Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does 3.8 fix the constant crashing later on in the game?

\/ Wow, what a bitch of a design flaw. You know... considering there are fights going on ALL the time around you.

Seriously regardless of the crashes I'm experiencing, everyone needs to play Faction Wars somehow. In my opinion if you took Misery and TFW and put them together you'd get the ultimate stalker game. In the end I'd prefer Misery or Lost Alpha. TFW is loving awesome but it has a single objective so it gets tiresome. Also knocking out a faction removes them completely from the game world. I'd rather they try to come back and take their base.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I have no idea. The only crashes I've come across are sometimes if you reload a quicksave where you saved during a fight it will crash, but that's a problem with Clear Sky in general, I believe (this happens in multiple mods)

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'd be interested to see if it gets old as fast as it does for you as it did for me. Or if it does at all.

I have a feeling I didn't install it right anyways. Those god drat crashes EVERY GAME put me off the most.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got a working install with a few minor additions (namely, the Monolith Suicide script that I've found out has been adapted to every mod I can think of, since it's a neat concept), a permanent clock addition on the HUD and a few features from OGSM (mainly mutant effects at the moment)

My internet will be throttled until midnight GMT so I can't upload it yet.

As for the faction wars/misery idea, there's a mod called 'Mystery' that is basically all the visual enhancements from Misery without the lovely gameplay choices like a million superfluous items and weird mutant balance. I'll see if I can make an adaption for TFW.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Welp, I've got it downloaded. Just need to install CS.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The faction war is pretty drat fun. Just got myself into quite a bit of poo poo. Decided to take on the Barricades in the Garbage as it was taken over by Duty... took them out, then all of a sudden a bunch of renegades turned up. Renegades aren't just bandits, I guess, they look like outcasts from every member of the different factions, so some look like Clear Sky, a few are wearing duty armor etc...

I didn't know this, so just assumed they were there from wherever, then they started firing. Took them out, then more duty arrived from Agroprom. Killed those, and I noticed a guy running like no tomorrow. He looked like a renegade, so I shot him in the skull. Turns out he was on my side, so now I have a sanction against me.

I guess I've now got Defiance hit squads coming after me until I pay my dues.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I have no idea what version you guys have. I guess there was a lot added inbetween 3.7 and 3.8 or I just don't have 3.7 for some weird reason. Totally uninstalling misery for a replay. Misery is way too kitchen sink as far as items, you're completely right about that. It had me confused at first, made me think I'd have to do 5 different things to heal.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Ddraig posted:

Found this:

A ton of Stalker mods, some of them quite hard to find somewhere that isn't a russian filesite:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!zEtSxC4J!eRsovn-n098UpRtLDmr5_w

I'd highly recommend The Faction War for Clear Sky.

This is a really good link to have. The LEGENDARY mod seems pretty neat so far.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

quote:

In the end I'd prefer Misery or Lost Alpha. TFW is loving awesome but it has a single objective so it gets tiresome. Also knocking out a faction removes them completely from the game world. I'd rather they try to come back and take their base.

Try to start as the merc faction. It's basically Misery 1 levels of difficulty.

It's you and three squads against the world. You get no reliable reinforcements in comparison to the other factions until you take your official base in Agroprom. Also, you start in Yantar, which in Clear Sky is basically overrun with hundreds of zombies and other nasty mutants.

Your only advantage is that at the "tier 1" level of tech that all factions start at you have some incredibly good weaponry. Which quickly upgrades to heavy duty firepower once you hit a certain level and your faction takes enough resource points. This is counterbalanced by how quickly the faction will get torn to shreds without their real base, and the fact that the faction has mediocre suits. Also, Monolith apparently know one of the secret routes to get into Yantar. So have fun with them running raids on the scientist outpost.

Factions can also respawn. If you lose a base and it isn't reclaimed by anyone for long enough the faction will retake it and spawn new guards and stalkers.

quote:

Renegades aren't just bandits, I guess, they look like outcasts from every member of the different factions, so some look like Clear Sky, a few are wearing duty armor etc...

Renegades are basically the rear end in a top hat version of loners. Think of them as bandits that aren't part of the official "organized crime" style bandit faction. Whereas the bandit faction Stalkers (And you, if you join them.) can and will focus on robbing you if you're neutral renegades are basically just former faction members that will shoot you dead and loot your corpse for any upgrades or other useful items.

They're one of the random spawns that can occur as you level up and get an established game going. Other events I know of include the military starting to try to purge the zone of stalkers starting in cordon, Monolith sending squads south into the zone, and emissions causing all sorts of havoc and spawning fresh waves of monsters every now and then.

quote:

Seriously regardless of the crashes I'm experiencing, everyone needs to play Faction Wars somehow.
I've only gotten a few crashes so far. 3.8's notes mention that it fixes the inevitable crash issues from the warfare scripts though. And I haven't gotten any issues with it being unplayable. I will say however that you need to download the other files in the folder on Mega. The reason being that they fix various issues that the original beta release didn't catch. Everything after the release of the 3.8 beta date-wise should be installed.

It's a shame the mod might not get developed further. It really is one of the best mods in the series. Optimally i'd like to see it rolled into one of those "add all the different levels across the game" mega-mods people have been working on. Preferably with the existing population caps and features appropriately scaled up. With the anomaly, artifact, and stalker and AI features it has it'd basically be the perfect version of Stalker.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 8, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Well, it's that time again. Haven't played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in like a year, wanting to get back in the zone. I read that the source code was apparently made public one way or another, so I'm guessing my mods current to about 2012 are way the hell outdated. I'd like to play all three; I'm looking for an awesome new experience for SHoC (latest version of Lost Alpha? or...?) and also for CoP (haven't really buckled down and explored Misery well enough to definitely hate it, maybe that one).

I haven't ever successfully played Clear Sky all the way through thanks to the many, many bugs in the engine from that time period, so I'd really just like something kind of like Complete 2009 was back in its day - a good all-arounder that doesn't change the basic gameplay too much, but made it more fun and corrected a few baffling gameplay choices and the odd bug. Not sure how robust the mod scene is for Clear Sky since most people seem to hate it and would rather work with SHoC for old-school S.T.A.L.K.E.R. or CoP for a better engine than Clear Sky and superior features.

What's the latest and greatest for this wonderful and storied franchise? :allears:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Basically my strategy at the moment is to pick people off at long distances with a bolt action rifle, then go in with a shotgun to clear out any stragglers. Worked mainly ok, until I went for the Duty building in Agroprom (the former stalker base) and an emission occurred half way through. Cue me running all the way to the railway tunnel because it's the only safe spot I could find...

Then when I get back, past the piles of corpses, some more assholes have turned up so I'm taking them out aswell.

A burer did manage to get in and cause havoc among them so that was a good time. I also found a Sako TRG in a stash so I've upgraded that and it's beastly.

I have got the impression that the Defiance faction is one of the easier ones, since they're basically radical loners (and loners tend to turn up and help you out anyway, so it's sort of like you've got the backing of two factions)

Definitely gonna try the mercs next time. They sound like a fun experience.

Right now I'm uploading a full version with the fixes applied and a few minor extras.

These are:

* Modified maps to include smart terrain names. These aren't accurate since TFW has changed a few
* Clear Sky Ambient Audio Overhaul
* Extra guitar tracks.
* Monolith suicide. I ported this to Call of Pripyat, I've since downloaded a few Clear Sky mods that have ported my port to Clear Sky, so why not.
* Tons of dialog spell checking.
* OGSM Mutant abilities. Cats will make you tired (and possibly kill you if you're already extremely sleep deprived), Poltergeists will have their COP Scan effect, Pseudogiants emit radiation, controllers have a sound aura and pseudodogs have their old build attack added in. The faction combat has been revamped, mutants haven't really been touched in TFW.
* Permanent clock on your hud. Just a small QOL thing.

It's quite funny that poo poo like this is a common occurrence, where stalkers just throw themselves into the meat grinder:

e: Here it is! https://www.mediafire.com/?k7fk9i32dcc14el

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 8, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Downloading that now! Awesome, glad you're still modding :)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Agreed posted:

Downloading that now! Awesome, glad you're still modding :)

Keep in mind that The Faction War for Clear Sky is a complete overhaul focused almost entirely on the faction wars. It's essentially a huge freeplay mod with the end goals of taking over the Zone for your faction. There's no real story to speak of, I guess.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

You're fuckin awesome for doing that dude. gently caress misery, I'm going back to TFW.

Again, you're awesome. For the longest time TFW seemed to be a finge thing no one wanted to be a part of. In fact I was referred to it with great disdainment, most likely because It was on the worst engine of the series.

Now people actually recognize this fuckin mod. FINALLY.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 8, 2014

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ddraig posted:

Keep in mind that The Faction War for Clear Sky is a complete overhaul focused almost entirely on the faction wars. It's essentially a huge freeplay mod with the end goals of taking over the Zone for your faction. There's no real story to speak of, I guess.

I'm not so attached to the idea of playing CS "as intended" that I'll overlook something as badass as this. What would you recommend for CoP and SHoC these days, man? If you don't mind my asking, haha.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right now for SOC Lost Alpha is the new thing, I guess. It's a completely standalone game. Not many mods for it at the moment, but it's functionally almost identical to SoC so I imagine porting over some mods would be easy.

Call of Pripyat my go-to mod at the moment is Arsenal Overhaul with the Pripyat Reborn addon. It adds a ton of new guns and has a lot of Alundaio's excellent gameplay additions without the extra stuff that Misery tacks on.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gonna uninstall Last Light (sorry Artyom) and try out some Faction War.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

What does the monolith suicide thing do?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Archonex posted:

What does the monolith suicide thing do?

The stalker games make mention of the idea that the Monolith are fanatics and will not, under any circumstances, allow themselves to be captured.

So if you happen to wound a member of the monolith he might decide to take himself out with a grenade if you get too close

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'd like to see that for every faction... Well the only factions I'd think would even do that would be Duty, Bandits, Renegades... there's another one but like half the factions have the kind of guys who'd do a big gently caress you as their last act.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anyone got suggestions on how to get a gun in Faction Wars when starting as a Loner?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

The stalker games make mention of the idea that the Monolith are fanatics and will not, under any circumstances, allow themselves to be captured.

So if you happen to wound a member of the monolith he might decide to take himself out with a grenade if you get too close

I kinda feel like a lot more Stalkers should do that.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
If they'll do that to each other, and not just in response to the player, it seems like something that would vary with both the wounded dude's faction and who the hell shot him. Bandits have taken both Loners and Dutyers hostage, so either of those might think they have a chance of breaking out or being rescued. At the same time, I don't think any Bandit would want to be grabbed by Duty.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I didn't expect a chopper to be called when I attacked the military outpost :catstare:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So I keep this weird crash in LEGENDARY after getting the embankment quest and going by the car park.

FATAL ERROR

[error]Expression : assertion failed
[error]Function : xrServer::Process_event_ownership
[error]File : E:\stalker\sources\trunk\xr_3da\xrGame\xrServer_process_event_ownership.cpp
[error]Line : 23
[error]Description : e_parent

Mercs and some scientists dudes are dukeing it out and it always seems to happen after I pick up a bunch of weapons and then trade them. Any light on the subject would be good but I'll see if I can figure out what is going on.

TheFrankAttack
May 1, 2007
Hey guys, I've been itching to do another playthrough of CoP with SGM 2.2, but I keep running into this strange bug regarding DX10/DX11.

In either of these modes, the game will not run and it will give me a window saying 'Your graphics card does not meet the required settings..." or whatnot. Thing is, I have a newish HD 7870 in my rig, and I've put in hundreds of hours on this game in DX11 mode before when I had an older rig.

Changing the renderer to r2 in user.ltx makes the game launch-able again (r3 is dx10/r4 is dx11). I can play the game no problem in these modes, but it just bugs the poo poo out of me I can't get DX10 to work.

I don't have the Windows update that broke DX10, I've checked.
GFX drivers are absolute latest up to date, AMD 14.9 drivers.
All my DirectX/MS C++ poo poo is up to date.
Win 7 Pro 64 bit, i5 4670k CPU, AMD 7870 GPU, 16gb RAM

Any ideas?

edit: From my googling it seems that there is a problem with the game settings not recognizing the GPU on DX10/11 modes, but there are no solutions that I could find.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Did they ever get SGM 2.2 to a point of respectable stability? I still have a customized SGM 2.1 gamedata folder stored because I enjoyed the very different game it became but 2.2 pretty much gummed up the whole works. That get fixed? Again, my knowledge on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods outside of Swartz Mod (which I spent like 250 hours in, thanks Swartz if you're still reading!) is current to 2012 if I remember right.

Weird that it won't run in DX10/11. Having no issues with that using Arsenal Overhaul and its Pripyat Reborn addon. But I don't remember what all SGM dicks around with in terms of asset replacement for a better visual experience. I seem to recall having to install at least Absolute Nature on my own, but I don't know what it's like now in SGM.

Edit: Wait, sometimes it totally shits the bed if you have the game's own AA turned on. The in-game AA crashes the game out repeatedly for my system, and has since like the late 200s on nVidia drivers using a GTX 680, then a GTX 780 and now a GTX 780Ti. Do you happen to have that turned on? It's bypassed anyway using DX9, if I recall correctly, which may be why it "fixes" the problem. Just a guess, good luck.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Agreed posted:

Again, my knowledge on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mods outside of Swartz Mod (which I spent like 250 hours in, thanks Swartz if you're still reading!)

So your knowledge is in regards to poo poo mods? ;)

In terms of COP mods, Arsenal Overhaul with MAYBE Pripyat Reborn addon (has some stability issues) is my current go-to outside of the mod I'm working on now (may as well pimp that since I mentioned it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ultimate-weapon-renewal and yes we're using the leaked source :D ).
Another good COP mod to be on the lookout for is "Call of Chernobyl" which I was a tester for, for a while. Alundaio had taken off without fixing some issues, but he just came back to fix it all, so it should be coming (my guess) by early next year, and it has a shitload of maps and AI-life activity and free-roam play if you're into that.

Good to see you in a Stalker thread again :)

TheFrankAttack
May 1, 2007

Agreed posted:

Edit: Wait, sometimes it totally shits the bed if you have the game's own AA turned on. The in-game AA crashes the game out repeatedly for my system, and has since like the late 200s on nVidia drivers using a GTX 680, then a GTX 780 and now a GTX 780Ti. Do you happen to have that turned on? It's bypassed anyway using DX9, if I recall correctly, which may be why it "fixes" the problem. Just a guess, good luck.

Hmmm I'll try that out. Thanks for the input!

SGM 2.2 is pretty stable from what I've experienced. David.me/natashathedog hosts an all in one translated version on his modDB website.

I also found a SGM 2.1 mod merged with Misery 2.0 graphics, which I may give a try but honestly it seems like a big headache to get working right.

Also this issue persists no matter what mod for me, even baseline CoP will do it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This may work, or it may not... worth giving it a shot anyway:

Try deleting the "shaders_cache" folder in your Call of Pripyat appdata folder.

Call of Pripyat stores info about shaders in there, so it's possible that there may be version conflicts that are causing problems.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Swartz posted:

So your knowledge is in regards to poo poo mods? ;)

In terms of COP mods, Arsenal Overhaul with MAYBE Pripyat Reborn addon (has some stability issues) is my current go-to outside of the mod I'm working on now (may as well pimp that since I mentioned it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/ultimate-weapon-renewal and yes we're using the leaked source :D ).
Another good COP mod to be on the lookout for is "Call of Chernobyl" which I was a tester for, for a while. Alundaio had taken off without fixing some issues, but he just came back to fix it all, so it should be coming (my guess) by early next year, and it has a shitload of maps and AI-life activity and free-roam play if you're into that.

Good to see you in a Stalker thread again :)

Haha, your mod was a ton of fun and I loved it. Blessing in disguise that the radiation animation crashed out for me, since that kind of turned it into what would eventually be a proto-AO. Like the vanilla game but, you know, better!

I am glad to be back playing these games - and also glad I took a couple years off, because the gameplay feels extremely fresh* and the current crop of mods are awesome. I can't wait to see what the future holds for the franchise, and this is like the only franchise I'd ever say that about among the current crop of retired/as-good-as-dead IPs. I'll be following your new mod very closely, man, you've always done and been involved with great work whether you'll say so out loud or not :D

*Seriously, where are the not-poo poo first person shooter games, I'm kind of sick of playing either Call of Duty gameplay or Bioshock gameplay, but with different skins, regardless of what I buy :qqsay:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Agreed posted:

*Seriously, where are the not-poo poo first person shooter games, I'm kind of sick of playing either Call of Duty gameplay or Bioshock gameplay, but with different skins, regardless of what I buy :qqsay:

well it's not like there was anything like Stalker before or when it came out, it's always been a unique snowflake among the poo poo that is video games

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Swartz posted:

Until CoC (funny initialism) comes out you guys probably want to do Clear Sky: The Faction War. We got one of our finest modders fiddling with it... Thank god. I'd be doing the same thing Ddraig, I have in the past on other games but with this I'd have to learn ANOTHER game's innerworkings. Not to mention the game was designed strangely and is probably incredibly difficult to work with.

There's nothing better than playing through a game and being able to add/fix things you don't like. So far all I've managed to do is make grenades more effective and sync sounds better.

\/ Still though. We need to raise awareness of this mod. In the end I imagine this mod would likely be the most true to what life in the zone would really be like. I kinda agree with you on the mod itself being really well built as is though, as much as it could be anyways. I know playing as the mercs is hard mode, but making TFW a bit more.. miserable would be nice.

One question, Does Call of Chernobyl add maps? Also I seem to recall SHoC having like twice as many maps as Clear Sky. How many maps does CS subtract?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 9, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
With the faction war I can't really see anything that I think I'd like to see added, to be honest. It's very well put together and he's covered a lot of bases with it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Hey Swartz, now that LURK is dead and the team is moving on to another game/engine, perhaps there's a few models that you can pry out of Mill's hands for your mod. I have no idea if their intention is to use all the weapons made for LURK in their new projects or not but if not, it's worth a shot anyway right? I can ask him for you, if you like.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I have no idea what I'm doing with Faction War. I guess there are these little circle areas scattered around that I can control somehow, but that doesn't seem to be explained anywhere; I also picked up a follower who I have no idea how to command. Tried to join Duty, but I have to do stuff for them first to get them to like me, which is not easy since I didn't start with a gun and even a poo poo gun costs 200 more rubles than I have.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Naky posted:

Hey Swartz, now that LURK is dead and the team is moving on to another game/engine, perhaps there's a few models that you can pry out of Mill's hands for your mod. I have no idea if their intention is to use all the weapons made for LURK in their new projects or not but if not, it's worth a shot anyway right? I can ask him for you, if you like.

Would you mind? I've asked him before if I can use his models and his answer has always been no, but maybe you'd have better luck. I'd appreciate it.

TheFrankAttack
May 1, 2007

TheFrankAttack posted:

Hey guys, I've been itching to do another playthrough of CoP with SGM 2.2, but I keep running into this strange bug regarding DX10/DX11.

In either of these modes, the game will not run and it will give me a window saying 'Your graphics card does not meet the required settings..." or whatnot. Thing is, I have a newish HD 7870 in my rig, and I've put in hundreds of hours on this game in DX11 mode before when I had an older rig.

Changing the renderer to r2 in user.ltx makes the game launch-able again (r3 is dx10/r4 is dx11). I can play the game no problem in these modes, but it just bugs the poo poo out of me I can't get DX10 to work.

So neither of the recommendations given to me in this thread helped, but thanks anyways. I've hosed with this for quite some time and almost gave up when I found the problem. It's not SGM or DirectX or Stalker itself, it was the StalkerMAX Shaders. Specifically, something is funky in shadow.h, a file in gamedata/shaders/r2. I deleted it and everything worked just fine. Most of what I saw in that file looks like jibberish to me, so I have no clue how to "fix" it. The logs mentioned something about a syntax error and unexpected token. Game runs fine without it, though.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Swartz posted:

Alundaio had taken off without fixing some issues, but he just came back to fix it all, so it should be coming (my guess) by early next year, and it has a shitload of maps and AI-life activity and free-roam play if you're into that.

Is he back for real this time? I know he's real flighty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Working with X-Ray is a real soul crusher at times. There have been times when I contemplated going to live in a cave, so I can't say I blame him that much.