Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
So, who did Grisha eat to become a titan in the first place? Or should we assume he used the same serum to transform himself first when he devoured the Reiss family? If so, how did he create it? I guess the secret in the basement involves creating titans, or maybe the big secret is if you know how to create titans, then you also know how to un-create them

I can't say I am happy about this development. I foresaw it, but I was hoping Grisha would reappear at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

Pretty much as everyone suspected by now "when a titan eats a human who can become a titan it gains their powers". But in this case why didn't that titan that ate Eren gain his powers?

my guess is you have to digest the nape of the neck to get the power.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Titans don't digest

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

RatHat posted:

Seems like it, yeah. She might have been the one holding the coordinate too since she was a shifter.

Nah, it was probably someone else. I mean, it COULD have been her, I don't know how titan powers work, but if we're assuming she's never devoured someone and was simply born as she was, then her titan power is the ability to control memories.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

What's really interesting to think about is - was Grisha originally on the royals' side, but later turned on them and sold them out to whoever's ordering Annie, Bert and Ernie? Or was he an infiltrator from the very beginning, hoping to gain and exploit their knowledge?
My guess right now would be that Grisha was the Reiss families top researcher who violently disagreed with his boss's "abandon a third of humanity to the titans instead of using my shifter powers to throw out these invaders" plan in the aftermath of the attack on Wall Maria. Taking those powers away from the supposed guardians of humanity and giving them to someone who would actually use them, basically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 30, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper posted:

Nah, it was probably someone else. I mean, it COULD have been her, I don't know how titan powers work, but if we're assuming she's never devoured someone and was simply born as she was, then her titan power is the ability to control memories.

Adding to this: It is quite possible that only Eren can access memories from those he has devoured because of Frieda's memory powers. It was never implied Ymir had memories from Marcel's perspective. Also, it would mean Eren not only has the power to command Titans, but also has the same powers of memory control Frieda used on Historia. So if we assume two different royal members had the Coordinate and Memory powers - which makes sense when you consider humanity's entire loss of memory of life before the walls, and how there are titans inside the walls - that's two known powers out of six eaten. And then there's the possibility that Grisha had a power from before. Eren's like a Titan power piñata at this point.

Terper fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sheesh, you guys hyped this up way too much.

Half of what kicked off the plot just got solved. Speaking of character development though, this is probably one of Eren's final humiliations. He points out in previous chapters how useless he feels, and even this chapter he laments how frequently he's captured. He's either going to remain an item people attempt to obtain for their own devices and suffer for it or start making his own decisions and be more proactive as humanity's savior, instead of reactive to everything that happens around him.

I feel he's been joined up with Historia for this entire arc to highlight how they're both in the same boat. The people around them just want to use them for their own benefit, but both aren't mature or strong enough to make their own decisions.

It's a pretty significant chapter.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 9, 2014

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sheesh, you guys hyped this up way too much.

The people are hungry.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Brannock posted:

I'm kind of tempted to go back and dig up all the posts that explicitly and adamantly argued that this exact reveal wouldn't happen and proceeded to call people idiots for picking up on the clues. This stuff had been hinted at pretty clearly for a few dozen chapters.

I thought this was funny too. A couple people theorized that Eren devoured his father and others said this was a ridiculous assumption. I thought it was a pretty good theory and as the chapters progressed it became more and more apparent that this was the case. Like when Hanji was doing experiments with Eren making him try and speak and write and build things as a Titan. He flipped out and realized that he had killed his father. People still thought that wasn't the case....

So those who came to this conclusion early on, good call.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Saagonsa posted:

Titans don't digest

There was acid digesting other people when Erin was eaten. They just throw up the remains instead of passing them on to the intestine.

Speculation: The emotional pain of realizing that he ate his dad triggers Erin's titan transformation :black101:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So can Historia also transform into a titan? That female titan looks a lot like her.Or was that one of her half-sisters?

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 9, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I like the visual imagery on page 43 and 45.

Not only is it really well drawn but Eren is wearing very similar clothes to his father.

But yeah big plot points.

Erwin and Zackley don't really care about humanity. Just their agendas. Though Erwin may be playing along. He's based on Ozymandias from The Watchmen after all.

I would say the care for humanity, but in that care... what agenda should they follow, theirs or the one from other people? In the end, they choose their own individual agenda and judgement, not trusting the rest.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

So can Historia also transform into a titan? That female titan looks a lot like her.Or was that one of her half-sisters?

I think that was Frieda, it just looked her angry face in the top left panel of that page suggested she was about to transform, but I'm not sure.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RatHat posted:

What? It's my understanding that ALL titans were originally humans. Ymir appeared to just be a regular titan before she ate a shifter afterall.

So the memories Eren has are from the Reiss family and who they've eaten. But what about the weird part in the first chapter with Eren apparently having a flashback? That takes place before Eren would've ate his father and gained the memories. This also debunks the theory that he used his coordinate power on Mikasa when she killed the bandit when they were kids.

Anyway, I wonder what Grisha was trying to accomplish by having Eren eat him. Was it just so the coordinate power would be hidden since no one would know Eren had it?

I suppose Grisha knew the Reiss family was about to do something with the coordinate power that he didn't agree with, and he decided to stole it and "hide it" in his kid. Who would thought he would offer himself to be eaten. It had to be something very important.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Saagonsa posted:

Titans don't digest

They don't digest normal humans. But about shifters humans...

And I liked Geographia more than Frieda. :(

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

.Clash posted:

Nah I don't think so he intended to come back and show eren the basement and whatever the next step of his plan was. Not to mention leaving them to likely get killed by titans.

But then it would be just a big coincidence that he left to eat the Reiss exactly the same night Reinner and Berthold striked at Wall Maria? I dont think so. He did intended to go back, but to do exactly what he done: pass to Eren the powers he obtained. Of course Eren could have been killed in the chaos, but I guess he took his chances, probably because he had too, he had no choice.

Another theory: Reinner and the gang attacked the walls because of the Reiss, to steal their power. Basically, Reinner and Berthold would breach the walls and cause mayhem while Annie would infiltrate, make her way to the chapel and get the coordinate powers. And then maybe they would kill everyone inside the walls.

However, Grisha knew about it, somehow. And decided that he could not let that happen. So he hastily left just before the attack and got there first and got the powers himself before Annie could do it. When Annie got there, she realized they were robbed from their main objective, and that's why the attack was aborted (they could have destroyed everything, but they stopped and left).

That would mean Grisha belongs to a different faction here, with his own goals, not aligned with the Reiss or the Reinner gang.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Terper posted:

Adding to this: It is quite possible that only Eren can access memories from those he has devoured because of Frieda's memory powers. It was never implied Ymir had memories from Marcel's perspective. Also, it would mean Eren not only has the power to command Titans, but also has the same powers of memory control Frieda used on Historia. So if we assume two different royal members had the Coordinate and Memory powers - which makes sense when you consider humanity's entire loss of memory of life before the walls, and how there are titans inside the walls - that's two known powers out of six eaten. And then there's the possibility that Grisha had a power from before. Eren's like a Titan power piñata at this point.

I agree, I always made a distinction between the shifter power, the coordinate power and the memory power, in fact I made a post a month or two ago about that, and how all of them can be transferred through devouring.
Though, good observation, about the use of the memory power to reclaim past memories of the eaten, I didn't think about that.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Grisha may not even have been a shifter before the church massacre. He might have injected himself with the same mindless Titan formula that Eren got, gambling that he'd eat someone with shifter powers.

Given the synchronized actions of Grisha and Reiner, I can only assume they were working together from the start. It's entirely possible the entire reason for the wall attack was to stop whatever the Reiss family was doing in that church.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Squidster posted:

Grisha may not even have been a shifter before the church massacre. He might have injected himself with the same mindless Titan formula that Eren got, gambling that he'd eat someone with shifter powers.

Given the synchronized actions of Grisha and Reiner, I can only assume they were working together from the start. It's entirely possible the entire reason for the wall attack was to stop whatever the Reiss family was doing in that church.

They were standing in a circle, right? The circle is a symbol of the wall. Maybe they were trying to awaken the wall titans?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Squidster posted:

Yep, that's also true. So many variables.

I love it. :)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't imagine Grisha and Reiner's team working together. They attacked his city, where his wife and son and adopted daughter lived. They're responsible for Carla's death. If Grisha really did conspire with the outsiders, why wouldn't they pick another city to attack? Plus, Reiner and crew wanted the Coordinate, which Grisha then hid in Eren, his son of all people, making him their next target.

Basically: we thought we got answers, we only got more and more questions. :negative:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Terper posted:

I can't imagine Grisha and Reiner's team working together. They attacked his city, where his wife and son and adopted daughter lived. They're responsible for Carla's death. If Grisha really did conspire with the outsiders, why wouldn't they pick another city to attack? Plus, Reiner and crew wanted the Coordinate, which Grisha then hid in Eren, his son of all people, making him their next target.

Basically: we thought we got answers, we only got more and more questions. :negative:

Bert and Rainer said that they were going to kill everyone, and only changed their minds when they saw Eren transform. So, Grisha might have been simply trying to prevent a massacre.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

my dad posted:

Bert and Rainer said that they were going to kill everyone, and only changed their minds when they saw Eren transform. So, Grisha might have been simply trying to prevent a massacre.

An even more important question: why they didnt kill everyone on the first time they attacked? As I said above, their objectives were probably connected with the Reiss, with whatever they were doing on the chapel.

But then Grisha spoiled it, and that's why they aborted the mission and left after breaching wall Maria.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvv if their objective was to bust the Reiss party and get the coordinate power, as I think it was, Grisha spoiled it by getting there first and stealing it for himself

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 9, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Grisha didn't get back to their city for days after the attack - his actions didn't affect Reiner's killers. If anything, Ymir was the one who hosed that up by taking out a third of the attacking force.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
It seems like their initial attack was just a jab, not a knockout punch, just like their attack in Trost. They had the overall goal of killing everyone behind the walls but they pulled back each time and embedded themselves in the army because they wanted to see how the military/ruling class would react. It seems like Shiftertown was worried that the Reiss family or whatever could actually wipe them out or at least put up a strong resistance. I think Bert and Reiner were shocked that the ruling class let them get that far without putting up any real resistance.

They're probably going to end up like Avalanche in FF7: killed civilians in a terrorist attack for 'the greater good', realize they were wrong to do that, are the good guys, and are gonna get Sephireiss in the end

I don't think Grisha was connected with their attack. He was most likely acting on his own, or possibly is connected to Magilla. then again, Isayama could be introducing more poo poo to extend the story and make as much $$$ as possible and doesn't want to end it in 100 anymore

visceril fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 9, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

visceril posted:

then again, Isayama could be introducing more poo poo to extend the story and make as much $$$ as possible and doesn't want to end it in 100 anymore

"Their memories" are first mentioned a loooooong time ago. A lot of people were expecting something like this to happen eventually, it's not money grabbing story extension.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

my dad posted:

"Their memories" are first mentioned a loooooong time ago. A lot of people were expecting something like this to happen eventually, it's not money grabbing story extension.

I meant that as far as introducing more factions and complicating the story further, making the story longer

Pulling a Gurm, in other words

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

The initial Wall attack's only purpose was to insert infiltrators into the Military Police. The second wall attack would have collapsed all of humanity into the inner ring, and allowed the infiltrators to quickly climb the ranks.

It's not that Reiner's group is afraid of the Reiss family, but more that they don't know who the secret rulers of the walls are. The Reiss family has gone to a great deal of effort to stay secretive and hidden with their puppet government, so it stands to reason that they're in hiding for a reason. If the second wall fell, the refugees rebelled and the inner city broke down into chaos, the real power there would have to reveal themselves to restore order.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

visceril posted:

I meant that as far as introducing more factions and complicating the story further, making the story longer

Pulling a Gurm, in other words

Well, yeah, you never know, it may be the case. It's a popular manga, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Still no clue where monkey titan fits into the picture now.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Terper posted:

Maybe he wasn't in on the attack and that was the turning point that made him give eren the injector.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Breaky posted:

Next chapter will end with Kenny facing down the rest of the gang in the church, when suddenly George lifts up the roof of the church and peeks in. "Hellloooo. :3:"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I keep thinking about how Eren and Historia have the same eyes. Could Eren be another illegitimate child of Reiss' and Eren's mom, placed under the custody of loyalist Greisha?

Reiss family were devoured the night of the wall breach? But Eren's last visit from his father was before that...so might the memory wiping power also possibly have the ability to implant other's memories?

I have some rereading to do I think.

e. vvv yeah I have the sequence of attacks wrong probably. Still.

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Reiss family were devoured the night of the wall breach? But Eren's last visit from his father was before that...so might the memory wiping power also possibly have the ability to implant other's memories?

Grisha injected Eren several days after the Wall fell.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Breaky posted:

He's probably an agent from the shifter village, sent because the higher-ups were tired of waiting on Berthold and Reiner to find the coordinate.

My guess is that the final endgame of the series will involve the infiltrators joining humanity against the leaders of the shifter village.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

HorseRenoir posted:

He's probably an agent from the shifter village, sent because the higher-ups were tired of waiting on Berthold and Reiner to find the coordinate.

My guess is that the final endgame of the series will involve the infiltrators joining humanity against the leaders of the shifter village.

Cant be. The shifter village guys know all about humans inside the wall, Monkey Trouble was puzzled by 3D gear.

Besides, he was throwing rocks on Reinner and Bert, he almost killed then.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"Q: Who is Mikasa’s best friend among the 104th girls?
A: Armin."

:allears: Isayama. More here.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Q: Is Commander Erwin not married?
A: Yes. He has no idea when he’ll die, so he’s not married.

Erwin will reject everything in this life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I think it's possible that monkey trouble may be a recent development, possible even one of the catalysts that started the current situation. What got me thinking this is what we currently know about Ymir. It's now been confirmed that what Ymir "stole" was not the titan power itself, but the shifter ability.

We also know that:
-Ymir was turned into a titan about 60 years ago.
-Ymir is familiar with the Titan village, but not monkey trouble. She seems to know exactly what's up with Bert and Reiner but has to ask them what monkey rouble is. She also seems to assume that they are not working with him, but where looking for him.

So I think there are three possibilities regarding him.
1. He is simply part of the Titan village's group and was working independently of the Trio but is ultimately on their side. Monkey trouble showing up simply indicated that the next stage of the plan is in motion and the trio are free to go home. The main caveat against this, as has been pointed out, is his apparent lack of knowledge of the Walled civilization.

2. Monkey trouble is part of a group that came into being sometime in the last 60 years and upset the status quo. He seemed to be able to both create and (to a degree) direct titans. Could a bunch of the titan village's powers have fallen into the hands of someone/something else? What if the reason they came to the Walls to get the coordinate power was because they used to have one but lost it. They knew they could get another from the Walled territory so set in motion a plan to steal it.

Remember back during the training chapters when Berthold tells that story about his home being attacked by Titans? We now now he was lying about that being after the first attack on the walls. However Reiner's reaction to it suggests that he may have been telling a real story. Maybe that was whatever system the Titan Village had in place to keep safe outside the walls failing.

Reiner seems to believe that a big disaster is coming on the horizon, and their side is the one that is most likely to survive it. Everything is about to fall apart and they are getting ready for it.

3. Monkey trouble is completely unrelated to any of the currently know factions.