout, and the other guys see that loving cartoon bird, they see it and they just know. They hate that loving cartoon. That's an edge.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

FairGame posted:

This is the reason I want Royals-Cards to happen. I also would find it cool that 29 years after their last postseason, the Royals are matched up against the same team again in the WS.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

davecrazy posted:

STL and SF. Ugh.

:smith:

Walked posted:

Counterpoint: KC and BAL. :woop:

:unsmith:

Nuke the NLCS from orbit tia

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

In non-playoff new, Brian Wilson exercises his player option for $9.5 million.

V: Not surprising, but still something the rest of can laugh about. Or moan about because they have to see Brian Wilson play baseball for another year.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

The Midniter posted:

I want the Royals to beat the O's but there's no way they'd have as good a shot at a WS title as Baltimore would against SF/STL...and the very thought of the National League claiming another title is abhorrent to me.

My typical schtick is to go for the NL in every World Series due to playing complete baseball, but that's predicated on more than two teams representing the league. Go AL team, go.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

the popes toes posted:

Teams nowadays, they can't help it. It's that smug loving bird. It's mesmerizing and intimidating. The O's come out of the dugout, and the other guys see that loving cartoon bird, they see it and they just know. They hate that loving cartoon. That's an edge.

Cardinals should change their logo to Fredbird for the NLCS.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FairGame posted:

e: Interesting, KC led all of MLB in steals and successful steal %.

I might have missed people talking about this yesterday but here's the most over-zealous quote about speed I can imagine:

quote:

"I view him as a necessity," Yost said. "I view him as a guy like having Barry Bonds on the bench late that can come in and win a ballgame for you."

He's talking about Terrance Gore.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Gore is guaranteed to get one base when he comes into the game, just like Barry Bonds.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I might have missed people talking about this yesterday but here's the most over-zealous quote about speed I can imagine:

Why would you ever have Barry Bonds on the bench?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grittybeard posted:

Who was the guy on the Red Sox in 2004 that everyone knew was going to steal second and still went like 7/8 when used as a pinch runner?

Guys like that might not be super valuable in a 162 game season but in a best of 7 series where small sample size rules all their value is immense. If it's a close game they can turn it around and if it's not then whoever you left off the roster to keep him wasn't going to change anything.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Why would you ever have Barry Bonds on the bench?

Some sort of weird mercy rule?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Who was the guy on the Red Sox in 2004 that everyone knew was going to steal second and still went like 7/8 when used as a pinch runner?

Guys like that might not be super valuable in a 162 game season but in a best of 7 series where small sample size rules all their value is immense. If it's a close game they can turn it around and if it's not then whoever you left off the roster to keep him wasn't going to change anything.

Dave Roberts

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

IcePhoenix posted:

David Roberts?

People were talking about Billy Hamilton this way last season in September and in the postseason. Then the Reds got bounced in 1 game by Liriano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

IcePhoenix posted:

Oh yeah I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a roster spot or there's anyone in particular who would be better to carry, just...you know...Barry. I also realized the other night that Yost can pinch run for Butler whenever he wants to and just put Willingham in the next time the DH comes around in the order which is kind of nice.

Obviously you'd rather not have two guys who are only going to be used as DH's (for this team) hanging around but it works out ok in that situation.

• Locked thread