Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yep, this sure sounds like some cold Division Bell leftovers, alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally took the time to listen to the audio clips.

They all sound so cheesy that they almost go into vaporwave territory. I doubt that was their intent though.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
They are 70 years old. Do you guys expect them to change their sound or something? Maybe do a collab with Pharrell or Skrillex? I'm not exactly psyched but I'm not expecting them to produce their best work when they live a life of luxury and have really nothing left to say. Now if Roger was in it that'd be different.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CortezFantastic posted:

They are 70 years old. Do you guys expect them to change their sound or something? Maybe do a collab with Pharrell or Skrillex? I'm not exactly psyched but I'm not expecting them to produce their best work when they live a life of luxury and have really nothing left to say. Now if Roger was in it that'd be different.

What interesting music has roger waters made in the past 30 years?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

BigFactory posted:

At least he'd have something to say was my point on him.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CortezFantastic posted:

At least he'd have something to say was my point on him.

What makes you think that? He's way more in nostalgia act mode than Gilmour. I don't think any of them have anything really interesting to say any more.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BigFactory posted:

Amused to Death was pretty good.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Amused to Death was pretty good.

I rest my case. What was that, 1986?

Edit: so it was 1992. He hasn't made anything really at all in over 20 years, and Amused to Death is the furthest thing in my mind from an "interesting" album. It's competent. Pushes zero boundaries. Never something I want to listen to. For a dinosaur rock artist making an album in his 4th decade of being a musician, it's "pretty good".

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 9, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

CortezFantastic posted:

It's mainly the production that makes it sound so stale. If you take grandiose music like this and compress the hell out of it's always going to sound like a lifeless TV-movie soundtrack

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Answers Me posted:

It's mainly the production that makes it sound so stale. If you take grandiose music like this and compress the hell out of it's always going to sound like a lifeless TV-movie soundtrack

A lot of The Division Bell sounds like a TV movie soundtrack. Especially "Poles Apart." That song is terrible.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

egon_beeblebrox posted:

A lot of The Division Bell sounds like a TV movie soundtrack. Especially "Poles Apart." That song is terrible.

:cry: another track from that album I love :cry: (except the circus music middle part that part sucks)

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

CortezFantastic posted:

We expect this to be a bad album. "What did you expect?!" has no place in any discussion of merit.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
David nailed the solo on "on an island" and that was only a few years ago. his lead work could save this

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is going to solve the problem of 'what is the worst Pink Floyd album?'. So at least we can take that from this.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

echinopsis posted:

David nailed the solo on "on an island" and that was only a few years ago. his lead work could save this

David Gilmour could solo over a packet of Wotsits and elevate it to, at least, a Marks and Spencer sausage roll.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

facebook jihad posted:

This is going to solve the problem of 'what is the worst Pink Floyd album?'. So at least we can take that from this.

It'll still be momentary lapse of reason

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

BigFactory posted:

It'll still be momentary lapse of reason

MLoR gets a huge pass from me due to "Learning To Fly", "On The Turning Away" (which I consider to be one of PF's top five songs), and "Sorrow". Don't know about worst, but to me, "Obscured By Clouds" is the most forgettable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Eh! Frank posted:

MLoR gets a huge pass from me due to "Learning To Fly", "On The Turning Away" (which I consider to be one of PF's top five songs), and "Sorrow". Don't know about worst, but to me, "Obscured By Clouds" is the most forgettable.

All those songs sound like out takes from a White Lion recording session that somebody overproduced.

And obscured by clouds is rad.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
some of their earliest ARE the most forgettable. I listen to them mostly in order to make myself feel like a real PF fan, they may have been breakthrough in they day but don't stand up now like meddle onwards

Popcorn posted:

David Gilmour could solo over a packet of Wotsits and elevate it to, at least, a Marks and Spencer sausage roll.

thanks for the UK references that I don't understand at all

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Eh! Frank posted:

Thank you. Another person who thinks Obscured By Clouds is Not That Good

Like, Wot's uh...the deal is a great song, but everything else sucks. The same song even shows up twice for crying out loud

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

facebook jihad posted:

As long as "La Carrera Panamerica" has existed in some form we've had an answer. MLoR owns, Obscured by Clouds owns.

BigFactory posted:

I rest my case. What was that, 1986?

Edit: so it was 1992. He hasn't made anything really at all in over 20 years, and Amused to Death is the furthest thing in my mind from an "interesting" album. It's competent. Pushes zero boundaries. Never something I want to listen to. For a dinosaur rock artist making an album in his 4th decade of being a musician, it's "pretty good".

Amused to Death owns, the KAOS tour owned even if the album was half-baked. The less said about his lyrics 2000-2014 the better though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Amused to Death owns, the KAOS tour owned even if the album was half-baked. The less said about his lyrics 2000-2014 the better though.

A Love Supreme owns. White Light/White Heat owns. Heck, even Meddle kinda owns. Amused to Death is a dad rock album that doesn't suck as bad as it probably could have. If it's a cd you keep coming back to listen to, I think it's time to get new music.

And momentary lapse of reason is butt rock.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

wow way to have bad opinions about certain things!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As long as "La Carrera Panamerica" has existed in some form we've had an answer. MLoR owns, Obscured by Clouds owns.

I agree with everything in this post. Momentary Lapse is pretty nice, even if it doesn't sound like Pink Floyd. KAOS is an interesting counterpoint to it, but kind of dumb.

Somewhat Nachos
Oct 18, 2004

#wifematerial
Here's this

New Pink Floyd Song: "Louder Than Words"

Somewhat Nachos fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 11, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What a shame this is probably the last Pink Floyd song ever.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I listened to the single today. The first part... wow I am gutted. The solo though? That completely owned and it sounded like Floyd.

He's still go it

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
This song sucks I'm sorry guys

The dad rockiest song of all time.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I think it sounds good but I am literally a dad.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Gilmour is a goon and had been seeing the 'is Pink Floyd dad rock?' threads in GBS; he wanted to affirm that yes, they are in fact dad rock.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BigFactory posted:

Amused to Death is only 22 years old.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

precision posted:

Amused to Death is only 22 years old.

We went over that, yes. It does a very good job of sounding 30 years old.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand how anyone can hate Childhood's End or even most of Obscurred by Clouds when poo poo like The Division Bell exists.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
division bell is pretty listenable and way better than lapse of reason or even final cut for that matter. i like the cool guitar noises

sorry. sorry for my opinion

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

New song's boring. David's vocals are weirdly sinister as well. Louuuder than weeeerds.

echinopsis posted:

thanks for the UK references that I don't understand at all

Oh, sorry, "mate"! I guess that was "bloody" annoying for you to read on the internet! I must have been completely "bladdered" when I wrote it! You'd be right to give me a good "bollocking" for it!

Jesus Christ, ignore it or use Google, you tosser. :britain:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cyra posted:

division bell is pretty listenable and way better than lapse of reason or even final cut for that matter. i like the cool guitar noises

sorry. sorry for my opinion

Division bell is a lot better than momentary lapse. It's still *yawn* soooo boring.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Popcorn posted:

New song's boring. David's vocals are weirdly sinister as well. Louuuder than weeeerds.

Oh, sorry, "mate"! I guess that was "bloody" annoying for you to read on the internet! I must have been completely "bladdered" when I wrote it! You'd be right to give me a good "bollocking" for it!

Jesus Christ, ignore it or use Google, you tosser. :britain:

:ughh:

BigFactory posted:

Division bell is a lot better than momentary lapse. It's still *yawn* soooo boring.

I too enjoy the musical equivalent of strobe lights

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

:ughh:

I too enjoy the musical equivalent of strobe lights

Are you the turtle from that old Comcast commercial?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the US references that I don't understand at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

echinopsis posted:

thanks for the US references that I don't understand at all

The us and the uk need some serious pop culture cross pollination based on this thread.

• Locked thread