Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh yeah, they looked amazing at the time, I was just shocked at how they'd aged.

Well, yeah, but i still don't think it looks that bad. It's no Shadows of Mordor, but it looks like it could have come out last year (albeit with dynamic rather than pre-rendered backgrounds).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

I started Resi 5 again after finally accepting that i will never be able to finish 6 because i still hate it after giving it 3 chances months apart.

This game is much better than i remember even if the partner AI is retarded and uses healing items right away if either of you so much as stubs you toe.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of RE6, can anyone tell me how that RE4 camera patch worked out for it? I've tried the RE6 demo but something about it makes me motion sick even when I slam the sensitivity and speed of the camera down to like nothing, but RE4 never made me sick. It's like $10 now at GameStop but I'd still hate to blow $10 on poo poo like this.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Why are they remastering the first one again, and not the second one?

It's cheaper to release an "HD Remastering" than it is to make a remake from scratch and Capcom is hurting for money.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Genetic Toaster posted:

It's cheaper to release an "HD Remastering" than it is to make a remake from scratch and Capcom is hurting for money.

No, it really isn't.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I don't follow news much. Last I heard they put themselves up for sale so v:shobon:v

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Genetic Toaster posted:

I don't follow news much. Last I heard they put themselves up for sale so v:shobon:v

No. They didn't.

They opted to not renew a takeover defense, which means there are no longer any legalities that actively prevent another party from acquiring a majority share of stock. If someone wanted to muscle his/her way onto the board of directors, it is now expensive but possible.

I would presume it's an active attempt to enhance their stock value while attracting outside investment.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mogomra posted:

I've been playing a lot of Resident Evil 2 again. There's bullshit rookie arrange mode where you start out with infinite ammo, easy, and normal mode.

Is there anyway to unlock a hard mode, or an arrange game mode without infinite ammo weapons? I can just not use the stuff you start out with, but the question still stands.

E: I think the REmake spoiled me with the unlockable hard mode, One Dangerous Zombie, and invisible enemies.

I know the PC version has an unlockable Hard mode. I don't think it has anything beyond that, though. Dreamcast Nightmare Mode and PC Hard Mode are IIRC exactly the same thing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Genetic Toaster posted:

And most of those assets are already in HD from the remake on Gamecube. Some further enhancements, some minor gameplay amendments, problem solved.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That said, I do want an actual remake of RE2. It was my favorite for a long time.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Genetic Toaster posted:

Capcom is hurting for people to give a drat.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

tithin posted:

And most of those assets are already in HD from the remake on Gamecube. Some further enhancements, some minor gameplay amendments, problem solved.

I had always heard that the original assets are lost. This HD REmake is just an upscale of GC assets with some contrast and sharpening filters.

The only thing I'm going off here is that they're including a 4:3 mode, and all the 16:9 stuff seems to just have the top and bottom of the original 4:3 frame cut off. That and the prerendered backgrounds that I've seen all look pretty dark compared to the GC version.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I picked up re4 on the steam sale recently on someone's recommendation, having not touched the series since Code Veronica. It's way more... videogamey than I expected. Smash pots for health and ammo, red barrels explode, collect tokens scattered about the level etc. Right now I'm in the castle and of course there are swinging pendulums to hop through.
The shopkeeper in particular feels like someone said 'gently caress it, it's just a game', although I'll be very entertained if there's a plot twist and he's important in some way.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not sure how you can look at the puzzles in the earlier RE games and then say RE4 is too videogamey.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm playing RE4 again for the first time since I owned it on Gamecube and I really think it's still one of the top five best games ever made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's a good point though. I felt the same way in 2005, I was livid at how after I put a Gamecube disk into my Gamecube I was presented with a video game of all things. How low class.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm not saying I dislike the game, it's just very different to my expectations. It started out pretty creepy, with the villagers killing the cops and now I'm fighting suits of armour in a castle with a room full of lava.
I'm reminded a little of Painkiller.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Resident Evil 4 was based almost entirely on a horror scene in a martial arts movie (Gymkata), so it makes sense.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Lotish posted:

That said, I do want an actual remake of RE2. It was my favorite for a long time.

IIRC they were planning to do this but opted instead to give us The Darkside Chronicles (or Umbrella, can't remember).

Thanks Capcom! :thumbsup:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

Awesome Welles posted:

IIRC they were planning to do this but opted instead to give us The Darkside Chronicles (or Umbrella, can't remember).

drat. A full on REmake of 2 with tank controls and fixed camera angles... And crimson heads. That poo poo would be so awesome. :negative:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Awesome Welles posted:

but those games were awesome

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm playing RE4 again for the first time since I owned it on Gamecube and I really think it's still one of the top five best games ever made.
Same here, and while I'm sucking at it compared to how I used to be, it's an amazing game and I'm absolutely loving it. Got a little frustrated with the maze and dogs last night, but the game has the right mix of creepy, campy, and gamey to have a really fun tone, and the gameplay is seriously top notch. The controls take a little bit to get used to (especially after playing the more recent RE games) but they make the game better and feel wholly unique. Playing it again, I'm not exactly surprised by how much I'm loving this game, but I'm definitely being reminded of how much I loved it to begin with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm not saying I dislike the game, it's just very different to my expectations. It started out pretty creepy, with the villagers killing the cops and now I'm fighting suits of armour in a castle with a room full of lava.
I'm reminded a little of Painkiller.

Sorry I'm just really biased because I like this aspect of the game a lot. I like how it smoothly transitions from nuanced pastiche of Spanish/Italian zombie flicks to incredible pastiche of every action movie ever made.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
So on a random tangent, has anyone modded the PC or PSX versions of the old games (1-3, mainly) to be more difficult? I'd love to see the old games with changed around enemies, more enemies, or something akin to the Arranged Difficulty from the Director's Cut of Resident Evil 1.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

but those games were awesome

If I have the choice between an RE2 remake done in the style of the first one and a god drat light gun game, I'm going to go with the remake.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
It's looking hot guys.

11 minutes of ps4 footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW4a1DdMvRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyqrz6xuxN4

Comparison shots between the Wii version and the 360 version:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/blog/2014/10/08/more-resident-evil-comparison-images

Check out the armour room, this is more than just a simple upscale.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Awesome Welles posted:

If I have the choice between an RE2 remake done in the style of the first one and a god drat light gun game, I'm going to go with the remake.

They're probably among the better games in the light-gun genre though. I know that doesn't sound like high praise, but I wasn't expecting much from them and was pretty thoroughly surprised and impressed with Umbrella Chronicles and ended up dumping like 25 hours into the thing. Not so much Darkside but whatever.

I mean, you clearly prefer a classic RE style over a light gun game and I usually would as well, but I can't say I was disappointed with what I ended up with.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I just can't recognize REmake Chris as RE5-6 Chris. Dude hit the roids hard.

"Never again"

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

ManOfTheYear posted:

I just can't recognize REmake Chris as RE5-6 Chris. Dude hit the roids hard.

"Never again"

Huh, I had the opposite effect. I just recently re-bought Remake and skinny Chris is kinda weird. It's like seeing somebody after they lost a bunch of weight.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Pre-order Rev 2 on PlayStation to get the "Raid Mode Throwback Pack" for free. Will apparently feature stages from recent RE games.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I've been slowly playing more RE6, and even though I haven't finished it yet, I feel that it's important to say that the chase section near the end of Chris's campaign, and the sub escape from Ada's chapter one were two of the most aggressively unfun things I've ever played. Like holy cow. Maybe it was the keyboard controls, but it took me a while to figure out not to touch my mouse.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

They really need to clarify the pricing on this game. So you can buy all the episodes individually, but you can also buy the whole season at once. You can also wait and buy it retail after all the episodes are released, which they said will give you extra bonus content. Yet they are now offering a preorder bonus? Do they mean the PSN version or the retail one?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Mogomra posted:

I've been slowly playing more RE6, and even though I haven't finished it yet, I feel that it's important to say that the chase section near the end of Chris's campaign, and the sub escape from Ada's chapter one were two of the most aggressively unfun things I've ever played. Like holy cow. Maybe it was the keyboard controls, but it took me a while to figure out not to touch my mouse.

A friend and I died about five or six times during that chase bit in Chris' campaign (assuming you're on about the bit where you're underwater and the tunnels start collapsing/being attacked) when playing co-op because the camera was incredibly unhelpful in helping you to figure out which direction to go, and it was really easy to die if you tried to go the wrong way for even a second. Might've been alright with AI, since you could always follow them in order to figure things out, but with two co-op partners, each of whom have never played the game before, both having to restart every time the other died, on top of the odd bug like a player getting stuck on the environment for a moment... Yeah, that just plain wasn't fun.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

smenj posted:

(assuming you're on about the bit where you're underwater and the tunnels start collapsing/being attacked)

That part was bad but I didn't die once there. It was the cocoon chamber. The only gimmick they threw in was relying on the changing camera angle to gently caress you up. Hardcore bullshit right there.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Since there's no thread for it, so I guess this is the best place to ask: anyone excited about The Evil Within? It looks like a cross between Resident Evil 4 and Silent Hill and it's made by Shinji Mikami, so it's probably gonna be great. It's been a while since last proper action survival horror game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BEeTBbJtSI

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm very torn on it, but I think I'm going to give it a shot and pick it up tomorrow. On the one hand it looks really weird and off-putting in parts, and some video I saw of people LPing it makes it seem bullshit hard, but that may just have been because they didn't know what they were doing?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Evil Within's going to be polarizing, because like all the old horror games from the '90s, everything it does is in service of being a horror game. The controls are unwieldy, combat's just not a very good idea, the atmosphere is deliberately surreal in a nonsensical way, and it absolutely demands that you suspend disbelief. If you can sit down in a dark room and allow yourself to meet the game halfway, it'll be fine. If you're constantly bringing yourself out of the zone with your own snarky interior monologue, it'll look ridiculous and play worse.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wanderer posted:

combat's just not a very good idea

Maybe for the first couple of chapters but as soon as you get some decent weapons and enough brain fluid to upgrade them it turns into Resi 4. The enemies do move faster than Ganados though, are tougher and you have to be a pretty accurate shot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Lotish posted:

I'm very torn on it, but I think I'm going to give it a shot and pick it up tomorrow. On the one hand it looks really weird and off-putting in parts, and some video I saw of people LPing it makes it seem bullshit hard, but that may just have been because they didn't know what they were doing?

That's a pretty safe bet with youtube LPers.

Also I really want The Evil Within but I'm only buying one full-price game this month and it's gonna be something else. :sigh: I hate how many good games come out all at once in the last few months of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe for the first couple of chapters but as soon as you get some decent weapons and enough brain fluid to upgrade them it turns into Resi 4. The enemies do move faster than Ganados though, are tougher and you have to be a pretty accurate shot.

See, RE 4 with modern controls is basically what I want, so if what you say is true, I think I'm going to like it.