Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Slaapaav posted:

went without ritalin for like 2 weeks, let me tell you about all the loving food i ate holy poo poo i ate a lot of loving food and like a billion meals a day and i am hella fat now. enjoying the low tolerance now and a nice cup off tea its so loving nice

Christ, I have been without since Monday and I'm going to pick up my new script today. I have had the worst headaches, my sleep is all hosed up and I have eaten the most food I have in a month, I don't know how you could go so long without it. I hate having to drive 45 minutes to pick up a piece of paper, drive 30 minutes to the pharmacy, wait 30 more minutes for them to fill it since I've been working whenever my doctor's office is open this week, but loving whatever. This poo poo helps enough to be worth the hassle

E: never mind, my insurance doesn't want to cover a higher dose, fantastic

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm awake at arse o'clock on barely any sleep just so I can call the doctor and not miss any doses of Ritalin and earn myself a migraine. :haw: Stimulant withdrawal: even less fun than SNRI withdrawal, somehow.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Does that happen? I missed a dose yesterday because I woke up late and didn't have any bad side effects.

One thing I want to ask about, though: My doc increased my dose a bit in the last few days and for a while now I've had this weirdest giddy feeling. It's like I'm halfway to a shiver or a sneeze that won't come and it just won't go away. It's not uncomfortable as such, but it's really distracting and I'm not quite sure what it's about. Anyone else ever experienced something like that?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Cardiovorax posted:

Does that happen? I missed a dose yesterday because I woke up late and didn't have any bad side effects.

It varies from person to person.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Slaapaav posted:

holy poo poo i forgot ritalin makes me so loving horny
I am starting to get a taste of that. It's, uh, certainly a thing. That's... absolutely not something I was expecting.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw my neuro yesterday and he confirmed my primary inattentive type, he prescribed 40mg Strattera as a trial since I don't like taking meds in general (for anything), I usually get every side effect under the sun and it ends up not worth it. Sure enough this morning the nausea is coming on in waves and it's loving horrible.

Anyone else with experience with Strattera, does eating before/skipping coffee in the morning/drinking water/anything at all help with the nausea?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I haven't taken Strattera before, but I do get Venlafaxin on the side, which is also a NERI. It's not strictly for ADHS, but if Strattera doesn't work out for you, you might want to try it.

In my experience, meds and coffee do not mix very well. What helps a lot is drinking a bunch of water or non-acidic juice. It's often not the meds in and of themselves that cause the nausea so much as the binding agents and the way the drug is chemically turned into a solid powder. Diluting that stuff really goes a long way.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Take it right before you go to bed on a nonempty stomach. Did the trick for me.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Don't take Strattera on an empty stomach. It gives me awful nausea when I do that.

I've found that you don't have to be as careful about caffeine on Strattera as you do with stimulant drugs, but your tolerance might be different.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Baby Babbeh posted:

Don't take Strattera on an empty stomach. It gives me awful nausea when I do that.

I've found that you don't have to be as careful about caffeine on Strattera as you do with stimulant drugs, but your tolerance might be different.

I've done my fair share of coke on Strattera and turned out fine, so I wouldn't sweat stimulants + Strattera.

Strattera also made me a super light sleeper so you may want to pair it with melatonin, which you can get at any drugstore.

Filipino Freakout
Mar 20, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
For the first day taking it, was weird, I actually had a hard crash late in the afternoon and literally had to lay down to catnap. I know it's not a stimulant but that was a weird sudden comedown-like experience. No issues sleeping at all, even though I've heard plenty have said that's a problem.

This morning I ate breakfast and drank a lot of water before taking it and had no nausea so thanks for the heads-up on that. When the drug manufacturer says you don't have to take with a meal, do it anyway!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
It's not Strattera but taking Concerta an empty stomach usually results in me puking.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I was diagnosed with ADD in middle school, which was a surprise to me, as I certainly didn't feel like I had trouble concentrating. At the time, I was probably a B average student, and didn't pay attention in most of my classes because I was bored out of my mind. The psychiatrist ignored me when I told him I didn't feel like I needed pills, and put me on Focalin. He kept me on that for years even though I never noticed a difference. I eventually quit on my own when I was 16, as I found out you had to be off that poo poo for at least a year to join the military, which was something I was considering at the time. Again, I didn't notice a difference on or off the pills. I was still the same procrastinating, barely motivated, B average student I had been for years. The whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth with regard to shrinks.

For those of you diagnosed as kids, how aware do you remember being of your issues? Could you tell that it was interfering with your ability to do well in class? I certainly couldn't.
Assuming that most kids aren't able to identify their shortcomings, how is the psychiatrist distinguishing between a teenager being casually indifferent, and a teen with a legitimate problem? From my point of view, it seems absurd that some guy was allowed to medicate me because my teachers didn't like me daydreaming in their classes.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 4, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Middle school and high school were hilariously easy for me. I noticed some help from the pills in middle school and high school, but I still could have gotten Bs without being medicated.

I stopped taking my pills in college and just could not pay attention for the life of me. Once you actually start getting challenged in your studies, the difference is night and day. It is also exceedingly noticeable in my daily life, I would be pretty useless if I never took my meds. I take days off every week, but without taking it the rest of the week and specifically setting up a schedule for the days I'm not going to take it, I would never get anything done.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I seem to have a particularly bad case given what I've heard of other's stories, but when I went off my meds (partially because my neurologist switched me from Concerta to Ritalin because ??? so they didn't work anymore) I basically went from functioning to struggling to keep up in school, and once I started taking college courses, I basically failed whenever a course required skills I was bad at (I failed English 101 twice and would have failed the equally-basic math courses if I hadn't started self-medicating with massive amounts of caffeine). And that's just the school side of things; I've noticed my daily-life issues have reached the point where I struggle to function vaguely normally. The :catdrugs: make a huge difference for me.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
So I am on 20mg of ER Dexedrine/day. Was diagnosed very late (age 25) and of course AFTER I had done my MCAT + all my pre-med courses. Probably for the best really. Went through a bunch of different drugs and formulations (ER and IR adderall/dex) til I arrived where I am at now.

I only wish I had gone on it sooner - while the "clean the ENTIRE APARTMENT and take notes on EVERYTHING" phase is over, I still feel generally better organized and able to retain things people tell me and to focus on what is happening in any given moment. before I was extremely predisposed to intrusive and distracting thoughts/daydreams/anxiety - while that has returned somewhat as I've developed tolerance to the drugs, its far better than it used to be and I don't really want to go up in dose. I definitely have noticed that I can barely tolerate caffeine. One cup of black tea in the morning is way more than enough, and often even too much for me.

Question - has anyone been on both ER Dexedrine and Vyvanse? If so is there a substantial difference between the two, subjectively speaking?

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 5, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

JohnSherman posted:

I was diagnosed with ADD in middle school, which was a surprise to me, as I certainly didn't feel like I had trouble concentrating. At the time, I was probably a B average student, and didn't pay attention in most of my classes because I was bored out of my mind. The psychiatrist ignored me when I told him I didn't feel like I needed pills, and put me on Focalin. He kept me on that for years even though I never noticed a difference. I eventually quit on my own when I was 16, as I found out you had to be off that poo poo for at least a year to join the military, which was something I was considering at the time. Again, I didn't notice a difference on or off the pills. I was still the same procrastinating, barely motivated, B average student I had been for years. The whole experience left me with a bad taste in my mouth with regard to shrinks.

For those of you diagnosed as kids, how aware do you remember being of your issues? Could you tell that it was interfering with your ability to do well in class? I certainly couldn't.
Assuming that most kids aren't able to identify their shortcomings, how is the psychiatrist distinguishing between a teenager being casually indifferent, and a teen with a legitimate problem? From my point of view, it seems absurd that some guy was allowed to medicate me because my teachers didn't like me daydreaming in their classes.

I had more trouble WITH the drugs than without back in Middle and High School. But as I said before in this thread...when I have STRUCTURE I am fine. I always had GREAT grades, but homework was NEVER done at home. If you take away my structure I just don't do anything or start like 5 things and never finish them...

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Serious question here. I haven't been taking any ritalin in the past days but yesterday I got this chest tightness after eating. Nothing too bad, it left after a minute or two. Then, last night I woke up while I was dreaming that I was choking, and I woke up with much worse chest tightness and difficulty breathing. I've had it before but it just doesn't happen very often at all. I just thought it was reflux or something, something to do with my position in bed. Now I've taken 10 mg as usual and I get this heart skipping a beat thing. Maybe it's just anxiety. MAybe it was my increased caffeine intake the last couple of days. What should I look out for and when should I worry?

alf_attack
Jul 22, 2013
I've been doing a lot of thinking about add and driving.

Backstory: as a kid, I always had problems focusing. I was one of those daydreamer kids. My mom got me a tutor who helped me focus with visual organization, reading comprehension, etc. It was only years later when I figured out all these problems were add.

Since then, I was on and off medication (first concerta, then Ritalin in college). After an emotional breakdown a year and a half ago, I started seeing a therapist again and went back on concerta. He urged me to be more confident and I've been doing well since then.

I've never been a great driver. But I've never been in an accident (that was my fault). I've also always been an anxious "worst case" driver. But I got that under control as a result of seeing a therapist.

But lately it seems that I don't feel in control. I do things like pulling out when a truck was a short distance away. I have trouble when I'm in the right lane and there is an on ramp. It's like my ability to make decisions is off. It's like I'm on a 2 second delay.

My fiancé and I get into fights about it where he says he doesn't feel safe with me driving. It is difficult to make a non-adder understand that I am doing my best.

Anyone have any tips for driving? I've heard the "no music" thing but that doesn't make a difference for me. I'm thinking upping the concerta may do the trick.

I'm planning on moving from the city to a car-reliant city and I just don't know what to do or how to cope.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

alf_attack posted:

Anyone have any tips for driving? I've heard the "no music" thing but that doesn't make a difference for me. I'm thinking upping the concerta may do the trick.

Being on Concerta did the same thing to my driving. How does your driving on Concerta compare to your driving unmedicated? If the delay is worse unmedicated, then up the dose of Concerta, if there's less delay unmedicated, talk to your doctor about switching drugs.

Personally, I drive better with music on. If I drive in silence, my mind wanders immediately. Driving with music on helps give the "extra" wandering bits of attention somewhere to land.

alf_attack posted:

My fiancé and I get into fights about it where he says he doesn't feel safe with me driving. It is difficult to make a non-adder understand that I am doing my best.

As much as it sucks, if your driving isn't safe, it doesn't matter that you're doing your best. For now, I'd let him drive if you're going somewhere together.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My wife doesn't drive at night if I'm available to drive her instead because she has depth perception problems. I see no real difference. If there's something that makes you a less safe driver, err on the side of safety.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

NeilPerry posted:

Serious question here. I haven't been taking any ritalin in the past days but yesterday I got this chest tightness after eating. Nothing too bad, it left after a minute or two. Then, last night I woke up while I was dreaming that I was choking, and I woke up with much worse chest tightness and difficulty breathing. I've had it before but it just doesn't happen very often at all. I just thought it was reflux or something, something to do with my position in bed. Now I've taken 10 mg as usual and I get this heart skipping a beat thing. Maybe it's just anxiety. MAybe it was my increased caffeine intake the last couple of days. What should I look out for and when should I worry?

See your doctor.

Stop drinking caffeine at minimum. Pretty much look forward to an ekg.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I find driving with an open window helps a bit. The street noises and the wind in my face keep me attentive. Well, more attentive, anyway.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I'm also a terrified driver. I found Strattera greatly improved my driving. Adderall not so much.

I noticed a lot of aspies also hate driving. Yet another mysterious overlap between ADD and aspergers. Both disorders involve difficulty sorting sensory input into a hierarchy.

At my last psychiatrist visit I was telling her that I am worried that I have Aspergers and no one told me my whole life to spare my feelings but secretly everyone is amused about how I mistakenly think I'm normal when I'm actually obviously different, like someone who has something stuck in their teeth and their friends feel too awkward to tell them.

She said I don't have aspergers but probably have anxiety. (I had insisted I didn't have anxiety because I was worried I couldn't be medicated for ADHD if she thought I did.)

But what if my psychiatrist is just saying that to spare my feelings but secretly is amused about how I mistakenly think I'm normal when I'm actually obviously different?!?!?! :v:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Almost forgot the biggest thing you can do to make yourself more attentive at the wheel: drive a manual

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

signalnoise posted:

Almost forgot the biggest thing you can do to make yourself more attentive at the wheel: drive a manual
Doesn't help nearly as much as you think it would, you start changing gears on pure muscle memory pretty quickly. I've never driven an automatic in my life, but I still keep zoning out every so often and end up wondering how I got where I am.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Doesn't help nearly as much as you think it would, you start changing gears on pure muscle memory pretty quickly. I've never driven an automatic in my life, but I still keep zoning out every so often and end up wondering how I got where I am.

But how often do you accidentally move forward ever so slowly because your foot isnt on the brake? The point is with a manual you have to actively do SOMETHING to make your car go, and every gear shift is a mild check on your attention. Gear grinding is a sure sign you got too comfortable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

signalnoise posted:

But how often do you accidentally move forward ever so slowly because your foot isnt on the brake? The point is with a manual you have to actively do SOMETHING to make your car go, and every gear shift is a mild check on your attention. Gear grinding is a sure sign you got too comfortable.
Only when I'm standing on inclines.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Xibanya posted:

I'm also a terrified driver. I found Strattera greatly improved my driving. Adderall not so much.

I noticed a lot of aspies also hate driving. Yet another mysterious overlap between ADD and aspergers. Both disorders involve difficulty sorting sensory input into a hierarchy.

At my last psychiatrist visit I was telling her that I am worried that I have Aspergers and no one told me my whole life to spare my feelings but secretly everyone is amused about how I mistakenly think I'm normal when I'm actually obviously different, like someone who has something stuck in their teeth and their friends feel too awkward to tell them.

She said I don't have aspergers but probably have anxiety. (I had insisted I didn't have anxiety because I was worried I couldn't be medicated for ADHD if she thought I did.)

But what if my psychiatrist is just saying that to spare my feelings but secretly is amused about how I mistakenly think I'm normal when I'm actually obviously different?!?!?! :v:

Anxiety treatment can be the first step to treating ADHD since if it goes untreated, the feelings of confusion, fogginess and the result of all the incomplete things in your life can cause anxiety and depression.
Just chill yo, I know that it's hard to slow down that racing brain, but chill out and try to think in a more logical and less paranoid manner about things

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Plus it takes quite a while to learn the ins and outs of your vehicle's operation (rev-matching downshifts, what speed = powerband for each gear, etc.) Even once you've learned your vehicle like the back of your hand, it is still more involving than driving an auto.

Even more involving when you have to double clutch some of your shifts, though that's only when my Jeep is cold!

I will never own an auto until they don't make manual transmissions anymore, and it is specifically for this reason; it makes me a safer driver and keeps me more focused while driving.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

I've been driving for over 15 years and am still a terribly aggressive driver. Power-sliding around corners, speeding, road rage, and many so many other questionable and impulsive decisions are my MO. Driving a manual doesn't help, because you get even the complexities of driving a manual, such as rev-matching and heel/toe, down to muscle memory and thus with no need to think about it, they cease to be a thing that grounds you while driving. I wish medication made a difference with my driving, and while it does make me more patient while sitting at a stop light, and more courteous towards other motorists, it also has a way of making me more aggressive at the same time.

The solution for me is riding a motorcycle whenever possible. The visceral feel of it combines all the stimulating benefits of riding a bicycle with the thrill of knowing you're probably going to die if you don't pay attention to your surroundings, and act in a conservative manner, while riding.

Marv Albert fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 8, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah motorbike works too. I prefer bicycle at the moment because I work shifts and the last thing I need after four days of working 12/day is to get on a crotch rocket and make a mistake but when I was in college nothing cleared my mind better than a few hours on my motorbike. Hopefully I reach a place in my life soon where I can get another.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta say, those sleep issues I was talking about a while ago? Went away like you wouldn't believe. I used to take sleeping pills nearly every evening, but for two weeks now or so I haven't needed a single one and sleep like a rock. I don't need any caffeine either, I don't even buy energy drinks anymore. It's pretty amazing how different I feel.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Any tips for killing caffeine addiction? Even with prescription stims I'm very very reliant on caffeine.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Reduce it slowly. I was able to quit almost cold turkey, but I earned some wicked headaches as a result.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I prefer the bandaid solution to stuff like that. I'm just incapable of sneaking out a bad habit slowly without falling back into it. It sucks, but at least it's over quickly.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

chthonic bell posted:

Reduce it slowly. I was able to quit almost cold turkey, but I earned some wicked headaches as a result.

Switch slowly to decaf.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

TheBigBad posted:

Switch slowly to decaf.

This is what I did...mix decaf in with normal and slowly cut the full caf out. The smell and taste alone will still give you a placebo effect.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Caffeine withdrawals give me the worst headaches imaginable, but at least they don't last very long. Much like me on a caffeine-free diet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone had to do ADHD re-testing?

I've 28 years old and I've been on/off the lowest dose of adderall. I use it when I need it and don't because it's expensive, makes turn me into a bigger rear end in a top hat than I already am and I don't want to develop a tolerance because it helps me tremendously.

My local doctor told me all the sudden I need ADHD re-testing and i'm suppose to have it every 4-7 years. The last time I had it was sometime in '97 and I am pretty certain no one grows out of ADD...

The testing takes up an entire day and costs a $1,000. This is ridiculous, who else has had to jump through the same hoops?