Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The best post ever in NMD raps was when someone posted the ridiculous feature list for Jesus Piece and someone asked what it was and cool buff guy said it was just the lyrics to game's latest hood banger.

Hate it or Love it is an all time classic but I agree with Robert Analog, Game seems like the biggest dickrider of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The best post ever in NMD raps was when someone posted the ridiculous feature list for Jesus Piece and someone asked what it was and cool buff guy said it was just the lyrics to game's latest hood banger.

Hahaha yeah I was just thinking about that too. That, or something that bstyles clown posted before falling off the face of the earth.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Dreams is the best Game song because it actually puts his name dropping to good use.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Name dropping done right https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMF7TgHGozk

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I was hoping that link was this so badly
http://youtu.be/HksJCN5YPSc

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
New Gunplay tape is p sweet so far. It's a lot like 601 & Snort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xHrazXwZNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVZ3N-lgao

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hate it or Love it is an all time classic but I agree with Robert Analog, Game seems like the biggest dickrider of all time

Holy crap that is a ridiculous feature list. Is the album any good?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

keevo posted:

Holy crap that is a ridiculous feature list. Is the album any good?

I think it's his best album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXXiR6hi7R0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4ZvfkmOck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6_qRZFUITM

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I like the new Vince Staples.

The DJ on the Gunplay tape ruins most songs though jesus

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Crumbletron posted:

I like the new Vince Staples.

The DJ on the Gunplay tape ruins most songs though jesus

That's how I feel about it too. I think I've been spoiled by mixtapes like Flatbush & UA where it's more like a free album with no dj. The Gunplay tape is good but out of a little over 40 minutes there's probably at least. 5+ minutes of the DJ talking over it / running records back.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Baram posted:

That's how I feel about it too. I think I've been spoiled by mixtapes like Flatbush & UA where it's more like a free album with no dj. The Gunplay tape is good but out of a little over 40 minutes there's probably at least. 5+ minutes of the DJ talking over it / running records back.

It doesn't help that most of the time the DJ is mixed louder so you've got the song going and this dude breaks your eardrums yelling about how you're listening to a Gunplay song on the Gunplay mixtaped titled "Gunplay"

at least Drama usually lets dudes do their thing

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
"You get what you pay for".

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Swamp izzZZOOoooo

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

It's honestly surprising that dude at one point was considered a top-notch rapper. Like I can't even remember any of his "good" songs at this point.

I can't really fucks with him after G Unit deaded his career (The documentary was as much 50 Cent's vision as it was the Games, if not more), but as a fan of real rap, this poo poo is dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cSsVgQpF4

I like his Martian track with Tyler the Creator and Lil Wayne too, I guess......

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 9, 2014

LunaSky
Sep 10, 2008

Even Diablo has a soft side
A friend of mine showed this to me it's really good. It reminds me of some old school rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Cy1Knyu6A

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Yuzenn posted:

I can't really fucks with him after G Unit deaded his career (The documentary was as much 50 Cent's vision as it was the Games, if not more), but as a fan of real rap, this poo poo is dope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cSsVgQpF4

I like his Martian track with Tyler the Creator and Lil Wayne too, I guess......
yeah im a fan of "real rap" too bro....real g poo poo fam. you feel me bruh? we eatin out here. we bout dat life

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Did school let out and BYOB is down all at the same time?

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

LunaSky posted:

A friend of mine showed this to me it's really good. It reminds me of some old school rap.

I never knew this was a thing until now

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

here's an idea: maybe you can stop jacking off about "real rap" every time you post and stop being an embarrassing loving nerd that thinks there's such a thing as REAL RAP

Yuzenn posted:

Every music video Fab releases makes me like the song that much more. His soul tapes are dope as poo poo and I'm glad someone is holding NY down with his soulful sound and storytelling.

Not that Waka Flocka "I can't rap" GARBAGE.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

here's an idea: maybe you can stop jacking off about "real rap" every time you post and stop being an embarrassing loving nerd that thinks there's such a thing as REAL RAP

Cool, thanks for the input bro. Glad you came.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Budget Cop posted:

not sure what you're trying to say here. do you mean it sounds very west coast? because well...duh

Budget Cop posted:

yeah im a fan of "real rap" too bro....real g poo poo fam. you feel me bruh? we eatin out here. we bout dat life

Budget Cop posted:

:frogout:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

ah yeah sorry for asking one guy what he meant (not even sure what you're trying to point out with that) and calling another dude out on his dumbass posts about "real rap". i'm really sorry there's hostility in the White Suburban Dads Listen To Rap Music Thread. it's terrifying that you people actually have to interact with the violent blacks you normally never see.

please people do not argue or show aggression in the Rap Music Thread. this is a safe space for white people to post really stupid opinions on what they see as Real Rap Music

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

ah yeah sorry for asking one guy what he meant (not even sure what you're trying to point out with that) and calling another dude out on his dumbass posts about "real rap". i'm really sorry there's hostility in the White Suburban Dads Listen To Rap Music Thread. it's terrifying that you people actually have to interact with the violent blacks you normally never see.

please people do not argue or show aggression in the Rap Music Thread. this is a safe space for white people to post really stupid opinions on what they see as Real Rap Music

I'm not white so.....what?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

you're an idiot. anyway, some content from today-

* if you liked the production on blue chips 2, new Party Supplies feat Bronsolino
* new Raekwon
* ferg is getting a Gangsta Grillz (DJ Drama) tape sometime in the near future (he's also working on a proper follow-up to Trap Lord). pretty excited about that. I know this has already been posted but just in case anyone missed it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myl0zrvAuhE

edit: \/\/\/ lol

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Yuzenn posted:

cool except i never thought you were and didn't refer to you specifically at all in that post? my point is that in the previous thread there were tons of retards that posted nonstop about "real rap music" despite having a cushy life growing up in the suburbs and people like thathonkey got mad when i called them out on that. you're just some rap purist who probably thinks there's a difference between hip-hop and rap which is pretty bad too

thathonkey posted:

you're an idiot. anyway, some content from today-
lol cool that you clam up as soon as you realise you'll actually have to respond to the scary ppl. i guess your nonstop posting in the game of thrones threads didn't prepare you for an actual discussion !! :eyepop:

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LunaSky posted:

Owns.

I might buy the album because I love weird hip-hop like this.

Here's something even stranger (also owns, except I can't speak Mongolian so I've got no idea what they are singing about):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuVLjAhsw-w

Apparently hip-hop has been picking up a lot in Mongolia among young people as internet access has picked up. These guys decided their version of hip-hop needed to better represent their culture. So they added polyphonic throat singing.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

cool except i never thought you were and didn't refer to specifically at all in that post? my point is that in the previous thread there were tons of retards that posted nonstop about "real rap music" despite having a cushy life growing up in the suburbs. you're just some rap purist who probably thinks there's a difference between hip-hop and rap which is pretty bad too

lol cool that you clam up as soon as you realise you'll actually have to respond the scary ppl. i guess your nonstop posting in the game of thrones threads didn't prepare you for an actual discussion !! :eyepop:

:byodood: Really?

quote:

It's cool if you don't agree with me, and I'm open to discussion about what Rap's role as an art and how its evolved and what its role is in black culture. We can even discuss me being a Rap Purist cause I kinda am, but you came in the thread trying to troll and are doing a 180 so hard you might fracture your hips trying to backtrack on the lol nerds post content when you got called out on it....

So what's it going to be, you going to rifle through the post history of everyone who doesn't agree with your post quality or you going to contribute?

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2014

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Yuzenn posted:

:byodood: Really?

It's cool if you don't agree with me, and I'm open to discussion about what Rap's role as an art and how its evolved and what its role is in black culture. We can even discuss me being a Rap Purist cause I kinda am, but you came in the thread trying to troll and are doing a 180 so hard you might fracture your hips trying to backtrack on the lol nerds post content drivel from above....

So what's it going to be, you going to rifle through the post history of everyone who doesn't agree with your post quality or you going to contribute?
yeah except like i said that refers to the fact that the thread often turns into white ppl arguing about what is real rap or not. if i wanted to call you out on being "white" i would have done so in the first place (unless blacks can't be nerds anymore i guess??) i would actually prefer to have an actual discussion on what you think about rap music and the fact that you consider yourself a purist because that's actually interesting and contributes more than:

thathonkey posted:

some content from today-
* if you liked the production on blue chips 2, new Party Supplies feat Bronsolino
* new Raekwon
* ferg is getting a Gangsta Grillz (DJ Drama) tape sometime in the near future (he's also working on a proper follow-up to Trap Lord). pretty excited about that. I know this has already been posted but just in case anyone missed it -
a loving copy paste from 2dopeboyz that just makes the thread seems like KTT or r/hhh lite. i don't know if anyone read alansmithee's super long (but extremely good) op but he meant for this thread to be more than just a link aggregator that you could find anywhere else

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 9, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Yuzenn posted:

Yo.. welcome.. not white person.. with that said, I'm the kind of N*gga that only listen to Conscious Rappers.. A rapper who keeps it 100 (that means real, legit), he doesn't give you a flashy show with bells and whistles, and he doesn't brag about how much money he has. He doesn't brag about money, hoes, drugs, drug life, being in the Trap, thots, the struggle, etc.. No spinning rims none of that. A conscious rapper is someone who is REAL, I mean REAL REAL. no corny one liner bars, no cute lil plays on words, nothing commercial, The Only REAL Conscious rappers I could think of to give you a good example, would have to be Eminem (Marshal Mathers from Detroit Michigan).

Sad Song about the Struggle of having a Daughter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzEAyUrv4A8

Real Song about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiFn5wUfaik

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Budget Cop posted:

yeah except like i said that refers to the fact that the thread often turns into white ppl arguing about what is real rap or not. if i wanted to call you out on being "white" i would have done so in the first place (unless blacks can't be nerds anymore i guess??) i would actually prefer to have an actual discussion on what you think about rap music because that's actually interesting and contributes more than:

a loving copy paste from 2dopeboyz that just makes the thread seems like KTT or r/hhh lite. i don't know if anyone read alansmithee's super long (but extremely good) op but he meant for this thread to be more than just a link aggregator that you could find anywhere else

I mean your first post about me was a veiled attempt to insinuate that I am white or at least act white

quote:

I'm good though, ill leave it at that you are entitled to your own opinion. I'm not gonna keep assisting in this derail...

*^PS above guy you don't have to censor the word Nigga and I think Eminem is the most lyrically talented rapper alive

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 9, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Hey Budget Cop, if you read the thread regularly, it has always been a pretty healthy mix of link share posts, reaction posts, and discussion posts. Nobody is going to complain if you want to start an interesting discussion about something we haven't talked about before or even something we have if you think you have something to add (especially if you do it politely). Sorry you've failed miserably at all of these things so far. you're no alansmithee :(

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Pathetic poo poo rappers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2XK8mZELk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F1UjgqcHM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD6AfcoG4o8

These suck cause they only rap about stupid poo poo that doesn't make sense lol.. don't post this kind of crap, they aren't even Dope and that poo poo don't even Bang cause they don't have deep deep lyrics that make me look them up on RapGenius.com to see their inner meaning and double entendre. Still, whatever floats your boat fam.. *

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
ALSO: you're loving autistic if you listen to Ja Rule after Fitty (50 cent) MURKED his career.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Yuzenn posted:

I mean your first thread was a veiled attempt to insinuate that I am white or at least act white

I'm good though, ill leave it at that you are entitled to your own opinion. I'm not gonna keep assisting in this derail...

*^PS above guy you don't have to censor the word Nigga and I think Eminem is the most lyrically talented rapper alive
i wasn't actually trying to insinuate you where white with that but were instead mocking people that try to act real. doesn't matter what race they are. if you don't want to say anything further that's fine but i was genuinely interested in what you thought about modern rap culture as a "rap purist"

thathonkey posted:

Hey Budget Cop, if you read the thread regularly, it has always been a pretty healthy mix of link share posts, reaction posts, and discussion posts. Nobody is going to complain if you want to start an interesting discussion about something we haven't talked about before or even something we have if you think you have something to add (especially if you do it politely). Sorry you've failed miserably at all of these things so far. you're no alansmithee :(
lol this and the previous thread have never been "a pretty healthy mix of link share posts, reaction posts, and discussion posts". people that try to start discussions are often shouted down and alansmithee is one of the only people to call out poo poo like tenacioustomato's blog copy+paste bullshit. probably one of the reasons why excellent posters like farmtrill stopped posting here.

also lol at

quote:

(especially if you do it politely)
a rap thread shouldn't be a loving hugbox

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

I AM BRAWW posted:

ALSO: you're loving autistic if you listen to Ja Rule after Fitty (50 cent) MURKED his career.

At least we can agree on something!

Budget Cop posted:

i wasn't actually trying to insinuate you where white with that but were instead mocking people that try to act real. doesn't matter what race they are. if you don't want to say anything further that's fine but i was genuinely interested in what you thought about modern rap culture as a "rap purist"

lol this and the previous thread have never been "a pretty healthy mix of link share posts, reaction posts, and discussion posts". people that try to start discussions are often shouted down and alansmithee is one of the only people to call out poo poo like tenacioustomato's blog copy+paste bullshit. probably one of the reasons why excellent posters like farmtrill stopped posting here.

also lol at
a rap thread shouldn't be a loving hugbox

Alright now we have something to discuss. I'm probably a bit older than some of the people on this thread, but outside of catchyness and entertainment certain artists (lets use the given examples of Waka Flocka, or a French Montana, or even sometimes in a 2 Chainz) I don't personally think their music adds a lot of value towards the art or for the culture most of the time. That doesn't mean that it can't be good, or entertaining, or fun!

I grew up on Biggie and Pac and Big L and Big Pun (golden era) but what those guys all had that an alarming amount of rappers lack is a knack for telling a story behing their raps. There are a lot of guys who have some great production or energy behind what they do but that's it. Even a guy I listened to non stop in Cam'ron changed his style very deliberately from a danger zone Big L style rapper into a nursery rhyme simplistic style of rap. Know what? Dipset was catchy and fun as all hell. I'll give you another example: Kick in the door, which is one of my absolute favorite rap songs, is definitely about some ignorant rear end poo poo but it tells a very specific and vivid story (albeit using some very negative depictions of gun and violence towards women). Pac was also one of those artists who on top of being an actual poet (if you havn't read his books you should) and a really powerful actor and rapper, penned some extremely powerful songs that really resonate to this day. Honestly me being a "Rap Purist" may be a function of being of the age when people tend to start families but I have no problem rationalizing what those rappers meant to me growing up and how they were important to society, but some of these other artists will be a little more difficult to be apologetic about.

With that said, rap is intertwined with a whole lot of poo poo that isn't positive and is sometimes damaging, but at the end of the day that isn't always rap/hip hop/r&b's job. Music is perfectly fine about being just about enjoying it for whatever reason, for its ignorance, or how it makes you feel, or just to roll some weed up to...whatever. I can't get enough of ASAP Rocky, Pusha T, Slaughterhouse, Battle Rap etc etc etc, but at the same time I don't personally think some artists that make music right now are very talented either lyrically or in the content of what they say. For example, I'm not a Gucci fan but I know a lot of people in the thread are. I'm a Childish Gambino fan, and I know a lot of people don't like him on the thread as well, but the purpose of the thread is to expose each other to what we think is good and people can make their own decisions and opinions from there, no?

All and all I just want rappers to put together coherent pieces of work and stories again, and if possible tell about how they see the world positive or negative. I bought Joell Ortiz's album and I can't wait for Big KRIT's albums because I think they have unique and interesting views and things to tell about their lives and how rap is intertwined with it.

TLDR;

I will be blasting Hot Nigga in my car on the way back home but I know that it's not really indicative of the rap that I love. But gently caress it sounds great.

Sorry for being all old man Ebro here and seriousing up the thread, ill go back to sticking to linking after this post, I swear.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2014

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Budget Cop posted:

well, the new thread had been going great for 40 pages and everyone was getting along nicely until you started posting. now we just have a rehash of the same lovely slap fight that occurred in the previous thread at least a dozen times going on. if you have some new point to make, or want to start a discussion about something more specific without trolling, then that'd be great. otherwise - and i'll say "please" this time since I feel so scared and threatened by you - please leave.

ps. alansmithee and tenacioustomato are two of the thread's best posters but for completely different reasons :shrug:

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

thathonkey posted:

well, the new thread had been going great for 40 pages and everyone was getting along nicely until you started posting. now we just have a rehash of the same lovely slap fight that occurred in the previous thread at least a dozen times going on. if you have some new point to make, or want to start a discussion about something more specific without trolling, then that'd be great. otherwise - and i'll say "please" this time since I feel so scared and threatened by you - please leave.

ps. alansmithee and tenacioustomato are two of the thread's best posters but for completely different reasons :shrug:
i don't know why you're acting as if you have some kind of authority over the NMD Rap Thread but it's weird/slightly pathetic and i don't know what alternate reality you're living in if you think the thread was "getting along nicely" (wtf? do you think you're in kindergarten or something?) up until now.

also yeah you're right everything was going good until i started posting all the way back on page 1

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 9, 2014

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

LunaSky posted:

Thank you for this. I'll ride with him.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Bad thread, bad posts. For shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I would ride horses with that dude any day.

Seriously though that video and song are quite good I had no idea.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 9, 2014