Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Dude was drafted by the Giants in 2000. He had TJS in 2002. He was one of the worst pitchers in the league all during this time. Goes to Japan to around 2005 I want to say. Isn't very good. Goes to winter ball. Somehow learns the secret art of pitching well there and get pick up and bounced around in minors in a couple team in 2009-2010, before getting signed to the minors for the Giants in 2011. Gets called and becomes the best pitcher on (really loving good) staff. Makes the All-Star Game. Continues being good in 2012, should have been an All-Stat again, becomes the Giants ace in the postseason.

Then he sucks in 2013 and breaks his hand. Barely gets resigned (for less than his club option was), comes back as pretty average. Rocks in the post at least one more time.

Dude's been through a lot, he's well traveled you might say.

Also that the dude and his family loving love the Giants and SF and are super appreciative of this second chance he's gotten. He's told stories about how LA offered him a minor league contract in the 2011 offseason and he rejected it even though it was then his only option of a job. That goes a long way for dumb fans like me.

quote:

The Giants didn't call [Ryan] Vogelsong right away. The Dodgers did, and made him an offer. Vogelsong asked [Giants' minor league catching instructor Guillermo] Rodriguez to contact the Giants again and relay this message, in essence: I don't want to be a Dodger. I am a Giant. If you want me, I'll sign for whatever you want to pay me.
-----
"I wish the trade would've never happened," Vogelsong says. "I wish I'd been here this whole time. But if 10 years ago you came up to me and say, 'This is what you're going to have to go through to get to this point,' I'd go through it, because it's done nothing but make me a better person, a better baseball player, and it's made me appreciate being a major-league baseball player a whole lot more."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Ryan-Vogelsong-s-long-strange-trip-to-SF-Giants-2368848.php

Akbar fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Harlock posted:

In the cases of players like Vogelsong, you just have to give credit to the GMs/development staff. Every team takes a flier on a dude who is past his prime/broke/busted, and if they turn into something magical it's an awesome gain for your team. The Phillies/Pirates had Brandon Moss, didn't see anything special about him and let him go, and now he flourishes in Oakland.
The Phillies had Vogelsong too. And Jason Grilli. :sigh:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

IcePhoenix posted:

Who was the guy on the Red Sox in 2004 that everyone knew was going to steal second and still went like 7/8 when used as a pinch runner?

Never gets old :allears: Tenth anniversary is coming up!

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Akbar posted:

Also that the dude and his family loving love the Giants and SF and are super appreciative of this second chance he's gotten. He's told stories about how LA offered him a minor league contract in the 2011 offseason and he rejected it even though it was then his only option of a job. That goes a long way for dumb fans like me.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Ryan-Vogelsong-s-long-strange-trip-to-SF-Giants-2368848.php

Oh yeah, Vogelsong is one of the Giantest Giants to ever play for them. I didn't include that part though because I figured it wouldn't matter as much to a non-Giants fan. But hey I've made terrible assumes before.

In my (junk) opinion he deserves a statue at AT&T whenever he retires. He won't get one for obvious reasons.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

howe_sam posted:

Never gets old :allears: Tenth anniversary is coming up!

This never happened imo

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just a reminder, if the Royals win the WS, Raul Ibanez gets a ring.

Go Royals.

I adopted the Giants as my NL team at the turn of the millenium (before the Seahawks moved to the NFC West, mind you), so I'm down with them advancing too.

Orioles are an acceptable option.

Essentially, anyone but the Cards please.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Lets go Mets woooo

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

the popes toes posted:

Teams nowadays, they can't help it. It's that smug loving bird. It's mesmerizing and intimidating. The O's come out of the dugout, and the other guys see that loving cartoon bird, they see it and they just know. They hate that loving cartoon. That's an edge.

The stories this bird could tell. You know you want to sit down and have a beer with it.

(needs animated .gif version with spinning hypnosis spirals for eyes)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

the popes toes posted:

Let's get this relative payroll thing out of the way.

Giants $149,089,475

Cardinals $111,250,000

Orioles $107,466,653

Royals $92,185,521

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys players. A Royals 149MM payroll is an absurd thought to entertain, as is a Giants 92MM payroll. But the Orioles and Cards are much closer than I imagined.

I think it probably makes more sense to use end-of-year payrolls, since richer teams can are willing to afford to take on bigger salaries mid-season, in which case the numbers are:

Giants $166.6M
Cardinals $141.7M
Orioles $114.3M
Royals $102.2M

e: (Numbers from B-Ref)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
I'd rather there be some sort of 2002-All-Star-Game-esque fiasco where the is no champion than have the Cardinals win it again.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I didn't even know this until Grant Brisbee posted it on twitter but evidently AJ Pierzynski's on the Cardinals.

St. Louis must burn.

e: just found this gif. gently caress yeah Will Clark.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 9, 2014

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Akbar posted:

I didn't even know this until Grant Brisbee posted it on twitter but evidently AJ Pierzynski's on the Cardinals.

St. Louis must burn.

How...how...did you not know that?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Akbar posted:

Best part of this is Candy Maldonado flying in at the end. Get 'em Candy!

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Mornacale posted:

I think it probably makes more sense to use end-of-year payrolls, since richer teams can are willing to afford to take on bigger salaries mid-season, in which case the numbers are:

Giants $166.6M
Cardinals $141.7M
Orioles $114.3M
Royals $102.2M

This isnt accurate for the cards, aj is getting paid the min and the redsox gave money in the lackey deal i think around 3 mill. They arent paying mastersons full salary either. Not that the cardinals cant afford to pay that amount, the organization has to be flush with cash with the playoff runs and over 3 million+ fans in the park again this year. It really is sad they didnt have a bench this season when they could obviously afford it. I guess the Mark Ellis experiment didnt work but would have been nice to see them get a righthanded bat at the deadline.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Akbar posted:

St. Louis must burn.

You mean the Will Clark that retired a Cardinal :smugdog:

edit - oh poo poo, I forgot how awesome he was that brief part of the year, OPS'd 1.081 over 51 games :monocle:

Carlton Banks fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 9, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mornacale posted:

Giants $166.6M
Cardinals $141.7M
Orioles $114.3M
Royals $102.2M

Wait, what the gently caress? How did the Cards increase in payroll by 30 million over the course of the season? The only players they acquired were George Kottaras (league minimum), AJP (league minimum; rest covered by BoSox), John Lackey, and Justin Masterson (Indians covered some of his salary too, I believe.)

I'm not saying the $141 number isn't right, but one of the two numbers is definitely wrong.

e: yeah, it just added on the full 2014 salaries for AJP, Lackey, and Masterson. So instead of adding 30 million, you should add, like...maybe 5, tops.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

How...how...did you not know that?

Not knowing about a team you (presumably) dont follow picking up a well-past-his-prime backup catcher isnt really that crazy

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Monicro posted:

Not knowing about a team you (presumably) dont follow picking up a well-past-his-prime backup catcher isnt really that crazy

Yeah he posts here, and we were all talking about it when they picked him up because it was another reason to hate the Cardinals. I would have thought he would have picked it up indirectly from us at least at this point.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
SNY is showing a faux game show where the premise is the Mets radio and TV broadcasters square off in a battle of Mets knowledge.

E: This is amazing. It's so bad it's good territory.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 9, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

He's not even on the playoff roster! (He should be, but given that backup catcher is like the least consequential roster spot in a playoff series, who gives a poo poo)

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

FairGame posted:

He's not even on the playoff roster! (He should be, but given that backup catcher is like the least consequential roster spot in a playoff series, who gives a poo poo)

Normally, but then Avila got his eggs scrambled and their backup was a hot mess.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

FairGame posted:

(He should be, but given that backup catcher is like the least consequential roster spot in a playoff series, who gives a poo poo)

I dunno, he might be better as a cheerleader after this and that.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

the popes toes posted:

Teams nowadays, they can't help it. It's that smug loving bird. It's mesmerizing and intimidating. The O's come out of the dugout, and the other guys see that loving cartoon bird, they see it and they just know. They hate that loving cartoon. That's an edge.

Put this on my tombstone tia

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Akbar posted:

This is from the last thread but he did a what now?

Pence plays Hearthstone and Diablo 3. Though during vanilla Diablo, he preferred Path of Exile because D3 launched without PKs. Apparently he likes PVP.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Yeah he posts here, and we were all talking about it when they picked him up because it was another reason to hate the Cardinals. I would have thought he would have picked it up indirectly from us at least at this point.

I usually don't follow the N/V thread during the regular season v:shobon:v

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

angrygodofjebus posted:

I dunno, he might be better as a cheerleader after this and that.

Is he shouting gently caress you, motherfuckers at the dodger dugout?

Malaclypse
Sep 12, 2000

alone in the dark and scared always scared as hell
Pretty sure Grant Brisbee is a Goon. He used the phrase "We're talking about Travis Ishikawa, again. Literally Travis Ishikawa."

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Goes to Japan to around 2005 I want to say. Isn't very good. Goes to winter ball. Somehow learns the secret art of pitching well there and

You're off by a few years, and Japan Vogelsong was alright. He hated the DH and pitched closer to Giants Vogelsong (or the properly regressed median, anyway) than Pirates Vogelsong.

Also, he left Pittsburgh recently enough that there are still archives on Bucs Dugout complaining about him, and their archives don't go back as far as many SBN sites.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

FairGame posted:

Is he shouting gently caress you, motherfuckers at the dodger dugout?

I think it was at the pitcher, but yes

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

angrygodofjebus posted:

I think it was at the pitcher, but yes

AJP is an rear end in a top hat, wow.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

You're off by a few years, and Japan Vogelsong was alright. He hated the DH and pitched closer to Giants Vogelsong (or the properly regressed median, anyway) than Pirates Vogelsong.

Also, he left Pittsburgh recently enough that there are still archives on Bucs Dugout complaining about him, and their archives don't go back as far as many SBN sites.

You're right, he's goes over in 2007-2008ish. I was doing that from memory, hence the qualifying statements on dates.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quasimango posted:

Bryce Harper in the NLDS: .294/.368/.882 for a 1.251 OPS

All other Nats: .148/.204/.183 for a .387 OPS

I'm sure someone else has mentioned that but I just worked it out and it's amazing.

So glad he batted sixth in the lineup.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Rand alPaul posted:

So glad he batted sixth in the lineup.

Wait what

I mean i wasn't paying super close attention to the Nationals this year but

:stare:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Giants should have Mike Morse back for the NLCS. He played in an Instructional League game today and said he feels 100%. Probably won't be in left field since he hasn't played in over a month, but at least he gives us a home run threat off the bench.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

kalensc posted:

Wait what

I mean i wasn't paying super close attention to the Nationals this year but

:stare:

Denard Span
Anthony Rendon
Jayson Werth
Adam LaRoche
Ian Desmond
Bryce Harper

It's not all that crazy. He's been worse than most of those other hitters this year. And Desmond has been pretty hot in the second half.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/status/520009858222157824

quote:

@DarrenWolfson

Ryan on Sano, who he was with yesterday in Ft. Myers: "He looks pretty healthy... He could go to the outfield if needed." #mntwins

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

FairGame posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? How did the Cards increase in payroll by 30 million over the course of the season? The only players they acquired were George Kottaras (league minimum), AJP (league minimum; rest covered by BoSox), John Lackey, and Justin Masterson (Indians covered some of his salary too, I believe.)

I'm not saying the $141 number isn't right, but one of the two numbers is definitely wrong.

e: yeah, it just added on the full 2014 salaries for AJP, Lackey, and Masterson. So instead of adding 30 million, you should add, like...maybe 5, tops.

Teams also add several million over the season just from waiver claims and purchasing minor league contracts due to injury/ineffectiveness/rookie debuts and those kinds of trivial moves, as well. But I'll have to quit referring to B-R if it's completely misreporting Pierzynski's salary.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

No baseball sucks, this offseason may kill me

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Malaclypse posted:

Pretty sure Grant Brisbee is a Goon. He used the phrase "We're talking about Travis Ishikawa, again. Literally Travis Ishikawa."

He does follow Lowtax on Twitter. I'M ON TO YOU FRISBEE!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Craptacular! posted:

Wow that's a hell of a thing to see Vogey mashing a tater. The blood of Bonds flows strongly in him. He is a true Giant.

• Locked thread