Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The guy sleeping off a night of drinking in the back seat of his car is literally behind the wheel, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

The guy sleeping off a night of drinking in the back seat of his car is literally behind the wheel, I guess

If you are inside of the car, and have the keys in your possession, then you are in control of the vehicle, and it's DUI even if you are doing the right thing and sleeping it off instead of driving (lovely, but that's the way the law is written, at least here in AZ).

If you are outside of the wrecked car, then I guess it's a judgement call? If someone was hurt or a second party was involved then I imagine it would change the scenario a bit.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Same here in Idaho. I slept it off on a new years eve in the passenger seat, with the keys in the backseat. Cop rolled up and questioned me for 30 minutes trying to get me to say I either drove, or at least had the keys in the ignition to run the heater. They just need you to 'intend' to drive

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
Fortunately this one realized her mistake before being impaled by some large American metal, but she telegraphed it early enough for pre-emptive avoidance on our part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Md5uWs_QI

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had something almost identical to that happen to me on the way home this evening, stood on the brakes to avoid 'em.

Oblivious rear end in a top hat just waved at me to get moving again like I was the one doing something wrong.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

revmoo posted:

Police departments are almost totally revenue-driven at this point.

Armored personnel carriers and riot gear aren't cheap you know.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

If you are inside of the car, and have the keys in your possession, then you are in control of the vehicle, and it's DUI even if you are doing the right thing and sleeping it off instead of driving (lovely, but that's the way the law is written, at least here in AZ).

If you are outside of the wrecked car, then I guess it's a judgement call? If someone was hurt or a second party was involved then I imagine it would change the scenario a bit.

It isn't in California. Which is a good thing for drunk passengers who's drunk drivers flee without the keys.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I was on the jury for a case here in Colorado, where a guy got the cops called on him for sleeping in his car. He had been there for hours, and there was a trail of oil back to the dip in the road where he clearly smacked his oil pan and disabled his car. He was in the drivers seat, keys were in the console, but there was no alcohol on his breath or evidence like bottles, nothing.

Cops woke him up and made him walk the line. He turned the opposite way the officer said to turn, then they made him stand on one leg for over two minutes until he bobbled. They called that DUI.

We found him not guilty.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LloydDobler posted:

I was on the jury for a case here in Colorado, where a guy got the cops called on him for sleeping in his car. He had been there for hours, and there was a trail of oil back to the dip in the road where he clearly smacked his oil pan and disabled his car. He was in the drivers seat, keys were in the console, but there was no alcohol on his breath or evidence like bottles, nothing.

Cops woke him up and made him walk the line. He turned the opposite way the officer said to turn, then they made him stand on one leg for over two minutes until he bobbled. They called that DUI.

We found him not guilty.

I can't believe they tried that poo poo without a BAC. Good job.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Armored personnel carriers and riot gear aren't cheap you know.

Actually aren't they free, from the DoD?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Actually aren't they free, from the DoD?

Significantly discounted.. they gotta pay for Iraq somehow.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

The Locator posted:

You need to put the keys in the ignition in TX, which kinda blows dicks as it's hot most of the year and that means you're sleeping it off without A/C or being able to roll down your windows, for most vehicles.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Significantly discounted.. they gotta pay for Iraq justify buying more new poo poo from the military industrial complex without an active two-theater war somehow.

Fixed. They're not going to pay for Iraq by fireselling millions/billions of surplus equipment to state and local law enforcement.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 8, 2014

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

NoWake posted:

The thing that pissed me off most about the speedbumps around my gf's building wasn't that they were outrageously severe, it was that everybody, everybodywent WOT on the other side of them instead of gliding relatively silently though the lot. The bumps were spaced about every 50yds and there were 3 of them, it was a constant *vrooom* *thump thump* *vrooom* *thump thump* morning noon and night. You started to recognise the neighbors and their schedule, their car's maintenance schedule, and hell even their current attitude by their exhaust note.

A guy at the end of our road had an WRX STI with an aftermarket exhaust (because louder = better) and the speed bump was just down from our house. He'd drive over it at 3mph, then floor it right outside our house every time he drove past.. At the time we lived there we had a new baby in a room facing the road. My wife curses every time she sees something with blue paint, hood scoop and gold alloys.

cats
May 11, 2009
Nearly rear-ended someone this weekend cause they were being a good samaritan. Driving on a state highway (I think that's the right term - not an interstate but a road outside of the city, some lights but not often), doing my thing in the left lane. Car in front of me (Versa or Yaris, some small hatchback thing) starts to brake, I brake too - this is where I probably should've changed lanes - and then I see that holy poo poo, he's REALLY braking. This moron came to a full stop from like ~50mph to let some idiot who was waiting on the median cross the road. There was a crosswalk marked on the pavement but no light, no stop sign, no "watch for pedestrians," nothing. Just a random crosswalk on a busy road. And of course the dude nearly got rekt by the driver in the next lane cause he had no idea someone was in the road.

Edit: another fun thing I saw here in MA: I pull up to a red light at the same time as the car next to me. The driver of the other car slows down, stops, waits for several seconds and then just drives off. On a red light. I don't even know what to call that, it's in a whole 'nother league than the usual red light running hijinks in Boston.

cats fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 8, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been getting a lot of good Samaritans stopping for me when I'm on my bike. The path crosses a few roads and has stop signs. The roads have warnings that there is a crossing, but no stop or yield signs. I'll see a car coming and stop. They stop and wave me on, then get pissed that I don't just roll out into traffic right away. Just follow the rules of the road and stop creating unpredictable situations.

Same thing would happen when I rode motorcycle at four way stops: there's a car at the stop as I roll up that will invariably wave me on. No, you have the right of way, I'm not going to throw myself out in front of you.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Uthor posted:

I've been getting a lot of good Samaritans stopping for me when I'm on my bike. The path crosses a few roads and has stop signs. The roads have warnings that there is a crossing, but no stop or yield signs. I'll see a car coming and stop. They stop and wave me on, then get pissed that I don't just roll out into traffic right away. Just follow the rules of the road and stop creating unpredictable situations.

Same thing would happen when I rode motorcycle at four way stops: there's a car at the stop as I roll up that will invariably wave me on. No, you have the right of way, I'm not going to throw myself out in front of you.

Same thing happens to me every time I go to Trader Joes. People that don't have a stop sign always stop to wave me through but I point at the stop sign and point at their lack of one and they usually figure it out.

The not parked car on the right has a white line suggesting a stop in the parking lot while people coming from the bottom of the picture don't have one, even thought it should because the people exiting from the road think they do and cut across them to go to the right side of the picture at full speed.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 8, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

El Jebus posted:

Same thing happens to me every time I go to Trader Joes. People that don't have a stop sign always stop to wave me through but I point at the stop sign and point at their lack of one and they usually figure it out.

I stop and make a show of reaching for my water bottle and taking a big chug of it. Usually they're all "oh poo poo I don't want to sit around while this bozo drinks" and motor off into the distance.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

El Jebus posted:

Same thing happens to me every time I go to Trader Joes

There's some rule that says a Trader Joes must have a shittastic parking lot. These are the two that I visit on occasion:

Note the cars parked along the sides of the main entrance to the lot (TJ's is the lower left corner). The other nearby entry/exit from the parking lot is a nasty little hill that's also running through the area where southbound traffic is losing a lane at the same time.

Giant loving no-mans-land triangle. Nobody approaching it has any idea which way they should go.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trader Joe's near me has a really weird triangle shaped lot too, it must be part of their franchise requirements.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

Trader Joe's near me has a really weird triangle shaped lot too, it must be part of their franchise requirements.

I think the stores are just small enough that they can tuck them into whatever little strip mall is available, unlike your usual grocery store with its standalone building and huge lot. The two near me have lovely lots that are easy to get into but a pain to leave.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yesterday while walking I saw a Beetle Convertible with a vanity plate and an obnoxious bumper sticker that said "Marda Loop Pace Car" with a little graphic of kids playing (Marda Loop being a local neighbourhood). I knew immediately that this man and I had nothing in common, and could never be friends. I'm willing to bet he drives like a pillock as well, although I can't say I actually saw.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I'm the 3rd car at a red light. Light turns green, first car lingers and starts to go through the intersection. Second car starts to drive through the intersection and I start to go. He slams on his brakes and throws on his left turn signal. I honk at him and stand on my brakes and hope the dude behind me doesn't slam into me. Dude was in such a way that it would have been impossible to pull around him while he waited for oncoming traffic. You had the whole light cycle to decide and you almost caused a loving accident.

Also, I almost hit a chicken that was crossing the street at 1 am this morning. 35 mph road and apparently there was a black chicken in the bike lane that my girlfriend noticed when I drove right by it. That would have been fun as gently caress to do with.

edit: I need a dash cam.

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

We found him not guilty.
It's too bad you couldn't recommend some kind of punitive measures towards the officers involved for wasting everyone's time with that kind of nonsense.

cats
May 11, 2009
Oh, lovely Trader Joe's parking lots?

This is always a loving clusterfuck. 33 spaces, almost always full so they have dudes waving you in and then you have to sit and wait cause the guy in front of you absolutely has to have the first spot and he's going to wait there, blocking the lady who's actually trying to get out of the spot he wants. And then there are no more spots so you have to circle around then try to squeeze in again, trying not to run over dumb undergrads. Everyone parks like poo poo, I used to take pictures of the atrocities taking up 2 spaces or parking at a 30* angle but sadly that phone went kaput. See the white car parked like a moron in the lower right hand corner? That's not an unusual sight. The lot to the left technically belongs to Bank of America but people park there anyway. What a disaster.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Trader Joe's parking lot near me isn't too bad. It's where Google says DSW is.

But if you look closely they're all 'compact' spots, except one row in the middle, which leads to some interesting parking. My guess is someone hosed up the lines and this was their solution.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sup Trader Joe's Bros

Don't even think about parking in the lot in front of the store on a weekend. It's just full of people blocking the way waiting for spaces.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Yesterday while walking I saw a Beetle Convertible with a vanity plate and an obnoxious bumper sticker that said "Marda Loop Pace Car" with a little graphic of kids playing (Marda Loop being a local neighbourhood). I knew immediately that this man and I had nothing in common, and could never be friends. I'm willing to bet he drives like a pillock as well, although I can't say I actually saw.

Royal Oak started doing this so I assume Marda Loop got in line to do the same thing. His job is to go slow so you have to follow him because the biggest threat to suburban kids is paedophiles the creeping death of our economy due to wage deflation and neoliberalism the environment speeding SUVs speeding teenagers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I park in the Qdoba parking lot next to my TJ's because the lot is allllllllways empty, because Qdoba sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I park in the Qdoba parking lot next to my TJ's because the lot is allllllllways empty, because Qdoba sucks.

It's just a Chipotle with an option for cheese sauce, I don't see an issue with that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Royal Oak started doing this so I assume Marda Loop got in line to do the same thing.

You mean his job (volunteer or otherwise) is to poo poo up his neighbourhood by driving his piece of crap around, aimlessly, going slow? Holy poo poo, I thought it was just a self-entitled twat, not an organized program. Well, I definitely would've yelled something at him if I'd known that...

My main problem with driving downtown (my neighbourhood, such as it is) is that people don't go fast enough. Yeah, I know the lanes are a little bit narrower, but I'm pretty sure you can still safely do at least 45 km/h. Dump trucks do it, I'm pretty sure you ought to be able to do it in your lovely Car2Go.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

You mean his job (volunteer or otherwise) is to poo poo up his neighbourhood by driving his piece of crap around, aimlessly, going slow? Holy poo poo, I thought it was just a self-entitled twat, not an organized program. Well, I definitely would've yelled something at him if I'd known that...

My main problem with driving downtown (my neighbourhood, such as it is) is that people don't go fast enough. Yeah, I know the lanes are a little bit narrower, but I'm pretty sure you can still safely do at least 45 km/h. Dump trucks do it, I'm pretty sure you ought to be able to do it in your lovely Car2Go.

The best part is, you used to be able to sign yourself the gently caress up.

KEEP YOUR TIRES WARM MOTHERFUCKER, I'M BOOKIN IT THROUGH HERE.

Looks like they ran into some legal trouble: http://www.calgaryherald.com/Community+wants+pace+cars+slow+traffic/8468282/story.html

Ironically, Royal Oak is one of the neighborhoods I remember for "worst drivers." Royal Oak/Rocky Ridge is straight up white entitlement, full of drivers who bang the steering lock to lock while screaming before stuffing their 8 ton SUV into a ditch. Community sponsored vigilantism is obviously the next step.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 9, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The best part is, you can sign yourself the gently caress up.

KEEP YOUR TIRES WARM MOTHERFUCKER, I'M BOOKIN IT THROUGH HERE.

I don't approve of speeding in residential areas, but jesus gently caress you must have to be an insufferable douche to actually put that on your car. Like the guy in my parents' neighbourhood who used to put a "children playing 30 km/h" sandwich board in front of his driveway. I always made sure to downshift right in front of his house...

EDIT: And those "30 for Sunnyside" chucklefucks (most of all, Druh loving Farrell) can go cram it up their rear end too.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 9, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I don't approve of speeding in residential areas, but jesus gently caress you must have to be an insufferable douche to actually put that on your car. Like the guy in my parents' neighbourhood who used to put a "children playing 30 km/h" sandwich board in front of his driveway. I always made sure to downshift right in front of his house...

Nah, I love those things. http://seat-safety-switch.tumblr.com/post/89827432889/i-love-those-plastic-frog-kid-signs-that-people

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

I actually don't mind these things when parents put them out when their kids are actually playing, but gently caress the people who keep them up 24/7.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sbyers77 posted:

I actually don't mind these things when parents put them out when their kids are actually playing, but gently caress the people who keep them up 24/7.

I dunno, it's kind of like the Baby on Board signs. Oh, well, I was going to drive unsafely and then ram into your car, but now that I see that sign, I'll be more cautious. Any time you're driving through a residential area, there's a very good chance children will be playing and you would be well-advised to drive in a manner that reflects that. If you need an extra sign to tell you so, you're a poo poo driver who shouldn't have a license.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

I dunno, it's kind of like the Baby on Board signs. Oh, well, I was going to drive unsafely and then ram into your car, but now that I see that sign, I'll be more cautious. Any time you're driving through a residential area, there's a very good chance children will be playing and you would be well-advised to drive in a manner that reflects that. If you need an extra sign to tell you so, you're a poo poo driver who shouldn't have a license.

I think the idea is to appeal to the sensibilities of the sort of driver who has kids, but is too distracted by them, their cell phone, and whatever else, to pay attention to their speed. It's more of a reminder for folks who might actually drive reasonably if they thought about it, than people who just don't give a poo poo. That said, I still think they're stupid, probably don't work, and I hate the whole 'my kids are more important than anything else' attitude.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 9, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I think the idea is to appeal to the sensibilities of the sort of driver who has kids, but is too distracted by them, their cell phone, and whatever else, to pay attention to their speed. It's more of a reminder for folks who might actually drive reasonably if they thought about it, than people who just don't give a poo poo. That said, I still think they're stupid, probably don't work, and I hate the whole 'my kids are more important than anything else' attitude.

To be fair, I would totally support numerous signs being placed everywhere that say, "Put down your loving cellphone and pay attention to the goddamn road!" It seems like that's what people need the most reminding about.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

I hate those loving signs.

"LOOK AT ME I FIGURED OUT HOW TO FIT TAB A INTO SLOT B!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PT6A posted:

To be fair, I would totally support numerous signs being placed everywhere that say, "Put down your loving cellphone and pay attention to the goddamn road!" It seems like that's what people need the most reminding about.

Would it be going too far to start honking at people when I see them texting and driving? I wondered about that the other day as I cruised up past someone in the classic head-down position.