Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I don't really know how "engines" work necessarily; but I've notice that I love almost every game I play with the Havok engine.

Dark Souls, the Arkham games, Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of Mordor. They're all just so fun to play.

I remember a time where the "Unreal" engine was a big selling point, but I was never really impressed with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Lavender posted:

I don't really know how "engines" work necessarily; but I've notice that I love almost every game I play with the Havok engine.

Dark Souls, the Arkham games, Kingdoms of Amalur, Shadow of Mordor. They're all just so fun to play.

I remember a time where the "Unreal" engine was a big selling point, but I was never really impressed with that.

Havok's a physics engine. The most involved you've probably seen it is in Half-Life 2. I'm pretty sure all of those games run on different game engines, but use Havok for physics. I know Arkham's done with Unreal, but I'm not sure about the rest.

So yeah, Havok's not responsible for the quality of those games, but if you had fun kicking debris around in all of them then it is responsible for that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Cleretic posted:

Havok's a physics engine. The most involved you've probably seen it is in Half-Life 2. I'm pretty sure all of those games run on different game engines, but use Havok for physics. I know Arkham's done with Unreal, but I'm not sure about the rest.

So yeah, Havok's not responsible for the quality of those games, but if you had fun kicking debris around in all of them then it is responsible for that.

I did have fun doing that; though it may be just a coincidence that those games are some of my favorites. I didn't even know about Half-Life 2, and I forgot about Borderlands 2. I just can't think of a game with that logo in it at the beginning that I didn't really like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Lavender posted:

Just for a quick little lesson :eng101:; Engines are basically bundles of pre-defined code actions to save time when making games. Rather than having to program in complex things like gravity or lighting, that's already done in a pre-built engine like Havok. All the programmers then need to do is define their created object's values within that. For a rough example with made-up pseudocode; Light.Ceiling01.LightGenerated() = 50. The game engine will know what this means and the ceiling light will generate 50 units of light.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Captain Lavender posted:

Dark Souls and Kingdoms of Amalur both used "in-house" game engines, while the Batman games use Unreal Engine 3 and Shadow of Mordor uses something called LithTech Jupiter EX (with modifications from the whole nemesis thing).

Havok just sticks out and is memorable because they insist on plastering their huge yellow logo all over most games so it's the first thing you see when you load them up. And because they make loving hilarious ragdolls.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

scamtank posted:

My favorite Uruk captain so far was Bishgûr the Brain Damaged. Too crazy to talk.

His pre-fight smack talk consisted of an intense concentration face, a dawning realization and rapid teeth-chattering.

I had one who would only giggle and breath heavily. Creepy as gently caress.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kimmalah posted:

LithTech Jupiter EX

This could be the title of a JRPG, specifically one about mechs in space. I guess it's better than "Dan's Really Cool Engine."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

LithTech was the engine used in the No One Lives Forever series a decade ago, which still isn't on Steam. Does an engine that gets worked on over 10 years still have all it's original features from its release, or is it common for each new instalment of an engine to cut something?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Usually not, although occasionally you do get instances where obscure ultra-low level stuff remains mostly untouched for a long time. I believe the final pieces of Quake still left in Source were expunged around the time of the Orange Box, for instance, but the idea that the engine powering Portal contains code that also powered Quake 1 is certainly interesting. This isn't because features are "cut," but more often because modules are rewritten to support new rendering techniques or to enhance speed or maintainability.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
There's a button in SSB4 that makes Kirby wave at the camera and cheerily shout "Hi!!!".

That is all.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Game engines are kind of a mix-and-match thing. That actually caused Gamebryo to get a ton of flack for being a glitchy mess due to being used in Oblivion, but it was actually the in-house Radiant engine, Havok, and general poor level design that caused most of the bugs. Gamebryo itself is just a graphics engine. It was used in Catherine, which has a radically different visual style to Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout and isn't a buggy piece of poo poo as far as I know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Stelio Kontos posted:

There's a button in SSB4 that makes Kirby wave at the camera and cheerily shout "Hi!!!".

That is all.

Hasn't that been in every SSB?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah! It was a little thing in those games, too!

Fighting games with a taunt button are great.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I always liked Luigi's "aww shucks" kinda kick that he does for his taunt.

Edit: bonus video of him killing everyone with it.

http://youtu.be/kp_EhEL_ltU

Draven has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Oct 8, 2014

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
The dedicated hug button in the Wii's A Boy and his Blob was the best thing to happen to gaming since sliced fruit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wild T posted:

Every post I have in this thread seems to be about F.E.A.R., but goddammit...

Ironically this is what ruined the F.E.A.R. series' storyline for me. The first has you fighting through Armacham strongholds and offices, ultimately discovering a secret research facility built in a bunker underground to contain Alma. Along the way you find telephone messages from researchers, random employees and corporate executives arguing about how to deal with the situations leading up to the game. It's very mundane and organic and makes it feel like they're just your run-of-the-mill unscrupulous government defense contractor, struggling to run damage control for it's employees who blundered backwards into some freaky paranormal poo poo.

The sequel elevates Armacham into what is essentially the Umbrella Corporation. They own entire hospitals that are really secret research labs under Freeport to create super soldiers, secretly control the local elementary school because it's really secret research labs under Freeport to create super pyschics and have you struggling to reach a secret research lab under Freeport made to create super human psychics as the final goal of the game. It's very lazy and uninspired after creating what was, ironically, a very human company in the original game.

I agree with all of this. I liked the bit where you hear one guy desperately trying to paper over the clearly significant differences between Harlan Wade and Genevieve Aristide (two of the bigwigs.) Right after you hear an obscenity-laced tirade that Harlan left on Aristide's phone, you hear a message that starts "well, what I think Harlan was trying to say was…"

StandardVC10 has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Oct 8, 2014

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CJacobs posted:

Deadpool's taunt in MVC3 was great. "This is my taunt button!"

Actually, everything about Deadpool made that game great. He moonwalks, he screams "SHORYUKEN!" when you uppercut someone, and one of his hyper moves has him beat someone with his own lifebar. Deadpool may be "monkeycheese random lol" bullshit, but I still love him. Also because he's voiced by Nolan North.

Also, you can make a perfect 1:1 Deadpool in Saints Row 4, complete with Nolan's voice. Deadpool should have his own sandbox game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I always loved that in DMC4, if you manage to get running in combat, and press the taunt button while running (which is Select - as much removed form any buttons you will try to press in that situation as possible), Nero does a sweet dropkick. It does damage to enemies as well.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dishonored has a really neat little detail that I never noticed until someone told me and I went back and checked. Throughout the game there are wanted posters scattered about. The content of the posters actually changes based on how you've been playing. If Corvo is never spotted by a guard there'll be no picture on the posters, just a large '?'.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Havok just sticks out and is memorable because they insist on plastering their huge yellow logo all over most games so it's the first thing you see when you load them up. And because they make loving hilarious ragdolls.

No joke I'd play and have a lot of fun with a game that was just loving with Havok ragdolls, maybe solving puzzles by flinging them places with a frontflip. I spent hours doing this while waiting for Dark Souls 1 matchmaking to click

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Dishonored has a really neat little detail that I never noticed until someone told me and I went back and checked. Throughout the game there are wanted posters scattered about. The content of the posters actually changes based on how you've been playing. If Corvo is never spotted by a guard there'll be no picture on the posters, just a large '?'.

If I remember correctly they will also post updated versions around with new crimes attributed to you with the bounty growing.
I think some locations never get the memo on more recent stuff and just use the older versions (might be wrong on that count though).

I loved how well they tied the Outsider into the game mechanics regarding enemies. Anyone linked to him has advantages over the average enemies and act as quasi-bosses in several cases. It varies from person to person too.
Witches have completely different skills from the assassins, a bunch are immune to bending time, and the followers get a bleed of powers onto them too (Daud writes about his theories about how that works but even he's unsure).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Chard posted:

No joke I'd play and have a lot of fun with a game that was just loving with Havok ragdolls, maybe solving puzzles by flinging them places with a frontflip. I spent hours doing this while waiting for Dark Souls 1 matchmaking to click

So something like...this?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was so happy to find that SSB4 Bowser Jr's alternate skins are each of the Koopalings, with their own models, voices, and everything.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Or Flatout

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Havok released a tech demo some 15 years ago where there is a cowboy in a saloon. You'd press a numpad button to apply force in that section of the body (8 was the center of the head, 1 would be his right leg). Every object including the bannister and tables were made of small bricks that would collapse under his weight.

That poo poo was incredible when I was a kid.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

dpbjinc posted:

Game engines are kind of a mix-and-match thing. That actually caused Gamebryo to get a ton of flack for being a glitchy mess due to being used in Oblivion, but it was actually the in-house Radiant engine, Havok, and general poor level design that caused most of the bugs. Gamebryo itself is just a graphics engine. It was used in Catherine, which has a radically different visual style to Morrowind/Oblivion/Fallout and isn't a buggy piece of poo poo as far as I know.

Gamebryo is also used in both Rocksmith games. Anyone who claims the issues with Elder Scrolls/Fallout games stem from the Gamebryo engine are just missing the point entirely.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

Is that a sequel to Porrasturvat... or however you spell it in the crazy language that is German?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

PJOmega posted:

Is that a sequel to Porrasturvat... or however you spell it in the crazy language that is German?

Yes. No, Finnish.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

That game is amazing and full of it's own "little things"
https://everyplay.com/videos/9645398

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Skyrim has several things dragging it down but by god when it gets things right it gets them right.

Case in point: during a quest I had to defend some place from an attacking army. As the foe climbed over the walls I FUS-RO-DAH'd them right off the edge; then I turned around and saw an ally getting surrounded by three enemies. I nailed one of them with an arrow to the neck, and by then my shouts had recharged so I dashed over to the group and cut the other two down.

Then I turned around and FUS-RO-DAH'd another group of enemies off the wall.

Dragonborn, motherfucker :kamina:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sad lions posted:

I loved how well they tied the Outsider into the game mechanics regarding enemies. Anyone linked to him has advantages over the average enemies and act as quasi-bosses in several cases. It varies from person to person too.
Witches have completely different skills from the assassins, a bunch are immune to bending time, and the followers get a bleed of powers onto them too (Daud writes about his theories about how that works but even he's unsure).

The best bit is the boss fight against Daud, who also has Outsider magic. If you try to slow down time, he just goes 'nice try' and keeps on fighting.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Yet more about Shadow of Mordor; how for the first time in one of these games with the "free-running" type of movement, Talion will actually go where I want him to 99% of the time.

The game will also alt-tab quickly and painlessly :allears:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Just wanted to pop in to say I love the music in the Professor Layton games. Finally getting around to playing Unwound Future and it's great.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

triplexpac posted:

Just wanted to pop in to say I love the music in the Professor Layton games. Finally getting around to playing Unwound Future and it's great.

The orchestral version of the main theme is utterly gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmd58nFB6OI

Also this isn't so much a little thing, but whatever. With regards to the original Layton game trilogy, I loved the ramping-up of emotions at the end of the game.
Curious Village: more of a "d'aww" kind of situation.
Diabolical Box: "d'aww", tinged with tears.
Unwound Future: I cry like a little baby every single time at the ending. Too beautiful.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

graybook posted:

The orchestral version of the main theme is utterly gorgeous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmd58nFB6OI

Also this isn't so much a little thing, but whatever. With regards to the original Layton game trilogy, I loved the ramping-up of emotions at the end of the game.
Curious Village: more of a "d'aww" kind of situation.
Diabolical Box: "d'aww", tinged with tears.
Unwound Future: I cry like a little baby every single time at the ending. Too beautiful.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can get emotionally engaged with a story that has plot twists that read like a six year old wrote it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Shelf Adventure posted:

I honestly don't understand how anyone can get emotionally engaged with a story that has plot twists that read like a six year old wrote it.

Different people enjoy different things and react differently to different things. I myself haven't been scared of horror games since I was like 10 years old and I was scared of basically everything then anyway.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Chard posted:

Have a PS3? Get PAIN, it even has parry modes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Mackers posted:

Yet more about Shadow of Mordor; how for the first time in one of these games with the "free-running" type of movement, Talion will actually go where I want him to 99% of the time.

The game will also alt-tab quickly and painlessly :allears:

I have trouble doing precise little hops when I'm high up and trying to be stealthy, but yeah overall it's really good. I particularly appreciate how MANY surfaces he can climb. I remember AC: Brotherhood, and I just hated the cliff faces, most of which you couldn't really climb, that you'd have to go WAY out of your way to get around. It's also great how fast Talion climbs, without having to learn a new climbing move 2/3 through the game (ahem AC2).

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Captain Lavender posted:

It's also great how fast Talion climbs, without having to learn a new climbing move 2/3 through the game (ahem AC2).

He jumps what.. 12 feet in the air to grab the side of a flat clifface? Dude's a superhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Shadow of Mordor is basically a game that takes eveything the gaming industry learned about third-person open-world stealth-action-adventure games over the last console generation and uses polish and next-gen tech to combine it all into an amazing package that takes it to the next level. It's like what Resident Evil 4 did for the Resident Evil franchise only applied to an entire genre, it's fantastic.