Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
While I haven't tried it and suspect it is probably a bad idea to do so, I do notice that browser.js comes with a general warning that if you tamper with it, Opera won't execute it any longer. I doubt it would help, but I suppose people with probable JS issues could try tampering with it, copying it's code to userJS, and just commenting out the site-specific stuff that's bothering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Opera 12 started throwing errors about old OCSP certificates on certain https pages and a restart didn't help.

Some googling led me to this setting: opera:config#SecurityPrefs|OCSPValidateCertificates

I'm not sure what the security implications of this are, but disabling that setting helped instantly; and the info i found indicated it's likely to be a temporary issue and reenabling in a few days should be fine.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm getting very annoyed at the lack of usable keyboard navigation. There are addons for it for Firefox (what the poo poo, this should be standard functionality), but they expect you to tab through all links to get the one you want. What the poo poo, why isn't there spatial navigation, old Opera has had that for ages?

God I hate the current browser situation, they all suck rear end.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

Opera 12 started throwing errors about old OCSP certificates on certain https pages and a restart didn't help.

Some googling led me to this setting: opera:config#SecurityPrefs|OCSPValidateCertificates

I'm not sure what the security implications of this are, but disabling that setting helped instantly; and the info i found indicated it's likely to be a temporary issue and reenabling in a few days should be fine.

Disabling that made the same sites slow as hell for some reason. (Intuitively from the name I would have assumed the opposite). I also disabled "Certificate revocation lists for ssl" and that seemed to speed things back up. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Opera 12 is one of the few browsers that try hard to check if every SSL certificate is revoked before it trusts them, IIRC. The revocation lists are hosted by the issuers, who are notoriously incompetent at it. Thus, most browsers are a bit more lax about those checks.

At least that's how I've understood it.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Opera 12 is one of the few browsers that try hard to check if every SSL certificate is revoked before it trusts them, IIRC. The revocation lists are hosted by the issuers, who are notoriously incompetent at it. Thus, most browsers are a bit more lax about those checks.

At least that's how I've understood it.

Yep, Opera used to be the hardass of browsers in all things, including SSL.

Good security practices and procedures says to validate all certificates before you interact with a given HTTPS site. If the certificates are not specifically confirmed as valid, you just say "nope this site is insecure" and/or refuse to interact with it for safety's sake.

Most browsers are more concerned with continuity-of-usage rather than security, so rather than block a site that's of dubious security, they'll show a minor warning but otherwise not alert the user there's a potential security problem. Because in the rare off circumstance that a CA's CRL server is down for maintenance, they don't want to have a website be blocked for security concerns!

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

As for OCSP, I incidentally just fought with it for someone. Basically, it means the website itself does the revocation check of its own certificate, then hands you the results. You can trust those results since they're signed by the certificate authority, and you've already got their public keys in the browser to check. The web server will cache the results a bit (10-20 minute, I think?), so you reduce the CRL traffic massively, and it's also fairly cheap on the website side. (It boils down to one revocation list check every now and then, and then just serving those results unchanged to the clients.)

edit: Nevermind, that's OCSP stapling. Nice thing to have, but "OCSP" unqualified is just the protocol for querying the revocation list.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 1, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
After the third crash to desktop today I am officially over Opera 12. Was hanging on out of habit but it was just masochistic to keep using a browser that actively seems to hate being used. Migrated tabs and bookmarks to Firefox, mail and contacts to Thunderbird, and I bid goodbye to the red O that has dominated my browsing for the past decade.

Also holy poo poo firefox is so much faster at basically everything.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

RandomCheese posted:

My experience is that websites are a lot faster, but Firefox's performance deteriorates really badly when you have tens of tabs open. Also (again, in my experience) if you keep opening and closing a lot of tabs (like, open a bunch of links in new tabs on twitter, read what's actually interesting, close all opened tabs), a crash is inevitable.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

RandomCheese posted:

After the third crash to desktop today I am officially over Opera 12. Was hanging on out of habit but it was just masochistic to keep using a browser that actively seems to hate being used. Migrated tabs and bookmarks to Firefox, mail and contacts to Thunderbird, and I bid goodbye to the red O that has dominated my browsing for the past decade.

I was in that situation for a while and eventually I just did an uninstall / reinstall of 12. Hasn't crashed to desktop since.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

I suspect you had some tab open in the background that makes egregious use of Javascript. A very easy fix for that is usually to open the page opera:cpu, check which one's constantly hammering the CPU, and disabling JS for that one, or closing it.

Also, as the others have mentioned, Firefox is fast for a few tabs open at a time, on sites that have a lot of JS; but you'll never run it for two weeks apiece with a hundred tabs open.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's been pretty consistent behaviour over multiple machines and OS installs, I switched to chrome at work a while back because of the crashes and I just got sick of it happening at home. Anything would set it off, I could have 2 tabs or 2 dozen tabs open and be scrolling down a page when suddenly the desktop would appear and the sad little Opera Closed Unexpectedly error message pops up. I use macs if that makes any difference to the stability.

Even loading a single tab Opera 12 is nowhere near as snappy at loading webpages, and things like embedded youtube clips become active a lot quicker in FF than they did before. CPU usage was generally pretty low but there were occassions when it would rocket up to 99%, I had to buy no ads on these forums a year or two back because some of the ads that loaded brought Opera to its knees. I generally run a dozen or so tabs so it will be interesting to see how firefox handles things, but in reality it can't be worse than how Opera was treating me. At least I get the modern version of google results and can actually use adblock now. I do like Opera but the main thing keeping me in it was mouse gestures and I haven't used them at all since upgrading to a trackball. I am missing the address bar g for google e for ebay etc style searches so hopefully I can find a way to add that to firefox, but there's no turning back at this point.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

RandomCheese posted:

I am missing the address bar g for google e for ebay etc style searches so hopefully I can find a way to add that to firefox, but there's no turning back at this point.

It's just like Opera; no plugin required. Right click a search field and hit "add a keyword for this search". These are then editable in the bookmark manager (the keyword field is hidden behind a "more options" dropdown).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

It's been pretty consistent behaviour over multiple machines and OS installs
That is very weird. Were you using the 64 bit version of Opera 12? And on what Windows?

I'm on Windows 7 with 64 bit opera, and the ONLY thing that can crash my opera is if i try to load facebook.com in addition to my current 140 tabs.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lakitu7 posted:

It's just like Opera; no plugin required. Right click a search field and hit "add a keyword for this search". These are then editable in the bookmark manager (the keyword field is hidden behind a "more options" dropdown).

Perfect, thanks!

Mithaldu posted:

That is very weird. Were you using the 64 bit version of Opera 12? And on what Windows?

I'm on Windows 7 with 64 bit opera, and the ONLY thing that can crash my opera is if i try to load facebook.com in addition to my current 140 tabs.

I have the issues in OS X (10.7, 10.8 and 10.9, latest version of Opera 12), not Windows so this may be the defining factor between our experiences. Also 140 tabs goddamn, I thought a couple of dozen was getting a bit fancy.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mithaldu posted:

140 tabs.

Why?!?! :gonk:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

RandomCheese posted:

I have the issues in OS X
That explains things. Opera 12 has always been a second-class citizen on *nixes. All of the advantages it has over other browsers are only manifest on Windows. Why not? I have a browser that sits at 2.8gb with that usage, can run for weeks at a time without abusing my system's ram, or crashing, or slowing down. Granted, my tab bar consists only of favicons with no borders, and black separator lines inbetween, but even that is universes better than the way ANY other browser in existence handles high tab counts, and the tab icons even shrink dynamically as space becomes tight, while remaining recognizable. Not even switching between tabs has any sort of delay, in fact holding right-click and scrolling i can switch between tabs faster than firefox can switch between tabs when i have only two open. I have no practical reason to close a tab before having read it.

Only with other browsers are there reasons to keep the tab count down, and that is only because those browsers have insufficiently well-designed UI, are slower than Opera or are massively abusive towards system resources.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

I imagine it's like people who fill their cars--save the driver's seat--with a sea of trash. It's not worth your time or effort to question them. ("Why not? I have 80 cubic feet of space that sit otherwise unused, and I can run for years at a time without wasting seconds every day. I have no practical reason to empty it before it begins obstructing windows*.")

[*no pun intended]

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

I can't imagine *not* having that many tabs quickly available. With Tab Stacking it gets even easier to manage as necessary. And at 140 I imagine the tab bar is kind of pointless and you can just use the Windows sidebar to find what you're looking for.

For SA alone right now I have a tab open constantly for pretty much everything I'm currently following day-to-day. This keeps me from needing to go hunt them down if they're pages back, or deal with maintaining my Bookmarked Theads list when I want to stop following something. I have my threads open and when I want to see updates I just open the tab and f5. When I'm done reading a thread I just close the tab and it is out of my way. All of this is handled in one single Tab Stack so it takes up a single tab width and is easy to see "that's my SA stack"

I keep a tab open constantly for my RSS aggregator and stack any "read it later" articles that come up in there with it.

I keep a stack open for IT stuff: reference pages, bugtracker, etc.

And then I tend to just have short-lived tabs for random links from the forums and other stuff that doesn't really easily categorize up above.

It's not really hoarding, so much as the fact that if you're coming from other browsers you've learned how to get around with only a few tabs at a time, but Opera makes it possible to use far, far more tabs and in doing so it just streamlines browsing so much once you make the mental leap to using that many tabs.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

WoG posted:

I imagine it's like people who fill their cars--save the driver's seat--with a sea of trash. It's not worth your time or effort to question them.
Yeah, except in this case i'm filling up a car that was built with only one seat and was built to be filled with things. But hey, forge ahead with "funny" thought-terminating cliches. It's how you get internet points.

Cuntpunch posted:

And at 140 I imagine the tab bar is kind of pointless and you can just use the Windows sidebar to find what you're looking for.
Might be the size of my screen, but it's still perfectly usable. Favicons provide plenty guidance as to where i left what. The windows panel would be too small for traversing that.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, it maintains a lot of usability at high tab counts. I always have lots of tangents leading to a dozen threads that I sideline for a bit and do something else. I just wish the active tab could be regular width for legibility sake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mithaldu posted:

That explains things. Opera 12 has always been a second-class citizen on *nixes. All of the advantages it has over other browsers are only manifest on Windows.
So what other browser does everything Opera 12 does?

Cuntpunch posted:

For SA alone right now I have a tab open constantly for pretty much everything I'm currently following day-to-day. This keeps me from needing to go hunt them down if they're pages back, or deal with maintaining my Bookmarked Theads list when I want to stop following something. I have my threads open and when I want to see updates I just open the tab and f5.
Haha, yeah, that sounds way easier than clicking a little star to have the forums software automatically keep track of threads you read and tell you when there are new posts.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

So what other browser does everything Opera 12 does?
I don't understand your question. Did you misread what you quoted and asked an honest question? Are you trying to be funny? I can't tell. Rephrase please?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

I don't understand your question. Did you misread what you quoted and asked an honest question? Are you trying to be funny? I can't tell. Rephrase please?
If I understood your post right, you're saying that Opera 12 has no advantages over other browsers unless you use Windows. I don't use Windows and I do use Opera 12, because I haven't found another browser as good. So my question is, what other browsers have the features that Opera 12 has?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

If I understood your post right, you're saying that Opera 12 has no advantages over other browsers unless you use Windows. I don't use Windows and I do use Opera 12, because I haven't found another browser as good. So my question is, what other browsers have the features that Opera 12 has?
I expressed that too sweepingly. All the usability and UI and out-of-the-box-ness is unique to opera on every OS. But Opera also has advantages in the way its programmed to use system resources, cpu, ram, and how absolutely rock-solid it is. However, to my knowledge the CPU and stability advantages are only present on windows, and i suspect some of the ram advantages too.

On Windows, Opera is still the fastest and most reliable browser when it comes to sanely written websites, and ESPECIALLY so when you have a ton of them open.

On other OSes it is merely the one that has the best UI.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Haha, yeah, that sounds way easier than clicking a little star to have the forums software automatically keep track of threads you read and tell you when there are new posts.

Let's take Atma's most recent thread: IS.EXE as an example.

I wanted to follow Atma's posts in it and not pay attention to the in between pages of GOKU suggestions. So I open the thread in a new tab and filter it to Atma posts.

Now, every day or so I'd just f5 it really quick to see if there are new posts via quick glance for forums read-post highlighting. As soon as Atma finished the thread I closed the tab because again, I didn't feel like reading 20 pages of LOL GOOD THREAD posts.

Using the forums bookmarked threads functionality:

Every time I post in a thread I need to make sure whether or not I want to bookmark it.
Now that it's bookmarked to see if there are new posts I either have to dig it out of the subforum thread list, where it might be pages back, or find it in the middle of the Bookmarked Threads list, where it still might be pages back.
When I'm done with the thread, I've now got to go in and unbookmark it, especially if it's still ongoing, to prevent it cluttering a list and causing the previous problem of finding the thread I'm interested in.

I'm trading off the hassle of managing bookmarks for the hassle of occasionally pressing f5 and *not* having new posts to read. The latter takes an aggregate total of a minute a week, the former would take multiple times that.

What I really am going to miss about Opera 12, unless they re-implement it(they won't) is that I've gotten used to its mail client. There's something really, fundamentally, nice about being able to click a link in an email message and have it *open in a background tab*. When they forked Opera Mail to its own standalone thing I gave it a shot, but the "mail goes to background and browser pops to foreground" behavior was just jarring after years of using an integrated mail client. Chrome wants you using Gmail which I don't want to do, and Firefox as a browser just irritates me so it's a bind.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah having mail separate from my browser is taking some adjustment to get used to, I did like the whole ALL INTERNET poo poo GOES IN HERE workflow of Opera 12. I'd also leave a bunch of tabs open for things like the Atma threads, I do like the jump to recent post functionality of the forums but with threads like the stereoscopic gaming one in Games I usually have to go 4 pages deep to find it because it only gets a handful of posts per day. Also I only just figured out bookmarking threads after being here for nearly a decade.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I use GMail anyway, but I really like having RSS feeds integrated, for the same reason. I can skim through the list quickly opening ones I want to read in the background then go through them once they've all loaded.

Cedra
Jul 23, 2007
Welp, with Youtube comments have broken CSS and Imgur not loading images without taking years, I think it's time to leave 12 :( Is there a bookmark extension out there that matches Opera 12's 'paging' layout? It astounds me that Firefox and Chrome are still using the scrolling list to this day, makes for navigating my colossal bookmark list a pain in the rear end.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I havent been able to use Opera for a while because the scroll wheel click thing doesn't stick around. It disappears after a second, not even holding it in works.

Anyone had this issue and fixed it? It persisted through a reinstall and trashing of the appdata opera settings folder folder and a computer reformat so it might just be some bad interaction with Opera 12.17 and Windows 8.1.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I remember that during a particular set of 12 nightlies, and then randomly on a few profiles after it was fixed in a later version, but profile-wipe always fixed it. If that already didn't work, I have no idea. :(

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Wheany posted:

Opera 12 was getting a bit laggy, so I looked at its information in process explorer. It was using 7.2 GB of ram. Then again, I had started it on 12th August. I use Firefox as my other constantly running browser and it has crashed innumerably many times in the same span.

Daaang! Mine usually starts doing weird poo poo around 4 GB (takes about a month to hit, usually) and I assumed it was because the binary was compiled with a 4 GB limit.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Daaang! Mine usually starts doing weird poo poo around 4 GB (takes about a month to hit, usually) and I assumed it was because the binary was compiled with a 4 GB limit.
You want to download the 64 bit version from here: http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.17

The 32 bit version does indeed have limits on the ram space it can address and gets strange after a while.

Xachariah posted:

I havent been able to use Opera for a while because the scroll wheel click thing doesn't stick around. It disappears after a second, not even holding it in works.
I don't know how to fix that, but would recommend just switching it to work without showing the menu at all and instantly switching between tabs. Opera 12 can switch tabs so fast it's really pleasant to just scroll through them.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

Let's take Atma's most recent thread: IS.EXE as an example.

I wanted to follow Atma's posts in it and not pay attention to the in between pages of GOKU suggestions. So I open the thread in a new tab and filter it to Atma posts.

Now, every day or so I'd just f5 it really quick to see if there are new posts via quick glance for forums read-post highlighting. As soon as Atma finished the thread I closed the tab because again, I didn't feel like reading 20 pages of LOL GOOD THREAD posts.

Using the forums bookmarked threads functionality:

Every time I post in a thread I need to make sure whether or not I want to bookmark it.
Now that it's bookmarked to see if there are new posts I either have to dig it out of the subforum thread list, where it might be pages back, or find it in the middle of the Bookmarked Threads list, where it still might be pages back.
When I'm done with the thread, I've now got to go in and unbookmark it, especially if it's still ongoing, to prevent it cluttering a list and causing the previous problem of finding the thread I'm interested in.

I'm trading off the hassle of managing bookmarks for the hassle of occasionally pressing f5 and *not* having new posts to read. The latter takes an aggregate total of a minute a week, the former would take multiple times that.

I thought I was the only one! I've been browsing SA like that for years, even before I :10bux:'d. I have a half-dozen megathreads always open and it's easy to just click the tab and hit F5. Other tabs for general ebay searches, poo poo I put aside to read later...eventually it got so bad with some of those pages Opera would crash regularly and it would have so much trouble loading it'd screw up the tabbing (couldn't click on tabs to open them, had to ctrl-tab to 'activate' them) that I offloaded them to a separate session and 'started fresh' with maybe a dozen tabs. Back up to 86 now.
I probably couldn't do it without the Ghostery plugin, though. It strips out so much horrible poo poo that makes Opera crawl.

The main reason I still use Opera, apart from being able to load dozens of tabs and have it run for weeks without real issue, is that I can enable MDI mode. I love MDI.
Oh, and the spatial navigation. I cannot believe no one else has stolen that. I can understand not bothering with mouse gestures (I mostly only use close and back/forwards), but navigating with just tab is awful when you might have 20 links in the page header.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pyroclastic posted:

The main reason I still use Opera, apart from being able to load dozens of tabs and have it run for weeks without real issue, is that I can enable MDI mode. I love MDI.

Look, dude, I know this is the Opera 12 thread and all, but this is over the line. I'm going to have to ask you to stop.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Mithaldu posted:

I don't know how to fix that, but would recommend just switching it to work without showing the menu at all and instantly switching between tabs. Opera 12 can switch tabs so fast it's really pleasant to just scroll through them.

I mean the page scrolling without using mouse wheel. Like I used to be able to click wheel, move mouse down, and slow auto scroll through page. But it doesn't stick these days. Odd but maybe its some mouse software messing with it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Xachariah posted:

I mean the page scrolling without using mouse wheel. Like I used to be able to click wheel, move mouse down, and slow auto scroll through page. But it doesn't stick these days. Odd but maybe its some mouse software messing with it.

The only negative experience i've had with that was when my 32 bit version started running out of memory, in that the middle-mouse-pan wouldn't activate at all. If it's getting deactivated while in action, check your tabs for active plugins, flash, etc. or as you said, look at the task manager and see what you can kill to find out whether something is interfering.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

Look, dude, I know this is the Opera 12 thread and all, but this is over the line. I'm going to have to ask you to stop.

You can pry MDI out of my cold dead hands.

Or when most of the web becomes unusable in Opera 12.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

You want to download the 64 bit version from here: http://www.opera.com/download/guide/?ver=12.17

The 32 bit version does indeed have limits on the ram space it can address and gets strange after a while.

Wow, thanks! I did not realize there even was a 64 bit version. I've been dreading having to switch to Firefox because Opera 12 (which I've been using for years) seems complete poo poo at handling pages with lots of images anymore but the 64 bit version seems to handle everything a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Basticle posted:

Wow, thanks! I did not realize there even was a 64 bit version. I've been dreading having to switch to Firefox because Opera 12 (which I've been using for years) seems complete poo poo at handling pages with lots of images anymore but the 64 bit version seems to handle everything a lot better.
I know the bugs you're talking about and can tell you that the 64 bit version exhibits none of those, no matter how much abuse you throw at it.