Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jo3sh posted:

It would be hard to go wrong with a rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and a little cayenne or chipotle.

I went with a variation on this and it was terrific. The crust was lacking because of no sugar, but the meat tasted great.

Saltin posted:

Honestly the best way to do carnitas is not on the smoker, it's in a proper crock pot or slow cooker, in pork fat. Nothing wrong with smokiness on your pork taco (I like it), but real carnitas are not smoked.

Yeah this is just something I do with the leftover meat, the smoky flavor is great but it's not legit carnitas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Rand alPaul posted:

I went with a variation on this and it was terrific. The crust was lacking because of no sugar, but the meat tasted great.

That's basically a Santa Maria tri-tip rub; it's really flexible and works great on beef, chicken, low temps, high temps, whatever.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
So I'll be doing two pork shoulders tomorrow but due to my grocery not having the size I wanted I have to adjust my game plan. The biggest they had (without ordering a day in advance) was 5 lbs and then 4 lbs. I'd like food to be ready around 6. Should I start them at the same time and take one off early or start them at different times? And what time would you recommend starting? Forgive me for my ignorance, this will be my first time smoking shoulder and second time using the smoker. Oh and it is a 18.5 WSM. Thanks for any advice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those are on the small side so they should cook quickly. start early and wrap them in foil, then a towel and throw in a cooler till guests arrive.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As long as you have a thermometer you can always foil, wrap with towels, and put in a cool if they're done early.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
Anyone have a go to recipe for smoked chicken Wings? Amazing ribs says 325F for 40 minutes with lots of wood.

Do you rub them down first? Does this make the skin crispy?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ScaerCroe posted:

Anyone have a go to recipe for smoked chicken Wings? Amazing ribs says 325F for 40 minutes with lots of wood.

Do you rub them down first? Does this make the skin crispy?

My smoked wings are easy.

Thaw out, rub in salt and pepper, smoke at 225 for 2 hours (I used pecan wood pellets for wings), take out deep fry until skin is crispy, toss in franks red hot and butter. Serve

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Having a party today, doing 20lbs of butt in the smoker, a 20lb cuban style ham on this pit we made, and a pile of assorted chickens, pork chops, and sausages. Been up sense 6am and this is the first time I have sat down sense. Because I hate easy things I decided to cook it all over hardwood so my gf made me a burn barrel, it has also been going sense 6. I think I might end up using like half a cord of wood, which is most of my cooking wood collection. Wish me luck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Cuban style ham? Count me in on that.

Hope you baked some Cuban bread!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cool, a butchers shop opened nearby and they got brisket (the rarest or rare meats) from time to time. Sadly they cut it up into smaller portions, I got a 2kg (4lbs) piece with bone, all they had left when I got there, also got a piece of chuck the same size, I am thinking I'll do both in the weber, can I treat them like one big piece of meat when it comes to cook time then?

Also what do you think of using the bones afterwards for soup? Maybe some of the meat too.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Cool, a butchers shop opened nearby and they got brisket (the rarest or rare meats) from time to time. Sadly they cut it up into smaller portions, I got a 2kg (4lbs) piece with bone, all they had left when I got there, also got a piece of chuck the same size, I am thinking I'll do both in the weber, can I treat them like one big piece of meat when it comes to cook time then?

Also what do you think of using the bones afterwards for soup? Maybe some of the meat too.

You may want to call them or stop in ahead of time and ask if they can keep one whole for you when you want it. If they are a true butcher and cut the meat themselves they will have no problem with this. If they just sell already butchered meat then they may be able to request it from their source for you if you let them know enough in advance.

As for cooking time the flat will probably take slightly less time because it is thinner. Maybe just check each for temp separately and go from there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Out of curiosity where are you that brisket is hard to gets. I have 8 in my freezer right now and can go and buy then from the grocery store a dozen at a time.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

I've smoked fowl (chicken and turkey) and used the carcass for stock in the past. It turns out fine but making turkey stew or chicken soup with a smoke flavor wasn't really my cup of tea. It's worth giving a shot though to see if you like it. Also, since you're slow cooking the beef bones you won't have to boil them nearly as long as if they were raw. The stock should come about within an hour or two tops.

Koke
Sep 22, 2014

Quick Q, can I slow cook a chicken? If so, how long do I need to slow cook it for.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Koke posted:

Quick Q, can I slow cook a chicken? If so, how long do I need to slow cook it for.

I think I smoked my birds pretty low.. maybe 250 for 3 or 4 hours? After a few hours I would poke it with the thermometer and wing it accordingly.

With birds I was never looking for bark so if I was tired of keeping up with the coals I'd transfer it to the oven after a few hours of smoking.

It's best to give fowl a good brine as well to ensure juicyness. I always kept mine overnight in a bath.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

davey4283 posted:

and wing it accordingly.

Boo this man.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Issues.

Trying to discern why my brisket within 3.5 hours at 225º already went past 185º internal.
- Thickest part of the piece
- Thermometers seem accurate enough

Decided to fire up the oven at that point, set for 225º. Started to creep up even more heat-wise internally. Dropped the temp to 180º and watching it now. Is it an elevation thing perhaps? I am at 6k+ here and stranger things have happened.

Really want to slow cook, but if a large brisket is not going to do the 180º stall for a few hours, I am left scratching my head. Should I simply attempt to nail my smoker's temp at 180º or so?

Edit: No flareups. Drip pan retained water so the meat didn't dry pout prematurely. Was pretty happy with the consistent ~225º of the smoker. All brisket recipes are giving that target, and all recipes are speaking about the 180º stall. :shrug:

Edit2: Performed the same smoking as above with a chuck roast a month or so ago, and it came out amazing.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 7, 2014

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
How big is your brisket? Is your grill temp thermometer broken? If you smoker is really at 225, unless your brisket is like 3-5lbs I'm don't think a temp increase that quick is even possible. What smoker are you using?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

McSpankWich posted:

How big is your brisket? Is your grill temp thermometer broken? If you smoker is really at 225, unless your brisket is like 3-5lbs I'm don't think a temp increase that quick is even possible. What smoker are you using?

Broil King Keg, ~ 10lb brisket (flat, around 2" at thick point)
Fogo lump charcoal, Big hickory chunks (hardly burnt, much less cause heat issues), Indirect with water tray under brisket.

:iiam:

edit: just yanked the termo from the smoker and jammed it into hot water with an instant thermo and a mechanical. All 3 match.

So yeah, I had it at the correct temp. Meat just heats up ludicrously fast at this spot on earth. It didn't bother me when it happened with the pork shoulders and chuck roasts (huge pieces of meat), as you could set a nuke off next to them and they will turn out tender and juicy. More concerned about cooking a brisket long enough for the good stuff to break down.

Is it at all possible that the humidity from the water tray might cause a thermometer to read low?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 7, 2014

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Well, the brisket turned out tender after a few more hours in the oven at 180º. I think I may go back to chuck roasts though in the future. Hell of a lot more flavor in chuck.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Out of curiosity where are you that brisket is hard to gets. I have 8 in my freezer right now and can go and buy then from the grocery store a dozen at a time.

I'm in Finland and the only time I have been able to get brisket was when a guy I know who makes a living as a dairy farmer had to put down a young bull and I asked if I could have the brisket, both he and his parents wondered why I wanted the absolute worst junk rear end part of the cow, barely qualified as dog food to them. Got some nice steak parts in the edible parts of the cow after all!

That's basically what the non steak pieces are considered to be in the shitasticly limited finnish kitchen. Usually parts like chuck is turned into cubed soup meat and sold for the same kilo-price as steak. Or ground beef mix. Brisket is usually made into a sausage component.

The internet seems to be slowly changing it as people learn about things like american BBQ and brisket from it, and also re-learning some older cooking back when people ate all parts of teh animal.

This must be the 10th time I've shat on Finlands cooking culture in this thread. Feels good every time.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

I'm in Finland and the only time I have been able to get brisket was when a guy I know who makes a living as a dairy farmer had to put down a young bull and I asked if I could have the brisket, both he and his parents wondered why I wanted the absolute worst junk rear end part of the cow, barely qualified as dog food to them. Got some nice steak parts in the edible parts of the cow after all!

That's basically what the non steak pieces are considered to be in the shitasticly limited finnish kitchen. Usually parts like chuck is turned into cubed soup meat and sold for the same kilo-price as steak. Or ground beef mix. Brisket is usually made into a sausage component.

The internet seems to be slowly changing it as people learn about things like american BBQ and brisket from it, and also re-learning some older cooking back when people ate all parts of teh animal.

This must be the 10th time I've shat on Finlands cooking culture in this thread. Feels good every time.

So you are telling me I can make a fortune if I open a decent Texas BBQ place in Finland. I'm in.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I live in Northern California. I've never seen brisket cheaper than 7.99/lb. The highest I've ever seen it was $17.99/lb. I've never cooked brisket on my egg because none of my relatives will eat it and I'm not forking out $60-100 on a hunk of meat that I'd have to eat by myself.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

http://www.texasbbq.fi

Contact my buddy Jotu. He cooks on and sells Gator Pits.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ixo posted:

I live in Northern California. I've never seen brisket cheaper than 7.99/lb. The highest I've ever seen it was $17.99/lb. I've never cooked brisket on my egg because none of my relatives will eat it and I'm not forking out $60-100 on a hunk of meat that I'd have to eat by myself.

Oh my god I'm pissed it's 3 bucks a pound right now.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.

ixo posted:

Just bought a brisket flat like 15 minutes ago at whole foods in Oakland for about 5 a lb.

Also I'm cooking flat and st. louies this weekend.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh my god I'm pissed it's 3 bucks a pound right now.
It's like $2.75/lb here but you have to buy a whole brisket at that price. But who cares you were going to anyway, right?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

feelz good man posted:

It's like $2.75/lb here but you have to buy a whole brisket at that price. But who cares you were going to anyway, right?

Yeah I get them for 2.88 a pound at our local grocery. Certified black angus usda prime. It's fantastic. But now I cut off the flat and either make pastrami or grind it up for our burgers, the point I smoke for 12-14 hours and make burnt ends for our brisket dishes. Sysco wants 4 bucks a pound for select so gently caress them.

I'm backwards in liking the point for BBQ way more than the flat. The flat is a bitch to cook, the point is easy.

I'm still mad because 2 ago years that poo poo was a dollar.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

PhotoKirk posted:

http://www.texasbbq.fi

Contact my buddy Jotu. He cooks on and sells Gator Pits.

I've gotten that contact before in this very thread, but he's some dude in southern finland and I'm not interested in shipping meat or stuff like that across the country. I want to be able to buy it locally at decent prices. I was able to score brisket from a local organic farmer, but it was like 80 euros for a brisket so haha never gonna happen. I don't care about organic or high land cattle or whatever either, just your average cow as cheap as possible please. I still paid 40 euros for the brisket and chuck (8-9 euros a kg) I got there and that hurt, but I can freeze it and save it for a special occasion.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

ixo posted:

Pfft holy poo poo I got mad that it was $2.98/lbs when I bought a whole packer this weekend.

But it takes like 2 days to eat a whole brisket yourself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seriously, gently caress arby's for that stupid loving brisket sandwich that completely hosed up brisket prices across the country:

http://www.tmbbq.com/brisketisback/

Can't rehost the image to imgur uploads are blocked at work

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
They won't offer the item forever, especially as brisket prices climb due to their own demand - products like this are limited of time offerings.
It is a shame, but really - it's temporary. The price of Brisket will continue to climb, but not because of Arbys primarily.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Woof! Woof! posted:

They won't offer the item forever, especially as brisket prices climb due to their own demand - products like this are limited of time offerings.

It's like McRib. There's no set schedule when McDonald's sells McRibs. When the price of pork falls below a certain point, McRib's back, and then it's not.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
British goons, brisket talk:- Find a good butcher. It took me a few failed attempts to find the correct (textbook) piece of brisket which wasn't poo poo but I finally found it after much searching here in Manchester.

Here's the kicker...

£/KG - 10.89

(17.57 US Dollar per kilo)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is that for really high quality meat? cause that's only 9 something dollars a pound which is in the price range of premium brisket here in the US.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The cost is purely regional. If you're paying that much for brisket in the US you are being ripped off. Brisket is cheap, tough meat cooked to be delicious. No such thing as premium to justify that price point in my experience.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As I mentioned in another thread, my longtime ranch butcher is retiring. That means that I'm going to have to process ALL of my animals from now on instead of just my little ones. It also means that I'll have to do my own smoking and curing since I can't pay my guy to do it. What I need from you guys is suggestions on good, cost effective setups for the smoking (all at one time) of two whole hams, one whole hog belly, hocks, sand some sausages. Ideas?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As I mentioned in another thread, my longtime ranch butcher is retiring. That means that I'm going to have to process ALL of my animals from now on instead of just my little ones. It also means that I'll have to do my own smoking and curing since I can't pay my guy to do it. What I need from you guys is suggestions on good, cost effective setups for the smoking (all at one time) of two whole hams, one whole hog belly, hocks, sand some sausages. Ideas?

Cold smoke house

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/01/building-cold-smoker-smokehouse.html

This is the one I'm basing the one in my backyard on.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So arby's is the reason brisket is expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Bob A Feet posted:

So arby's is the reason brisket is expensive?
Arby's is the reason why we can't have a lot of nice things