Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nothing wrong with using lungs, it's just a matter of how you take care of your animals prior to slaughter and how careful you are during the process. Same goes for every part of the animal. There's not very much we waste or give to the dogs.
I hear your anus pie is talked of for miles around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a great lemon meringue pie recipe they want to share?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so the guy who invented the cronut released a version of his recipe

quote:

At-Home Cronut

Servings: Over 8
Difficulty: Extreme
Cook Time: Over 120 minutes

Ingredients

For the pastry dough:
3 3/4 cups flour, plus more as needed for dusting
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons Instant yeast (preferably SAF Gold Label)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons cold water
1 large egg white
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (84% butterfat), softened
1 tablespoon heavy cream
Nonstick cooking spray as needed
For the butter block:
18 tablespoons unsalted butter (84% butterfat), softened
Grapeseed oil as needed
Glaze of your choice as needed
Decorating sugar of your choice as needed
Special equipment:
Stand mixer with dough hook and whisk attachments
Ruler
Large offset spatula
3 1/2-inch (9 cm) ring cutter
1 inch (2.5 cm) ring cutter
Deep-frying thermometer
2 uncut piping bags
Wilton #230 Bismarck metal tip or other Bismarck tube
Ateco #803 plain tip (5/16-inch/0.8 cm diameter)

Cooking Directions

Two Days Before

Make ganache: Prepare one of the ganache recipes below and refrigerate until needed.

Make pastry dough: Combine the bread flour, salt, sugar, yeast, water, egg whites, butter, and cream in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix until just combined, about 3 minutes. When finished the dough will be rough and have very little gluten development.

Lightly grease a medium bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer the dough to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface of the dough, to prevent a skin from forming. Proof the dough in a warm spot until doubled in size, 2 to 3 hours.

Remove the plastic wrap and punch down the dough by folding the edges into the center, releasing as much of the gas as possible. On a piece of parchment paper, shape into a 10-inch (25 cm) square. Transfer to a sheet pan, still on the parchment paper, and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.

Make butter block: Draw a 7-inch (18 cm) square on a piece of parchment paper with a pencil. Flip the parchment over so that the butter won't come in contact with the pencil marks. Place the butter in the center of the square and spread it evenly with an offset spatula to fill the square. Refrigerate overnight.

One Day Before

Laminate: Remove the butter from the refrigerator. It should still be soft enough to bend slightly without cracking. If it is still too firm, lightly beat it with a

rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface until it becomes pliable. Make sure to press the butter back to its original 7-inch (18 cm) square after working it.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator, making sure it is very cold throughout. Place the dough on a floured work surface. Using the rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 10-inch (25.5 cm) square about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Arrange the butter block in the center of the dough so it looks like a diamond in the center of the square (rotated 45 degrees, with the corners of the butter block facing the center of the dough sides). Pull the corners of the dough up and over to the center of the butter block. Pinch the seams of dough together to seal the butter inside. You should have a square slightly larger than the butter block.

Very lightly dust the work surface with flour to ensure the dough doesn't stick. With a rolling pin, using steady, even pressure, roll out the dough from the center. When finished, you should have a 20-inch (50 cm) square about 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. (This is not the typical lamination technique and is unique to this recipe. When rolling out dough, you want to use as little flour as possible. The more flour you incorporate into the dough, the tougher it will be to roll out, and when you fry the At-Home Cronut pastries they will flake apart.)

Fold the dough in half horizontally, making sure to line up the edges so you are left with a rectangle. Then fold the dough vertically. You should have a 10-inch (25.5 cm) square of dough with 4 layers. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Repeat steps 3 and 4. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

The Day Of

Cut dough: On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 15-inch (40 cm) square about 1/2-inch (1.3 cm) thick. Transfer the dough to a half sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour to relax.

Using a 3 1/2-inch (9 cm) ring cutter, cut 12 rounds. Cut out the center of each round with a 1-inch (2.5 cm) ring cutter to create the doughnut shape.

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lightly dust the parchment with flour. Place the At-Home Cronut pastries on the pan, spacing them about 3 inches (8 cm) apart. Lightly spray a piece of plastic wrap with nonstick spray and lay it on top of the pastries. Proof in a warm spot until tripled in size, about 2 hours. (It's best to proof At-Home Cronut pastries in a warm, humid place. But if the proofing area is too warm, the butter will melt, so do not place the pastries on top of the oven or near another direct source of heat.

Fry dough: Heat the grapeseed oil in a large pot until it reaches 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Use a deep-frying thermometer to verify that the oil is at the right temperature. (The temperature of the oil is very important to the frying process. If it is too low, the pastries will be greasy; too high, the inside will be undercooked while the outside is burnt.) Line a platter with several layers of paper towels for draining the pastries.

Gently place 3 or 4 of them at a time into the hot oil. Fry for about 90 seconds on each side, flipping once, until golden brown. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on the paper towels.

Check that the oil is at the right temperature. If not, let it heat up again before frying the next batch. Continue until all of them are fried.

Let cool completely before filling.

Make glaze: Prepare the glaze below that corresponds to your choice of ganache.

Make flavored sugar: Prepare the decorating sugar on page 208 that corresponds to your choice of ganache.

Assemble: Transfer the ganache to a stand mixer fitted with a whisk. Whip on high speed until the ganache holds a stiff peak. (If using the Champagne-chocolate ganache, simply whisk it until smooth. It will be quite thick already.)

Cut the tip of a piping bag to snugly fit the Bismarck tip. Using a rubber spatula, place 2 large scoops of ganache in a piping bag so that it is one-third full. Push the ganache down toward the tip of the bag.

Place the decorating sugar that corresponds to your choice of ganache and glaze in a bowl.

Arrange each At-Home Cronut pastry so that the flatter side is facing up. Inject the ganache through the top of the pastry in four different spots, evenly spaced. As you pipe the ganache, you should feel the pastry getting heavier in your hand.

Place the pastry on its side. Roll in the corresponding sugar, coating the outside edges.

If the glaze has cooled, microwave it for a few seconds to warm until soft. Cut the tip of a piping bag to snugly fit a #803 plain tip. Using a rubber spatula, transfer the glaze to the bag. Push the glaze down toward the tip of the bag.

Pipe a ring of glaze around the top of each At-Home Cronut pastry, making sure to cover all the holes created from the filling. Keep in mind that the glaze will continue to spread slightly as it cools. Let the glaze set for about 15 minutes before serving.

Serving instructions: Because the At-Home Cronut pastry is cream-filled, it must be served at room temperature.

Storage instructions: Consume within 8 hours of frying. Leftover ganache can be stored in a closed airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 days. Leftover flavored sugar can keep in a closed airtight container for weeks and can be used to macerate fruits or sweeten drinks.

Ganaches

Vanilla Rose Ganache

1 gelatin sheet, 160 bloom (If you can't find gelatin sheets, use powdered gelatin. One gelatin sheet = 1 scant teaspoon [2.3 grams] powdered gelatin. For every teaspoon of gelatin, bloom in 1 tablespoon [15 grams] water.)

1 3/4 cups heavy cream

1 Vanilla bean (preferably Tahitian), split lengthwise, seeds scraped

1/2 cup white chocolate, finely chopped

4 tablespoons rose water

Soak the gelatin sheet in a bowl of ice water until soft, about 20 minutes. If using powdered gelatin, sprinkle 1 teaspoon (2.3 grams) gelatin over 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water in a small bowl, stir, and let sit 20 minutes to bloom.

Combine the heavy cream and vanilla bean seeds in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

If using a gelatin sheet, squeeze out any excess water. Whisk the bloomed gelatin into the cream until the gelatin is dissolved.

Place the white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds.

Whisk the white chocolate and hot cream until smooth. Add the rose water and whisk until fully blended. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the ganache, to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate overnight to set.

Whipped Lemon Ganache

2 gelatin sheets, 160 bloom (If you can't find gelatin sheets, use powdered gelatin. One gelatin sheet = 1 scant teaspoon [2.3 grams] powdered gelatin. For every teaspoon of gelatin, bloom in 1 tablespoon [15 grams] water.)

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream

Grated zest from one lemon

1/4 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup white chocolate, finely chopped

1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Soak the gelatin sheets in a bowl of ice water until soft, about 20 minutes. If using powdered gelatin, sprinkle 2 teaspoons (5 grams) gelatin over 2 tablespoons (30 grams) water in a small bowl, stir, and let sit 20 minutes to bloom.

Combine the cream, lemon zest, and sugar in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

If using gelatin sheets, squeeze out any excess water. Whisk the bloomed gelatin into the cream until the gelatin is dissolved.

Place the white chocolate in a small heatproof bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds.

Whisk the white chocolate and hot cream until smooth. Let the ganache cool to room temperature.

Whisk in the lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the ganache, to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate overnight to set.

Champagne-Chocolate Ganache

2 tablespoons water

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons champagne

1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 cup heavy cream

3 large egg yolks

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 cup + 1 tablespoon dark chocolate (66% cocoa content), finely chopped

Combine the water, 2 tablespoons (26 grams) of the Champagne, and the cocoa powder in a small bowl. Mix to a smooth paste.

Combine the cream and the remaining 1/4 cup (76 grams) Champagne in a small pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.

Whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar together in a small bowl. Stream one-third of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly until fully blended, to temper them. Whisk the tempered yolks into the remaining hot cream. Return the pot to medium heat.

Keep whisking! Continue to cook the custard over medium heat until it reaches 185 degrees F (85 degrees C). The custard will turn pale yellow and thicken so that it coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and whisk in the cocoa powder paste until fully incorporated.

Place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Strain the custard through a small sieve over the chocolate. Let stand for 30 seconds.

Whisk the chocolate and custard until smooth. When finished, the ganache will have the consistency of yogurt. Reserve 1/4 cup (50 grams) for the glaze. Cover with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the ganache, to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate overnight to set.

Flavored Sugars

Vanilla Sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

1 Vanilla bean (preferably Tahitian), split lengthwise, seeds scraped

Maple Sugar

1 cup granulated maple sugar

Orange Sugar

1 cup granulated sugar

Grated zest from one orange

Combine the sugar and its flavoring in a small bowl. Reserve until needed.

Glazes

Rose Glaze

1/2 cup glazing fondant (Glazing fondant is also known as "fondant icing" or "pastry fondant." It is similar to royal icing but remains shiny when it sets.)

2 tablespoons rose water

Lemon Glaze

1/2 cup glazing fondant (Glazing fondant is also known as "fondant icing" or "pastry fondant." It is similar to royal icing but remains shiny when it sets.)

Champagne-Chocolate Glaze

1/4 cup champagne-chocolate ganache (see above)

Warm the fondant in a small bowl in the microwave in 10-second intervals, stirring between intervals. When the fondant is slightly warm, about 20 seconds, add the corresponding flavor and stir until fully blended.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

meh, I'll just get mine at Jack in the Box :v:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I've eaten lung plenty of times in China. It's ok.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

mindphlux posted:

tl;dr

Like, for real. I am not interested in baking for three days to get twelve pastries.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Daeren posted:

tl;dr

Like, for real. I am not interested in baking for three days to get twelve pastries.

The DIY vs buy cost/benefit heavily weighs towards buying them, holy poo poo.

So where can I find one in Seattle?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I made cronuts awhile back by basically frying a laminated brioche dough. It's not that recipe obviously but they came out pretty good. I think I posted pictures in here at the time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Daeren posted:

tl;dr

yeah but that's kind of the point. douche mcgee posts a 12 page long recipe on good morning america whose viewership probably could not collectively cook a single dish of leaky scrambled egg without setting their face on fire, and everyone's just like 'oh, well I'll never make that, better just go buy one!'

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Seriously tho, they're not bad :x

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2014/08/jack_in_the_box_croissant_donut_cronut.php

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I mean I'll never make a laminated dough if I can help it but writing the recipe that way is deliberately trying to make it inaccessible, could easily just be 2 days

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

mindphlux posted:

If the baker is OK with just dipping it in cinnamon and sugar or something like that rather than glazes or ganache, that recipe shrinks down tremendously.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Phummus posted:

Its weird seeing the person you lost your virginity to on Halloween Wars.

Which pumpkin did you gently caress?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

Which pumpkin did you gently caress?

Right in the anise

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I brought back some rosemary honey from Portugal (when travelling in Europe I almost always bring back local honey) and I just had a bit on a spoon. So good. It had that very faint waxy taste which indicates (to me at least) that it hasn't been heavily processed.

I just had to have some more. It's a rich deep golden colour; full-flavoured but not too much as in a chestnut honey; and there is some brightness or acidity that slightly tempers the sweetness, which isn't sickly. God, I love good honey.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

I brought back some rosemary honey from Portugal (when travelling in Europe I almost always bring back local honey) and I just had a bit on a spoon. So good. It had that very faint waxy taste which indicates (to me at least) that it hasn't been heavily processed.
The waxy taste is wax. If you're into it whatever. But you can remove the wax by just letting the honey sit; the wax will end up forming a layer on top of the honey, which you can then just skim off. You can use a bain marie or whatever to speed the process, and if you keep the water temperature low you won't affect the honey itself (honey proteins start to break down around pasteurisation temperatures and this will affect flavour).

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
I just discovered tomatillos. I think these are my new favourite fruit. I prefer savoury things and these hit that spot but are way better than tomatoes. Kind of like tomatoes crossed with strawberries or something.

I may have had tomatillos before, but they'd have been in salsa verde or in some sort of prepared dish. Never had them on their own. I live in Canada and we don't have many Hispanics, so that's why...

Also I'm renting a place and there's some tomato plants growing which I thought were all still unripe (Canada) but turns out some of them are Green Zebras which are supposed to be green and they're actually not bad! Though not as good as tomatillos...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

The waxy taste is wax. If you're into it whatever. But you can remove the wax by just letting the honey sit; the wax will end up forming a layer on top of the honey, which you can then just skim off. You can use a bain marie or whatever to speed the process, and if you keep the water temperature low you won't affect the honey itself (honey proteins start to break down around pasteurisation temperatures and this will affect flavour).

I dunno, if the honey he is talking about is anything like the honey I've found in europe (and sadly no where else really), it's like almost as if the wax has been pureed into the honey. it doesn't separate out - and it is so so tasty because of it.

I had this one I picked up from Belgium on my last euro trip that lasted me a long time because I'd hate to eat it, it was so good. you could make quenelles out of the honey - it sat like semi-soft butter or nutella or something. once you put it in your mouth it just melted though. mmmmmmm

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's honey semi-crystalizing due to the presence of excess moisture. A mark of the small scale bee keeper.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Does Budapest have any honey of note or is that not east/rural enough? I already plan to bring as much Hungarian Salami and Unicum as my bags will allow but some variety wouldn't hurt and there sure isn't any honey of note sold where I live. :v:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

The waxy taste is wax, huh? Gosh, I had no idea*. I don't mind the waxy taste, I was just commenting on it. It isn't strong.

The protein breaking down at temperature, however, I did not know. I've been known to microwave crystallised honey to melt it, but I guess that's stopping.

*We aren't all complete morons, even if we aren't quite as clever as you.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's honey semi-crystalizing due to the presence of excess moisture. A mark of the small scale bee keeper.

that would make sense - it got more like this the longer we had it, and our city is a humid place. I really didn't think it had to do with wax, because it completely melts in your mouth if you eat a glob - and waxy honey doesn't usually do that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Other way around. Honey is a supersaturated sugar solution. Crystalisation is it deciding to become a more stable saturated solution. It does this by having one of its sugars---glucose---give up some water to become glucose monohydrate, increasing the amount of water in the solution. The wetter the honey is to start out, the less likely it is (all else being equal) to spontaneously crystalise.

therattle posted:

The protein breaking down at temperature, however, I did not know. I've been known to microwave crystallised honey to melt it, but I guess that's stopping.
Yeah, around a percent, give or take, of honey is left over bee spit (that is, the enzymes that turned the pollen into honey in the first place) and it's the really fragile stuff in honey.

The ritualistically pure way to liquify crystalised honey is a bain marie with the water around 40 C/104 F. It'll take around a half an hour, give or take depending on how much honey you're talking about.

Heating honey to higher temperatures won't make it unsafe or even unpalatable (although it will caramelise like any other blob of sugar if you heat it enough), and you may or may not even notice the changes in flavour and odour. But yeah. Overheating honey is a thing.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I got a phonecall from a doc who had a patient with an extremely slow heartbeat, he told me she mentioned eating honey. He figured she must've mixed up some jars, but he couldn't understand the words on the jar and he couldn't understand the patient either (Turkish old woman).
The fact that it came from Turkey immediately rang a bell, mad honey! Her son had taken a jar home from a recent trip and forgot to inform his mother.
(mad honey is honey made from the flowers rhododendrons, they contain grayanotoxins....amongst other things, it is meant to raise your libido, that's how many young men get to spend their wedding night in the ER)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Huh... Never understood the liquid honey that you get in the states, all I ever had was more solid like, thought it had something to do with the tastes that Americans prefer.

Also - the honey that I grew up on was not monoculture honey, it was one hell of a mix from the different orchards on the farm, the flowers in the garden and the woods - I've always found that the not-mixed kind (chestnut, Apple, sunflower and whatever the gently caress the kids have in The cupboards) were missing some nuances.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Huh... Never understood the liquid honey that you get in the states, all I ever had was more solid like, thought it had something to do with the tastes that Americans prefer.

Also - the honey that I grew up on was not monoculture honey, it was one hell of a mix from the different orchards on the farm, the flowers in the garden and the woods - I've always found that the not-mixed kind (chestnut, Apple, sunflower and whatever the gently caress the kids have in The cupboards) were missing some nuances.

Yeah, I like mixed honeys like heather or wildflower.

That said, something like this rosemary honey or a nice orange blossom has its merits too.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Yeah, I like mixed honeys like heather or wildflower.

That said, something like this rosemary honey or a nice orange blossom has its merits too.

Most definitely, it has been interesting to sample the local monoculture honey from the different markets in Alsace and Provence, but the wildflower honey from the alps is something else too..

I guess what I am saying is that I actually grew up on crazy quality honey, and have been spoiled by it some - to the extend that white sugar was seen as a step up.

Also - learned from gourd that our white sugar is different than yours, I thought your white sugar was beet sugar too.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Kinda like eel, smoked or fried, we ate that constantly... To the extend that a pork belly was a treat.

Now, not so much.

The wife is encouraging me to become a bitter old man, I think I am fulfilling her wishes..

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Honey is often whipped with air in European countries to stiffen it. To clarify it again just heat it gently.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Most definitely, it has been interesting to sample the local monoculture honey from the different markets in Alsace and Provence, but the wildflower honey from the alps is something else too..

I guess what I am saying is that I actually grew up on crazy quality honey, and have been spoiled by it some - to the extend that white sugar was seen as a step up.

Also - learned from gourd that our white sugar is different than yours, I thought your white sugar was beet sugar too.

Mmm, I got some fantastic forest honey in Annecy a few years back.

Hey! We are actually talking about food. What gives?

I really like eel but I haven't eaten it for years since I learned how endangered it's become. :(

In the UK white sugar is cane sugar, I think. Makes sense given history of colonialism, slavery etc.

Which reminds me of a wonderful passage in Mason & Dixon (Thomas Pynchon) set in 1760s America, where Quaker Dixon refuses the many sugared treats on offer as sugar was produced by slaves in the West Indies. (His latest, Bleeding Edge, is also absolutely fantastic).

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I had some great success making egg noodles this week (though, I learned my girlfriend might be allergic to shallots, ... problematic), and now I want to make a hearty chicken noodle soup. I've been reading about white vs brown stock made by hand and I'm not sure I want to go the whole carcass route yet. If I were to just buy thighs and premade stock is there any store bought chicken stock that is considered worthy to be made into soup?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

nuru posted:

I had some great success making egg noodles this week (though, I learned my girlfriend might be allergic to shallots, ... problematic), and now I want to make a hearty chicken noodle soup. I've been reading about white vs brown stock made by hand and I'm not sure I want to go the whole carcass route yet. If I were to just buy thighs and premade stock is there any store bought chicken stock that is considered worthy to be made into soup?

When I have to use store bought stock...I tend to go for Kitchen Basics. They have a variety, and its pretty decent for store stuff. http://www.mccormick.com/Gourmet/Kitchen-Basics

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Happy Hat posted:

We have beet sugar in the US. White cane sugar isn't technically vegan because it's bleached with bone char, so if you can't use raw sugar, you have to use certain brands that only use beet sugar when you're doing whatever vegan poo poo for whatever reason (to take their money).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Skinny King Pimp posted:

We have beet sugar in the US. White cane sugar isn't technically vegan because it's bleached with bone char, so if you can't use raw sugar, you have to use certain brands that only use beet sugar when you're doing whatever vegan poo poo for whatever reason (to take their money).

There are white cane sugar brands in the United States that are not bleached with bone char (Whole Foods' own brand, for instance).

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

ulmont posted:

There are white cane sugar brands in the United States that are not bleached with bone char (Whole Foods' own brand, for instance).

Trust me, when you're cooking for vegans, it's best to just use beet sugar.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
When cooking for vegans, it's best to order take-out from a vegan restaurant and show them the receipt.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ulmont posted:

:smug: In New York, Domino's sugar, which produces drat near all our sugar up here, is vegan. If you flip the bag, and the processing plant is Yonkers (which is usually is; I have yet to see it here from another plant), it's vegan. Also, I thiiiiiink Florida Crystals is also vegan. And if the Dominos sugar has been processed in Orlando, it's also vegan.

ALSO. Managed to run down to Chinatown, grab tofu and soy sauce (both were running low), a 3 lb thingy of somen noodles (it cost like $4, shut up and stop judging me), get to the temp agency to fill out my I-9 form, and made it back before noon to get the room cleaned up for when Puppy gets back from the gym. It's been a productive day, and it's gorgeous outside. Unfortunately, the tofus kind of leaked in my bag, so I was running around with a wet bottom (which I covered with my jacket) and wet backpack, which I have set in front of the fan right now. Hopefully it'll be dry enough before 2:00~ish when I head out again to do all the other things I need to get done today. WHOO!

dino. fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 9, 2014

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

:getin: <----click the frog do it do it

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Which city is better? Palo Alto or Houston?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?
Palo Alto